• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Yoshi Matchup Thread V2|Week 10 - Zelda

Swordplay

Smash Lord
He's not currently decided as of now due to the amount of people who are not convinced at any ratio that is correct. He'll be mentioned again when we get through with some other matchups.
Then consider this a test. I'm not the best Link player in the house. By no means am I a Legan but I am better than many of my fellow Link mains.

I challenge Yoshi players to matches. Yoshi is low tier and doesn't have many tourney reps. Link is low tier and doesn't have many tourney reps. This results in one of the most highly untested match ups in brawl.

Lets test it together to come to an accurate conclusion.

PM me if you wish to participate and play. I'll set things up from there.

Mmac

Smash Lord
It's not final for now, because everyone is divided all over the place. I am well aware that Yoshi doesn't out spam link (And I didn't take that into account), but he can still Counter Spam well with them.

And I think you are putting too much into Link's Bombs. I am aware that Bombs can lead into interesting tricks and combos, But this is something that won't fare too great. It just has too much time until it explodes, and you won't beable to do anything with it until the CG is over. I'm not actually sure what you are trying to do with the bomb, because you haven't said, but the only thing I can see from this realistically as an Anit-Edgeguard from the release off edge, but if you are trying to use it as an escape from the CG, then it won't work.

Gindler

Smash Champion
It's not final for now, because everyone is divided all over the place. I am well aware that Yoshi doesn't out spam link (And I didn't take that into account), but he can still Counter Spam well with them.

And I think you are putting too much into Link's Bombs. I am aware that Bombs can lead into interesting tricks and combos, But this is something that won't fare too great. It just has too much time until it explodes, and you won't beable to do anything with it until the CG is over. I'm not actually sure what you are trying to do with the bomb, because you haven't said, but the only thing I can see from this realistically as an Anit-Edgeguard from the release off edge, but if you are trying to use it as an escape from the CG, then it won't work.
Explode while in yoshi's mouth or during release? Would an internal explosion harm yoshi and release link? I'm not really sure as I haven't played many links.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Explode while in yoshi's mouth or during release? Would an internal explosion harm yoshi and release link? I'm not really sure as I haven't played many links.
But I just don't see it happening often. The bomb just has too long of a fuse to be practical in this case. Even if it was about to explode, he can just easily discard him with Dthrow and have a perfect setup combo.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
The bomb thing, it is just a playstyle of mine. Add that to the fact that Link players tend to "over value" their bombs and i might be biased.

I'm not really sure as I haven't played many links.
My point exactly. That is why I want to test the matchup. Nobody seems to know the truth.

Anyways I'll let you guys move on to Snake, I don't want to drag out a dead conversation.

STILL PM ME IF YOU WANT TO PLAY AND TEST THE MATCHUP.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I don't foresee our match-up disagreements ending with Olimar. :laugh:

For the sake of (inevitable) arguement, though, I'll call it about even. 5:5 or 4.5:5.5.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
4.5:5.5 in favor of whom?

I highly doubt that Olimar has even a slight advantage, though.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I'm all for 6:4 Yoshi.

I think people let Olimar grab them too much.

D

Deleted member

4-6 olimars favor i believe. Ill have a special guest speaker come in a bit, but the basic gist is:
Both can beat eachother up easily.
Olimar outcamps and beats most of our approaches
Olimar outkills and can actually lead into his kill moves
Our grabs completely **** everything he has

I think my olimar experience is prolly better than most yoshis.
People have this crazy notion that yoshi has some special advantage. he doesnt, its just another matchup for olimar.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
4-6 olimars favor i believe. Ill have a special guest speaker come in a bit, but the basic gist is:
Both can beat eachother up easily.

I think my olimar experience is pretty good
People have this crazy notion that yoshi has some special advantage. he doesnt, its just another matchup for olimar.
You know when i face very campy olimar
i spam the bejesus out of eggs tilll all his pikmin are dead and then i charge to combo him

it awkwardly works well since they panic cause they have no pikmin

D

Deleted member

umm that doesnt work... olimar out camps and easily gets back his pikmen....
Why would they panic, if u appproach they can just grab throw and get back their pikmen

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
works for me

olimars pikmin doesnt have same reach as eggs

unless he jumps but you can snipe those pikmins on air

D

Deleted member

I wont argue this point, olimar is the best camper in the game. Theres a reason M2k thinks olimar beats Meta Knight =)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: We are destined to disagree eternally, Sockz. I'm looking forward to this one. :D

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Meta Knight doesn't have a projectile. >_>

In any case, the only thing that Olimar really has on us is his grabs, which unfortunately Yoshi is very succeptable to.

However, we beat him every other way. U-air kills are safe to attempt, tilts and b-air own any of his attacks, and our eggs have more range than his Pikmin Toss. Olimar should never go into the air unless he wants to get *****. His smashes are not a problem due to our attacks having more prioirty than his. Just stay in the air (where his grabs can't reach you), and you'll do fine.

Egg Lay (and Dragonic Egg Lay) is actually quite useful here because of two things:

1. Olimar loses his pikmin, which we can immediately d-smash to kill off.

2. It knocks Olimar into the air. His air-game with pikmin is already bad enough as it is. Having n-air as his only attack now puts him in a very bad position.

Oh, one more thing. Olimar is the most gimped character in the game (well, maybe Ivysaur). Yoshi does well in gimping. It doesn't take a genius to see the outcome here.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226

In any case, the only thing that Olimar really has on us is his grabs, which unfortunately Yoshi is very succeptable to.

However, we beat him every other way. U-air kills are safe to attempt, tilts and b-air own any of his attacks, and our eggs have more range than his Pikmin Toss. Olimar should never go into the air unless he wants to get *****. His smashes are not a problem due to our attacks having more prioirty than his. Just stay in the air (where his grabs can't reach you), and you'll do fine.

Egg Lay (and Dragonic Egg Lay) is actually quite useful here because of two things:

2. It knocks Olimar into the air. His air-game with pikmin is already bad enough as it is. Having n-air as his only attack now puts him in a very bad position.

Oh, one more thing. Olimar is the most gimped character in the game (well, maybe Ivysaur). Yoshi does well in gimping. It doesn't take a genius to see the outcome here.
ditto
this is exactly what i was gonna type
you saved me 4 minutes of my life

D

Deleted member

It doesnt take a genius to look at my points and try to argue them.

Olimar doesnt get gimped often, and he can whistle all our kill moves(annoying as ****).
good olimars are hard to gimp, even for MK. Like i said, he can just grab us and throw us then repick his pikmen. Our grabs **** him alot more than his grabs **** us. Uairs are safe to attempt? Oli can airdodge or whistle and respond. If you think we outcamp oli theres no need to go on, it simply isnt true and im not sure what olimars you've been playing. I play by far the campiest yoshi ive ever seen, im pretty good at it as dictated by my placings, and i guarentee you olimar outcamps us. Like i said, we both beat the crap out of eachother, but olimar is better at initiating his strings of moves because his dthrow sets us up, where as we need to need to bair him or be really good at jab trixies. He can pivot grab our aerials, he can usmash our aerials, his smashes dont have good priority but the range is so huge its not too much of a problem, they arent punishable except for our grab, which as i said before, is our best offensive move in this matchup imo. Olimar is good at getting down to the stage.

Nair leads to smashes, his nair, so he can kill us while hes stringin hits together. Its possibly the coolest and gayest thing ever when you get falling nair to usmashed with a purple =D

Nothing said so far has slightly changed my mind, and not because im stubborn(which i am).

"Both can beat eachother up easily.
Olimar also initiates his "beating" much easier

Edit: YES a debate with shiri =D How entertaining! Lets do this.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I think Yoshi players of ALL people should know better than to just simply assume that their opponent's character will be easy to gimp.

Awex

Smash Lord
I'm here to defend burntsocks' views. It's 60-40 Olimar. I am 3-0 vs socks in tournament matches. (He seriously had me the first time we played, but Dedede's got mad delfino shenanigans.)

Olimar and Yoshi by themselves have the best grab games in brawl. Hands freaking down. Put them against eachother though and Yoshi wins. (Olimar does not have armor when he grabs, really the only fault in his grabs.)

I've been gimped hardcore by socks before, but VERY rarely will you see Olimar gimped with absolutely no chance to recover. Usually Olimar has a jump and an uair left to get you off the stage, or a purple pikmin to toss, or a fair, or nair, or will simply wait for you to roll to avoid the stage spike and steal the open ledge right after you're gone. ;p

To completely gimp Olimar, you'll need to grab him out of his second jump while he's rising from the ledge. The grab release will send me too far out without a jump and you're free to hog the edge and get a gimp. Otherwise, you'll have to aerial him away (Nair is your best bet but will get whistled if it's expected by the olimar) or hog the ledge and hope not to get stage spiked. ;x

On Egg Lay: egg lay to downsmash does not guarantee you'll kill all the pikmin, and even one pikmin is enough to make room to pluck more, be it a grab or incomplete nair to smash combo.

Being in the air isn't horrible for Olimar either. Your uair is scary as hell, not gonna lie. But Olimar can whistle and get back to the ground no problem. This can be frustrating because when Olimar is at KO percentage, the damage taken from whistling becomes irrelevant, any hit will do, but Olimar can whistle your KO moves and you do NOT have a grab release setup vs Olimar.

He's too short for bair > uair setups either.
Oli uair will juggle YOU.
Olimar camping >>>>>>> Yoshi camping.
Yoshi Priority >>>> Olimar priority. - THIS + grab combos + gimping if you've detected a recovery pattern in the Olimar player is how you beat Olimar with Yoshi. Your aerials will stop smashes and beat Olimar in the air. (EXCEPT for Olimar's uair)

And let the ****storm come Yoshi players. Don't trip, I play him too, he's fun, hahaha.

D

Deleted member

^^^^
I approve of this broken olimar, and everything he said.

XD
Thanks awex

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Sorry, I guess I spoke out of line, but it really doesn't change the fact that Olimar is indeed gimpable. B-air does well because he can't Whistle through that and can't counter-attack it.

As for the u-airs, they really are quite safe to attempt. If he air-dodges (or Whistles, I guess), then you can just fall away from him or even just n-air him.

Yes, I said that Olimar grabs are a huge strength of his in this match-up. No objection there.

How can he pivot-grab us while in the air? His pikmin (as far as I know) can only grab people on the ground or extremely close to the ground (which is why Peach does so well against him).

I don't understand what you mean about him up-smashing through our aerials. B-air cuts through his pikmin without fail, maybe n-air too.

Yes, his smashes have low priority and long range. However, he is just setting himself up if he tries to smash you while performing... well... any attack.

By the way, I've played against Weruop and Zori (online, though, but there aren't any Olimar players in southern Florida).

One more thing, why do you think our grabs are so important for this match-up? His grabs out-range ours by far, he can easily punish us if we miss, and his throws are much better.

Awex

Smash Lord
Both grab games are strong, but Yoshi's is really important. We both work really really well of dthrow combos. I'd say the grab game is even in this matchup actually. Maybe socks is just better about his grabs vs me. ;p

We don't pivot grab you in the air, we wait for you to land from your aerial approach and pivot grab it. ;x

You're right about your bair and nair going through up smash. Like I said, your priority abuse is key here. (However, Olimar's nair > smash combo is really safe vs Yoshi)

Oh and yes we certainly can whistle yoshi's bair. You can whistle every hit of a snake nair and be safe ;x.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I, too, think Olimar's pivot grab is blown way out of proportion in this match-up. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty awesome.l But it's not the be-all end-all reversal to Yoshi's game.

Yoshi still has better pokes (which I always seem to come back to), better movement speed, and a more effective off-stage game - though again, I wouldn't even come CLOSE to saying Olimar is an automatic gimp; I'm just saying.

What Olimar has is the camping game, knockout power, and priority. No one's juggling anyone in this match-up unless their opponent falls for it.

For Yoshi, it becomes a game of patience and cautionary approaches. Once he gets his licks in, Olimar tends to be in a bad spot. For Olimar, it's more a matter of slow, steady punishment. Force Yoshi to approach, then attempt to punish the approach. The problem with punishing Yoshi is that that's not much TO punish, when you get down to it. Granted, if you intercept him with a pivot grab, you're in a good position. But again, you can't rely completely on that to win you a match, and sooner or later, you're going to get hurt for trying it.

Another thing going for Yoshi is that Olimar is light as hell, making their KO percents approximately equal, if not a little better for Yoshi.

I'd still lean toward giving Olimar a 5.5:4.5 over Yoshi, because he DOES still have the camping game, priority, and pivot grab, but it doesn't take much for Yoshi to make Olimar miserable.

Edit:

Both grab games are strong, but Yoshi's is really important.
I disagree. And this all sort of goes back to how differently all the Yoshi's play from each other. I rarely go for any grabs against Olimar, while other Yoshis tend to base their whole offensive around the idea.

D

Deleted member

Cuz grabs are the only thing that work, they beat all of his moves, they set up for stuff and if he starts his jump at low percents out of an fthrow he gets gimped. Like awex said, the only way u can gimp him is if he messes up or if u grab release him without his second jump. Uairs are safe indeed.

Online doesnt mean anything at all, im sorry. If you havent played any olimars offline then why bother arguing the matchup? Not to say that you cant, just a little experience helps.

We get pivot grabbed out of aerials, they grab slightly off the ground. Peach floats high off the ground, but yoshi has to land.

I dont see what you mean, his smashes are very good, his fsmash has little lag, his dsmash is for killing, his usmash has monsterous priority and kills early, etc etc.

Grabs are in my opinion yoshis best move and the reason that he is viable in tournaments. They just so happen to **** olimar.
*Wants shiri to join*

I agree with orion for the most part, and no, pivot grabs are not the end of all ends. But i disagree with olimars key being to punish every single approach. Olimar can easily rack up 50% or more from one grab. He can do his standard autocombos, plus his pikmen throw will be rackin up damage, and his auto combos set you in a bad position. He can play slightly offensive as well. All he needs is one mistake to really hurt yoshi, while yoshi needs to really be good at pressuring with stuff besides just your standard bairs to be able to compete.

Awex

Smash Lord
Did someone find Olimar's priority stashed somewhere and didn't tell me about it? Your bair and nair beat Olimar's up smash.

Olimar's up smash, while possibly his best kill move, does NOT have high priority. His up air does.

:p

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Yoshi does have fantastic grabs, no question about that. But grabs alone don't even come close to making a character tournament viable (err... well, maybe Ice Climbers :laugh:).

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Both grab games are strong, but Yoshi's is really important. We both work really really well of dthrow combos. I'd say the grab game is even in this matchup actually. Maybe socks is just better about his grabs vs me. ;p
Well, I really can't comment. In all honesty I don't grab much when I'm fighting Olimar. It's way too risky, and we can't follow-up with anything with Olimar (as far as I know... please tell me I'm wrong).

We don't pivot grab you in the air, we wait for you to land from your aerial approach and pivot grab it. ;x
The beautiful thing about b-air approaches is that we can jump again before we land. :bee:

And if the situation calls for it, we can just fall far away from you.

