• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Thanks for the link Yugo...
or should I say 'Dr. Doom Child'?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, so I think I'm going to make the jump, I think I'll enter Melee more often now, I've just been playing this game and realizing my playstyle just gels so much better with the entirety of Melee's gameplay and mentality over Brawl. I like being tricksie and more aggro, I just never really had the consistent tech skill until more recently.

Granted, it's still extremely frustrating when half of it gets sapped when you don't do it after awhile, but it was more frustrating when my consistency in cancels and whatnot was like 20% each time lol. Now, it's a loooooot more fun

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Almost done with the first part of the rankings!
I even have an awesome logo for it too.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I have to give a little to everyone, but you can have most of it.

BTW, can anyone tell me who these guys main?
[FONT=courier new,courier]Bird
Bobzilla
Box
****ard

Thanks
[/FONT]

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Bobzilla is from Washington I believe. Don't quote me on that though cause I'm not sure.

Edit: Nevermind I can't go to Best Bout, it is Dad's weekend at OSU.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash

The rankings have been made!

...at least for the summer Season. I can already see some players that will move up for the winter Season (Binx, Foos, and of course Gage).

If Bobzilla ends up being WA, I guess I'll have to move him to the Out of Region rankings.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Good **** Timmy, please dont put an H in my name :)

Foos should defiantly be higher than Box though. Also are we just keeping panelists out? Cause I really think there should be some.

Binx

Smash Master
haha I have a test tomorrow really early, I really wanted to go today but I cant afford to fail this class or it sets me back an entire year.

Its all good though, I'll take your money some other week =D

JonnyW

Smash Ace
haha I have a test tomorrow really early, I really wanted to go today but I cant afford to fail this class or it sets me back an entire year.

Its all good though, I'll take your money some other week =D
Woo, I like the smack talk haha.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
yeah that list should definitely be taking in more info. Me, Jesse, and Ratking weren't really even entering until this september
Definitely this. I am cool with it for now, because really it doesn't matter. We haven't put a panel together, and this way seems pretty legit, and gives the least room for *****ing.

I also think that the updates should possible be every 2 or three tournaments. Probably 3. I think WA is doing 3 now. That seems like a good sample, and keeps mixing up the list more often, which might motivate people to continue to try to climb up it. We should update after November BB, then again in February etc.. That is my two cents.

EDIT: Actually, I think ultimately if we could get a panel, and do this in conjunction with it, it would be ultimately the best. Then make the data available to everyone else not in the panel, and panelists can give reasons why they did or did not deviate from what the numbers said in their decisions.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Good **** Timmy, please dont put an H in my name
Sorry about that, I think I was copy\pasting from tournament data and there must have been one with an 'h' in it. I can go change that.

Also Bobzilla is a Sheik Main from WA
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I only recognized Eggz, Bladewise and Nerd from WA, everyone else I had to just assume was OR until otherwise noted. I'll go put him into the OoR rankings section.

I also think that the updates should possible be every 2 or three tournaments. Probably 3. I think WA is doing 3 now. That seems like a good sample, and keeps mixing up the list more often, which might motivate people to continue to try to climb up it.
That sounds like a good idea. I can break the Seasons up to 3-month spans.

I just really don't want to be listed and would appreciate it in the future. It's somewhat difficult to explain, I guess.
It's probably not that difficult to explain, but I guess if you really-really don't want to be included I can just take your name off. :\

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You say this why? <-- legitimately asking
Is it inaccurate for today's ranking, or for the summer ranking?

Surreal

Smash Ace
I don't have all two tournaments to look at to really tell, but I'm sure foos and debaser placed higher on average than box or mofat.

Heck I'm pretty sure I've been to more tournaments than mofat in the summer and placed higher on average.

imo it would be

1. Juce (he does/did go to tournaments lol)
2. Bird
3. Binx (Keeper would be here, but he wants to be ommitted. Otherwise, he would be 3rd and everyone else bumped down a spot)
4. Alien
5. Foos
6. Jonny? (I honestly don't know how well he's done in tournaments so take this placement with a pinch of salt)
7. Debaser
8. Me? (I can't judge my skill at all since I'm bad but can still do decent against people idk how it works)
9/10. I don't even know lol

Regardless the whole demand for a PR now is silly (despite my hypocrisy as a new smasher and wanting one) just because we don't even have that many good players (with this winter/fall PR we'd have like barely 10 good/decent players to put on it), and all this demand for one and onslaught of everyone shouting "MM?!" at each other (one of the last few pages on this thread was just everyone challenging each others to MM's what the frick lmao) just shows that everyone just wants to prove themselves as better than everyone else and stroke their egos (because who doesn't want an official list to show that you're better than ____ all written nicely?). This is competitive melee sure, but that doesn't mean the players need to have some attitude of only caring about how good they're considered.

Also I've looked at your ranking system (score, ceiling, win%), which doesn't seem to incorporate what you said you would a few pages ago (ranking being improved/lowered based on WHO you beat, not how many people you beat), which really makes a difference imo.

2) Create a CEILING
Ranking players simply on their AVERAGE is not a full story of their strength as a player. In order to determine a player's strength a CEILING statistic is created. A player's CEILING represents the best opponent they have a WIN against in a tournament.
What you said a few pages ago.

"CEILING
This is the highest win you've achieved in a tournament. To keep this from over-inflating the SCORE it is limited by the 'Double Ceiling' (that is, the measure of your best opponent's CEILING). "

What you said on AiB

But hey, take what I say with another pinch of salt, cause I'm just that kid that doesn't go to anything, isn't that good, and just bickers about everything.

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
My gamer tag is mr postman not box... haha

I don't understand why everyone remembers me as box I used that gamer tag for like 5 tourneys and I was super inactive back then.

Super Foos is the best player in the world and should be on top! haha

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm sure foos and debaser placed higher on average than box or mofat.
"Placed higher"? Or did you mean to say "won against stronger opponents"?
Remember that the system I'm using ranks players relative to the strength of the players they win against in tournament brackets, not by overall tournament placement.

However, I went back and looked at Debaser's data and saw that he actually is put in the wrong spot. He should be at the same rank as Jiz zard with his Win% putting him at 8th instead of 7th.

I guess I should go change that. :\

Heck I'm pretty sure I've been to more tournaments than mofat in the summer and placed higher on average.
For the span of May through August, you went to LOST4 and he went to BestBout2. That's not more; and, I already mentioned how 'placing higher' is irrelevant in the rankings.

Also I've looked at your ranking system (score, ceiling, win%), which doesn't seem to incorporate what you said you would a few pages ago (ranking being improved/lowered based on WHO you beat, not how many people you beat), which really makes a difference imo.
It might not have been apparent to you, but yes that's exactly how the system works. If you'd like further details I'd be happy to share them.

Also you use knee too much don't knee enough.
Fixed.

My gamer tag is mr postman not box... haha
Oh, I was wondering who Box was. I can change that for you if you'd like. :)

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
I have never played Jonny in tournament, but Bird beaten him in tournament. Jonny beat me in an MM and I think he has placed higher than me in general. At this point I would put him above me but below Bird.

The PR is clearly going to change once recent tournaments are factored in, but for people that actually played over the summer it is pretty accurate.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm going to go ahead and start the work on the next "Season" for the PR. I'm going to take Ratking's suggestion and go for a 3-month period. This will work out to be:

Q1 = Jan-Feb-March
Q2 = April-May-June
Q3 = July-Aug-Sept
Q4 = Oct-Nov-Dec

What I can do with this is take all four Quarters and produce a year-end ranking for a look at the bigger picture. :)

(just a BTW: Jonny's ranking SCORE is really good. From what I see he's going to be ranked really high even with Gage, Juce, Ratking, etc. appearing in brackets)

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Jonny I've always hated your attitude (on here, not irl).
I will not MM you.
Also you use knee too much.
Sorry if I come off as a jerk or something, I just have fun MM people, even for just a dollar.
And im pretty sure when I first came back to the scene you agreed to MM me anyways, it just never happened.

jonny is top 5 for sure. he just needs to wreck corvallis :D
WE NEED CREEWSSDSDFDSFDS. ITS SO IMPORTANT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom