• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

SuperCoffeeBros

The Better, Faster, Cheaper Custom Controller
I have an artsy sort of question considering I have no idea about how spraypaint works. How could I get a lightning sort of effect on my controller?

I was thinking paint it all blue lightning colored, let it dry, then spraypaint white or black over that and "cut" a lightning effect out of the fresh layer to reveal the blue, like a scratchboard. Would this work, or is there an easier way? Please help
Lightning can be a bit tough. Stenciling is probably the way to go, it would probably be pretty elaborate though. You could also put a decal on it, but that can be a hassle as well (you need several different supplies. Many people that paint lightning are experienced with an airbrush (check out youtube for airbrushed lightning effects it is pretty cool).

Genbu

Smash Rookie
I frickin messed up painting my controller, so i asked my friend to sand it for me but he didnt wash it so there's bits of dust under the paint. Should i sand it again?

SuperCoffeeBros

The Better, Faster, Cheaper Custom Controller
I frickin messed up painting my controller, so i asked my friend to sand it for me but he didnt wash it so there's bits of dust under the paint. Should i sand it again?
Are you sure it is dust? Maybe you can post a picture? Depending on what it is you would handle it different ways. Most likely you should sand it down though.

Maybe it is orange peel or solvent bubbles?

NaClJeff

Smash Rookie
IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure the paint you're using does NOT have primer in it as well, its thicker and will mmake so your buttons don't work.

Genbu

Smash Rookie
Are you sure it is dust? Maybe you can post a picture? Depending on what it is you would handle it different ways. Most likely you should sand it down though.

Maybe it is orange peel or solvent bubbles?
Found out what it was, orange bubbles lol. I just scrapped off the paint and redid it.

KamiStriker

Smash Journeyman
Hii, I made a video tutorial that follows this guide for the most part, with a few modifications and extra bits. Also includes how I paint designs onto the controllers. When I was searching for guides this was all I could find, and no videos were available so after following this I began doing them for a few people in my local scene and thought I'd share how I paint them as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fxY74I1Bg

Hope this helps some people out that prefer to learn through watching rather than reading! (:

I may make a new video in the future that's a lot shorter and more condensed if this one becomes popular enough, since this one had a few mistakes during the process, but for now I hope this helps.

Example of my work so far:
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc358/KamiStriker/final product_zpsphmz48go.png
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc358/KamiStriker/pikacontroller_zpsqanrfxu4.png

I find spray painting does make them slightly sticker depending on the amount of layers, so I'm trying to keep it down to 2-3 coats, and then 2 cleat coats. Dust sticks to them easily but also comes off just as easy.

Last edited:

SSS

Smash Ace
How would you guys recommend painting both of the like "button holding" parts of the controller separate colors? Would you say tape over them, paint the whole controller your color, wait for it to dry for a day, then tape the whole controller except one of the sides, paint that, wait for it to dry for a day, then tape the whole controller except the other side, paint that side?

Nimyu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-6319-0143
Is it possible to paint the Control Stick or C Stick?

Do the glossy Krylon Paint and Primer work as a primer for other spray paints of the same brand?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eternal Blue Syaoran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueEternal
Does anyone know if it is possible to paint over the clear coat and have it stay on? I want my controller to be a main color, then I want to add a few little details but I lack the tools to do the details yet. I was thinking of doing my clear coat then adding the details later, but I worry about the additional paint not staying.
So my question is.. can you paint or add stuff over clear coat? If so what kind of paint would be best?

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
It's highly not recommended to paint your designs over clear coat. The purpose of the clear is to protect the colors underneath from premature wear (rubbing off, nicks in the paint from bumps and scratches, etc). That said, if you do paint over clear that has fully cured, it would work, it just isn't ideal because it would basically be as if you had just painted the designs on top of your base coat and not done any clear at all.

SSS

Smash Ace
1. I have Krylon spray paint, that says it's Primer + Paint, do I still need primer?

