• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo World Smash Trailer

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Try coming to a school with a Game Design program. We have a ton of each. It's like War practically.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear a battlecry of "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" and "Threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"in the hallways. Wait, Xbox? Whats that?

=p

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Yea, PS3 and Xbox360; they're slogans are "our graphics kick a**!!!" which is very shallow and hollow in and of itself. But America loves it's quality, so it actually works. I hate seeing ******** marketing ploys that work, proves stupidity of Americans.

But Nintendo is like, "we got good graphics too, not the best. BUT what we do have is awesome gameplay!" This is when the smart, logical, people stand out. They get it and get their graphic ***** buddies in on it too. This is where the Wind Waker people come back and draw the WW-haters over.

Everyone remebers that right? A simpler time. You were a WW-lover or a hater. My best friend would not go near it, because of the "crappy grahics." Actually, the graphics were amazing, all the cel-shadings were smooth and flow into one another. The texture on all the cel's were flat, yet life-like,. What they MEANT to say was "crappy ANIMATION," which I still like.

.....I forget what we were talking about..................
YAY FOR WII!

piZ

Smash Journeyman
I don't see much difference between Zelda and Resistance, and for the record, TP looks a helluva lot better then Oblivion on 360.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
psst... TP was made for the GC. It is technically a port.
yes, it is

also, to support the above quote, the graphics in TP are what a maxed out gamecube can play. wii can do a lot better.

heres a piece of the article from gamepro.

"Strong Graphical Similarities
Despite the radical control differences and mirrored gameplay, the Wii and GameCube versions of Twilight Princes look nearly identical. Critics have attacked the Wii's supposedly underpowered hardware specs, citing Twilight Princess as an example. However, because the game was developed to be interchangeable between the two systems, Twilight Princess isn't a pure Wii game, but rather a maxed out GameCube game. As Nintendo's Harrison explains, the graphics in both versions of the game represent a GameCube title running at full potential. "

BentoBox

Smash Master
"Qft" my ***.

Now go watch cassmassina's TP video review and dare say that the graphics are this pretty. (The lighting alone makes all the difference)

"Low poly characters and environments, generally speaking, and Nintendo really hasn't been concerning itself with high-resolution [...] sort of crisp textures. As a result, especially during cinematics when the camera's framed up close, you'll be able to see some very blurry background objects"

Stop being such fanboys. 06falcon pretty much resumed it all, those are GC graphics. Now I cannot wait to see the Wii at its full potential, but stop spitting so much crap. When Nintendo itself stated that they wouldn't be competiting on common fields, why is it that you guys just feel the -urge- to prove yourselves right. If you really don't care as much about graphics, then I can perfectly understand why you wouldn't be able to see the difference between pretty and pixelated.

And Kabyk, sorry but I hated WW's gfx. Not because I'm a gfx *****, but because it took out all the mysterious atmosphere OOT had going on in the dungeons and whatnot. I remember how I was scared of the shadow and spirit temples simply because the lighting, the sombre colors and the overall environment added so much to the gloomy atmosphere. In WW, everything was bright and happy, nothing scared me nor made my heart beat faster than usual. The general feel of being part of a cartoon is what made WW sucky, in my opinion. But I guess it's so much more easier to label someone who didn't like the game as a graphic *****, eh? Perfect example of how gfx play big roles in games in general. Immersion plays as much of a role as Gameplay, and is a pretty big selling point aswell.

xRedDeathx

Smash Cadet
Leonardtown, MD - Player Name: the Exodus (EXDS)
i know it was mentioned before in this topic but....

does this trailer basically just show us that wavedashing is still in the game? if you pay attention to the video at 2:05 on fora bit, (where wario, metaknight, zamus, and snake i think are fighting on the halberd) you'll see a couple displays of what appears to be wavelanding. if u first watch meta knight, youll see that there is a part where he is in the air towards the middle of the screen, comes down and lands on the platform, sliding to the left before he continues dashing off of it. if you watchw wario, youll see that he is knocked off the stage, double jumps back, and lands sliding towards an approaching metaknight. in either case, youll see the puffy smoke clouds that show that the characters did indeed land while in thier falling animation, and move forward extremely quickly with out the spiky puff of smoke that shows they are dashing.

