• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Counter Game: Read the **** Rules or the Thread Get's Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

c3gill

Smash Ace
@ Mantine

Mantine @ Leftovers
Water Absorb: Modest
252 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 4 Speed
Hidden Power [Electric]
Toxic
Substitute
Surf
Lanturn @ Leftovers
Volt Absorb- Modest
252 Sp Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
- Confuse Ray
- Substitute

Unless I Switch into a sub, your OHKOed. Even if i do, i outspeed a sub to block toxic, then slaughter you by spamming STAB Tbolts.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
@ Lanturn

Lickilicky @ Chesto Berry
Own Tempo: Relaxed
252 HP/216 Def/40 SpD
-Curse
-Rest
-Earthquake
-Return

Snorlax? I don't see a Snorlax. I'm getting countered by Gastly, but I don't care.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Spiritomb@Leftovers
Bold
252 SpAtk 252 Def 4 HP
Dark Pulse
Calm Mind
Rest
Sleep Talk
Hitmonlee@ Leftovers
adamant, limber
252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Hp
- Sunny Day
- Blaze Kick
- Brick Break
- Bullet Punch

You CM. I sunny, you CM. I blazez. (Blaze Kick does over 45% after sunny day- if it was less than 33%, youd win, barring a rediculous crit)

WouW

Smash Lord
Vs. Shaymin:

Ninetales @ Expert Belt
Timid/Flash Fire
108HP/252SpA/148Spe
Fire Blast
Hidden Power Dragon
Dark Pulse
Hypnosis

Barely survives an Earth Power and OHKOs with Fire Blast. Hypnosises what it doesn't beat.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Wouldn't you recharge while you are asleep though?

Hehe, I tried to counter that, but one of my Batosai (Sceptile) came up a little too short to live through that HeadSmash. :p It's an awesome set.... I might see how many KO's I can get with a Relicanth like that.

Try this on for size though.

Carnivine (Impish) + Life Orb *Levitate*
EVS:100Hp, 60Attack, 250Def, 100Speed
Seed Bomb - StockPile
Swallow - Spit Up

This one will be easy to counter, but it still beats Relicanth somehow. Barely fast enough to outspeed it, with enough attack power for a 1 hit kill, as well as enough bulk to defend against all 4 attacks. I figured the other 2 moves might give it some defense and some recovery options. Spit Up just seems to flow naturally with it. :p

I bet 50 dollars the next one is a Special Sweeper. :p

WouW

Smash Lord
Please adapt to our format. Yours is almost unreadable and lacks an ability.

Armaldo @ Life Orb
Adamant/Battle Armor
252Atk/112Spe/144HP
X-Scissor
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
Earthquake

I want my 50 dollars.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Snap. This one's hard. Wouw, you seem to be able to turn Rock Types into Lethal Weapons :p I got him though. Armaldo belongs to Shellshock!

(Sorry about the way I did my other one. I didn't mean for it to be confusing.)
Blastoice/Life Orb
Bold/Torrent
130hp,250def,130spA
Surf
Yawn
IceBeam
Earthquake

Just enough natural speed to move faster than Armaldo, with enough bulk to withstand multiple hits, and enough power to 1 hit kill with Surf. Stone Edge boosted by Sword Dance is a heck of a danger though. Thank you for moving quick there, ShellShock.

The other moves pretty much just help it try to fight it's counters, from putting them to sleep to striking common grass and electric types. I'm expecting one of those types of attacks to be used by a counter though.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
You're really good at this. This one might be a brain-teaser, not being Physical or Psychic Resistant. You're a very intelligent, very dangerous opponent. And I salute you.

However, I'll still take that challenge on, and rise to the occasion.

Mismagius + Leftovers
Bashful/Levitate
150hp,150specialattack,160specialdefense,50speed (sorry about the confusion of 260 evs in 1 stat. Miss-type. :p)
Psychic
Imprison
Taunt
Shadowball

Imagine that. Only "1" point away from being slower than Espeon. And enough stats to survive a Calm-Minded Psychic. Just fast enough to use Imprison, keeping you from using Psychic. Then Taunts to keep you from using ANY OTHER MOVE! At that point, Struggle does absolutely nothing (ghost type for the win), while Shadow Ball manages to kill over time. Shell-Bell helps heal the hp lost from the first uber hit Psychic.

This set is going to be knocked out so easily. ;.; Poor ChozoGhost ;.; Any kinda pokemon could deal with this one, pretty much.

WouW

Smash Lord
260 SpD EVs?

Absol @ Life Orb
Adamant/Super Luck
252Atk/252HP/4Spe
Taunt
Sucker Punch
Superpower
Zen Headbutt

Immune to Psychic, Imprison doesn't do anything, Shadow Ball is resisted and OHKOs with Sucker Punch or 2HKOs with Zen Headbutt.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Hey Wouw? On an adhd note, do you hate me now? Or do I just seem like another everyday person? Just semi-curious of what you might think about someone like me.

