• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The next Generation: Pokemon X and Y confirmed

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
>Two Pokemon that share roughly the same head to torso size ratio, with no other similarities
>Same thing

Nope.

Gen VI made me spend time on vp again please help ;-;

:phone:

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
i like how you have chespin's values set up though i would give it an even atk and sp. atk and give the 5 points taken away from his sp. atk to either def or special def. also his has great speed as well. im actually hoping he's grass/fighting but if not its ok.
The thing is, I've been setting up the bast stat values so that the three starters have the exact same base stat total, but with their base stats distributed differently at spots.

Simply put, I have the base stat total values set up in the following manner for the starters...

Stage 1: 305
Stage 2: 405
Stage 3: 535

I should also point out that I'm not very fond of base stat values that are not divisible by "5".

i feel like xerneas would be a physical hitter and yveltal the special hitter.
Well, based on Yveltal's physical appearance, with those horns, claw-like appendages, and talons, excelling in physical attacks was what I had envisioned for it. Xerneas is pretty much the polar opposite, as the two have the exact same base stat values, with the stats distributed differently for attack, defense, special attack, and special defense.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I caved and got a 3DS just to get it over with. That, and I found a Starfox 64 3D cartridge months ago on the floor, so at least I got SOME game to play with.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
So we have Grasshawott, Totally-Not-Victini, and Water Frog #3. Game Freak in charge of character design.

Anyway, in the trailer, each Pokemon used two types of attacks, which might indicate what type combination the final evolutions wil be. Grasshawott used Solar Beam and Shadow Claw (Grass/Ghost, trading Bug and Poison weaknesses for the way more prevalent Dark and Ghost), Totally-Not-Victini used Flamethrower and Psychic (Fire/Psychic, TOTALLY NOT VICTINI GUYS), and Froakie used Water Gun and some physical Electric move (Water/Electric, actually great typing).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So we have Grasshawott, Totally-Not-Victini, and Water Frog #3. Game Freak in charge of character design.

Anyway, in the trailer, each Pokemon used two types of attacks, which might indicate what type combination the final evolutions wil be. Grasshawott used Hyper Beam and Shadow Claw (Grass/Ghost, trading Bug and Poison weaknesses for the way more prevalent Dark and Ghost), Totally-Not-Victini used Flamethrower and Psychic (Fire/Psychic, TOTALLY NOT VICTINI GUYS), and Froakie used Water Gun and some physical Electric move (Water/Electric, actually great typing).
what's so bad about the Fire starter having secondary Psychic-type? not only is a more accessible Fire/Psychic-type (unlike Victini or Zen Mode Darmanitan), but also isn't a Fire/Fighting starter.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
The problem with a Fire/Psychic Fennec? We just had one and it will almost definitely be better at pretty much everything it could do. Although, at least we're getting not Fire/Fightng for the first time in a decade.

Froakie tree all the way, though.

edit: if you're asking why Fire/Psychic is bad, let's look:

* The only benefit to combining them are that Fire gets rid off the Bug weakness and Fire gets a Fighting and Psychic resist
* Weak to Dark, Ghost, Ground, Rock, and Water, all of which are very common attacking types
* Resists Fire, Fighting, Grass, Ice, Psychic and Steel, most of which would still be there on a pure Fire type

I'd rather be neutral to Fighting and Psychic if it means not being weak to Dark and Ghost.

edit 2: I know I'm complaining a lot, but I actually think this is really cool and I'm probably going to actually play this, not just battle on a simulator.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
I'm pretty stoked for these. I've watched the announcement trailer at least ten times now. ^^;;

I'm seeing a lot of you are thinking that Fennekin is using a Psychic move. But if you look closely, you can get a feel that the move is actually Growl or something similar. Who said that they'd display purely offensive moves in the announcement?

Or, if you want, it could be Round. Simply assuming "Oh, we didn't see any move strike physically so it must be Psychic" is kinda silly.

Going on the same train of thought, I've seen Froakie being a Fighting type from a lot of people, partly based upon the usage of Close Combat. But who said that was Close Combat, and not something simpler like Fury Swipes?

Finally, who says that Chespin will be a Dark or Ghost type? If we think about it, a Grass/Dark would be kind of a silly starter for the fact that it has way too many weaknesses. If it truely is a porcupine, I can see it as being a Grass/Steel type more than a Grass/Dark.

The names of the legendaries will be hard for a bit to remember the pronunciation. I had them remembered yesterday, but I can't remember today. It'll come to me I'm sure. I can see them being Dark/Flying or Dark/Fire (Which would throw a lot of people off, but I expect the unexpected) for Yveltal, and either Steel/Grass or Ground/Steel for Xerneas. It's honestly hard to tell for Xerneas for some reason.

