• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I'm sorry if I came across as mean or insulting I just don't see how you could get a ken combo or most Marth combos without killing yourself, seeing as how Roy's spike is above him so if you get someone with the spike your probably gonna die from the end lag of the move too. And true you don't need to explain yourself but this is the Roy strategy thread where we talk about different strategies with Roy. So explaining yourself would be helpful. Again sorry if I came off as a jerk or something like that.
Its OK but yes you can do the Ken combo because roys up b can be moved verticaly unlike marths

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
If you can show me a video of someone Ken combing with Roy i'll believe it but for now I still think it's A)not practical and B) really punishable
It might be project m but it's still Roy doing a Ken combo

Last edited:

Scorpio750

Smash Rookie
Ik but pm has the same mechanical as melee
This is a Melee thread, if you're going to make a claim about a character's attributes, please use footage from the relevant game.

The reason PM Roy is able to do a Ken Combo is because Roy's IASA frames for his dair dropped by 15 frames (from 64 to 49) from Melee to PM. That's a huge reduction in ending lag that makes recovering from a Ken Combo feasible in PM. Melee Roy cannot perform a Ken Combo without SDing off the side. (See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbqwK2eiWyQ, where even jumping off a platform Roy still stays in endlag too long to input Blazer in time to recover).

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I dont care anymore I quit maining Roy because people like you are just plain out rued

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I'm having issues seeing 1) who you're referring to when you say this (probs. me) 2) how we were being rude and 3) if you're dropping melee Roy or PM Roy
Not you Scorpio you apologized and if you look up can Roy do Ken combo everyone says its possible and I've done it before but harder to do because of the sweet spot you need to hit

Last edited:

vZakat

Half Genie
I went to smash con and had a lot of fun. I don't main Roy anymore but still want to be the best Roy so I played a good amount of friendlies with him. I also money matched DJ Nintendo in Roy dittos and almost beat him. I lost 3-2. It was probably the most fun I had in a set that whole weekend. Roy sucks but he sure is a hell of a lot of fun. lol

LSDX

Wah!
I went to smash con and had a lot of fun. I don't main Roy anymore but still want to be the best Roy so I played a good amount of friendlies with him. I also money matched DJ Nintendo in Roy dittos and almost beat him. I lost 3-2. It was probably the most fun I had in a set that whole weekend. Roy sucks but he sure is a hell of a lot of fun. lol
Roy sucks almost as much as you, and that's p bad. Abandon Roy and find a new subboard to shìtpost.

Last edited:

vZakat

Half Genie
Roy sucks almost as much as you, and that's p bad. Abandon Roy and find a new subboard to shìtpost.
lol what's with the random aggression? I already abandoned Roy btw. I care enough about Roy to keep up with what's happening on these boards though. I was just telling about my roycapades at SSC, not sure how that's a ****post but I don't know how to ****post so whatever. *shrugs*

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
lol what's with the random aggression? I already abandoned Roy btw. I care enough about Roy to keep up with what's happening on these boards though. I was just telling about my roycapades at SSC, not sure how that's a ****post but I don't know how to ****post so whatever. *shrugs*
Meet LSD, the biggest troll of the Roy mains. :p

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
LOL you say this but this is literally the first trolly thing I have seen on all of the Roy boards. Except for that thread Hax made
I say it because I know the dude in real life, we live in neighboring cities and go to the same Aurora tournament.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
Undisputed Most Disrespectful Roy in the Midwest™
The Undisputed Most Disrespectful Roy in the Midwest™ VS The Undisputed Most ******** Roy in the Midwest™
Coming to you on someday night at UnspecifiedTournamentGoNoJohnsGameOverEVOAPEXTheBigHouseZenith2015FC20XReturn!

Sponsored by Doritos.

vZakat

Half Genie
That's not even trolling though, that's just being ********. I was on smashboards when we actually had good trolls. Y'all pale in comparison lol.

Freakanoid

Smash Rookie
Was playing friendlies the other day with Roy and I started using the small step forward smash where I would usually fsmash, or even when a regular fsmash wouldn't reach the sweet spot. Anyone else made use of this? Though small, it's a nice little range boost that Roy could definitely use. Though it's similar to pivoting an fsmash, as the wiki mentions, it's much easier and gives a (very) slight frame advantage over it.

SHATT3R

Smash Rookie
NNID
LagasaurusRex_2
I dunno if anyone's thought about this, but I was just screwing around with Roy today when I realized that using his D-Smash to techchase might be a fairly good way to get quick percentage. Thoughts?

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
I dunno if anyone's thought about this, but I was just screwing around with Roy today when I realized that using his D-Smash to techchase might be a fairly good way to get quick percentage. Thoughts?
I think i saw Amsa (that japanese yoshi main) screwing around with roy once, and he was definitley doing that. Let me see if i can find it

Last edited:

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Haio O/ so i recently started playing Melee after watching it for a year, and when i watched it I knew I would main Roy. So yea know I main him and I have gotten a little bit better! From Sweden btw xD. Any tips for a new player? I train a lot against my big brother who is a Marth main so I have figured a little bit about the matchup. I will go at a tournament on Saturday or/and in winter. Any tip is really helpful!

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
Haio O/ so i recently started playing Melee after watching it for a year, and when i watched it I knew I would main Roy. So yea know I main him and I have gotten a little bit better! From Sweden btw xD. Any tips for a new player? I train a lot against my big brother who is a Marth main so I have figured a little bit about the matchup. I will go at a tournament on Saturday or/and in winter. Any tip is really helpful!
Roys exist in Europe? :O Anyhow, for the Marth match-up specifically, I figured out I can Flare Blade off stage against a far-out Marth and up-B to the ledge and gimp him. SSBM Kawaii-Kun (Roy) vs WaifuBodyPillow (Marth) I pulled it off on the first stock in this footage, but I jumped too far in every attempt afterwards. lol

To anyone else reading this derp post: How's my friend's Marf and my Roy in zis video?

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Roys exist in Europe? :O Anyhow, for the Marth match-up specifically, I figured out I can Flare Blade off stage against a far-out Marth and up-B to the ledge and gimp him. SSBM Kawaii-Kun (Roy) vs WaifuBodyPillow (Marth) I pulled it off on the first stock in this footage, but I jumped too far in every attempt afterwards. lol

To anyone else reading this derp post: How's my friend's Marf and my Roy in zis video?
Yea you're right flare blade is probably his best edge guarding tool against barf... I mean Marth. You can quickly return to stage and it comes out really quick for being a "Roy move" . :o shiz your pressure is sick with Roy tho! Gotta study this video hard! Also btw, anyone got suggestions in training reads? I was to be honest pretty good in sm4sh using reads with Yoshi, and I actually became the ~top 3 Yoshi player in Sweden. But in melee it's so fast it's hard to think what they're going to do! I have gotten a few reads but not that many ;~;

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
Yea you're right flare blade is probably his best edge guarding tool against barf... I mean Marth. You can quickly return to stage and it comes out really quick for being a "Roy move" . :o shiz your pressure is sick with Roy tho! Gotta study this video hard! Also btw, anyone got suggestions in training reads? I was to be honest pretty good in sm4sh using reads with Yoshi, and I actually became the ~top 3 Yoshi player in Sweden. But in melee it's so fast it's hard to think what they're going to do! I have gotten a few reads but not that many ;~;
Reading in Melee can be pretty difficult in relation to other Smash games due to the amount of movement options and techniques there are in Melee. It's just a matter of watching and catching someone's habits and covering their possible options as best as you can. My method of getting better with reads is facing off as many different players as possible and analyzing their styles mid-match.

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Reading in Melee can be pretty difficult in relation to other Smash games due to the amount of movement options and techniques there are in Melee. It's just a matter of watching and catching someone's habits and covering their possible options as best as you can. My method of getting better with reads is facing off as many different players as possible and analyzing their styles mid-match.
Ok thanks for the tip :D

Top Bottom