You're right about your bair and nair going through up smash. Like I said, your priority abuse is key here. (However, Olimar's nair > smash combo is really safe vs Yoshi)
Yes, I've experience that combo quite a bit. But I dunno, couldn't you SDI? I haven't tried it yet so I wouldn't know.

Oh and yes we certainly can whistle yoshi's bair. You can whistle every hit of a snake nair and be safe ;x.
Um, wow. That's amazing. o_O

Can you show a video please? I'd like to see it.

D

Deleted member

Rising bair puts you above him, which allows you to be grabbed when you land, cuz olis grabs are too good. Olimar pivot grabs once you are commited.

You can fthrow chain grab at low percents.
And yes, i think if yoshis grab were the same as links(not throws), he would not be good at all.

Awex

Smash Lord
talk to blackwaltzx, I haven't whistled the full snake nair, he has. (I've whistled some other silly multihits though, mainly from metaknight, haha)

Also, even if you have your second jump still, it's not like Olimar's pivot grab is punishable if he whiffs. ;x

as for SDIing the nair > smash, I dunno, you'd have to be pretty fast if you can. Haven't seen it done.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Also, even if you have your second jump still, it's not like Olimar's pivot grab is punishable if he whiffs.
Actually, I've DJCed into the Yoshi Bomb against the pivot grab a couple of times. I don't think I'd rely on it (since you can't do it on reaction), but it does happen.

D

Deleted member

Its DI able , but u cant escape the combo. Humans cant react fast enough me thinks.

Awex

Smash Lord
If you're fast enough to DI the last hits of the nair, you're out of the combo, if you don't, you are about to be up smashed. ;p

Orion: Really? I SERIOUSLY doubt down b is fast enough to punish a pivot grab. Unless it was a really late pivot grab by an Olimar with bad reflexes (or wifi.) ;x

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I think I mislead you when I said "punish," since the Yoshi Bomb can't be done on reaction. Basically, if I back air and instantly double-jump into a DJC Yoshi Bomb as you pivot grab, Olimar can sometimes get hit by it.

Awex

Smash Lord
Hmm gotcha. I can picture some Olimar players falling for that, but only the lower level ones falling for it more than once. ;p

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Yeah, that's pretty much completely true. Like I said, it's unreliable and more of a wake-up call than anything else.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I'm going to agree, in general, with many of the things Awex said.

As Sockz posted earlier, both characters beat up on each other pretty badly.

I don't know why I put that on its own line. But I did, for some reason.

I read somewhere in the last page or two that Olimar gets gimped? Not very true. The most we can do is apply lots of back and neutral aerial pressure offstage to try and either force him to whistle when doing so would leave him unable to use his Up+B to recover or to actually physically force him out of range of a successful Up+B for him. Baiting whistles can sometimes work to your advantage, but that's more of a mental pressure game than your typical "mindgame." There's also the very rare edgeguard--I haven't been keeping up with the Olimar boards, so I don't know why sometimes, even when he's not being edgeguarded, his Pikmin just kinda...plop themselves against the edge instead of grabbing it. This happens, too, on occasion, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Captain Olimar has a very weird edgeguarding game himself. His aerials are all very strong and break the jump relatively early compared to most other characters. He puts himself at risk while edgeguarding, though, since the whistle is mostly a defensive tactic and obviously cannot be used while using another attack. Yoshi's defensive attack options while recovering outrange Captain Olimar most of the time, but the speed and power of his Pikmin threaten ties if any player is not completely on the mark.

As far as KOs in general go, I tend to agree that Yoshi should not be using up aerial very often in this matchup. Unless you've got some sort of master plan and just want to bait whistles to set up for something else (which is entirely possible), up aerial will not really connect successfully unless you are applying massive pressure with things like single hit back aerials and weak up tilts or punishing baited airdodges. KOing off the sides for Yoshi is harder, but much more successful, I think--KOing Olimar off the top is really easy, but it's often stuffed by whistle since our upward KO attempts are fairly obvious (the moves, rather...not necessarily how we use them).

