• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to take a picture of my controller with the plug as well... I made it green with a gold Z so no one would take my controller.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
The worse is when people unplug your contoller from mistake when trying to take out their own. It would be funny if they still unplugged your controller lol!

Shök

Smash Champion
Finally done! Here's the pics.

I plan on making some more fusionish controllers with new styles. I'll post those whenever I make them which won't be too far from now.
Very nice. Lovin' the colors. >=D

Shök

Smash Champion
I was gonna, but you reminded me of last time I bumped this thread. =o

SpectreXS

Smash Cadet
I bought a new controller from play-asia, because my old orange one had some issues with the L button (it doesn't recognize full press anymore), and here's the work in progress:

the two sticks, XY (I messed up with those) and the new shell I'm still working on:

And something I did to the black thing where you put the GCN controllers. It's ugly, but useful, because I never remember which is player 4 or 1:

Keitaro

Thats looking nice so far.

Btw for some reason my controller paint is starting to chip :( Its not crazy bad chipping but still. I don't keep the best care of my controllers when I put it away so it might be from dropping it on the floor or something.

SpectreXS

Smash Cadet
quick question: I finished painting the controller, and there's some paint inside the shell... could it possibly mess up with controller's functionality in the future?

Keitaro

It shouldn't. I have paint in my shell and everything is fine. Some people even paint the inside on purpose.

SpectreXS

Smash Cadet
I see, thanks for the help, the final result is here. The shell itself looked like what I thought it would be in the end (I'm no pro, so the blue lines weren't going to be perfect anyway), just the c-sticks are kinda weird I think... but anyway I have two unpainted ones, so I can switch them if I don't like :) I would be very pleased if it goes to OP

Edit: I didn't want to spray the rubber parts, being not so sure of the results... and I have the feeling that the paint will come out... but in anyway I'm satisfied

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Doesn't have to be perfect :) Just shows that you did it yourself, has it's own charm in a sense.
Also, the Wii-mote is custom I assume? I like the yellow :)

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Very nice :)

Yeah, don't let the spray on the rubber harden. When I did it, it became slick, so my thumbs couldn't do anything on them.

:phone:

SpectreXS

Smash Cadet
Doesn't have to be perfect :) Just shows that you did it yourself, has it's own charm in a sense.
Also, the Wii-mote is custom I assume? I like the yellow :)
aw thanks! 8D yes, I painted the wii mote, maybe some day when I'm not lazy I paint the rest of the buttons black too

also thanks for telling me the rubber issue! thank you everyone who enjoyed the controller

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
*looks at original post* That pink controller looks peachtastic. And so the other ones, wow, hmmmmm... this is something I try. X.x

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
thats the best controller ive ever seen.

so is it possible to paint the sticks in ANY way and have the rubber still grip?

also after seeing that controller I want to paint mine.

can I get a check list of things to buy....also approximate prices if known.

:phone:

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure you can get some rubber stick and spray that on... Otherwise AFAIK no.

So when I did my controllers, it cost me around this much.
This is a rough estimate if you're doing it for the first time. It's not too bad, but it's not cheap either when you first start out. Thankfully, I had all the paints and the handle because I was a spraypaint artist way back when.

Shök

Smash Champion
I'm sure you can find really cheap and still good sandpaper and your nearest Family Dollar. I got my pack of sandpaper for $1. =p

Shök

Smash Champion
I have 2 extra controllers, now. I should get around to painting them. Dx

Keitaro

That reminds me that I have a controller somewhere in the house that I could paint. I gotta do this next week. I'm going to try to do a fusion of colors for the controller similar to how I did my plug in thingies.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... I have 2 controllers that people want me to paint... I really should get on that...

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
Blue/silver triforce controller

Here is my new, finished painted controller!

the design turned out tougher than i thought, and i got a little overspray at first heh but i think it turned out well.. i used this thread, thanks for the help!

Shök

Smash Champion
I love how the clearcoat looks like. Very well done. ;D

Keitaro

Dang, thats pretty sexy Jackie.

I just painted another controller earlier today. I'll have pics up tomorrow :D

Keitaro

lol I just realized that as soon as I saw this thread updated. I'm going to find them and post them asap.

Edit: Here's one of the controllers. The other controller I never put back together although its painted. I will eventually.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I really like the fading effect you have with the transitioning of one color to another. The colors work well together, good stuff :)

Top Bottom