• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW falco match-up thread, MK time, week 2.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
G&W's moveset is just silly, in all seriousness. And it confuses the typical player who doesn't study the metagame. but since I'm picking him up as an alt, I suppose I can kill two birds with one stone with this thread.

Teching the downthrow for sure. You'll be punished everytime if you don't learn to do that. Aerial entries work against my friend's G&W most of the time. When I figure out more, I'll add it to the thread. All I've got right now. =/

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
G&W has every follow up for a failed Dthrow tech covered. If you roll left or right he will just grab you again. He could also immediately dsmash. Standing up isn't encouraged and get-up attacks are shield grabbed.

If you get caught in a grab chain, mix it up. Roll left, then right, right again, then stand up. Don't have a pattern.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
g&a doesn't have any good grab reach at all, even if he jab cancels there is still a chance to avoid it with a spot dodge.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
65:35 for GaW imo.

And I'm quite sure that GaW can regrab Falco with a dashgrab

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
g&a really have to grab in order to win, but a grab on falco at high %s is a kill pretty much. timing to tech would take a lot of practice and it gets harder the higher your % is so who knows when to roll when g&a anyways.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Besides gaW has many options after his dthrow. He can use fsmash, dtilt or fsmash and I don't think Falco can roll out of a fsmash...

§witch

Smash Lord
If he couldn't why wouldn't they only use dsmash? Dsmash is faster and has just as much range. Teching it doesn't get harder at higher %s. And once you get the timing down it isn't hard at all.

Neb

Smash Lord
Yeah, G&W can re-grab out of a tech-chase, or run away/shield if you wake-up attack, then scurry back and re-grab again during the animation lag, though he could easily throw out any of his other moves instead, free hit. I'm sure you guys know the penalties for not teching, but anyway, your best route against a smart G&W is to mix-up your dthrow retreats, a lot.

Don't be predictable cause you'll get spanked for it. Haven't tested this or anything, but its an idea- Tech the dthrow but don't roll, then quickly Phantasm in a safe direction, he probably won't be expecting it. Or tech (don't roll), then whip out your reflector. If it works, don't spam it, G&W could catch-on and shield, then swat you with punishment.

From my own experience, the reflector is incredibly annoying in this match-up. It has lots of range, but a bit of lag. Don't abuse it, but its nice to pitch it out there when bair and dtilt gets predictable.

Hope that helps, guys. :)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Oh and he can get Footstool Combo'd as shown on a video by Tommy_G.
I tried this on Hylian's G&W, but he just upB'd out before I could footstool him. :ohwell:

Eh, might as well throw something else out while I'm here.

Don't let him get underneath you. His upB/nair will eat through anything you try to counter with, and nair lasts long enough to hit you even if you airdodge. Hylian likes to upB through stages that you can do so on (delfino/Hylian cruise), and even if you block it the dair afterwards is pretty much unpunishable.

Bait the bucket, especially at high percents. Only shoot one laser at a time, and when they bucket throw out a phantasm. That'll set up for an uair/airdodge baited uair-bair for the stock finish.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Yeah, G&W can re-grab out of a tech-chase, or run away/shield if you wake-up attack, then scurry back and re-grab again during the animation lag, though he could easily throw out any of his other moves instead, free hit. I'm sure you guys know the penalties for not teching, but anyway, your best route against a smart G&W is to mix-up your dthrow retreats, a lot.

Don't be predictable cause you'll get spanked for it. Haven't tested this or anything, but its an idea- Tech the dthrow but don't roll, then quickly Phantasm in a safe direction, he probably won't be expecting it. Or tech (don't roll), then whip out your reflector. If it works, don't spam it, G&W could catch-on and shield, then swat you with punishment.

From my own experience, the reflector is incredibly annoying in this match-up. It has lots of range, but a bit of lag. Don't abuse it, but its nice to pitch it out there when bair and dtilt gets predictable.

Hope that helps, guys. :)
So this is the second its been mentioned, but I'm pretty sure you can't just tech G&W's D-throw since it forces you to lay down. I think your only option is to tech roll. Don't forget that you can choose which side of G&W you land on.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
save save save save your upsmash against any light character, like GW. meaning the only time ur using upsmash is when they are above like 120

Neb

Smash Lord
So this is the second its been mentioned, but I'm pretty sure you can't just tech G&W's D-throw since it forces you to lay down. I think your only option is to tech roll. Don't forget that you can choose which side of G&W you land on.
Nah, you can. Just tech and don't move, your thinking Snake. While he lays you down, G&W throws you down, which gives you the option of teching it.

person701

Smash Journeyman
So let's see here, what does Falco have on G&W.

-Few ranged attacks that beat G&W's
-Laser tricking baiting
-Reflector

What G&W has on Falco's:

-****ing annoying air moves
-The dreaded bucket v.v
-Forceful approach
-A wicked D-throw

The odds are definatly on G&W favor. 70-30 G&W IMO. Now if we look at this from the start of a match this is how I'd see it (on FD): Falco can't start his usual lasering cause of the bucket, but he can start laser tricks. The G&W would start pressure, Falco'd be forced to start moving in. At this point, it's a matter of finding small holes to punish. The D-throw from G&W would end bad most of the time, but unpredictability would assist a tad. Can Falco CG G&W? I forgot >.<

To me, looks as if Falco has to start strong and stay strong. If not, it'd be hard to pick your pace back up. But definatly tricking to pull out that bucket and keep distance from G&W would help.

More input: If G&W starts approaching with B-air, could you just laser and cancel it by landing? I mean, sounds good.

ASLO: Please note I haven't fought a good G&W for a time. This is off what I remeber and what seems to be the probs.

FINALLY: Hylian cruise? lmao.

*Rainbow Cruise

§witch

Smash Lord
I start with an IAP, so I'm already in close. That's not a worry. He outpriorotizes and out ranges us in the air. I think we can wrap this up. 65-35 G&W's favour?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I don't see what's so wrong with G&W... He's so **** light so he dies from U-Smash pretty easily. Hell, at high percentages, U-Tilt is viable as well.

CG to Dair can do about 50-60% DMG from 0% if you know what you're doing. F-Tilt, Bair him some more like 3 or 4 times then U-Smash. -_-

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
if we do one for olimar, we dont need to put much since reflector reflects pikimn rofl

§witch

Smash Lord
Oh man, I wish it was that easy. "WTF? HES USING THE BEST APPROACH IN THE GAME?!?!?!?! **** THAT! *GRABS*"

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Seriously, if GaWs bair could be shieldgrabbed so easily, he'd drop on the tiers

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Actually I was referring to the guy, who said you could just shield the turtle

Neb

Smash Lord
Actually I was referring to the guy, who said you could just shield the turtle
Oh I know, I was just saying, :|.
But anyway, the only time your gonna get a shield grab, is if the G&W is dumb, and ends the bair right in front of you without retreating. It has really low cool-down if DI'd correctly.

Top Bottom