2. I have 3 separate colors going on, how would I do that? Do the base color, let it dry, tape it off, do the next color, let it dry, tape it off, do the next color? Then Clear Coat all at once?

mini_

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0860-3437-4087
Hey, I was maybe looking to mod my GameCube controller too, but will the paint hold on if I still use the controller to game?
And is there some sort of good spray paint that I can use that gives a mat finish?
And another question, I saw a tutorial today and the guy suggested 600 sandpaper. Will 400 be fine too?

Thanks if anyone can answer :)

GeZ

Smash Lord
I have a design I want to put on, which is very small, too fine to be a stencil, so me and my artist friend are kicking around ideas. Does anyone have a way they've got relatively detailed designs, painted on, or in any fashion that is flush to the controller? I don't want to use a sticker. Just not feeling that.

I think I figured out how to get a symbol on their anyway, but now I was wondering if anyone has sanded the shell of one of the Smash 4 Wii U gamecube controllers? I started sanding it but I'm not sure if it's painted plastic or just colored plastic. help?

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
A note I'd like to make, if you have an ace hardware in your area, Krylon paint is only 6 bucks there. sandpaper even cheaper. I'd go there for your controller customization needs, as everything is pretty cheap at Ace

I really want to paint my Wii U pro controller. Can anyone please help??!! I don't know how much of this applies to the Pro Controller..
Its the same exact concept. Infact, I think they both need the same screwdriver or at least screwdriver family. Pro controllers have a glossy paint finish, but they are still plastic.
I have a design I want to put on, which is very small, too fine to be a stencil, so me and my artist friend are kicking around ideas. Does anyone have a way they've got relatively detailed designs, painted on, or in any fashion that is flush to the controller? I don't want to use a sticker. Just not feeling that.
Draw the design out on a piece of paper. Place that paper onto a cutting board, put painters tape over it, and then cut out the design with an exacto-knife very carefully. It should still be able to be stenciled. I have seen some amazingly intracite drawings stenciled before like this.
I think I figured out how to get a symbol on their anyway, but now I was wondering if anyone has sanded the shell of one of the Smash 4 Wii U gamecube controllers? I started sanding it but I'm not sure if it's painted plastic or just colored plastic. help?
I don't own one, but I'm almost certain its paint. If you've ever held bare plastic before, it feels nothing like a video game controller. My guess is its paint with a glossy finish.

Draw the design out on a piece of paper. Place that paper onto a cutting board, put painters tape over it, and then cut out the design with an exacto-knife very carefully. It should still be able to be stenciled. I have seen some amazingly intracite drawings stenciled before like this.

I don't own one, but I'm almost certain its paint. If you've ever held bare plastic before, it feels nothing like a video game controller. My guess is its paint with a glossy finish.

Mr Waga Flaga

Smash Rookie
Ok, so i found color changing LEDs - http://www.ebay.com/itm/181603944484 (using 2+) and the correct resistors (I think, if someone could double check for me that'd be really helpful), but im confused by the directions where it states to "make a loop in the leg of the resistor, and you're going to solder both ends to the loop." I would like for them to be always on, but i could stand taking the easier route of having them work with the rumble only.

My Resistors Based on Calc.
Supply Voltage: 5v
Voltage Drop Across LED: 3v-3.4v
Desired LED Current: 20 mA
How Many LEDs Connected: 2+
Resistor(s): 82-120 Ohms

[edit]

I think i have a good understanding of what the directions are implying now but still confused about the loop part. My understanding is that you cut the yellow wire in half and solder both ends to the positive end on the resistor, then soldering the positive end of the led to the negative end of the resistor, putting any other wanted LEDs in parallel with the first LED. Then you cut the black wire in half, soldering both points to the negative end of the first LED. Someone please let me know if this is right before i go through with it. Thanks!

[edit]

A MIOM post describes the process with pictures and is a little easier to follow, here is the link http://www.meleeitonme.com/modding-your-controller-with-leds/

Last edited:

ToonKake

So Animated
NNID
ToOn_Cake
A Guide To Re-Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

Guide by Shök, YES!, and RelaxImAProfessional
Guide Editing, Picture Compiling, and Guide Inspiring by Shök and RelaxImAProfessional
L.E.D Guide by Yeroc
Guide Compiled by Shök

Last Updated: April 17, 2012

Everyone, don't let Nintendo force you into color-communism. Customize and...taste the RAINBOW!

Read First:

- This process can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or so once you have the tools. This is, pretty much, really easy to do and straight forward. Once you are good, it could takes 20 minutes to open, sand, and paint a controller. Then you just let it set somewhere to dry. You pretty much have to wait a day for them to dry correctly before use. I would highly recommend you just use a different controller for a week. How long it takes before you can use your controller again depends a lot on how good you painted it, the paint you used, etc. Since Smash is an aggressive game, just try to wait for more then a day.

- A new addition to the guide provides the procedure on how to insert L.E.D lights into your controllers.

1. It DOES NOT show how to deal with wavebirds since they are usually banned unless the tourney is small. Wavebirds are banned because of frequency issues.

2. It DOES NOT show how to mod controller’s functionality.

3. It DOES NOT guide you in how to solder, cut out, or replace parts because tournament directors might ban it since replacing parts can alter controller functionality.

What You Will Need:
Tournaments do allow cosmetically modified controllers but that's the extent of it.

1. Tri-Wing Screwdriver- For opening the controller, someone suggested a flathead with some pressure. I, personally, would use a "Tri-wing Screwdriver" because it's a specific fit to the screw. You can find one on eBay or Playasia for about $6.00 including shipping and handling. It also opens other Nintendo products, so it's not a complete waste. I just used it for my controller and I’m 100% satisfied with it.

2. Sandpaper - Just find the finest grit that you can. Something that will take the paint off your controller. When going to buy sandpaper you might want to take your controller with you and ask someone what kind of sandpaper they have that will take the paint off of it.

3.Primer - Primer comes in a spray can just like spray paint. This goes on right before the spray paint. Primer is an adhesion to help the paint stick and not run.

4. Spray-paint color of choice for plastics or regular spray paint- I believe someone said that spray paint will make your controller stickier. I don't agree. It usually depends on how many layers of paint and clear coat you apply. The rough-ness or smoth-ness depends on that.

5. Clear Coat - This goes on after the paint. It is coating for the paint. It keeps your controller smooth and protected.

The Process:

1. Open controller with your Tri-Wing Screwdriver and remove innards carefully. Remember how the put it back together. Don't worry. Putting the controller back together is very simple and straight forward.

A note from Yes! - about the use of a flathead screwdriver. i don't have experience with this, but apparently, some people have had great success. that's great! but...please be careful if this causes any stripping of the screw. if the screwdriver is turning the screw but causes any damage, be careful.. i personally have opened up my controller a fair amount of times for maintenance and cleaning. if for every time, i had stripped the screw a little bit, i would have destroyed it...so don't hesitate on spending a mere $6 for a tri-wing screwdriver. BUT, if the flathead truly does work without a hitch, power to you!

A note from Relaximaprofessional - I got my triwing screwdriver from ebay, about 5 bucks including shipping.

A note from Shök - I got my Tri-Wing from Playasia. I highly recommend buying one. It's cheap and it's definitely worth it.

2. Wash the shell. Make sure to get all the grime and dirt from the sides.

3. Dry it. (Towel, blow-dryer, air-dry, whatever works).

4. Sand down the entire surface lightly with 600 grit sandpaper. (You could also use the highest grit you can find) When you start to sand the bare controller, (with very fine sandpaper, 600 grit should work), the plastic will turn opaque. Slightly white and that should be enough. Nothing too serious.

5. Apply Primer. 1 or 2 good coats chould be enough. You don't have to sand the primer. The nature of the primer itself should allow enough adhesion to the color paint. Let the primer dry according the can's instructions.

6. Apply spray-paint color of choice. 3-4 coats should be enough. When painting the controller, you'll find that it's difficult to get the area between the 2 pods that house the C-stick and D-pad. Don't be tempted to spray those areas without keeping constant motion of the can. Just try an up-down motion, then some diagonal motions. You'll get it.

7. Let the paint dry according the can's instructions.

8. Start applying your clear coat the same way you did with your color. 4 coats should be enough. The more coats you apply, the smoother it will turn out.

9. Fight off your temptation and let the sucker completely dry. About one whole day of drying should be enough.

10. Reassemble. Enjoy.

Some Quick Spray painting Tips:

1. Start and stop spraying away from the controller. The initial sprays tend to shoot out large droplets, something that you don't want. You want a nice, even spray so everything is nice and smooth.

2. Practice your pressure and motion on newspaper to get the hang of things.

3. Keep a constant speed and motion when you spray the controller.

4. Do NOT be tempted to go back and forth with one spray. Some people can do this, but it is suggested that you do everything in small spurts of single passes.

5. Make sure you have good lighting so that you can see where you haven't covered with color yet.

6. Do NOT reassemble until 24 hours after your final layer of clear coat. RESIST all temptation.

Other Important Info. To Know When Painting:

1. I recommend a facemask, in case you breathe in paint particles, lots of newspaper, and a pair of steady hands.

2. All the supplies should not cost you that much. Personally, I think the cost and the effort was all worth it, because, in the end, my controller is very noticeable in a crowd of original colors. It does, however, put more pressure on you to perform well because people see your elite controller and expect you to be just as elite. :p

3. There are dyes available that bond to the plastic. This can be good since you won't have to worry about chipping, applying primer, or sanding your controller. Painting this controller is essentially like painting a computer case/mouse and there are several guides out there. You can skim those so that you are more confident going into this.

4. There is a brand called "Krylon" which is the most expensive and probably the best paint out there. I don't think you need to dish out the extra cash, though, since you will be covering everything will clear coat.

Button Painting And Plug Painting:

From RelaxImAProfessional- Along with coloring my controller, I painted my buttons too. I painted the A, B, and Z buttons white, and left X, Y, R, L buttons grey. It came out oh so nice. BUT, my arch nemesis, friction, eventually reared his ugly head and the original plastic is showing through the sides of my A and B buttons because of the intense rubbing against the shell. Oh well, I can go back and paint it. If you choose to do it as did and paint your buttons, I suggest 2 LIGHT coats of primer, 2 coats of color, 3 LIGHT coats of clear coat. I say light because you don't want the primer+color+clear getting so thick that it no longer slides in the hole easily.

Also, if you've gone this far, might as well do the controller plug too! Use masking tape to cover the silver part, use masking tape to cover the cord as close as you can to the plug. Then put the controller with the remaining unexposed cord into a plastic grocery bag for protection. Follow the same steps to color the plug.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

.:A Guide To Inserting L.E.D Lights Into Your Controller:.
Guide by Yeroc.

This is a new addition to the guide. It's a procedure that shows you how to insert L.E.D lights into your controller. Any questions about this procedure should go to Yeroc.

If you're dead set on painting buttons, be prepared to sand out the walls a good bit because they really do chip a lot otherwise. It's been probably close to 10 months now since I painted my controller and the buttons still look rather nice. One small green spot on A, some small slivers of primer showing through, and that's it. There was more damage done to the paint by the oils on my fingers than by pushing the buttons.

I also don't recommend trying to paint C-sticks unless you either have a paint that really bonds to the rubber tip or you take the tip off completely.

Here we are.

