• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Well done. I like the colors and stencil design.
Thank you :)

Every Friday night, I host a smashfest at McDonalds, and I got a lot of hits tonight. The boost in confidence is making me want to try to incorporate LEDs into it now.

Any tips? Thanks :)

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice

Another controller I did. My friend wanted a Lucario themed controller. I just did the basic Blue and Black colors for it. Here's a view of them in 2 different lightings (somewhat natural, and incandescent).

The controller was originally black. But I didn't like how it shined, so I actually primed and painted it the glossy black I wanted.

ludvigpasse

Smash Cadet

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
So here are the pics of my first controller I tried spray painting. It was originally silver. I definitely recommend using a finer grade of sand paper.

This is after priming and painting with a white coat.

Falco's head logo that also has a Z inside

my favorite part

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
If they used clear coat, they probably used a high glossy clear coat on the shiny one.

With clear coats, you can get flat, satin, and glossy. Glossy will get you a shiny appearance, while flat will net you a dry look. Satin somewhat shiny.

If you look at my controllers that I made, they're sprayed with flat clear coat.

Hope that clears things up :)

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys sand out the walls for the buttons before you painted the controller?

I unfortunately painted my controller and buttons before I realized that they are sticking. Any suggestions?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
When I painted my buttons, I sanded mine down. I did nothing to the controller's walls for it.

For my first controller, it was perfectly fine because I actually followed directions on the can in terms of distances sprayed.

I went through about 2 sets of buttons for the second one because I didn't follow the rules. If I learned anything from spraying buttons, it's this:
  • Sand the buttons. Don't do anything serious though.
  • Spray a LIGHT coat.
  • Spray at the distance it says on the can.
  • If you care about the rubbers, immediately clean it off after the time to be handled has passed. Since it's paint on rubber, it should come off fairly easily.
  • Reassemble the controller about 3 days after, making sure the clear coat has dried.

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the information Cloud.

Maybe someone should make a tutorial while showing us how the process of the painting and everything else is.. =)

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Cool! I'd really love to see a video be made ^^

Alsoo, if you have a white GC controller, i'm assuming that you won't need to sand it down?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
You don't need to, but I highly recommend it.

Because the gamecube controllers are already semi-glossy/satin, it makes it hard for primer to actually grip the controller's surface. Sanding it will let the primer grip much better to the controller.

What can happen if you don't sand it, and you spray the controller and everything, you might find the paint peeling off over time.

HNG

Smash Journeyman
I See..

Won't sandpaper like scratch the GC controller and leave marks? And do you have to sand EVERYTHING on the GC Controller?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Sanding can and will leave marks, yes. But when you add primer/paint/clear coat, this makes many layers that cover up the "scratches".

It'd be a good idea to try and sand everything ;)

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
You don't need to sand on the insides; you're not painting there. Or I should hope not.

Tonight when I make another controller for a friend, I'll rig up a device with a webcam so you can see what idealy is suppose to happen.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Topic starter should put the FAQ before the mass of pics haha
I'm definitely painting my controllers within the next two weeks probably :bee:

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
****, sorry HNG :/ I just applied my primer and I totally forgot about the video. Next one I make I'll be sure to do it.

Right now I'm just getting pictures to hopefully help you.

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Well, right now I just bought a tri-winged screwdriver off ebay.

I have some primer that I bought a few months back but it is grey. Would it be okay to spray grey primer on instead of the usual white?

Edit: It's okay Cloud ^^

Glad you took some photo's though =P

Campii

Smash Rookie
i think i'll give this a try, i have one controller that has a sticky Z key. The button doesn't feel broken, just gummed up. When i take the controller apart to paint it, will i also be able to get at the Z button and clean it?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
i think i'll give this a try, i have one controller that has a sticky Z key. The button doesn't feel broken, just gummed up. When i take the controller apart to paint it, will i also be able to get at the Z button and clean it?
Yes you will be able to. The controller, when disassembled, represents one of those old toddler toys that you have to fit a square into a square, and etc. Everything comes apart with ease :)

If you wanted to clean it without actually taking it apart, you can get a damp toothbrush and scrub around the button, and dry it with a cloth.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
might as well clean the whole thing.

more importantly, the z button can get dirt in between the metal flap thing. you should def take it apart.

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
So my buttons are painted and my controller is already clear coated. Unfortunately the buttons are quite sticky. What can I do? I think its the controller and not the buttons.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
When did you assemble it? I had this problem when I first assembled mine because it was too early.

What brand of clearcoat did you use as well?

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
I used Valspar clear gloss and I haven't completely assembled it yet. I noticed the buttons sticking when I was checking to see if they would still fit.

Shök

Smash Champion
When I painted my buttons, I sanded mine down. I did nothing to the controller's walls for it.

For my first controller, it was perfectly fine because I actually followed directions on the can in terms of distances sprayed.

I went through about 2 sets of buttons for the second one because I didn't follow the rules. If I learned anything from spraying buttons, it's this:
  • Sand the buttons. Don't do anything serious though.
  • Spray a LIGHT coat.
  • Spray at the distance it says on the can.
  • If you care about the rubbers, immediately clean it off after the time to be handled has passed. Since it's paint on rubber, it should come off fairly easily.
  • Reassemble the controller about 3 days after, making sure the clear coat has dried.
Thanks for the information Cloud.

Maybe someone should make a tutorial while showing us how the process of the painting and everything else is.. =)
OOOOooooo ideas now... I wouldn't mind making one.

*plans*
Add to first post? Yus, yus? o:

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, go for it.

I've actually been behind on UTDZac's controller. But I'll update you all with it later. Don't want to give specifics away, less he finds out what kind of design he's getting :D

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, go for it.

I've actually been behind on UTDZac's controller. But I'll update you all with it later. Don't want to give specifics away, less he finds out what kind of design he's getting :D

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Botched up a paint job on the controller. Anyone know of any way to get spray paint off a controller or a solvent?

EDIT: Seems acetone will work. Will try and update later.

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
I like Tesserex's controller. I'm too much of a wuss to spray paint mine though. xD

Uber sweet guide btw. ^^

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I have a pretty awesome Falcon emblem on mine, but I'm about to go to a tourney and it needs some more clear coating so I'll wait on posting pics
In the meantime though, I took apart a couple other controllers to swap buttons and junk between them, and now I can't find the little metal clip thing that connects the L and R buttons to the black pump thing ... does anyone know what it's called / if I can order more of them? :(
It looks like a rectangular U with 2 things that stick in on the open part if that makes sense

Ahh ascii art fail
Sigh :(

*Edit*
O hah, turns out I was just trying to put it in backwards. Whoops *feels *********
Pics eventually

Campii

Smash Rookie

Feels great and works great, however, i initially put a really thick coat of clear coat on, which made the beautiful paint job wrinkle =(. I sanded the wrinkles down, re-sprayed it, and then did many, very light coats of clear coat, and it worked. you might be able too see the places i messed up on near the start button, but it doesn't bother me at all, and for a first attempt, i'm pleased =D

Top Bottom