• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Next Step for a Competitive Ness - NOW DISCUSSING: PK Thunder Tips & Tricks

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I think we should just turn this thread into a random chat thread lol
No, I agree wholeheartedly.

:ness:
:ness:

If there's one thing that I do need to work on, it's directional influence... that, and teching so I don't fall on my face when I hit the ground.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
The random chat idea sounds like something destined to fail. If anything, Sonic and Lucas boards got lucky their survived that long. Then again, it doesn't have to be totally random.

@Ref: I wonder if a footstool can work after.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
You'll still suffer the horizontal Knock back of the D air. So footstool will probably not work if you are at higher percents.

_clinton

Smash Master
Ness' so called "week points" are just around because of his somewhat high learning curve IMO...as in it is something that can be overcome by just learning how to use him better

Really people...you seem to look at the negitive parts of Ness way to much...they should be open of course...but god they really aren't much of a big deal IMO...

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Lol, the Toon Link board has one that's like 350+ pages! They are too sexy
SEE.

What's the point of having rules if they don't apply to everyone? Ours and Sonic's threads really shouldn't have been locked. If they kill our new one, I'm gonna file a complaint and get banned.

@_clinton: I don't think we examine his weak points too much... we were just trying to look at our cons and see how to turn them into pros. A reasonable goal... The only weakness I feel hampered by while I'm actually fighting is his speed. I feel sluggish sometimes. But that might have more to do with my thumbs than Ness.

_clinton

Smash Master
On around 90% of the cast Ness' movepool forces others to come to him pretty much all of the time (or at least screws with their moveset in someway to the point where they may have to come in closer instead of just coming in and then running away...god I love PK Thunder) his running and moving speed really doesn't bug me that much...overall he is faster in the air with short hops pretty much as well...

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
My friend doesn't know about the grab release on Ness, I told him it only works on Lucas. XD

Anyway, I'm sure you all said it, but to avoid getting grabbed, seriously, stay in the air. Or just grab, since Ness's grab is fast, although short ranged. You can always just double jump far away and play PKT tail games on your foe. Predictable but annoying and probably hard to punish at first.

As for his recovery... well, does anyone use PSI magnet? It helps... a little. Also, if someone gonna edgehog, wait half a second before hitting yourself with the ball. Chances are PKT2's long lasting hitbox will save you.

I'd love to play competitively, but the only competition I get is bad... >.>

CanadaKid91

Smash Apprentice
I hope you realise that posting this will allow other boards to know are weaknesses. At least the Wario boards didn't yell out their weakness. Please Ness mains, discuss ANYTHING but this.
My intentions were good when I made this topic, I assure you. After all, if we keep ignoring Ness's weakness's how will we improve?

I see your point though. I suppose I can change this to a PK Thunder Discussion. Good to see the Ness boards are hanging in there! :D

CanadaKid91

Smash Apprentice
Ness' so called "week points" are just around because of his somewhat high learning curve IMO...as in it is something that can be overcome by just learning how to use him better

Really people...you seem to look at the negitive parts of Ness way to much...they should be open of course...but god they really aren't much of a big deal IMO...
This is a winning attitude. Teach me!

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'll give you the most useful tip for PK Thunder:

Practice. (Pretty self-explanatory, but if you don't understand, maybe I'll expand on this later)

Here's another tip:
-Check out Uffe's Complete Guide to PK Jibaku Death

EDIT: :)
It's because of that guide that I've been ****** a lot lately with PK Thunder 2. However, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong have been really annoying me.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
I need to play against skilled monkeys lol. I want to see what works on them.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I need to play against skilled monkeys lol. I want to see what works on them.
I don't know who else plays as Diddy Kong, but look for T-REX 01. As for Donkey Kong, you could try looking for Dr. Grandpa, i1337 or Jingo Joe. Of course these three are from All is Brawl. I'm not sure if they're here. T-REX 01's Diddy Kong is rather annoying, but your aerial game should be able to get him down to his last stock.