~~::Guide To Adding L.E.Ds To A Gamecube Controller::~~

Adding LEDs to a Gamecube controller circuit is a fairly straightforward mod for anyone with any electronics and/or soldering experience. ***DISCLAIMER*** I accept no responsibility for damage to persons or property from attempting to use the information in this guide. Use this information at your own risk.*** That said, only a few simple tools are needed for this project, and they are:

- Triwing or 2mm flathead screwdriver
- Low power Soldering Iron (15-25W)
- 60/40 rosin core electronics solder
- LEDs
- Resistors (more on these later)
- Hookup wire (22 gauge or higher ideally)
- Basic soldering and electronics knowledge (how to solder, what series/parallel are, what basic components do)

There are two* ways to wire the LEDs into the controller, depending on how you want them to act in the finished product. We're going to be using the power supply for the rumble motor for this, so Wavebird owners, you're outta luck. You wouldn't want to be running LEDs off of AA batteries anyhow. Now this is a curious, but understandable, quirk in the controller's design: The rumble motor is powered by a separate source from the data processors of the rest of the controller. Yet the distribution of power is actually controlled by the other source. This presents us with an interesting range of possibilities for this mod, with or without normal rumble motor functionality. The possible wiring arrangements are:

- Always on (in parallel with rumble circuit)
- Flashing (in parallel with or in place of rumble motor itself)

* There's actually a third way to do it, but it's not compatible with either of the other two ways, disables the rumble, and has special conditions regarding the circumstances of it's functionality. It was the first mode I found when putting LEDs in controllers, but I find either of the others or a conjunction of the two to be superior to this one. I will include a small note about it at the end.
Part One: Opening the Controller

I'm going to assume that you already understand the basics of electronics wiring, including how to solder, so we can get onto the actual installation procedures. This portion is common to all modes. The first thing we must do is open the gamecube controller, just like you would for painting it. Turn it face down and remove the back half of the controller using a triwing or 2mm flathead (and a little patience), and set it aside for now. Carefully pull the turn of the cord off of its post and lift the circuit board from the front shell of the controller. You'll notice, among other things, two particular runs of wire. These are the six wires that compose the controller cord, and also the two wires that connect the rumble motor to the circuit board, and it is these two areas that we will be focusing on. The different configurations will involve making connections to one of these two places.

Always-On Mode

This mode piggybacks the LEDs on the rumble supply voltage, and runs it in parallel. Using this mode, your LEDs will be lit whenever your controller is plugged into a powered on system (even a Wii on standby).

Take a look at the base of the controller cord, where the six wires are soldered to the board. This assembly is called a header, and in this header you will find a blue, yellow, red, green, white, and black wire. The wires we're interested in are the yellow one (the voltage supply) and the black one (ground).

For this mode, we're going to need a resistor in the LED circuit path. This is because LEDs are current driven devices. Without a resistance in series with them, basically they like to explode. Now, not everyone is going to want to configure their controllers the same way (and not all colors of LEDs have the same voltage rating) so I'd recommend visiting http://ledcalc.com/#calc. I like this site because it has many modes and even suggests some typical voltage ratings of different colored LEDs if you don't know or aren't sure of what you're going to be using.

Once you find your resistance values and have obtained your resistor(s) and LED(s), you can get started tying them into the controller circuit. We're going to run the resistor in parallel with the path of the yellow wire (if you decide to use multiple resistors, they'll all be in parallel with each other. Follow the diagram given to you on the LED site). You're going to cut the yellow wire in about half, and strip off some ends to work with. make a loop in the leg of the resistor, and you're going to solder both ends to the loop.

You now have a resistor sticking off of your yellow wire, and from here it's your discretion as to how you want to array your LEDs. I'll use a single LED as an example here. You'll be using hookup wire to make runs to other parts of the controller if you're looking to do that. Look for information on basic wiring and/or practice soldering runs of wire together in different patterns until you're sure you know what you're doing.

In our example, we're only using one LED, so the only thing to do is solder the positive end (the long leg) of the LED to the free end of the resistor. You can trim it if you need to, just be sure you know how to tell the ends apart. LEDs only work one way. Solder the positive leg of the LED to the end of the resistor, and then we're going to connect the other end of the LED (or another bit of wire solder onto it) to the black wire in the same way we did with the resistor. Cut the black wire in half, get some stripped ends, and connect all three of your parts together. To test your circuit, just plug your controller into a Gamecube or Wii and turn it on. If the LED lights up, good job. If not, check to see if the LED is still good, or if you wired it the wrong way.

If you're planning on doing more complicated LED runs, remember to research wiring practices and techniques. I can't go through and give a detailed explanation for every possible combination, because there is, literally, an infinite number of possibilities.

Flashing Mode

If you like the idea of LEDs flashing when your controller rumbles, like I do, then this is the method you want to use.

You're going to wire your LEDs to the contact points on the bottom of the controller near the D-pad, where the wires for the actual motor are attached. You can do this in two ways: you can replace the motor with your LEDs, or you can wire them all in parallel together.

This method is much easier than the other. You may not even need a resistor for this part. Good electronics practices would dictate using one, but I personally haven't had any problems without one in this area. Basically, you're going to take your resistor-LED assembly and hook it up to the positive and negative solder pads across the rumble motor. The pads are labeled, so it's easy. The same rules apply here as did to the other mode, so rereading them should help. Once you connect your resistor to the positive pad, and the positive end of you LED to the resistor, connect the other end of the LED to the negative pad and you're all set.

Hybrid Mode

There was a weird phenomenon I discovered several years ago when trying to figure out how to add LEDs to controllers for the first time. I was rather inexperience with electronics, but my friend and I managed to wire up a working configuration by putting an LED directly in series with the rumble circuit. Basically you cut the yellow wire and attach those ends to the positive and negative ends of an LED. I used a blue LED, which has a higher voltage rating, and was able to withstand this. Don't try it with a red or green LED. Now, I don't know why it even worked in the first place, unless as I suspect there's a buffer (resistance) on the front end of the rumble circuit. Anyway, the LED worked, functioned like this: The LED would come on when the controller rumbled, but due to the voltage drop across the LED, the motor wouldn't turn anymore. No biggie for me. Here's the strange bit. When first turning on the system and entering the game, the first rumble would cause the LED to come on and stay on, albeit dimmer than when it rumbled. And it would continue to stay on, and brighten upon rumbling, for an indistinct period of time. In Melee, it was for the first game played. And only the first game. I don't know why. Afterwards, the LED would go off and only light up on rumble. But you could always reset it by going to the rumble menu and turning the rumble off and back on, and the game would light up the LED again. Confusing, I know. I don't recommend trying this, as the other two methods are much more simpler and convenient, and also less finicky. But I thought I'd mention it for those of you who were curious.

That's it for my guide. I hope it helps any of you interested in figuring out how to put those LEDs into your controllers, as it's just about the coolest thing you could do to one. There are many possibilities for adding LEDs to your controllers. Depending on your knowledge and experience level, just about anything is possible. Have fun exploring the world of electronic illumination, and make those controllers shine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Painted Controllers
Now for some results of members from SWF. Thanks to all of the Members of SWF for posting their results. Keep 'em coming, guys. ;)

[collapse=Controllers]Yeroc

zKillah

videokilledtheradiostar

todd888

redstone

joejoe22802

acez

WIGI

Voodoo

TheKneeOfJustice

The-Guy

TheMadHatter

Seison

Rocky

Tesserex

Redd

SpecialED

RedShirtKRT

Sliq

Sizzle

RandomLax

Popcornio

Mitzuko

G-Ron

Flamestar666

Fizzi

DP’s Mario

5ive

2 Percent

[/SPOILER][/collapse]

Frequently Asked Questions

- Q: How long do you dry your controller? Does the paint tell you or does the controller surface require more or less time to dry?

A: The spray-paint can should give you specific instructions for drying. They suggest applying additional layers either within the hour or after 24 hours. I don't understand why the times are so different, but maybe it has to do with how the paint cures (dries). The Nintendo controller plastic isn't anything special, so you can treat it just like any other plastic. Actually, to be honest, I started applying 1-2 hours after each coat because I couldn't stand to wait. My paint job doesn't have a scratch on it till this day.

- Q: My paint job was ruined when I applied clear coat. “Wrinkles” started appearing as soon as I started applying clear coat. Why did this happen and how can I avoid this from happening again?