i know it was said by someone already (too lazy to reread this entire topic >_<) but i felt it was an important thing to discuss.

xRedDeathx

Smash Cadet
Leonardtown, MD - Player Name: the Exodus (EXDS)
i would appreciate if you would read my post better. i was not referring to the quick movemnet made by metaknight to dodge kirby. i for one had always thought that was a roll.

what i was talking about was around 2:05, where both metaknight AND wario slide immediatley after landing. its in the same part that zamus does her wierd falcon-kick-down thing.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Wavedashing and wavelanding are essentially the same thing. Dodging towards the ground when in the air. Now as it's already been "confirmed" that they've replaced "wavedashing" with a similar technique, I don't see why that wouldn't apply to the wavelanding aswell.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
about the graphics,Im nintendo ALL THE WAY(waited in line for 10 hours for the wii playing DS), but I will not deny that GC and the Wii have the exact same graphics. People have taken out every sqaure milimeter of the system and found it to be exactly the same. Now don't be like
"Actually, the smoother gameplay and nice texcturing really make it seem nicer."
Yes, there is better texturing(they took more time putting details on the models), and the game defifnitely is much smoother(more RAM).I will always love the haters of lovely graphic loving(hehehe) but I will not disagree with what truth their opinions still hold just to make the Wii seem better in EVERY aspect. Besides graphics and downloading music, the Wii has everyone else beat.Don't believe me?
<("<)
"THEN BELIEVE KIRBY!"

Pit 42

Smash Lord
This trailer looks amazing!! My only complaint is the lonely addition of Fox. Couldn't they have added, perhaps, one character we all knew was going to return and one all-new, never before seen character?

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
they shudve surprised us all with some completely unexpected thing (not crawling wtf) but still it makes me tingle everytime i watch it. zamus drool :p

DSB

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen so far, Wii is a bit more powerful than an Xbox. Expect games that look better in the future, but nothing that surpasses even the launch 360 games (which is still good for a console that is technically 4 times less powerful that its competitors).

However, since Brawl will not have Wiimote support (maybe for minigames but that's it) the devs should really make it a game with stunning graphics and great online. I'm no graphic ***** but let's face it : since SSBB will not use motion sensing as it's main control scheme (thus not fitting in Nintendo's "new-gen" philosophy), it's basically a last-gen game with online support. It's up to Sakurai's team to make a game that will still look impressive after a couple of years like it was the case with Melee.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I don't think that the graphics in brawl will be that great. Remember when you first saw the intro movie in Melee and you said "Wow, this game's graphics rock!!" and then the graphics in the game were of lesser quality than the opening? I think the same will go for Brawl.

Also, I was a bit disappointed about the official site's update, which only displayed a new comment from Sakurai and the trailer.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Uhh, how should I say this?
The Gamecube is on par with the Xbox
The Wii is on Par with the GC
Do you know what makes good graphics?
Effort.Not graphics card. It has the exact same software and hardware.
Kirby says so
<("<)

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
True F&V, and getting used to new hardware.

What I mean is, look at FFX, they worked really hard getting those graphics.
Now look at FFXII, in game graphics are a decent step up, and they thought that FFX graphics were the limit.

Also, look at Chrono Trigger and FFIX. Same system, complete independant levels of graphics, with Chrono Trigger being closer to say, SNES.

DSB, stop coming here. In fact, stop supporting Nintendo, because the motion-sensor is not their "next-gen theme," it is the interactivity [which is the motion-sensor, but not entirely] and the concept of BEST GAMEPLAY. I couldn't care if Brawl had same graphics as N64, the game is so good that it defies graphics, that's what good games do. Just look at Chrono Trigger and Wind Waker.

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
I'm don't think that crawling and better rolls means that there won't be any wavedashing in Brawl. I mean, it might do, but right now thats hardly enough to confirm it.

Sensai

Smash Master
Kabyk...are you talking about the movie parts in Chrono Trigger? If not, then it looks like a SNES game because it WAS a SNES game.

Or do I misunderstand?

And yes, it's all up to the developers. Look at any given DS game (seriously, go look up one on the internet) and then look at FFIII. Notice the difference in graphics? It's absurd.

piZ

Smash Journeyman
but I will not deny that GC and the Wii have the exact same graphics. People have taken out every sqaure milimeter of the system and found it to be exactly the same.
Link or it didn't happen.

I will admit, the wii isn't that huge of a leap from the gamecube, (really, who cares?) but you can honestly tell me you think Mario Sunshine looks on par with Mario Galaxy? Budokai looks the same as Budokai 2, Strikers looks just as good on Gamecube as it does on Wii?

And even if a game isn't actually superior to the gamecube version, the fact that it can be played in 480p, 16:9 makes it better either way.

Also, look at Chrono Trigger and FFIX. Same system, complete independant levels of graphics, with Chrono Trigger being closer to say, SNES.
Lol, btw. I wish Chrono Trigger was on the PSX.

icymatt

Smash Lord
The Wii IS more powerful than the Gamecube. We just aren't seeing it in the first generation titles. Which is something that happens to ALL systems. We won't be seeing 360/PS3 quality stuff, but it will be an improvement.

Sensai

Smash Master
As far as I can see, the Wii is not anything better graphically then last generations Xbox.

That being said, go look at Halo compared to Gun. Which looks better. In fact, Gun looks downrigth good.

Look at Wii Sports. You can tell it's supposed to be simplistic, yes. But look at the textures. They're actually fairly pretty.

Once again, it's not completely about the power of the system (read: yes, it obviously plays a part. I'm not saying Resistance looks on par with Excite Truck.), but also about how it's made and how much time is spent on it.

Moving onwards:

Something occurred to me today: while not being cheap, making games for the Wii is by far the cheapest of the consoles. Yes, I know that's common knowledge. This means that many more developers will be willing to try to develop for the Wii because there is not as much risk of failure on it, where as for the PS3 or 360, it's massive amounts of money if the game is a flop.

Prediction: lots of **** on the Wii.

DSB

Smash Apprentice
DSB, stop coming here. In fact, stop supporting Nintendo, because the motion-sensor is not their "next-gen theme," it is the interactivity [which is the motion-sensor, but not entirely] and the concept of BEST GAMEPLAY. I couldn't care if Brawl had same graphics as N64, the game is so good that it defies graphics, that's what good games do.
If everyone in the industry was thinking the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" way, we would still be playing SNES games now (i'm not saying that they're bad or anything). Devs need new things to attract more people and while online and a few more characters may be enough for you and me it may not be enough for the masses. Smash has nothing besides what it had since it's N64 days to make people buy it instead of online and graphically impressive games like Halo 3 and Gears Of War. Sorry but "But, but teh gameplay ;( !" isn't enough for today's standarts.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I get it now....you don't think the gameplay is going to be improved enough to base it's marketing ploy on.

Well then, you obviously haven't been paying attention to the hype. It alone will make Brawl the biggest seller for Wii, next to Twilight Princess of course.

But, you need more convincing. See, people loved N64, others loved Melee. There are a good chunk who like both. Melee was rushed, hence the certain things that turned 64 players off. Jump ahead to Brawl. More, new, interesting characters, better levels, and a gameplay that will be worked on with so much care to find a middle ground that everybody loves that it will blow away both 64 and Melee.

The graphics are improved, anymore so and blood will have to be added. It will also be too realistic. I think that improving the graphics will take away from how it looks now. Enhanced graphics will just make people look at it like the newer Mortal Kombat games, all graphics and show and no good gameplay. We don't want that, do we?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Looks like Snake has CF/Ganon's dair.

And Zamus' dair is faaaaaast. Like lightning, man.

Artery_Clogger

Smash Apprentice
To respond to RedDeadth's earlier comment about wavelanding/wavedashing near 2:05 in the trailer, it could be wavedashing but as I watched it a few more times the Wario one looked more like a dash as soon as he landed and the MK one looked like weird lag from a dash attack.

Majestic

Smash Rookie
:( After seeing the nintendo world trailer, I'm worried for Brawl. I think the characters are too slow, and that SSBB won't be MAD and FUNNY as Melee... SSBB is one of the most succesful party games, and it's purpose should be make laugh players...
I want mess and speed action I will get mad if Brawl becomes a bad alternative to tekken and the others all-technique fighting games.... :mad:

I have both SSB64 and SSBM, I really liked new stages and characters (not the graphic, that seems worse than melee's) but I don't understand why they should slow down the game to make it more....."easy"......(Hard games feature high replayability)...
I hope they are still developing game speed cause super smash bros brawl could be not so SUPER and couldn't be a crazy and mad brawl...

(sorry for my english :chuckle: )

W Jigglypuff & Metaknight !!!

GenG

Smash Lord
For me, the game's pace remains the same but they adjusted the walking and running speed of the characters. Link now is WAY slower, Mario too, Fox remains the same, as Pikachu...

Majestic

Smash Rookie
You're right about running, but if they "adjusted" also jumping, their famous mid-air fighting will be a bit slow and will be doubled the time to land for a character thrown away and this aspect could really slow down the action too much...:dizzy:
I think i'll buy it, only I wouldn't like to regret melee! That would be horrible :ohwell:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
:( After seeing the nintendo world trailer, I'm worried for Brawl. I think the characters are too slow, and that SSBB won't be MAD and FUNNY as Melee... SSBB is one of the most succesful party games, and it's purpose should be make laugh players...
I want mess and speed action I will get mad if Brawl becomes a bad alternative to tekken and the others all-technique fighting games.... :mad:

I have both SSB64 and SSBM, I really liked new stages and characters (not the graphic, that seems worse than melee's) but I don't understand why they should slow down the game to make it more....."easy"......(Hard games feature high replayability)...
I hope they are still developing game speed cause super smash bros brawl could be not so SUPER and couldn't be a crazy and mad brawl...

(sorry for my english :chuckle: )

W Jigglypuff & Metaknight !!!
If you watch the flash version on the Smabro website, it is much faster. The only thing I noticed is that there is no fast falling, which could appear to slow the game down considerably. Play a Melee game without fast falling, and the game looks to be the same speed as Brawl.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well, the demo players could just not be fastfalling. I noticed that the transition from air to ground seems faster and that Pikachu's second jump seems a bit shorter (some second jumps look like they have crazy horizontal range, like Wario, then again Pikachu could have been short-double-hopping [wow, making up these names is easy ;)]).

"Moderating the speed" doesn't necessarily mean make everything slower or faster. They could be making some things faster and some things slower. The sheer amount of areas they could adjust makes this a non-black-or-white subject.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
I can't say I've read all twenty trillion pages of this thread, so I can't really garentee that any of what I'm going to say is news to those who have, but eh. Pummel me if you don't like my opinions.

(kind of like a wavedash). I'm almost certain that this is the new dodge replacing the slow and pretty much 60% useless dodge in SSBM.(sweet)

I don't see how it'd do much damage if he flys at that speed. Maybe it picks up speed somehow? Besides that I'd also have to agree with some other people on it possibly being somewhat like a Peach's float, but with the downside of the slight descent.

I'm afraid that the only way I could comprehend this in my mind is considering it the new fast falling:urg: :urg: Sakurai already stated that he is slowing down air battles, maybe this and the slower more sticky( like mario's downB at the start on link) is what he had in mind.
Think about it. If this was the new fastfalling it would completely KILL most speedy air strategys existant up to date. I hope for everyone's sake that my guess is wrong. If anyone saw anyone but Zamus use this, or saw someone actually fastfalling, please comment.

If my guess is right crawling will be executed by pressing relatively or close to the same buttons as the current wavedash. This is my most If'fy idea, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
Whatever they change, it will probably have more to offer than SSBM, I think Luigi's down and B will be toned down because you can move all the way across the stage with it, I find it very useful for damaging a whole bunch of people at once coming from the other end of the stage.

I hope Wario will have his original costume, I'd rather play as classic Wario than Wario Ware wario.

Top Bottom