Masky

Smash Master
If you wanna be cool with PK Thunder then watch all of Simna's Brawl vids and take really good notice on how he uses PK Thunder, especially the ones on Battlefield. He discovered a lot of ways to throw out PKT and PKT2 at closer range and avoid punishment. But mastering hitting people while they're in the air even if they airdodge is the most important thing. Btw don't try to use PK Thunder on Wario like if he's recovering or something, he's too agile in the air so normal techniques don't work and he'll just come up and fsmash you.

_clinton

Smash Master
This is a winning attitude. Teach me!
Teach you what? The fact that proper use of Dair, Nair, and Fair pretty much let you avoid getting grabbed...and on the ground proper use of Ness' certain defense moves (The dash attack, PK Fire, the yoyo, and so on) lets you avoid it as well?

Ness has 2 things that help his recovery pretty much before he has to use thunder...
PSI Magnet...which btw is funny because it is one of the better stall tools in this game...yet it is still kind of poor...and of course his 2nd jump, which can be given a slight boost in horizontal distance if you throw out an Fair before using it...

Also people learn how to cancel knockback...Ness' Fair is his best tools for that (or maybe it is his Nair because it is faster?) just air dodge and then use one of them as fast as possible...

As for learning how to use PK Thunder well...I can explain it in two steps...
1. Practice with it until it is a 6th sense
2. Break out of the mental set you made with it from learning how to do it

PK Thunder is suppose to be an unpredictable move...yet learning how to use it right will make you easy to read with it...so unlearning how to use it is very helpful...plus it will make it better for recovery as well in the long run...

PK Thunder is also the ultimate swiss army knife for Ness and Lucas...but I'm talking about Ness right now...like for example characters that flee a lot...spank their *** with PK Thunder when you get close and they try to run away again...example...Mr. G&W...retreating Bairs are gay...plus in general characters like G&W will flee like the hoes they are a lot anyway...an unseen PK Thunder at him when he pulls out that Bair will in general screw up his own thoughts...

Ness overall draws 90% of the characters to fight him in this game just because of how his moves work...that is a big thing considering how Brawl seems to be more about defense for its main play style overall

Uffe

Smash Hero
There is one major thing that I agree with what _clinton wrote and that is learning to use PKT2 on your own. After playing the Ness' in Ref's tourney, I saw how useful PKT2 is and I've been trying to use it since. The best part is that it's been working, too. Not to mention, that guide I made was made for a reason. So people, start learning! :laugh:

Gaussis

Smash Ace
@clinton: Self mindgames are fun. I think my more impressive kills may have been the unintentional ones lol. But it is true. Sometimes, doing something you wouldn't normally do can cause certain things to happen.

PKT2 can work as an approach, a retreat, or a method of getting on the ground safely. Of course, to approach with it, you must make sure you hit them and they slide off the edge. Otherwise it's punishment. This serves to deplete their shield for potential shield stabs and for pressure. Retreating sounds obvious, but you have to make sure you have the option.

paper otavio

Smash Journeyman
I use PKT2 for attacking and retreating. :)
But I make sure every time I attack, I jump a little and go straight forward to my intended direction for the minimal lag.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I thought someone was going to explain how to aerial grap release?

StevenMctoweleee

Smash Rookie
Ignoring what the heck has happened in the previous posts, PKThunder Tips & Tricks?
I can't see what else there is to do with it other than the usual mind games, tail whipping, swell surprise... But there is another thing I remember doing to a Lucas: As he PKT-d to recover, i cancelled his with my own, while still on the stage. I guess if you are playing a Lucas, and his recovery methods are weak/predictable, then you could use this, but then again, i swear this was already known. Otherwise that seems to be all you can do with PKThunder, there isn't much tips and tricks for it, just practice to mind game it in different manners, so that it's always fresh, and the 'enemy' player will never know what is coming.
That's about it =\

Top Bottom