A: This usually happens due to the lack of distance between the cleat coat can and the controller when spraying. You need to apply clear coat in distance recommended in the can. If you clear coat too close to the controller, your paint job will be saturated in clear coat, which causes the wrinkles to appear.

Dang i really wana custom controller soo bad like ill buy one lol i swear ur issh looks DOPE !

Shök

Smash Champion
A MIOM post describes the process with pictures and is a little easier to follow, here is the link http://www.meleeitonme.com/modding-your-controller-with-leds/
I already spoke to Leah and I'm definitely going to be adding her guide to this as well.

Dang i really wana custom controller soo bad like ill buy one lol i swear ur issh looks DOPE !
Thanks!

Anyone have an idea on where I could move this thread to? Just noticed it's still in the Brawl area.

Going to be working on fixing and updating on the first post.

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
What would the best way to put a graphic on the controller? I want the Ice Climbers eggplant/logo in the area where the Smash Ball is on the new controllers.

Crystatic

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I used a decent paint, but not automotive grade. Can I get around the stickyness issue by using automotive grade clear coat?

Crystatic

Smash Rookie

Reassembled 3-4 hours after the final clear coat, but wont be using it until tomorrow. Reassembly didn't seem to hurt it.

aVerySneakyBox

Smash Rookie
NNID
boxxku
3DS FC
0001-3530-7749
Hi, guys! i've been stalking these forums for a while and just made my account today , sorry! :U

EDIT1: I messed up the stencils 3 times and ended up sanding furiously. I cut them perfectly but when I comes to the painting they end up bleeding through the sides ... in the end I just bought some sticker paper and decided to leave one white and paint the other one blue then cut out the designs with a xacto knife and scissors. The bottom is themed with my secondary pikachu, while the top shell is themed for my link main with the triforce, navi, and 2 rupees and 2 hearts around the dpad.

I painted all the buttons and sticks white except the triggers and I also painted the plug part blue. I restored my old purple controller and made it into this, replacing the stick with one from a wii and for the c stick I bought some silicone putty and just put layers of paint around it.

For my first custom controller i'm happy about it :)

Last edited:

Tradermon

Smash Rookie

aVerySneakyBox

Smash Rookie
NNID
boxxku
3DS FC
0001-3530-7749
Buy a decal online, or try to paint it yourself (highly not recommended)
Agreed or you can do what I did and buy sticker paper ( I bought mine for 39 pesos which is like 1 dollar but at wal-mart I think the lowest is $6.) and cut out a design or print out an image like that yoshi egg and just cut around it.

GreenThunder101

Smash Rookie
Agreed or you can do what I did and buy sticker paper ( I bought mine for 39 pesos which is like 1 dollar but at wal-mart I think the lowest is $6.) and cut out a design or print out an image like that yoshi egg and just cut around it.
Could you link me to some kind of website (like Walmart) that has sticker paper? I'm not sure what "sticker paper" is.

aVerySneakyBox

Smash Rookie
NNID
boxxku
3DS FC
0001-3530-7749
Could you link me to some kind of website (like Walmart) that has sticker paper? I'm not sure what "sticker paper" is.
http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Sticker...qid=1453696265&sr=8-13&keywords=sticker+paper
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=sticker+paper
http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Shippin...qid=1453696265&sr=8-14&keywords=sticker+paper
This is what i'm talking about

Might want to be careful if you add a clear coat cause on mine , the blue paint kinda bleeds through on the edges

My phone camera sucks, but if you look at it in person you can see what im talking about.

Last edited:

Tradermon

Smash Rookie
So for some reason, the paints starting to come off of my gold controller D: I'm really upset about this but I don't know why it's coming off. I used metallic gold paint, 2 coats of primer, and a ton of krylon clear coat.
http://imgur.com/UkzdjNG

GreenThunder101

Smash Rookie
I had SERIOUSLY messed up applying the primer. (There's smudging everywhere, forgot to clean it before priming, etc.)

How do I take the primer off and start over? Hopefully sanding it again works.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Wish it were a little more red on top, and I'd like to add in the Gerudo symbol up top, but I call this a success for my first time! Thanks so much for the guide, Shök Shök !

Used Valspar brand Primer+Paint and High Gloss Clear Coat

Last edited:

GreenThunder101

Smash Rookie
Well, I tried doing this. And here's how it went:

First I sanded the controller with 320 grit, and then I put this Rust-Oleum primer on:
and waited for it to dry.

And here's where the problems start.
My plan was to color the the sections that hold the buttons, DPad, control stick and C-Stick red. SO, I duct taped all the parts I didn't want being painted because I was going to paint them another color. Then put on three coats of red Rust-Oleum spray paint,( BTW everything I use here will be Rust-Oleum except the clear coat(which is Krylon)) and then waited for it to dry. But, to my absolute horror, when I took off the duct tape, the paint had somehow gotten through the tape into the parts of the controller I didn't want them to get through. So then I try to sand those parts off with the sandpaper. But the controller was putting up a huge fight and I couldn't get it to come off. So I decided I would just paint the entire top red, and I put on my first coat after resanding. Although, from my terrible sanding attempt earlier, there were very noticeable bumps left on the controller. So I tried to re-sand it, but it was even harder to get off then before. I then tried to scrape the paint off with an X-acto Knife, which was actually working, but would take too long and still wouldn't come off correctly. I then left in a bucket of soap and water for 24 hours, but nothing happened. I'm not sure what exactly to do at this point. Here's what it looks like now:

Help would be VERY appreciated! And also, thanks for the sticker paper links, aVerySneakyBox aVerySneakyBox Those were very helpful.

EDIT: Messed up the BBCodes. Now fixed.

Last edited:

aVerySneakyBox

Smash Rookie
NNID
boxxku
3DS FC
0001-3530-7749
Well, I tried doing this. And here's how it went:

First I sanded the controller with 320 grit, and then I put this Rust-Oleum primer on:
and waited for it to dry.

And here's where the problems start.
My plan was to color the the sections that hold the buttons, DPad, control stick and C-Stick red. SO, I duct taped all the parts I didn't want being painted because I was going to paint them another color. Then put on three coats of red Rust-Oleum spray paint,( BTW everything I use here will be Rust-Oleum except the clear coat(which is Krylon)) and then waited for it to dry. But, to my absolute horror, when I took off the duct tape, the paint had somehow gotten through the tape into the parts of the controller I didn't want them to get through. So then I try to sand those parts off with the sandpaper. But the controller was putting up a huge fight and I couldn't get it to come off. So I decided I would just paint the entire top red, and I put on my first coat after resanding. Although, from my terrible sanding attempt earlier, there were very noticeable bumps left on the controller. So I tried to re-sand it, but it was even harder to get off then before. I then tried to scrape the paint off with an X-acto Knife, which was actually working, but would take too long and still wouldn't come off correctly. I then left in a bucket of soap and water for 24 hours, but nothing happened. I'm not sure what exactly to do at this point. Here's what it looks like now:

Help would be VERY appreciated! And also, thanks for the sticker paper links, aVerySneakyBox aVerySneakyBox Those were very helpful.

EDIT: Messed up the BBCodes. Now fixed.

Hey there! I had the exact same problem with the masking part which is why I went with painting both shells then applying the sticker paper. You should try cleaning off the paint with acetone then sand the entire controller again . I'm working on another controller, but this time i'm going to try using a tablet sized screen protector (for cutting out the templates similar to what this guy is doing at 5:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fxY74I1Bg except he used a self adhesive book cover )to hopefully prevent the paint from bleeding inside. I'm also gona do the same technique for apply the emblem.)

Try 80 gritt?

So for some reason, the paints starting to come off of my gold controller D: I'm really upset about this but I don't know why it's coming off. I used metallic gold paint, 2 coats of primer, and a ton of krylon clear coat.
http://imgur.com/UkzdjNG
Did you sand and clean the controller first before applying the primer?

Last edited:
Top Bottom