• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
Like what do you mean? How to start it?

Also, I use a Cstick with the rubber ripped off for my control stick. I feel I have more control when it's aprtly digging into my thumb. I can do tilts much easier.
Yeah like how to set up the wires themselves so a LED lights up when a button is pressed.

I would do that but huevoyoshi doesn't like the rubber part ripped off, he likes the grippy-ness. Well he rarely ever uses the c-stick but still lol. Maybe I should find a cover for it so the paint doesn't f:awesome: up or something lol.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Great guide. here is my result.

could i do anything to improve it? any ideas on button colors?

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Heres my first paint job :)

the image of Lucas is a picture I printed and stuck on when the first coat of clear coat was drying

The pic of Lucas kind of ruined it but im glad I put it on there

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
i like it. id say use dual analog sticks for double gray.

paint the buttons yellow or gray.

how did u paint taht **** on, stencil, or free brush or what?
I dont know how yellow would work, and im more comfortable playing with Cstick but ill try to make the sticks the same color. I like the gray idea though.

I attempted to stencil but if each symbol was too big it wouldnt look good, and if they were too small they would be too hard to cut. I tried using a razor blade to cut them but i realized that it wouldnt work.

I free brushed it with a modified toothpick actually, i wasnt comfortable using a brush, and couldnt find any that were small enough.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
This is awesome, but I would definitely...
most likely break my controller in the process ;)

Thumbs up for the guide, though.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Haha, the controller is laid out in a way that it's a giant 10 piece jigsaw puzzle; you won't get confused as to where the pieces will go. The only piece that you can possibly lose is the start button because it's so damn tiny!

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
This fusion paint seems to come right off, and it feels kinda "stickier" than the normal controller.

My friend did his with an airbrush, so I'll give that a try next. His has been perfect for a few years, and it feels like a legit controller.

Still needs to be sanded/primed though.
-DD

Shök

Smash Champion
Hmm. Haven't heard of that before. And, yeah. I've been wanting to try the airbrush method for a while. x)

Zante

Smash Rookie
Can anyone recommend brands of spray paint? I know about the Fusion paint but I would prefer to use regular spray paint.

Also, if I want to use a stencil for something, should I apply the base color first, let it dry for a few days, and then stencil the design?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone recommend brands of spray paint? I know about the Fusion paint but I would prefer to use regular spray paint.

Also, if I want to use a stencil for something, should I apply the base color first, let it dry for a few days, and then stencil the design?
I use Krylon for my friend's controllers, as well as mine. Finishes real smooth.

For the stencil, you can do it two ways.
1. You can spray the underlying color first and then put down a cutout (heavy cardstock I'd recommend) after it dries and then spray the rest with the next color. If you look at my controller, I use a Z print out. I used regular paper and I didn't let it dry that long, so that's why it looks a bit faded.

2. Spray the background, and then get a stencil with the cutout you want and spray through once the first coat dries. I'm not sure how well this will work

Shök

Smash Champion
I just noticed recently that I could get some of those for a bump. xD

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Haha :D

I've been wanting to do a controller for so long... but oh motivation how I lack thee x.x

Shök

Smash Champion
Just look at some of the controllers in the front page. >=D

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Naaa it's not that. I know what I want to do, how to do it, have the stencils.

I just don't want to go through and gut a controller and do all of the pre-work.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I just opened up my controller today and it was pretty simple. I just pray I can put it back together correctly.

I haven't seen any controllers painted that were the white gamecube controllers with the white wire. Maybe I'll be the first one around here :D I'll post a pic up whenever its done (within 2 days)

Shök

Smash Champion
Don't worry. It's not hard to put it back together at all. And, yeah. Don't forget to show us your results. >=D

Keitaro

Depending on whether I'm lazy or not it might just be a simply recolor or have my name painted on it too :p

Ill be back with pics when they're done.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
*likes the above post*

Maybe during next weekend (if I'm not overloaded with 3 coding projects) I'll start on a new controller.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I have taken my controller apart to replace some sticks, but it never gets put back correctly. It doesn't feel like it was when I first got the controller. There seems to be a gap or something on the seamline. :S I know for a fact that I line it up like I am supposed to. D:

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
On the seam line? Are you sure it's being lined up correctly? The mobo being replaced snug into where it needs to go, the cord wrapped around and wired correctly, and the rubbers in the correct spot? Are you sure when you put the cover on that you feel it "snap" in?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
It has been a while since I replaced my sticks and put the cover on, but yeah, I think I did hear it snap. I want to paint my controller before I go to this tournament in April, but I am sure my parents won't let me paint it. One can only hope. D:

Keitaro

Just a heads up. The newer white controllers are different on the inside than the usual controllers. The white controller has screws that need to be unscrewed to access the L and R buttons and because of the design.

Also the insides of the normal controller can not be matched with the bottom casing of a white controller. I found this out the hard way.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Eh? Still had to unscrew 2 screws from the other controllers as well though. Unless there's another layer that needs to be removed.

Keitaro

For the normal controller I didn't have to unscrew anything for the L and R buttons while I had to unscrew 4 screws to access the white controller's L and R. Maybe they have different types of original controllers.

But yeah, I painted a black controller and tried to put the bottom casing of it on my white controller and it wouldn't fit because the white controller's insides have 2 pieces sticking up that clash with normal cases and cause it to not connect cases.

Keitaro

lol yeah I know. I edited that out of my post because I decided to paint the plug for the controller (which I painted last night) so I'm delaying my pics till later tonight hopefully :p

Keitaro

Finally done! Here's the pics.

I plan on making some more fusionish controllers with new styles. I'll post those whenever I make them which won't be too far from now.

Top Bottom