I don't think that Captain Olimar's upsmash KOs "early," per se, but I do find it extremely effective and spammable, especially out of a dash. Forward smash is the typical keep away-KO move, which is awesome, but there are dodging patterns that I've noticed Yoshi can employ to successfully dodge two and counterattack with jabs or tie on the third with forward tilt. It only works for two forward smashes in a row at the same speed, so it's not entirely "staple" to employ, but it's hard to explain without a video or frame data. I think Olimar players rely on passive damage and damage over time as the match goes on, and rightfully so. I don't think that Captain Olimar does enough damage straight up (it's just not built into his character, I find) to KO straight out of a fight. He has to set up over the course of about forty seconds or so can has to force opportunities, similarly to Yoshi. He cannot expect them to appear--he has to force them.

Olimar's forward air is good, but I think back air gets the nod for best KO aerial he has.

I also find it very hard to swallow Olimar's neutral air to smash as an effective technique--effective enough to use more than once, I mean. Similarly to how Yoshi players may have player-specific setups into effective KO moves, neutral air isn't exactly all-purpose for Olimar. Would its use not become very...forseeable after the first attempt?

As for camping, Olimar is quite top tier. I can't argue that. I will say, however, that people tend to let themselves get grabbed a lot by Olimar. Conversely, they try too hard to dodge and beat Pikmin tosses when they are eventually setting themselves up for ground **** (while they're trying to stop Pikmin in the air). I don't think taking some passive damage via Pikmin is entirely unreasonable unless it's that white one. They're easy enough to get off while approaching Captain Olimar and they do not apply freeze frames to Yoshi (if they did, it would be super gay and way too good).

I've already explained how to egg roll versus Captain Olimar--I received no disagreements with my post. I know it's probably not 100% on the money, but I feel that effective egg rolling makes this matchup so much easier. Similarly, proper downsmashing after egg lays (easy to do while DJing through forward smash spam) makes the matchup much easier as well. The only Pikmin that I notice that tend to survive are the purple one (obviously) and the blue one after the downsmash has degenerated by approximately two levels. Even if multiple Pikmin survive, I think Olimar only really becomes vulnerable when he has less than two Pikmin out. When he has less than two, his options become severely limited due to the fact that both players know exactly what Olimar's attacks are now capable of, instead of trying to keep track of two or more different kinds. With one or none, Yoshi can begin to apply smart, poking, lagless pressure and maybe not guarantee a stock, but at least make the next few moments very not easy for the opposing player. Anybody would be able to tell you that Olimar will make grabs a top priority at this point; knowing how to abuse that will make applying short stabs for pressure easy since lots of smart players know when to poke and when to back off. Sorry if that was a little incoherent, but I hope you all caught my drift.

Olimar's up aerial is good. It sure as heck doesn't juggle, though.

When we give a ratio for this matchup, I don't think it's more about whose advantage this is, as I think they're pretty close on paper. In a tournament situation, though, I think Yoshi has to do less work to see marginally better results over an extended period of time with more favorable stages. The ratio, to me, signifies who has an easier time of executing their battles plans and I feel Yoshi trumps Olimar, even if just a little bit, on that point, as I've attempted to outline above.

**goes back to the blue corner and waits for round two**

D

Deleted member

Hmm the funny thing is i agree with almost everything you said. The problem with egg roll is that it kinda gets ***** by grabs , so if they know how it works, its more of a once in a while move.
Olimar always gets 1 pikmen after egglay to dsmash.
Yes to the gimping part.
Yes to the Edgeguarding part

Wait wtf, it sounds like you are arguing for me??
Lol
Mindgames.
I guess we disagree on not what options they have against eachother, but, who wins. I think olimar wins, awex usually beats me, it seems like olimar has an answer to all of yoshis options, while yoshi doesnt to olimars. Im sorta good at the matchup now(or at least i think so), and its still really hard,

Top Bottom