I've always liked Jackie-Chan.

Hitmonchan/Payapa Berry
Adamant/Iron Fist
100hp/"0 attack"/250def/60specialdef/100speed
Close Combat
Ice Punch
FirePunch
Earthquake

With No evs in attack, this set will be easily countered very quickly. But still, even with a low base attack, it still kills Absol in 1 hit with close combat. Hp and Def make sure it can live through the first Zen Headbutt, but the Berry does an even better job of covering it. Filler moves just make the competition harder to pick a counter that doesn't get hit hard by it's moves and speed.

Edit: 7 consecutive battles between just me and Wouw. Anyone else have any input?

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Cloyster/ShellBell
Calm/SkillLink
200hp/60attack/250specialdefense
Icicle Spear
Rapid Spin
Facade
Waterfall

RapidSpins away LeechSeed, Icicle Spears Substitutes, Facades once Paralysed from StunSpore, Waterfall for Stab. I feel sloppy for this one. It's going down quickly.

WouW

Smash Lord
Exeggutor @ Chesto Berry
Modest/Chlorophyll
252SpA/252Spe/4HP
Leaf Storm
Sunny Day
Solar Beam
Hidden Power Fire

Outspeeds and outright kills with Leaf Storm or sets up Sunny Day and sweeps.
Next thing is probably going to be a fire type/anything else that resists Grass/Fire.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Exeggutor @ Chesto Berry
Modest/Chlorophyll
252SpA/252Spe/4HP
Leaf Storm
Sunny Day
Solar Beam
Hidden Power Fire

Outspeeds and outright kills with Leaf Storm or sets up Sunny Day and sweeps.
Next thing is probably going to be a fire type/anything else that resists Grass/Fire.
Arcanine @ Lum Berry
Jolly/ Flash Fire
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Thunder Fang
Crunch
Flare Blitz
Extremespeed

OMG I hope I switch into Sunny Day. Please! Go for the OHKO on the switch with Sunny Day! ill take a leaf storm or a Solarbeam and ohko you with flare blitz- recoil still leaves me with health :)

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Man... c3gill, you should have tried harder to find a counter that didn't resist Grass or wasn't a Fire type. You did exactly what was expected of your counter.

:p Too bad that most Fire Types are easy Counters. Unfortunately, you're probably already expecting this too...

Regirock/Leftovers
Carefull/Clearbody
252hp/6attack/252specialdefense
Curse
Rock Slide
Sandstorm
Ice Punch

This was mean, but this set is still easily beaten. However, it owns Arcanine. Leftovers nearly completely midigate all damage done by Crunch, while Thunderfang, Flare Blitz and Extremespeed can't hope to do anything. After 6 Curses, the highest damage Arcanine can do is 15. After 2 Curses, Rockslide is an instant kill. After 6 of them, 700 to 900 damage per Rock Slide to your Arcanine. Sandstorm increases already incredible defenses, and Ice-Punch will stop SOME counters.

I'm sure the next one will take advantage of SandStorm, and/or be a Special Attacker or Physical Wall. What exactly are the rules of this? Would Regirock be allowed to set up Sandstorm or Curse as an enemy switched in? If it was allowed to keep all of the Curse Bonuses from the Arcanine fight, the counter would be REQUIRED to be a Special Sweeper, or a Wall that can resist both Rock Slide and Ice Punch. And even then, it would be between a Rock and a Hard Place. :p

c3gill

Smash Ace
Man... c3gill, you should have tried harder to find a counter that didn't resist Grass or wasn't a Fire type. You did exactly what was expected of your counter.

Regirock/Leftovers
Carefull/Clearbody
252hp/6attack/252specialdefense
Curse
Rock Slide
Sandstorm
Ice Punch
There are sooo many opportunites to counter with different things, I chose a simple and my one of my favorite pokemon. Arcanine Rocks. anyway, for your set:

Slowbro @ Choice Scarf
bold/ own tempo
252 Sp. Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
- TRICK!!!!!
- Surf
- Slack off
- Calm Mind

oh how I love this trick set. If i catch you cursing your screwed, as i can CM up and ****. none of your moves pose enough damage to me, so regardless of what move you pick, its tricked, i set CM up and Surf your face off.

Thanks for the leftovers, btw. and the rules are on the first page of the thread, it will answer your questions.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Snap. I honestly could have sworn Regirock had a chance in this match up. Oh well, I guess it's time for BlackJoker!

Absol @ Scope Lens
Adamant/SuperLuck
6hp/252attack/252speed
NightSlash
Psychocut
StoneEdge
ShadowClaw

1 Critical Hit (which is almost guaranteed by this set and by the rules), and Slowbro suffers from a 1 hit kill. Trick me with that Leftovers or Choice-Scarf. That helps me still, and I'd still get way above normal chances for critical hits to do good damage against lots of Pokemon. I'm expecting either a Steel Type, Bug Type, or a Set with a Creature who's ability negates Critical Hits, or recieves a boost from them (assuming it can live through a hit).

c3gill

Smash Ace
Rules come courtesy of Wouw and Wii4Mii

Pokémon Counter Game

Basically, what you do is, after someone posts a moveset for a Pokemon, you post a Pokemon with a moveset that counters what the above person posted. For example, let's say member A posts a moveset of a Pokemon (to counter the previous poster's Pokemon). Then, member B comes in and posts this Pokemon because it counters member A Pokemon:

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Sand Veil/Jolly
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
Earthquake
Night Slash
Stone Edge
Swords Dance

Then, member C would come along and post this Pokemon because it counters member B's Pokemon:

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Leaf Guard/Adamant
252Spe/252Atk/4HP
Leaf Blade
X-Scissor
Return
Synthesis

And then this process repeats itself.

Now, there are obviously rules:

1) Only BL and below are allowed. OU Pokémon and Ubers are not allowed.

2) Don't post stuff like:

Slaking @ Choice Band
Truant/Adamant
252Atk
Giga Impact
Filler
Filler
Filler

This is because the person that posts after you doesn't know what your posted Pokemon's other moves are, so they wouldn't know if their Pokemon counters yours or not. So, make sure to fill everything out. Don't forget to add a full EV spread, as well. This is what you should have, although you don't have to apply by this particular format:

Pokemon @ Item
Ability/Nature
EVs
move 1
move 2
move 3
move 4

Then you can post a small explanation as to why this Pokemon counters the other one.

2) Remember what a counter is: A Pokemon that can safely switch into any of the attacks from the Pokemon it wants to counter and can immediately pose a threat to the Pokemon it wants to counter or make the Pokemon it wants to counter switch-out while not being threatened in any way by the Pokemon it wants to counter.

3) Decide on ONE move per move slot. Don't post things like:

Crunch/Night Slash
Waterfall/Hydro Pump
Earthquake/Ice Fang
Rain Dance

4) Assume that all Pokés have 31 IVs in each stat, unless things like Gyro Ball/Trick Room are used.

5) Don't assume Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock. Don't use these also.

6) Hail from Abomasnow is only assumed for five turns/Pokémon. Otherwise induced weather is also only assumed for five (eight if extending rocks are used) turns. Same with Trick Room, Reflect or Light Screen.

7) Don't use Explosion, Selfdestruct, Mean Look, Memento, Baton Pass or U-Turn.

8) 'lol switch' is not a way to avoid being countered.

9) Don't assume Critical Hits, unless you're supposed to land crits. (Super Luck Scope Lens Absol using Night Slash, for example.)

10) Don't assume max damage all the time.

11) Don't counter using Focus Sash. Focus Sash is only allowed if not necessary to counter the other Pokémon.

12) If a Pokémon can't harm Shedinja, don't be lame and put that down as a counter.

13) Be sure that your counter works. Don't be like 'i think it works, but too lazy to confirm'.

14) For Choiced movesets, make sure that ALL moves work against what it's supposed to counter. For example, don't post a Choiced Slaking with Shadow Claw on something like Lopunny, as Shadow Claw would not be able to beat the previous counter.
I fail to see why you cannot understand this- you must make a pokemon that can safely switch into the opponent and pose an immediate threat. for your regirock, my slowbro switches in on my first turn. you make a move. I have to-

A) Survive that move
B) Pose an immediate threat

So if you sandstormed on my slowbro, that is the move i would have tricked, and you would be screwed. if you use rock slide, i trick that and your screwed- I can calm mind and slack off damage, and then OHKO you with a buffed Surf. If you used Curse, i would have tricked that and you would be stuck cursing, I win again. and same goes for Ice Punch. This is on a case by case basis, so since I countered your Regirock, Regirock is no longer part of the system.

You are now countering my counter.

You come in on Slowbro, assume a Surf. Surf does about 80% on your absol. you know Im stuck surfing, and your STABed Night Slash did a little over 60% (i just ran it 10 times, i survived and KOed 6 times- that is more than the majority) . I KOed your Absol. that is a failed Counter, because you lost. Your counter is supported only on your ability to get a critical hit, which isnt high enough to constitute an immediate threat. and with you only doing 60%, I 2koed you.

So here is how it played out:

C3 sends out slowbro
Da-D switches to Absol
Slowbro used Surf- Absol took 80%

SLOWBRO- 100%
ABSOL- 20%

Absol used Night Slash- Slowbro took 60%
Slowbro used Surf- Absol took 20% and died.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
With Super Luck, Scope Lens, and Night Slash, I have a 50% chance of a Critical, which happens much more often than you'd think. And the rules say that for that set up, the Critical Hit can be assumed. Rule 9, which you also quoted.

I admit, I completely forgot about Slack-Off. So you still beat my Regirock using the Slowbro set. But Absol (using this set) does get the win against Slowbro. (Note to self:Research what happens when Regirock and Slowbro Clash in this way, after the Arcanine Battle.)

Next post, good luck getting past BlackJoker! I know I shouldn't rely on a 50% chance of the critical, but the rules of this did say that this specific set's Critical Hits were appliable. So again, I'm expecting either a fast 1 hit kill, a defensive juggernaut that resists all 3, or one that gets an advantage from Critical Hits.

c3gill

Smash Ace
2) Remember what a counter is: A Pokemon that can safely switch into any of the attacks from the Pokemon it wants to counter and can immediately pose a threat to the Pokemon it wants to counter or make the Pokemon it wants to counter switch-out while not being threatened in any way by the Pokemon it wants to counter.
With Super Luck, Scope Lens, and Night Slash, I have a 50% chance of a Critical, which happens much more often than you'd think. And the rules say that for that set up, the Critical Hit can be assumed. Rule 9, which you also quoted.

I admit, I completely forgot about Slack-Off. So you still beat my Regirock using the Slowbro set. But Absol (using this set) does get the win against Slowbro. (Note to self:Research what happens when Regirock and Slowbro Clash in this way, after the Arcanine Battle.) Next post, good luck getting past BlackJoker!
Your only getting 50% crits, which means I win 50% of the time- a safe counter can come in safely and pose an immediate threat- 50% of the time I win, 50% you win- thats still a failed counter- you didnt counter what I presented. Notice that last time from #2? WHILE NOT BEING THREATENED IN ANY WAY BY THE POKEMON IT WANTS TO COUNTER.

Your coming in based on luck, and my slowbro wins 50% of the time- thats pretty threatening. I have a guarenteed 2HKO, you fail to KO me 50% of the time- definatly a failed counter. And yes, 50% works for my arguement, because unlike you, I am the defending pokemon- you must counter me. As it is a coin toss to see who wins, thats not a counter.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Rules come courtesy of Wouw and Wii4Mii

9) Don't assume Critical Hits, unless you're supposed to land crits. (Super Luck Scope Lens Absol using Night Slash, for example.)
The Absol I'm using falls under the criteria of an assumed Critical Hit for this game. Which means although that Surf does do quite a bit of damage to Absol, it returns the favor with an instant killing Night Slash, due to the courtesy of it's Critical Hit. I learned a lot from other posts, including how valuable Luck can be. :p

c3gill

Smash Ace
The Absol I'm using falls under the criteria of an assumed Critical Hit for this game. Which means although that Surf does do quite a bit of damage to Absol, it returns the favor with an instant killing Night Slash, due to the courtesy of it's Critical Hit. I learned a lot from other posts, including how valuable Luck can be. :p
Your counter, regardless of what you might try to argue, fails as it doesnt effictively counter. Maybe a Luxray who can come in take a surf and OHKO, but yours doesnt do that. your still going on a coin toss, which doesnt work. You failed to counter- just accept it and come up with a new one, that can pose a > 75% threat.

EDIT- 75% is a GIFT. that still isnt a true counter. Look at my slowbro and your regirock- Slowbro wins 100% of the time, barring a freakish crit. THAT IS A TRUE COUNTER. Look at some of the other pages, youll see that we dont go on rediculous assumptions. Theorymon isnt based on luck of crits, rather it is based on skill and pure damage numbers.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Dude, although I might not have fully understood the mechanics of the rules from effects from the previous battle, as well as oversitted the Slack-Off, this counter actually uses a set recommended by the rules, which for this Counter Game does apply. I could go and make up another counter, but Absol still does the job, since the rules of this state that it's set gives it the Critical Hit it's aiming for. I know in normal battling, half the time it would find itself losing, but since it is an assumed Critical, it still wins.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Dude, although I might not have fully understood the mechanics of the rules from effects from the previous battle, as well as oversitted the Slack-Off, this counter actually uses a set recommended by the rules, which for this Counter Game does apply. I could go and make up another counter, but Absol still does the job, since the rules of this state that it's set gives it the Critical Hit it's aiming for. I know in normal battling, half the time it would find itself losing, but since it is an assumed Critical, it still wins.
you can assume all you want, that doesnt make it work. 50% is never a true counter. there are plenty of options that work 100% of the time, go find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom