• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Midlands Thread. NEXT EVENT: EDmas 2! LOOK IN ITS OWN THREAD

L-J

Smash Ace
I happen to be in the area on the weekend of up-B so should be able to attend. Would be good to see you there Ed! Is there any chance of squeezing in a Melee doubles tournament along with the Melee and P:M singles? I'm sure it could be done if everyone helps the tourney run efficiently and the more games the better!

Kone

Smash Master
Be nice to see you :) always a pleasure! would love some doubles as well...was always better at it than singles!

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
I'm sure it wouldn't take that long to do singles, i think we could do Melee singles, Melee dubs and PM singles with ease

ofcourse, it would all depends on how many setups sam has

Aurareus

Smash Rookie
Eew- this is the problem with social networking and the death of smashboards...unless you post something meaningful with some intelligence; real discussion, real banter can't happen. Just look at your last posts cal and will - wtf are they going to achieve? trash talking only works when there is a base, a foundation, to work off. Christ, it is possible to think for more than a minute, not be distracted by other media and write a paragraph with some form of constructed thought :s

My day to day life U_u'

ps imo Will is one of the worst posters on UK smash threads of all time. Just saying it!

I feel like we could be friends.

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Not played it since alpha man, though been watching videos and I like the look of ROB, failing if I don't like him I'll go to like Falco or someone who feel like Melee :3

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Ah, PM 2.0 was a huge patch and it changed a lot. Even 2.0 -> 2.6b has been quite a difference. Cool that you're interested in ROB though, Alpha Dash plays him and JCaesar in the states does super well with ROB.

HalfBakedHarry

Smash Rookie
Hey everybody, this is my first post on Smashboards. I live in Nottingham and have been playing Smash Bros against the AI for the past 10 years <.< I'd come down to this first event to be destroyed by everybody if you don't mind a 17 year old hanging around. I was in your Sa2 live stream Jolteon.

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Hey everybody, this is my first post on Smashboards. I live in Nottingham and have been playing Smash Bros against the AI for the past 10 years <.< I'd come down to this first event to be destroyed by everybody if you don't mind a 17 year old hanging around. I was in your Sa2 live stream Jolteon.

Smash has no age limit man, i was 15/16 when i went to my first tournaments of course you can show up man, we're always looking for new players for the community

@Jolt thats cool man, i was watching JCeaser vids on youtube and it makes ROB look fun man! cant wait to try it

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Brad thinks he's gonna win on sat because he randomly 4 stoked me while I had my tired no sleep feel like death john

Bless him.

That tournament is mine, tournament mindset, don't care about friendlies/ crappy £2 mm brah

Brado

Smash Lord
That was quick, I only just left haha. I'm not going to win I just don't see how you're possibly going to do well if you never play good against me :SS

Ed that was mean, I will beat you

Kone

Smash Master
Cal: I think Brad is right. You got to be more realisitic with your expectations and set appropriate goals. As an example, for you Cal, your first goal and main priority should be beating HalfBakedHarry.

Brad: i know, and you know, that just isn't going to happen ;)

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I remember you. =] Welcome to the boards, I was 13 when I went to my first event so age is not really a big deal.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
I'm 16 and I haven't attended a tourney yet but age is just a number!

That only applies when it comes to meetups and stuff, not anything else, YKWIS.

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
I cannot even remember writing that post haha, all i remember was going right to sleep after you came round brad, weird ( So many Johns i know )

Ill MM you again tomorrow/wednesday, i got dis

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
I will beat both of you even though I don't play melee at all.

Also, how are you guys getting there? I'm coming now yeeeeeeeeeeee
and Cal bring my Melee game, and if you don't bring it, give me money so I can buy a new one

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
I will beat both of you even though I don't play melee at all.

Also, how are you guys getting there? I'm coming now yeeeeeeeeeeee
and Cal bring my Melee game, and if you don't bring it, give me money so I can buy a new one
I have your melee?

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Yes, I left it round yours over a year ago on results day, that was the last time I played smash with either of you.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Okay well find it please cal, otherwise no melee training for willz evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

HalfBakedHarry

Smash Rookie
Just asking if anybody can give me an address for this. I swear I looked on Google maps and it was in Stratford and now it is 5 minutes away from my house. Also, If I am close I could get a small T.V and Melee / Project M down if that would help?

- Just found the address myself, no worries.

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Just asking if anybody can give me an address for this. I swear I looked on Google maps and it was in Stratford and now it is 5 minutes away from my house. Also, If I am close I could get a small T.V and Melee / Project M down if that would help?

- Just found the address myself, no worries.
If you have a CRT you can bring go on the tournament facebook page linked in the first post man and tell Sam on there, hes not been posting on here and he is the TO :)

more TV's the better though!

Kone

Smash Master
Cal - ranbats are ranking battles basically any tournament is one :s. you can give a name to the tournament series you run in Leicester yourself (as sam has) but ultimately any events series ran in the midlands should be perceived as a ranbat and count towards midland rankings. I am already looking into hosting edmas 2 this december and would want this to be the second tournament that counts towards rankings here in the midlands :).

If we get a lively community going, and yday i saw enugh evidence that we can, then sams tourney should be seen as the reboot and the restart of formal rankings...the results shouldnt be put aside.

We used to use the big man ranking sytem: http://www.ssbwiki.com/UK_Ranking . I think we should implement this from ydays results onwards and update the first post with it. I like this system as it promotes attainment AND attendance.

