• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Mario Match-Up Index

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
The hardest part about Diddy is keeping pressure on him. Other than that the two characters pretty much counter each other.
Yeah. It's weird. I faced a pretty Good diddy for the first time, and I was like: "The hell? How do I play this matchup?" and he was like: "Quoi? Comment est-ce-qu'on joue contre Mario?"

To say the least, it was the weirdest thing to try out. What do you do against diddy?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I don't give Diddy time to set himself up, through any means. If he does get himself set (having one banana at hand, the other either up front or behind him), I stop being on the ground and stay aerial, and start fireballing.

It's also very wise to grab bananas when thrown at you, and learn how to Glide Toss/JCT to set up combos when you do have a banana at hand. It's more important though to keep Diddy's gameplay with bananas to a minimum.

When you do all of this the match-up starts to even out. Sadly Diddy's moveset gives him just enough vs Mario so he doesn't have to completely rely on bananas to win, but Mario's moveset overall is better than his.

vato_break

Smash Master
i've played probably every good WC diddy, come out with a win and in all honestly i don't feel like diddy kongs are playing the matchup correctly. I feel like this matchup could be more in diddys favor. I think if diddys played with more grabs, air camping, Fowards airs, full hoping/vertical spacing and less naners this matchup could potentially become alot harder for mario.

SKidd

Smash Master
Diddy's aren't too hard to play against. just chose battlefield and he can't banana no more
And when I grab a banana I just use it for pressure, like, I'd short hop slowly toward him, then I'd throw the naner down and rush him. Throwing it down works for a setup too, eliminating a possible roll.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Why would Diddy have to resort to ditching his naners for spacing B-airs and F-airs when his main method of damage is going to deal far more?

Answer: Diddy doesn't have to resort to defensive poking if he isn't losing.

vato_break

Smash Master
Using Bananas in hand leaves diddy much more vulnerable and somewhate limits his approach,diddy kong can still use bannana for setups and leave them on the ground for baits. if diddy plays more defensive with his aerials he will be more safe and it will be easier to get in

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Are U saying that he is more vanarable if he uses his Bananas?

Bacause someone can just throw them backj

Ignore I now what you meen now

Continue

Calebyte

Smash Lord
I wish I was good at the Diddy matchup. He's my personal worst MU besides MK. I know I must be doing it wrong, but still.

SKidd

Smash Master
Diddy is gay
use your backup if you suck against him
if you're going all Mario....

switch colors to wario mario color (vato's color) for good luck =)

iMichael

Smash Lord
I think people are putting too much on this MU. I don't think Diddy is hard at all but then again I only play against level 9 cpu's and i think I'm the s*** (joking).

But seriously I think people are making it way harder than what it really is.

SKidd

Smash Master
Diddy players who know the matchup can make it about 60:40, if both know the matchup it's 50:50, and if Mario knows the mu then it's 60:40. lol...
if neither it's 50:50

vato_break

Smash Master
Diddy beats mario, someone please explain to me why mario beats diddy or why this would be even. i have alot of experience in both sides of this matchup and i can tell you if diddy does play this match up correctly mario will have a hard time in this match up.

vato_break

Smash Master
Most of my youtube videos consist of me fighting diddys with my mario so don't give me that go watch ___ videos. i know how to fight diddy kongs and i probably know the matchup better than any other mario. The problem is that most diddys are useing bananas as an approach and using bananas severely limits their approach because of mario's defense options. They should be using bananas as baits and maybe for PSNL. diddys should focus more on getting grabs and spacing with with SH and FH fairs and bairs.

SKidd

Smash Master
^i lol'd, especially since i tl;dr'd vato's post.

By the way, Caleb, I'd like to work on/do the Snake summary. he's my backup lol...

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-Diddy-Mario MU is even, if Diddy doesn't use nanerz x9-

@Vato: since you're neither a Mario-Diddy pure main, the threat of your Diddy against us is minimal x9-

vato_break

Smash Master
i think diddy kong beats mario slightly because he can just get the lead and run away. he has very good jumps and its hard for mario to catch diddy especially when mario can't really force an approach unless he has stock lead or something.

vato_break

Smash Master
perhaps but, it's alot easier for diddy to bring it back than mario. Mario has no reliable way to kill diddy, he can just gimp diddy well and gimps aren't always reliable. And diddy has a much easier time killing mario

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-Poor Vato, if u were truly a Mario, u would know how good is this MU for Mario, just don't confuse my kidz with those words, because, if u have doubts in your confidence in a MU, u will lose easier-

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I played his Diddy and he us pretty legit. He knows how to out-range and rack up damage against mario. If I didnt capitalize his mistakes he would have beaten me on SV. Its wifi so i dont know how much credit that gives but it should be something. Good **** Vato.

PS if you ever feel like teaching......shoot me a pm or something

Top Bottom