And to top this all off, a worldwide release will be beautiful. I'm so excited for October now. x.x

D

Deleted member

The release date is very questionable though. For a title that's expected to be on the 3DS, you'd expect Nintendo to take the game development slow and steady.
but development costs money, and pushing out a mediocre game early with a brand slapped on it gains money. clearly you've never played link's crossbow training.

so far i think this looks awesome.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
The thing is, I've been setting up the bast stat values so that the three starters have the exact same base stat total, but with their base stats distributed differently at spots.

Simply put, I have the base stat total values set up in the following manner for the starters...

Stage 1: 305
Stage 2: 405
Stage 3: 535

I should also point out that I'm not very fond of base stat values that are not divisible by "5".

Well, based on Yveltal's physical appearance, with those horns, claw-like appendages, and talons, excelling in physical attacks was what I had envisioned for it. Xerneas is pretty much the polar opposite, as the two have the exact same base stat values, with the stats distributed differently for attack, defense, special attack, and special defense.
ah i see. either way i liked how you made their stats. im hoping chespin will be OU viable. gotta hope.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Anyway, in the trailer, each Pokemon used two types of attacks, which might indicate what type combination the final evolutions wil be. Grasshawott used Hyper Beam and Shadow Claw (Grass/Ghost, trading Bug and Poison weaknesses for the way more prevalent Dark and Ghost), Totally-Not-Victini used Flamethrower and Psychic (Fire/Psychic, TOTALLY NOT VICTINI GUYS), and Froakie used Water Gun and some physical Electric move (Water/Electric, actually great typing).
Just because a Pokemon has Shadow Claw does not necessarily mean that it'll be a Ghost-type though. Likewise, it's not unusual for a Water-type to get an Electric-type move, and not be part Electric-type.

The problem with a Fire/Psychic Fennec? We just had one and it will almost definitely be better at pretty much everything it could do. Although, at least we're getting not Fire/Fightng for the first time in a decade.

Froakie tree all the way, though.

edit: if you're asking why Fire/Psychic is bad, let's look:

* The only benefit to combining them are that Fire gets rid off the Bug weakness and Fire gets a Fighting resist
* Weak to Dark, Ghost, Ground, Rock, and Water, all of which are very common attacking types
* Resists Fire, Fighting, Grass, Ice, and Steel, all but Fighting would still be there on a pure Fire type

I'd rather be neutral to Fighting if it means not being weak to Dark and Ghost.

edit 2: I know I'm complaining a lot, but I actually think this is really cool and I'm probably going to actually play this, not just battle on a simulator.
Pure Grass-types and pure Rock-types have five weaknesses too, and as of the 5th generation, there has been three pure Grass-type starters. Therefore, it's not so much the type weaknesses, but how the Pokemon's stats can cope with the weaknesses.

Let's say that Fennekin's final form is a Fire/Psychic-type, and it has a base speed of 125, it would outrun a good portion of the Pokemon types that would potentially be a threat to it, which means that Pokemon like Gengar and Froslass would not stand a chance without a Choice Scarf, IF Fennekin's final form is given a good special attack stat. As for the Dark-types, Weavile could be a threat, as it's part Dark-type and has the exact same base speed, but at the same time, it could be wiped out, due to being part Ice-type. However, against a Tyranitar, it wouldn't matter how fast Fennekin's final form is, as Tyranitar's Rock/Dark typing would shut down its Fire/Psychic typing either way.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I could care less how competitively viable these new pokes will be... As long as they look cool, have decent stats and fun movepools that's all that should matter.

Hell Charizard is one of the most popular Pokes ever and he's garbage in competitive play (for anyone unfamiliar with the metagame he's currently in the "never used" tier).

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Although I personally think Fire/Psychic is an interesting type regardless of weaknesses, I can at least see where you're coming from with the weaknesses argument. "Totally-Not-Victini" doesn't seem like a good criticism to me. If you're just basing that off of the typing (and I don't see any other correlation), there are a lot of type overlaps, and considering that Victini and Zen Forme Darmanitan are the only other Pokémon currently with that typing, I think that's actually a good one to expand on.

I could care less how competitively viable these new pokes will be... As long as they look cool, have decent stats and fun movepools that's all that should matter.

Hell Charizard is one of the most popular Pokes ever and he's garbage in competitive play (for anyone unfamiliar with the metagame he's currently in the "never used" tier).
Yeah, I completely agree with this. Then again, I'm one of five people that doesn't play Pokémon competitively.

Oooh, I like those cover legends.
And Zook rises from the dead! Hi Zook.

Anyway I actually agree quite a bit. Yveltal is my favorite of the two, but even though Xerneas reminds me a bit of Dialga fused with the musketeers, it's still pretty cool.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

It just goes to show you how lethal Stealth Rock can be when it's used on the proper Pokemon. Of course, no matter who is affected (excluding the Pokemon with Magic Guard), Stealth Rock renders Focus Sash useless, along with preventing Sturdy from activating.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I HATE Stealth rock

it made a lot of my favorite pokemon useless

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558

I know ;_;

Didn't he get some move recently that makes him slightly more viable though? I don't play pokemon competitively but i've spoken with people who do.

Also, IT'S NOT GRASSHAWOTT, they have different body types. :3 :happysheep:

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Charizard got Solar Power in Gen V, making him a monster in the sun. However, because of stealth rock, he's been exiled from OU, which was the only place he could've ever done well...because of stealth rock. If you don't believe me, he was BL in Gen II and III and went straight to NU in Gen IV.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Today I learned that Charizard doesn't like Stealth Rocks

who knew

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, I completely agree with this. Then again, I'm one of five people that doesn't play Pokémon competitively.
Same thing on my end. My EV distribution setup doesn't exactly favor the competitive environment anyway.

As a matter of fact, I'm way more associated with double battles and triple battles, and in some cases, rotation battles, as they offer you additional strategies that can't be executed properly in the single battles. Besides, practically all competitive matches are single battles, and that's just not something that I enjoy much after the double battles entered the scene.

Additionally, Pokemon who do very poorly in the single battles can become potential team killers in the double and triple battles. It does come down to the proper support, however, such as utilizing Trick Room to counter Rhyperior's poor speed.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Charizard got Solar Power in Gen V, making him a monster in the sun. However, because of stealth rock, he's been exiled from OU, which was the only place he could've ever done well...because of stealth rock. If you don't believe me, he was BL in Gen II and III and went straight to NU in Gen IV.
I can't say I know the pokemon tiers very well. Can you give me some context?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
BL means Borderline, NU means Never Used

The term, never used is self explanatory

BL is some weird purgatory in between UU and OU

UU is underused, OU is overused

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For all I know, these are the tier ranks that I fully understand...

Little Cup: A standalone tier for Pokemon that can hatch from eggs, and are capable of evolving. Some Pokemon who follow this criteria are banned, however.

Uber: Primarily consists of Pokemon who have high base stat values and/or high base stat totals. Rulings that are banned in the lower tiers are permitted here.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Unlike in Smash Bros. where the tiers are made up by a committee of the best players, or other fighting games where they're made from the total points from Match Ups determined by tournament results, Pokemon tier lists are based on usage. Hence why the main tiers end in "used". However, also unlike fighting games, the tiers are their own metagames (meaning if you go into a simulator, you choose a tier to battle in). There are four main tiers, Over Used (OU) Under Used (UU) Rarely Used (RU) and Never Used (NU), and any Pokemon in a higher tier than the one you choose to play in is banned from that metagame. The usage is based on usage in those tiers, not usage overall (ex. Ninjask is 57th most used in OU, which is just under the limit for being in OU. However, this doesn't mean Ninjask is guaranteed a spot in UU, as it isn't used enough in UU to make the cut either. Same with RU, which means he's NU). There are also certain abilities or move combinations banned in tiers (ex. Having Drizzle and Swift Swim on the same team is banned from OU down, having Shell Smash and Baton Pass on the same Pokemon is banned from RU down, Drought and Drizzle are banned from UU down, etc.) There are also ban tiers, for Pokemon who are OP in the tier they're in but not used enough in higher tiers to be moved automatically (Uber is banned from OU down, Borderline is banned from UU down, Borderline 2 is banned from RU down, and for some reason Jynx is banned from NU). With the exception of Uber, these don't have their own metagames.

Vashimus

Smash Master

Only fully evolved Pokemon can learn Hyper Beam, so I'm gonna guess that Chespin did Solar Beam. The second attack looked more like Aerial Ace than Shadow Claw/Night Slash.

Aerial Ace in BW2:

Biz_R_0 described it pretty well. Generally, Smogon's tier list is the most well-known and is held in the highest regard by the professional community. Through online simulators such as Pokemon Online, they are able to track the usage stats of individual Pokemon, and separate the Pokemon into the tiers accordingly. Pokemon that are most effective see more usage. If however, a Pokemon simply has no reliable checks or counters, or it overcentralizes the metagame in that tier (aka teams are forced to carry a counter specifically for that Poke), suspect voting occurs among a selected group of skilled players(Like the Melee and Brawl BR). If the majority vote for a ban, it's banned. Some Pokemon are obviously broken like Dialga, since they're designed like that, but others are not so unanimously agreed upon.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I can guarantee that Chespin did not use Aerial Ace. The animation for Aerial Ace involves swooping down the striking upwards like the user was using a sword, referencing the technique Swallow Return Cut developed by Sasaki Kojirō. Chespin's attack is more along the lines of Shadow Claw due to the animation showing dark purple claw marks striking the opponent twice in quick succession.

Kellz

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissKellyAesop
3DS FC
2466-4507-1948
IMO the best starters in a whiiile XD

Fennekin <3!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can guarantee that Chespin did not use Aerial Ace. The animation for Aerial Ace involves swooping down the striking upwards like the user was using a sword, referencing the technique Swallow Return Cut developed by Sasaki Kojirō. Chespin's attack is more along the lines of Shadow Claw due to the animation showing dark purple claw marks striking the opponent twice in quick succession.
The animations for attack change from generation to generation. Some of them change quite drastically.

Coming to 3D, they probably will change a lot, because they are forced to make them actually look like attacks instead of simple distortions and pixels

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I thought about something...

The full 3D might make battling a lot slower like with Colosseum/ XD/ Battle Revolution. This would make finding specific Pokemon and hunting Audino REALLY annoying after a while. I hope this isn't the case though cause I would to my Gen 3 remake ruined.

Btw Sawsbuck + Cobalion = Xerneas. Pretty bad compared to Yveltal.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Regarding the Gen 3 remake: might as well reintroduce the Gen that started weather to the Gen that it ruined. It'd be like a Christmas Carol for horrible OP mechanics.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Weather really isn't that bad lol.

However, I did have some ideas.

Hey guys what if in Gen VI +spe weather abilities only were x1.5 rather than x2

While we're at it lets give solar power x1.5 Atk and SpA to make it a bit less ****

Give Hail 1.5x Def for Ice Types, Fighting types now immune to hail

Give Hail a +Spe ability

Cloud 9 removes on weathers for real, larger distribution, one of which is on a Pseudolegend or something to make sure it's worth it

A move that removes weather from the field as a TM

An ability on a Pokemon with in the base 65-70 speed range but 1.5x speed in neutral weather

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Weather really isn't that bad lol.
I agree that auto sand and hail aren't that bad. However, auto sun/rain completely remove any non-4x weakness to water/fire, and overrides all non-4x resistances to fire/water. It's incredibly OP, and since it's automatic and infinite, the only way to stop it is to start a weather effect of your own, making sand and specifically anti-weather teams the only viable counter to them. So that's, like, 4 strategies in high level play.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think one simple way to nerf weather is to make Drizzle, Drought, Sand Stream, and Snow Warning last 5 turns (8 with the weather rocks) instead of being permanent. At least that would help prevent Pokemon with Swift Swim and Sand Rush from being overwhelming.

Also the abilities having a 1.5x effect instead of being 2x like mentioned above.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Fighting being immune to hail is a bit of a stretch. I like that it's giving love to a type that doesn't have any weather affinity, but Steel or Rock make so much more sense.

I think it'd be cool if hail abilities were more defensive-oriented, since hail is traditionally a stall weather. Ice Body is already a thing. A x2 speed in hail ability that's distributed to Pokemon with lower Attack and SpAtk could be cool, possibly bringing speed stall down from Ubers if some Ice-types are buffed. Or a Solid Rock duplicate that gives 33% reduction in hail.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I think one simple way to nerf weather is to make Drizzle, Drought, Sand Stream, and Snow Warning last 5 turns (8 with the weather rocks) instead of being permanent. At least that would help prevent Pokemon with Swift Swim and Sand Rush from being overwhelming.
That's what I've been thinking. Also there needs to be an automatic Trick Room ability.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
The only pokemon that I really enjoy so far is the legendary bird. Froakie is probably my favorite starter but we've had two water frog lines in the past, one of which was just last gen.

With Gen V I really liked the way things looked at first but when I saw all of the pokemon I was pretty disappointed. My feelings about that have changed but I'm hoping that with this gen it will go the other way around. It looks okay so far but I'm not super impressed like a lot of people seem to be.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455

Also the abilities having a 1.5x effect instead of being 2x like mentioned above.
5/8 Turn weather would simply go back to being useless.

I welcome perma weather fully. It just needs to be balanced next to weatherless somewhat. No point to even run weather, or anything but TTar really that's a weather starter unless it's perma.

Fighting being immune to hail is a bit of a stretch. I like that it's giving love to a type that doesn't have any weather affinity, but Steel or Rock make so much more sense.
Fighting Pokemon are always in snowy areas in the games/anime. It makes sense in that context I guess.

That's what I've been thinking. Also there needs to be an automatic Trick Room ability.
Auto perma Trick Room could be on Sunkern and it'd still be Ubers. Trick room is one of the few conditions that really needs to stay at 5 turns.

Top Bottom