• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
Smashfest at my place on Friday at 11am til approx 5ish, then my going away party starts. 3930 SW Plum St Portland OR 97219, Apt 2. Come make me suck less before tournament on Sat plz. And say bye, because I move to Eugene June 15th-ish.

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
We decided against Melee. I asked you guys if you wanted Melee and not enough of you showed interest. I have been defending you guys for so long but y'all are just never showing up to anything.

debaser

Smash Lord
yeah it's kind of an awkward weekend for me, otherwise I woulda been all over it. thanks for the effort though :).

And thanks for thinking that we need to be defended or something, that's very cute of you. :3

keeper

Smash Champion
We decided against Melee. I asked you guys if you wanted Melee and not enough of you showed interest. I have been defending you guys for so long but y'all are just never showing up to anything.
It's probably better to just have it as a possibility instead of making people that aren't sure of what the hell they're doing commit to something only to disappoint individuals. It's a lot better than having two tournaments out of games that are both a complete joke.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
The problem with possibility, Evan, is that it turns into a no-go when enough people say they won't go, leading other people to believe that there will not be a tournament at all, which becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. There's a reason why we haven't had a melee tournament since december. I'm not saying to lie or do something you don't want to do; I'm just saying that you all should make an effort to try to come to these things. I go to tournaments and all I see is brawl. I can play brawl, but I'd generally rather play melee.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
I'd offer to house you if my parents weren't dropping by from out of town, sorry mate! I doubt I'd give you any practice anymore anyway haha, maybe Surreal could! I look forward to seeing how nasty your pika is now at the tourney tho, man!

debaser

Smash Lord
The problem with possibility, Evan, is that it turns into a no-go when enough people say they won't go, leading other people to believe that there will not be a tournament at all, which becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. There's a reason why we haven't had a melee tournament since december. I'm not saying to lie or do something you don't want to do; I'm just saying that you all should make an effort to try to come to these things. I go to tournaments and all I see is brawl. I can play brawl, but I'd generally rather play melee.
true words.

We need a solid monthly in portland that is melee only and will happen regardless of who shows immediate interest. Most melee attendees just don't post on the internet, so smashboards is an unreliable way to gauge melee attendance of a possible tournament. It's exactly what happened with LOST. People were saying melee players weren't gonna show up because we weren't spamming the aib page, yet when tournament time came melee had more entrees than it has ever had since brawl came out. And they were all oregon players (cept for eggz), mostly those who don't post all that much.

I would love to provide these tournaments someday.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, it's really an "either you're in or out" sort of thing, this thing was the same reason why Melee didn't happen at LOST 2 (although partially it was my fault because I guess I didn't vocalize it enough to let SOregon know that it was happening, despite it virtually being stated a month in advance). We don't care if Melee is the God-given game sanctioned by Chuck Norris and played by the Founding Fathers, that won't do a lick of good if only 4 people show up at the tournament when there was set aside time and setups for it.

Personally, if one of you guys stepped it up and provided for being a TO, more power to you. It was literally Veni Vidi Vici for me, I was sick of not having a consistent N. Oregon monthly, I took the initiative, I asked Gage to teach me a little of the ropes to run tournaments, and set about to do it on my own eventually, while learning along the way (I also got connected with Chris from GC and tried to expand my connections to other people he knew that had decent venues, and that's how I ran into Guardian Games). It's really not that hard, but you have to take the reigns for your own instead of sitting on it saying "Gee, I sure wish there was a X dream tournament that did my game this way" (not pointing fingers at anyone, that's just how it is).

I think a great idea would be if you got a system worked with some of Google's basic resources, like setting up something via google labs or something, just make that consistency happen. Even a social network that isn't smash based could work, just as long as you can make sure that communication is clear and established across your social circle.

@debaser: Sad to say, but despite you thinking otherwise, I really did have to debate for having Melee at LOST 3 because nobody was helping flex Melee's muscle attendance-wise until I pointed out how the first LOST had tons of melee entrants, and that I was willing to say that Smash as a whole needs to support all aspects of the game (despite me absolutely hating Smash64 because of that stint the Smash Twins went on, I would have that too if it didn't seem that SOregon was the only place where that scene thrived) if we are to be recognized as the great community we are and not as bigoted/inflated that other scenes overexaggerate about us as a whole. It was a good thing that people came though, that kind of helped remove doubt that Melee can still go strong.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
No, what I was saying was, they wanted Brawl only because they thought Melee was dying because of their impressions from LOST 2, and I was like "lolno"

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
True enough. Good thing it's not something to choose between! Smashfest here soon, tourney tomorrow. Yay!
gahhhh i just got off work and want to show up so bad but i dont have a car till like 6. anyone driving there that could pick me up? will throw down mad cash for gas yo

if you can drive me text/call 541 514 1597

debaser

Smash Lord
Yeah phil, I see what you're saying. Which is why melee needs to remove the training wheels and stand on its own.

it's fate and health shouldn't be decided by brawlers.

also: thanks for making that tournament happen phil.

keeper

Smash Champion
My thought is if you have it open and don't **** all over someone coming with a gamecube and bring people that want to play, then a melee tournament can happen.

I can't easily go to tournaments or smashfests because I don't drive. I don't have the money, the means, or even a ****ing birth certificate (story here) required to get a car, license, and insurance. I also happen to live in a **** area where people don't want to drive up a steep hill to pick up some kid they barely know to play a video game. I've been asking if anyone can give me a ride on here and AiB for the last week or two with little to no response (I think Aaron and Allen were the only ones that even talked about giving people rides). I don't know, I'm kind of reaching the point where I'm considering just saying screw it and not trying because I'm a little *****. Though I like going because I win without even playing the game on a consistent basis anymore, that's probably how Aftermath feels, only he's better than me.

tl;dr ride plz y u no giv ride

Edit: Brawl is a joke. It objectively has some of the worst gameplay for anything I've ever seen reach such levels of competition. 13% chance of tripping and leading into whatever is one of the most ******** things I've ever heard of in any game, that's like the stupidest aspect of Mario Party: Xtra RAEG edition put into a fighter.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Do you have a cell phone/can you get to a place near I-5? I would be willing to pick some people up I just don't want to drive everywhere.

keeper

Smash Champion
Do you have a cell phone/can you get to a place near I-5? I would be willing to pick some people up I just don't want to drive everywhere.
I have a cell phone, but no way to get west enough to be near I-5. I do not blame you for not wanting to drive out here. I'm moving some time in July, hopefully that improves my situation.

Surreal

Smash Ace
Eric quit, and thus him and sutherlin won't come = 3-5 entrants

idk what Scott was doing = 1 entrant

idk what artifice was doing (besides adderall) = 1 entrant

Gage moved = 1 entrant

Bart is stranded = 1 entrant

Binx and Box didn't show up and have been incognito = 2 entrants

Kami has been incognito as well = 1 entrant

that's like 10-12 entrants right there of kids who used to come to stuff/could've gone to this.

Surreal

Smash Ace
Eric quit, and because of that Jason and Jesse can't go to stuff (they both like smash still but neither can go places, let alone NOregon often).

Jesse says he plans to eventually move back up to his house here in sherwood though (I hope so).

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
All I know is that Eric is retired, I was under the impression that Jason and Juce still played but I am not sure. Regardless, this was one of the most fun tournaments I have been to. Great job hosting as usual Phil, keep it up.

Also Paul will lose next time, the bird is going to be shot down.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
GGs guys, was great seeing you all again, satisfied with the way I played and good to see a lot of new talent cropping up in my absence. I enjoyed our carpool rides immensely btw including gas disaster haha. Next time I turn on my cube will be in Eugene, and I may well be regularly driving up to Portland so Eugene smashers are welcome to come along. Honestly had a great time though, I couldn't even get frustrated when I was eliminated because I had such a great time :) Hopefully everyone else will sleep as well as I do tonight lol. ~zzzz

EDIT: Also a HUUUUUGE thanks to Phil for putting all of this together! It's really appreciated man, you're doing great things for the Oregon scene my friend.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Pretty much in Corvallis I play these characters:

Paul - Falco
Kazuki - Falco, Fox
Michael - Doc, Samus, others
Adrian - Falco, Sheik, Marth
Jon - Marth, Fox

I have too much experience with fox and falco for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom