• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Midlands Thread. NEXT EVENT: EDmas 2! LOOK IN ITS OWN THREAD

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
As the Midlands is having a resurgence of interest in Melee, i felt like a thread is what we needed, to keep track of tournaments and general chat area for people of the Midlands

NEXT TOURNAMENT

Name: EDmas 2
Hosted By: Kone
Date: Saturday 7th December
Facebook page: EDmas 2 Thread: Smashboards

COMING SOON
Name: Lay The SmackDown
Hosted by: Calzum (Me lol)
Date: Jan 2014
MORE INFO COMING SOON

PREVIOUS TOURNAMENTS AND RESULTS

Up-B Regional Tournament, Nottingham (Melee + P:M) (Link)
top 8 bracket
1st. L-J:foxmelee:
2nd. Kone :peachmelee:
3rd. Tamoo :falcomelee: :jigglypuffmelee: :marthmelee:
4th Willz :falconmelee: :mariomelee: :falcomelee:
5th Hao :marthmelee:
5th Jin :foxmelee: :jigglypuffmelee:
7th Calzum :peachmelee: :sheikmelee:
7th Brado :jigglypuffmelee:

Kone

Smash Master
I would turn up but it'd not be fair on all :(. Played brad and sam recently-ish and they still had nout ;_;

Edit - smashboards is like a corpse...what the hell happened? gutted.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Hi Ed, a lot of people post on the Smash UK discussion group on fb now so Smashboards activity died out totally when that happened. Recently though this place has been seeing activity again which is good. :)

Kone

Smash Master
Hey Alex...that is a shame. FB is not the answer to everything...you crazeee kids and your social networking. A good ole forum is the key to good organisation and a healthy community (discussion).

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Nice to see your interested Ed! Yeah they'll be both P:M and Melee

Everybody is so hyped over P:M which is the reason it'll be at the monthly, I should really get a Wii and start playing it haha

Hey Alex...that is a shame. FB is not the answer to everything...you crazeee kids and your social networking. A good ole forum is the key to good organisation and a healthy community (discussion).
This is what I'm saying!

Kone

Smash Master
Cool - im up for playing/learning some PM. Works work now so got plenty of time to get into some smash again. Maybe happy to pitch in with running some monthlies :). I just watched American pie reunion the other day (1. not sure why lol and 2. it was ****e) and made me contemplate running some sort of Smash Reunion tournament ^_^ see who I can get out of the woodwork etc. Will muse it over...

I have a wii no idea how to sort out PM on it. Older I get lazier I become with tech :)

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
It'd be nice if you wanted to pitch in!

Me and Brad we're gonna sort out planning a national in Leicester City centre too, i think the UK needs tournaments out of London, i've found some decent venues too, we could put our ideas together for a bigger tournament :)

I used to know when i was 15/16 but that seems like a long time ago now, I wouldn't be able to do it for the life of me today! :p

Jolteon

A Kone tournament? Count me in! :D

Also to get PM to work on a PAL Wii you need to softmod it, easy enough to do though. I can help you with that at some point.

Kone

Smash Master
Ben - Yeah why not :). I quit last time as work was eating up so much time and I didn't have much time left for a hobby that I had heavily invested in in the past. My work is really settled now, I am head of department and not having to work overly hard for promotion etc. pretty much just ticking along nicely. Hobby time!!!

Alex/Cal - The venue I used for SNY is a residential centre for youth groups and schools. The reason I could get it for SNY was I use it for school trips and fieldwork residentials (still do). So, the owners trust me to use it and I get it discounted. If you are wanting to run a national then we can use that venue and I will vouch - it is large, cheap and accessible via Birmingham! Frustratingly, I dumped all the CRTs I had collected for SNY (a ****load) so I would have to start massing them again! not that hard by gumtree, freecycle and nicking them from dumps. Though my school has quite few I can take. Cal, if you are looking for other such venues make sure it is a venue that is socially good as well; gaming centres etc. are ****e and erode community spirit. Alex, if you can give me a quick step by step on setting up PM on my wii I would be grateful!

Who is going to Sams for this tourney then on the 9th? wondering who my competition is. If it is Brad he's ****e, Tam is alreet but I can deal with jiggs np, no one else is the midlands was ever decent except George...is he turning up? he was getting pretty good last time I was about but that was against by joke of a Samus; Peach will handle him. Looks like this tourney is mine >:D

Jolteon

Sounds great Ed, glad your career's been going smoothly. :) Also glad to hear you still have access to that venue, it was really amazing. George is going to that event, afaik.

Also for PM, I've sent this guide to several people and they've had success using it: http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-4609.html

I'd recommend using cfg usb loader personally, and bear in mind that the latest download link will be on the new website (projectmgame.com), but try that out first and let me know if it works for you.

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
, if you are looking for other such venues make sure it is a venue that is socially good as well; gaming centres etc. are ****e and erode community spirit.

nah not looking for anything like that, just gymnasiums and big halls you can rent out, similar to the main room at SNY ( minus everything else that made SNY great!), but if you say the venue was pretty cheap and we all know it works well for a tournament, id be down for using that !

Also for PM, I've sent this guide to several people and they've had success using it:http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-4609.html

I'd recommend using cfg usb loader personally, and bear in mind that the latest download link will be on the new website (projectmgame.com), but try that out first and let me know if it works for you.
thanks for this Alex, ill see what i can do over the weekend to get this running

I'm at Sams on the 9th to be honest i feel like I'm better then i ever have been, just for the fact I'm older so i feel i just have a better grasp of it all and have more knowledge on the game :) yeah brads ****e, coulda 3 stocked him every game yesterday if i didn't sandbag. ;)
Mainig that Falco now because **** peach is boring

Kone

Smash Master
Well we can use that venue. I just need to assess whether the community is still sustainable enough for such a tournament; it is really hard trying to attain that using smashboards and smashUK - has really polarised the community, its size and its strength :S. Alex - what do you think the numbers are?!

We should have rankings for all midlands tournaments - be nice to see my name beside the 1. slot ;)

Jolteon

Melee numbers have really dwindled, we get like 10 people per monthly and 20ish for nationals (just London/people close tbh). :| Having said that I have observed a decent rise lately, a lot of people have very recently been coming out of the woodwork lately like the old LC crew, Birm players, Tamoo/Yeniths, j3ly's crew, Manchester (Aiko/Bullet Bill+3ish new players), LJ etc. and we actually do have a fair bit of new blood as well as Brawlers/new players who have had an interest in Melee after seeing the Smash Documentary, so I think something *could* be done now,

Kone

Smash Master
Alex - where should I direct the focus? melee or PM? is PM a better chance as it is fresher for numbers? 20 seems pretty dire really :s. Also, what smash documentary????

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Alex - where should I direct the focus? melee or PM? is PM a better chance as it is fresher for numbers? 20 seems pretty dire really :s. Also, what smash documentary????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tgWH-qXpv8 4 hour documentory on the history of smash, really good stuff

MM every month, and bring the rest of birmingham!

I think midlands Rankings will be great addition to the monthlies :)

edit, ninja'd by Alex :(

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
The numbers for melee are low in HOG. I still haven't released info as to when Smash Ain't Dead 3 is but I will be releasing all info, promo videos and posters together. Those events are promising for melee attendants anyway.

If you do a tournament to get maximum numbers I think it's best to equalise your focus on all Three, Melee, Brawl and Project M. But then again all depends on how big you would like your event to be.

Kone

Smash Master
Brawl wont happen. Im not in it just to make numbers, maybe ill aim to make PM in the UK like I made Melee :)

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Midlands melee sucks, but it's still the best community around, london sucks.

LCLCLCLCLCLC

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
LC da bess
LC da bess
LC da bess
LC da bess

it makes london really mad
manchester be mad
scotland really mad
all of the uk be mad
i said LC da bess

Kone

Smash Master
Eew- this is the problem with social networking and the death of smashboards...unless you post something meaningful with some intelligence; real discussion, real banter can't happen. Just look at your last posts cal and will - wtf are they going to achieve? trash talking only works when there is a base, a foundation, to work off. Christ, it is possible to think for more than a minute, not be distracted by other media and write a paragraph with some form of constructed thought :s

My day to day life U_u'

ps imo Will is one of the worst posters on UK smash threads of all time. Just saying it!

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Will brings out the worst in me on this site :c haha

Anyway, it'll be nice seeing everybody at Sam's next if everybody makes it! I'm taking first in singles, not settling for anything less just you lot wait ;)

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
cheers ed, I'm the worst poster of all time, yeeeeeeee

intelligent posting all day eryday
also cal, I found the new LC mascot -:happysheep:

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
depends, got a lot of uni work man, doing an assignment that's 50% of one of my courses as we speak that's due in tomorrow lol

I'm definitely going to the London tournament though yayuh, as that's after all my current assignments for my courses are due in

Kone

Smash Master
Will - Prioritise your workload. Chunk it out. Make a schedule and keep to it. Get it all done on time with minimal stress. That way it won't be crap and you'll set yourself up with the right mind set and skills you need in the real work place. Do it now and save yourself the hassle it'll cause you later in life :)

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
that's fair man, might be the only lc entrant if brad flakes, Ed thinks he has this but i'll be bringing home the title of best in the Midlands ;)

Kone

Smash Master
I don't own a gamecube controller, haven't in sometime (since SNY). Don't need to. Don't need to practice. My win.

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
but you have samus on your side, who the **** plays samus, how do you play vs her haha!

might buy one of these buy one for cheap and hand it to the winner of the first monthly, they bring it back next month and the winner of that month wins it , it'll be the World Heavyweight championship of the midlands ;)

just a bit of fun, a way to the monthlies a bit more fun and interesting :)

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
good idea cal, it's been a while since I was last world champ, randy orton the faget

and Ed; yeah I realise that now haha. Thought uni would be piss easy on 1st year (it is) but I've already had to do 7 assignments already that are crucial on determining whether I get into year 2 or not already, if I fail the ones I've already submitted than I have to do the year again yaaaaay.

Top Bottom