• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The next Generation: Pokemon X and Y confirmed

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see any problem with completely with completely changing a typing of a previous pokemon, especially if their typing is normal/ flying - the most boring of types

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Between Gen IV and V, Rotom's forms changed from Electric/Ghost to Electric/Fire, Electric/Ice and so on, depending on the appliance, so it's not entirely out of question to have a Pokémon to change one of its types.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Let's see...

Brave Bird
Earthquake
Head Smash
Crunch

That would be one nasty Choice Band moveset if Aerodactyl's ability is Rock Head. Sadly, if Head Smash and Brave Bird are both egg moves, then Aerodactyl can't have both moves at the same time; it would only be able to get Head Smash from the Archen family, which doesn't learn Brave Bird at all.

Of course, this could be resolved if any 6th generation Pokemon, who are in the Flying egg group, can get one of those moves as a level-up move, while the other is an egg move.
Come on, it would be:
Brave Bird
Earthquake
Head Smash
Taunt/Crunch

I doubt that it would help that much, as Togekiss really isn't all that fast when compared to most other OU Pokemon.

At least Staraptor has manageable speed, access to Brave Bird and Double-Edge, and the Reckless ability, to slaughter a lot of Pokemon before it eventually falls. And having Close Combat keeps it from getting walled by the Rock-types and Steel-types.

Togekiss would now counter dragons, and has some very good bulk with 85/95/115 defenses, being able to run something like:

Obligatory Fairy Move
Air Slash
Thunder Wave
Roost

would cause some serious damage and be annoying as **** if you aren't an electric type

and if staraptor was fighting/flying, it would be soooooo much better, it wouldn't need double edge/return anymore also having a better typing means intimidate becomes a more viable option, allowing it to beat ttar straight up (without SR of course) and it opens up a moveslot to increase it's versatility (while removing it's weakness to SR, allows more opportunities to use more brave birds)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
M4f

Just replace the fairy move with a normal move

And suddenly you get the same thing

And guess what

Togekiss still isn't good

Fairy honestly won't change that. Not with an SR weakness. Not with its terrible speed. Not with its newfound Bullet Punch weakness.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Come on, it would be:
Brave Bird
Earthquake
Head Smash
Taunt/Crunch
Did you even look at the Choice Band moveset that I've stated? It literally looks like yours, outside of Taunt, which is pretty pointless for a Choice Band user.

Togekiss would now counter dragons, and has some very good bulk with 85/95/115 defenses, being able to run something like:

Obligatory Fairy Move
Air Slash
Thunder Wave
Roost

would cause some serious damage and be annoying as **** if you aren't an electric type
You're kind of forgetting that Normal/Flying only has three weaknesses (Electric, Ice, and Rock), while Fairy/Flying would have "four" weakness, thanks to the Fairy-type's Steel-type weakness. I'd rather keep Togekiss's immunity to Ghost-type attacks than to see it getting slaughtered by super-effective Iron Heads or Flash Cannons.

Edit: I forgot that Fairy-type Pokemon are also weak to the Poison-type, so Fairy/Flying would have "five" weaknesses total.

and if staraptor was fighting/flying, it would be soooooo much better, it wouldn't need double edge/return anymore also having a better typing means intimidate becomes a more viable option, allowing it to beat ttar straight up (without SR of course) and it opens up a moveslot to increase it's versatility (while removing it's weakness to SR, allows more opportunities to use more brave birds)
The reason for Double-Edge is so that Staraptor can still deal a lot of damage to the Electric-types, which are resistant to Brave Bird. And since Reckless powers up Double-Edge, it would deal more neutral damage when STABbed than what a neutral STABbed Close Combat can ever deliver. Sure it may sound redundant, but having Double-Edge included would just ensure that it'll deal a lot of damage to any type that isn't weak to Close Combat.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm going to be honest here. When I went on this forum to check what people thought of the honedge evolution, I thought I was going to see more complaining and whining...

but I was thankfully surprised. The smash fandom might really be the best fandom...It still has flaws,
but at least people are way more sensible on what they accuse of being bad. :D

However, on the topic of fandom.

Do you know what word I hate?

Lazy.

Why?

Because it's a word that is used WAY too much and whenever someone uses it, they never back it up. "I think it's lazy so there for it is."

You know who uses the word a lot?

The pokemon fandom. Do they back it up? Nope.

And that brings us Doublade, the latest pokemon who has been wrongly accursed of laziness.
Along with Muk, Vanillite, etc.

Now, I love Doublade. He looks cool, he's based on sword, he has a nice typing, pretty good. He's simple which is also nice.

At the end of the day, at least I know now I have smashboards to count on. :D

Rant over.

On the topic of Togekiss changing types...I don't care. Never was a togepi line fan. :/

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
A lot of the people on Serebii are little kids and are a lot more immature as a result (which is why I refuse to post consistently there).

The small Pokemon community on this site consists of older posters that have been around a lot longer so we're less prone to making the dumb posts that you'll frequently read on Serebii... though it still happens on occasion.

The Smash4 section on the other hand... whole nother story.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
A lot of the people on Serebii are little kids and are a lot more immature as a result (which is why I refuse to post consistently there).

The small Pokemon community on this site consists of older posters that have been around a lot longer so we're less prone to making the dumb posts that you'll frequently read on Serebii... though it still happens on occasion.

The Smash4 section on the other hand... whole nother story.
Well, I've also checked out the smogon community, youtube,(which is a given to be bad), and that one guy called Shofu...Wasn't pretty.

Anyway, I appreciate how more mature the smash fandom is than most fandoms.

Even the smash 4 section like you mentioned, isn't nearly as bad as what I've seen from other fandoms.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
The reason for Double-Edge is so that Staraptor can still deal a lot of damage to the Electric-types, which are resistant to Brave Bird. And since Reckless powers up Double-Edge, it would deal more neutral damage when STABbed than what a neutral STABbed Close Combat can ever deliver. Sure it may sound redundant, but having Double-Edge included would just ensure that it'll deal a lot of damage to any type that isn't weak to Close Combat.

just saying...if staraptor was fighting/flying, close combat would make double edge completely obsolete, the damage difference isn't worth it (a 2hko is still a 2hko), you literally only use double edge against electric types that aren't the magnemite line and zapdos (so basically magnezone) (and even then, electric types don't like taking a close combat anyways)

but i guess you guys are right with togekiss, i thought the dragon immunity would help it especially when fairy is a better offensive type than normal is

What I really like about Doublade's name is that if you pronounce it as due-blade, it sounds really similar to the French pronunciation of double. Also a "double" is a technique in fencing that leaves the individual performing it prone to attacks by their fencing partner. It reflects the No Guard ability, and also ties into the French theme really nicely.

I've also seen people complaining about the cloth and eye changing from blue to pink, but I'm pretty sure they meant to have the colour resemble purple, for royalty.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So I got the Pokemon 3ds XL yesterday. Been playing it a lot.

I got to say, the box art and pictures online don't do it justice.

It's very pretty with it's shiny surface, and the art really stands out more than what the pictures seem to show.

I'm also always surprised by the XL's size when ever I see one. I always underestimate it.

Also, the little white shaded pics of the Kalos starters on the back is also cute. :3

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. :D

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
I like Doublade. I may have given it some bad mouthing among irl with a couple of friends (whom are not that well attached to the Pokemon franchise and stopped playing after Gold and Silver), with lines such as "Remember that sword Pokemon? It evolves into two swords!" but I knew that they didn't like Honedge to begin with, as they don't give a flying f&$@ about the series anymore and will nitpick anything and everything that I tell them.

But I actually do like Doublade. With the beautiful Ghost/Steel typing, No Guard as an ability, and Swords Dance and Sacred Sword as learnable moves, I'm feeling like he/she/it could become a good contender if it has the right stats in the right places. Only time will tell for sure.

Not sure if it's been brought up here, but Masuda mentioned in an interview that the starters this time were inspired by classic RPG classes. Which ones he didn't say I don't believe, but it's kinda showing through the characters. We have Chespin becoming a Paladin (Quilladin), Fennekin becoming some sort of mage class, and Froakie becoming a thief/scout?? A friend of mine suggested his names are based off of military statuses, such as rookie and brigadier, which could be possible too. Who knows.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently there is a whole group of people that decided they aren't buying these games because the pokemon are in 3D instead of sprites

Odd

D

Deleted member

Apparently there is a whole group of people that decided they aren't buying these games because the pokemon are in 3D instead of sprites

Odd
Now that's stupid. People just love to complain and have lame excuses to not buy the game, don't they?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Oh man with just 2 weeks left till release there are Gen 6 fakes all over the place now... Pretty much don't believe any rumor you see until it's confirmed to be real.

This "Frogadier evolution" in particular had people on Serebii going crazy because of how ugly it is:

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
^That looks like something straight out of Star Fox.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Well it was "leaked" from the same source along with some other fakes that actually looked like they coulda been real so everyone was flipping out.

Edit: Ehhh I'll just go ahead and post them cause they were actually some pretty convincing fakes:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Now that's stupid. People just love to complain and have lame excuses to not buy the game, don't they?
I definitely think they're ridiculous to boycott the games because they don't use sprites, but I can see where they're coming from, because I really like sprites myself. I know 3D is possible even on handhelds and it's the new thing and all, but I honestly would've been fine if they never moved over from sprites.

D

Deleted member

I definitely think they're ridiculous to boycott the games because they don't use sprites, but I can see where they're coming from, because I really like sprites myself. I know 3D is possible even on handhelds and it's the new thing and all, but I honestly would've been fine if they never moved over from sprites.
I understand their side as well and I do love the Sprites as well; I absolutely loved the in battle Sprite animations that Gen V had. But, you shouldn't boycott a game because of this reason.

That reminds me. One feature that I am disappointed is not in this game is Pokemon following you. I loved that feature in Yellow and HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Over 700+ Pokemon now... That's just too much effort for such a small feature.
You forget how they've done it before, and how also the Pokémon franchise is so enormously successful that they can pull off anything they want. That being said, they've played it really safe for about a decade, holding back their punches in favor of superficial improvements to create the sense of innovation, when really it's been a long process of baby steps. Gen VI seems to be a leap, and it's only a matter of time (a very short amount at that) before we see whether the leap was worth it or not.

They've animated front and back sprites for 649 Pokémon before, and they animated following sprites for 493. I think the decision to remove this feature was for proportional reasons, as Wailord is some 40 ft long yet behind you it appears as just a few.

Regardless, we've got about two weeks til the world explodes and we're all 9 years old again!

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Oh man with just 2 weeks left till release there are Gen 6 fakes all over the place now... Pretty much don't believe any rumor you see until it's confirmed to be real.

This "Frogadier evolution" in particular had people on Serebii going crazy because of how ugly it is:

I really can't say if I could call that "ugly". Especially since his pose seems to be blocking a lot of his body. IF this real, than I would need to see more of him.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641

Personally, I don't see what's to hate about it. I think it looks pretty cool. It's got a couple of good moves too, such as Aerial Ace and Extrasensory. Access to Surf and Waterfall were expected, though, seeing how it's a Water Pokemon.

The Lucha bird looks cool too. A Flying/Fighting type sounds awesome.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
They've animated front and back sprites for 649 Pokémon before, and they animated following sprites for 493. I think the decision to remove this feature was for proportional reasons, as Wailord is some 40 ft long yet behind you it appears as just a few.

Regardless, we've got about two weeks til the world explodes and we're all 9 years old again!
To play devil's advocate, though, it'd be much more complex to do it now. You need more than like four different sprites, you'll need new 3D models for all 700. And, more importantly, you'll need those 700 Pokemon to do something. Because it's kind of dumb if a Pokemon follows you around but never interacts or reacts to its environment, especially as these games become more and more complex.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
...You guys do realize the "scarf" is supposed to be a tongue right?

Different people like different things I suppose. *kanye shrug*

Well is it? You can't exactly prove that based on this picture. Like I mentioned before, his pose is covering up too much of his body. For all you know, it could be a scarf based on his tongue. Unless the leaker actually said it was, your evidence doesn't hold up.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Hey can we get a spoilers thread for potential leaks now or something

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
Hey can we get a spoilers thread for potential leaks now or something
With the release of X and Y so soon, it wouldn't be bad to have a spoilers thread for those who'd like to be surprised. I know I'll go in there a lot, since I don't mind spoilers, but I know others would rather not be spoiled.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
You forget how they've done it before, and how also the Pokémon franchise is so enormously successful that they can pull off anything they want. That being said, they've played it really safe for about a decade, holding back their punches in favor of superficial improvements to create the sense of innovation, when really it's been a long process of baby steps. Gen VI seems to be a leap, and it's only a matter of time (a very short amount at that) before we see whether the leap was worth it or not.

Just realized I never properly responded to this. Wave already covered my thoughts on the whole followers issue.

In terms of the changes that we're getting, I think Gen 6 is going to breathe some much-needed new life into the series. Gen 5 as a whole is probably the best gen this series has ever had, but I just couldn't get into it like I normally did with the other generations because it didn't bring anything drastically new to the series. It was more of the same: new Pokemon, a new region, better story (damn good one though), and (slightly) better graphics. Too much fine tuning and not enough innovation... I've played Pokemon since R/B/Y and I could tell the fundamental formula was starting to become stale to me.

Gen 6 on the other hand is bringing a plethora of innovative changes: 3D battles, introduction of a new type that FINALLY counters dragons, the Pokemon Bank which will make transferring/storing Pokemon easier than ever, and Mega evolutions (though I still think these are unnecessary and over the top until proven otherwise)... None of these changes even include the new awesome looking region, Pokemon, massively updated graphics, and various other small changes. We haven't had this much change since the leap from Gen 1 > Gen 2.

The series just feels new again and I honestly haven't been this excited for a new Pokemon game in a long time (first time pre-ordering a Pokemon game now that I think about it).

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
What constitutes a spoiler? Is it just story-related spoilers? What about X Pokemon gets Y move? X Pokemon evolves into Z Pokemon?

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
The game releases in two weeks globally. Those who want to avoid spoilers should avoid forums in general.

That's like making spoiler threads for every other game just because a group of people don't want to see new information until they get the game... Doesn't make sense to me.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
What constitutes a spoiler? Is it just story-related spoilers? What about X Pokemon gets Y move? X Pokemon evolves into Z Pokemon?
I guess it sort of depends on the kind of things people don't want to have spoiled, but I didn't really think about that. Story spoilers definitely, I feel like there are people who won't want to know the full roster of new Pokemon...to be on the safe side, I feel like any news that comes out henceforth should just be taken to the spoilers thread, but if the people concerned about spoilers have things they aren't worried about, then they can speak up and we don't need to limit that.

The game releases in two weeks globally. Those who want to avoid spoilers should avoid forums in general.

That's like making spoiler threads for every other game just because a group of people don't want to see new information until they get the game... Doesn't make sense to me.
We had separate threads for Black and White (and maybe BW2? I can't remember) close to release, and that worked out fine, and back in the day, there was even a no-spoilers forum for Brawl. It's not like we've got so many active threads in this forum that separate threads for two weeks is going to create any sort of clutter. If people want to be able to discuss what we know so far without knowing what's going to happen in the storyline or all of the Pokemon that are going to be in the game, while others want to freely discuss them, I don't see a reason not to make accommodations for that.

EDIT: That said, if people would rather have the new thread be no-spoilers and have this one have spoilers allowed, for whatever reason, I'm cool with doing that. Otherwise, I don't see why there's an issue.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'm really happy we won't have to wait 4-6 months for the games anymore. It's relieving to play the game without knowing much about them. It's going to feel like playing the original Pokemon Red and Blue.

I'm not going to pay too much attention to anything Pokemon related until October 12th. I know people will get their hands on early copies.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What's your thoughts on Greninja being true?

I'm starting to think maybe so

Edit: Meh, only said that because of the 4chan member claiming to have made it up. Reminded me of the last gen when the same thing happened and it turned out the starters were real

Top Bottom