Ed x

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Siiick tourney in December yeeee

Quick shoutouts:

Sam: cheers for hosting man had a great time :)
Ed: i hate your peach
L-J: shine shine shine
Tamao: would of beaten you in PM if I didn't have to leave
Nottingham people: keep training and you might make bracket one day
Hao: fsmash scrub
Henry: DQ for smashing calz wii
LC: LCLCLCLCLCLC

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Cal - ranbats are ranking battles basically any tournament is one :s. you can give a name to the tournament series you run in Leicester yourself (as sam has) but ultimately any events series ran in the midlands should be perceived as a ranbat and count towards midland rankings. I am already looking into hosting edmas 2 this december and would want this to be the second tournament that counts towards rankings here in the midlands :).

If we get a lively community going, and yday i saw enugh evidence that we can, then sams tourney should be seen as the reboot and the restart of formal rankings...the results shouldnt be put aside.

We used to use the big man ranking sytem: http://www.ssbwiki.com/UK_Ranking . I think we should implement this from ydays results onwards and update the first post with it. I like this system as it promotes attainment AND attendance.

Ed x
i get you man, i pretty much wrote Ranbats in the title as a mistake, as at the time i was looking up what point system to use, 6:30 am isn't technical at the internet at that time with no sleep (i know bare johns) yeah that sounds good though Ed, ill take a look.

Didn't expect you to get so far yesterday man ( though if i didnt get caught in those 3 D-smashes i woulda had 1st in our pools :crying:) grats though man, i guess smash is like riding a bike for old smashers, you never forget haha.

Shoutouts
Sam: thank you for hosting man, one of the best tournaments ive been too!

L-J: didnt get to play you but grats on the wins,

Ed: Didn't expect you to get so far yesterday man ( though if i didnt get caught in those 3 D-smashes i woulda had 1st in our pools :crying:) grats though man, i guess smash is like riding a bike for old smashers, you never forget haha.

Tamoo: damn son i sucked vs you in bracket, next time i got thissss

Hao: its a shame we couldn't have our £5 mm's, next time for sure man!

Jin: man i had that Losers bracket match in melee, till that cheeky rest last stock, your fox is technically sound though man! was a little surprised.

Navi and Zunari: nice to see you two again! GG's to the both of you (Zunari in bracket n Navi in Friendlies )

Matthew: GG's in bracket man, you'll have to come down to Leicester and play with me and brad

All the other new players: its nice to see all these new people showing interest in melee! hope you'll all come to the other midlands monthlies if its another Sams tournament or Ed's tournaments or my tournaments, gg's to errybody i played.

Hao

Smash Journeyman
**** you hao

blame Tamoo innit haha

hella cool to see everybody again, and good to see new Melee players, seems like the Midlands has a pretty decent scene actually in terms of numbers

LC: You lot are fckin jokes man haha, GG's to you lot and yeah next time Callum (Y)

LJ: Cool seeing you again man, I wanna get some more sets vs. you next time

Ed: How are you still good when you haven't played in like years haha. GG man, hella close

Zunari: Best DK. Good to see & play vs. you after literally years aha, get some more sets in next time

Navi: White Marth is the way forward man (no racial) haha, GG's

GdGd: Played well during the pool set man, made some good calls during the match, you're doing well man GG's

Henry: 2-1 & dat rust aha, hopefully this'll get you playing more man

Sam: Thanks a lot for hosting man, doritos were gr8

Kone

Smash Master
Shoutouts then;

Lj - apologies for not making it competitive in the end :(. I watched you play brad in friendlies just after pools and knew there and then i couldnt take you. All the other fastfallers there were technically good but no where near precise enough to seriously worry my peach and force me to step up - i could rely upon my bread and butter peach game and experience to win. Against you your spacing was tight, movement good and punishment on point. My peach wasnt smooth enough to handle you, i couldnt wavedash out of shield to avoid punishment/force the dsmash on you during your approach (hence the sloppy rolling) and my edge guarding/throw game was obsolete! That wont last forever though ;) im taken you out next time!

Tam - some set! I really wish that had been recorded as it is probably the most engaging set i have been involved in for sometime. Apologies for wrecking your falco (see lj's message above) and your marth never overly concerned me (the main person i used to play melee at was a marth player. I know the match up inside and out). Your jiggs is great though and the mindgames in our set were intense - fourth game on yoshis was awesome! Your first rest seemed to seal it, then i took a stock from you without being hit and took advantage in the last stock, then, you sweetly rested me - major props :). Apologies for the ending - wish it had panned out differently. Ps stick with your jiggs it is entertaining. We dont need another falco!

Willz - when we played rock, paper, scissors your hands were shaken like ****...i knew id won the set there and then. You cant main falcon and not have confidence. It was completely reflected in your game and i never felt troubled :s. sort it out ;)

Hao - enjoyed our set. First game went too easily and i went on autopilot for the remainder. Your marth is nice and has a lot of mileage in it :). Looking forward to playing again soon.

Jin - very good for being new. Keep playing and youll be well decent :)

Cal - Old lions never die ;). I beat everyone except lj who made it into the tournament bracket during a competitive set (oh except brad but he didnt beat me in one friendly). Get back to me when youve done something similar instead of moaning about top in pools :p. until the pressure hits i aint going to pull out the magic ;)

Zunari - good set and very close (closer set than some of the matches i had in bracket). You deserved to finish much higher :(

Matt - pratice, practice and practice!

Everyone else - nice to see you all and hopefully play more next time.

Ed x

Top Bottom