• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ness Support Thread

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
....Are you kidding me? Even E-Mail Sakurai. He'll say it to you, he said it in the Lucas Special Moves update.
Sakurai said Ness "has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now". Which is true, Ness has appeared in the series up until now. I just don't believe that 'up untill now' has to imply that Ness isn't still in the series.
I think that, if you were trying to mention a veteran without commenting on their status in Brawl, 'up until now' would be a perfectly reasonable choice of words.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sakurai said Ness "has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now". Which is true, Ness has appeared in the series up until now. I just don't believe that 'up untill now' has to imply that Ness isn't still in the series.
I think that, if you were trying to mention a veteran without commenting on their status in Brawl, 'up until now' would be a perfectly reasonable choice of words.
Ness is NOT going to be in Brawl

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Why am I not surprised that I see almost nobody who actually visits the Ness boards here?

Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now

Need more be said?
Yes, a vague statement acquired from a Japanese translation(a language which doesn't lend itself to a great English translation), Ness is definitely out of the game, **** you're a super sleuth.

BOZO500

Smash Journeyman
ness!! sign me up, i love the mother earthbound games, and he was in the 1st 2 games, why the heck should they stop adding him in now! sign me up on the list!!

Shuma

Smash Hero
****, people are still discussing this? he whon't be in Brawl, dear god....

When the nook incident everyone's argument is that "Sakurai hasn't said that Nook is deconfirmed". And now that Sakurai says that ness whont be in Brawl, people still has doubts?

How Pathetic.

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
****, people are still discussing this? he whon't be in Brawl, dear god....
*Faceplam*
Jeez
What's "whon't"?
We'll just have to see.

When the nook incident everyone's argument is that "Sakurai hasn't said that Nook is deconfirmed". And now that Sakurai says that ness whont be in Brawl, people still has doubts?
Can you please use corrective spelling. Jeez. Besides, Sakurai never fully stated anything about Ness' inclusion in Brawl.

How Pathetic.

That's your opinion.

vesperview

Smash Hero
So let's see, you support Claus to be in Brawl but you want Ness back? If a Claus update surfaces on the Dojo before your alleged Ness "return" you can pretty much kiss him goodbye, specially if Sakurai were to mention Ness in a Claus update, plus it would be illogical and stupid to have two characters from Mother 3 and not have two characters from Mother 2, since according to all of you people "That's the game that went worldwide, Ness is the mascot of the series and the rightful owner of a spot in the Braw roster :psycho:" lol, gimme a break.

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
So let's see, you support Claus to be in Brawl but you want Ness back?
Of course, besides I created the whole Idea of the Masked Man's Pig Mask Army even existing. Anyways, I'm a Mother series fan.

If a Claus update surfaces on the Dojo before your alleged Ness "return" you can pretty much kiss him goodbye,
Anything can happen, until Sakurai actually states "Ness is gone!", I guess I'm in 'denial'.

plus it would be illogical and stupid to have two characters from Mother 3 and not have two characters from Mother 2,
Huh? That's a totally opinionated quote there.

since according to all of you people "That's the game that went worldwide,
Who's "All of you people"?

Ness is the mascot of the series

He kinda is.

and the rightful owner of a spot in the Braw roster :psycho:"
What's "Braw"? :ohwell:

vesperview

Smash Hero
Of course, besides I created the whole Idea of the Masked Man's Pig Mask Army even existing. Anyways, I'm a Mother series fan.
You just went into every thread asking if they had a club, that's clearly different, you've done absolutely nothing for the club.

Anything can happen, until Sakurai actually states "Ness is gone!", I guess I'm in 'denial'.
Yeah, just like he needs to say that Tom Nook won't be playable.[/sarcasm] He's not gonna say it, you either accept it or simply wait for the game to be released see the entire roster and come to terms with Ness not being there.

Huh? That's a totally opinionated quote there.
Why? If Mother 2 is the game that has been represented since the very beginning of Smash it wouldn't make sense for it not to have more reps than the newest game included, since it has more longevity and importance according to every Ness "supporter" in this thread.

He kinda is.
No he isn't, that's the stupidest thing ever.

What's "Braw"? :ohwell:
So now you're looking into typos for not being able to argue anything? Nice!

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
You just went into every thread asking if they had a club, that's clearly different, you've done absolutely nothing for the club.
When did 2 threads count as every thread? I did that in a effort to bring every Mother character orientated thread into one. I basically gave you the idea of creating the FC.
Anyways, I would of created banners, but at the time. Didn't have any access to any art programs.

Yeah, just like he needs to say that Tom Nook won't be playable.[/sarcasm] He's not gonna say it, you either accept it or simply wait for the game to be released see the entire roster and come to terms with Ness not being there.

Fine with me. Will do.

Why? If Mother 2 is the game that has been represented since the very beginning of Smash it wouldn't make sense for it not to have more reps than the newest game included,
Not every 'old' thing should be tossed away and replaced with a new.

since it has more longevity and importance according to every Ness "supporter" in this thread.
Again, your opinion.

No he isn't, that's the stupidest thing ever.
That's why I used the word "KINDA".

So now you're looking into typos for not being able to argue anything? Nice!
No, because I really wanted to know what 'braw' was.
It wasn't mean to be typed in the "OMFG you can't spell!" way. If it was, then I apologize for my action.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Not every 'old' thing should be tossed away and replaced with a new.
That's not my point, my point is that if a Mother game were to get more representation it would be Mother 2 due to it's history in the Smash series, if you want Lucas and Claus, but you want Ness back it wouldn't make sense, it would make sense to have Ness, Poo and Lucas not Lucas, Claus and Ness, cause one of them clearly doesn't fit in that group.

Again, your opinion.
That was a statement one of the people in this thread gave a couple of pages back, not me.

That's why I used the word "KINDA".
Yeah, he is NOT kinda the mascot of the series nor the mascot of the series, for that matter, that may go to Mr Saturn.

No, because I really wanted to know what 'braw' was.
It wasn't mean to be typed in the "OMFG you can't spell!" way. If it was, then I apologize for my action.
Whatever!

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
That's not my point, my point is that if a Mother game were to get more representation it would be Mother 2 due to it's history in the Smash series, if you want Lucas and Claus, but you want Ness back it wouldn't make sense,
I don't think Sakurai would want characters' inclusion in Brawl to make sense.
But that's insignificant opinion.

it would make sense to have Ness, Poo and Lucas not Lucas, Claus and Ness, cause one of them clearly doesn't fit in that group.
But the idea would great. :ohwell:

That was a statement one of the people in this thread gave a couple of pages back, not me.
Oh :urg:

Yeah, he is NOT kinda the mascot of the series nor the mascot of the series, for that matter, that may go to Mr Saturn.

****! *Smacks head* Gotta point there, BOING!

Whatever!
*Hides behind TV*
Jeez, calm down. :urg:

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
ok I am pretty sure ness is gone for a number of combined reasons:

1.sakurai never meant to put ness in brawl, he wanted to put lucas, ness was just the only one to go over seas, that was why we got ness instead. this isnt a problem anymore due to what marth and roy accomplished.

2.lucas's moveset was made UNUSUALY similar to ness's. why would sakurai give him a move set so close to ness's when from what you guys have said, lucas could have had an entirely new one. also lucas's moves seem to be improved versions as well.

3.it seems that the newer games(out of their series) are more focused on, just look at link, zelda, wario, mario(fludd), ect.

4.the "up until now" comment.

5.sakurai wont have an entire update just to say"so-so character is out" you guys should know that by now. it just wouldnt be good marketing skills.

I dont see how you guys can hold onto this idea for so long.

Zenigame

Smash Apprentice
1.sakurai never meant to put ness in brawl, he wanted to put lucas, ness was just the only one to go over seas, that was why we got ness instead. this isnt a problem anymore due to what marth and roy accomplished.
This is really, really wrong.

Either way, I think the point some people were/are trying to get across is that Ness is NOT 100% deconfirmed, like Nook was (they showed Nook in screenshots for Pete's sake). His chances of returning are slim to none, but he has just as much of a chance to return as Roy does (which is not saying very much, but it is saying something:psycho:). Clones have not been deconfirmed for Brawl, that is just an assumption made at large. We'll see.

If Ness doesn't return, those who were saying he MIGHT return are gonna be dissappointed. Fine. But if, however small the chance is, Ness DOES return, some of you all are gonna feel like idiots. He MAY return, he probably won't, let's just leave it at that.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
I agree, but I wont feel like an idiot if he does come back (I dont think he will, I know he isnt deconfirmed 100%, but I just believe that), I will feel happy, Ness is cool, I like Lucas more, but Ness is is my second favorite character in Mother, well...third, Claus is the second :p. Also I wont feel like an idiot because I'm going to be very busy playing brawl, doing schoolstuff, and being at parties and hanging with my friends, so I might not see how Ness believers flame the non-believers (shun the non-believers, shuuun :p, charly the unicorn is the best thing ever)

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
This is really, really wrong.

Either way, I think the point some people were/are trying to get across is that Ness is NOT 100% deconfirmed, like Nook was (they showed Nook in screenshots for Pete's sake). His chances of returning are slim to none, but he has just as much of a chance to return as Roy does (which is not saying very much, but it is saying something:psycho:). Clones have not been deconfirmed for Brawl, that is just an assumption made at large. We'll see.

If Ness doesn't return, those who were saying he MIGHT return are gonna be dissappointed. Fine. But if, however small the chance is, Ness DOES return, some of you all are gonna feel like idiots. He MAY return, he probably won't, let's just leave it at that.
no, sakurai said himself he wanted to avoid clones if at all possible, with all the time they had on this game, I highly doubt we will get any clones at all. and if that is the case, and ness was to return(which I dont think he will!) he wont fight the same way at all.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
ok I am pretty sure ness is gone for a number of combined reasons:

Actually, we got Ness because Mother 3 wasn't out in time for the first two smash bros games.

2.lucas's moveset was made UNUSUALY similar to ness's. why would sakurai give him a move set so close to ness's when from what you guys have said, lucas could have had an entirely new one. also lucas's moves seem to be improved versions as well.
Their movesets aren't that similar. Lucas and Ness share three special moves, two of which have been changed up. Mario and Luigi had more similarities between their movesets in Melee than Ness and Lucas do now.
Personally, I think it makes sense. Mario and Luigi are very similar in their games outside of the smash series, so they were given similar-looking movesets; Ness and Lucas are also very similar in their games outside of smash bros, so they too were given similar-looking movesets.

4.the "up until now" comment.
I've said this before: Try to mention a veteran character's previous smash bros appearances without mentioning Brawl. You get things like:
"Ganondorf, who was playable in the last smash bros game"
"Luigi, a fighter who had to be unlocked in the last two smash bros games"
"Ness, who has appeared in the smash bros series up until now"
All of the above are true statements that seem to imply that a character has been cut. I think it's just a result of the way you have to word things.

no, sakurai said himself he wanted to avoid clones if at all possible, with all the time they had on this game, I highly doubt we will get any clones at all. and if that is the case, and ness was to return(which I dont think he will!) he wont fight the same way at all.
Well, Sakurai also said he wanted to avoid adding any Japan-only characters, not that that worked out. Besides, he said that any returning clone would get a new moveset, so it's still possible for a character who was a clone to return for Brawl. But Ness and Lucas aren't clones, so this doesn't really affect anything.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
Actually, we got Ness because Mother 3 wasn't out in time for the first two smash bros games.

then why was it that sakurai wanted lucas in the first smash bros games?

Their movesets aren't that similar. Lucas and Ness share three special moves, two of which have been changed up. Mario and Luigi had more similarities between their movesets in Melee than Ness and Lucas do now.
Personally, I think it makes sense. Mario and Luigi are very similar in their games outside of the smash series, so they were given similar-looking movesets; Ness and Lucas are also very similar in their games outside of smash bros, so they too were given similar-looking movesets.

they have the same ^B(lucas's looks like it goes farther) the same vB(only a little different position wise) the same forward B but Lucas's seems more powerful, and the B attack has the same control mechanics just different effects. if lucas is a newcomer, why would they make his move set similar to ness's when they could have made it different?

mario and luigi are a different story, they were made similar even in thier own games, so its understandable with them, but lucas and ness have more variety to choose from to make them individualy unique. so my point still stands, why make them so similar?

I've said this before: Try to mention a veteran character's previous smash bros appearances without mentioning Brawl. You get things like:
"Ganondorf, who was playable in the last smash bros game"
"Luigi, a fighter who had to be unlocked in the last two smash bros games"
"Ness, who has appeared in the smash bros series up until now"
All of the above are true statements that seem to imply that a character has been cut. I think it's just a result of the way you have to word things.

all of those can be taken either way, I understand your point, but we still dont know who is right about which translation of its meaning is right. I am still going to stick with it meaning ness is out.

Well, Sakurai also said he wanted to avoid adding any Japan-only characters, not that that worked out. Besides, he said that any returning clone would get a new moveset, so it's still possible for a character who was a clone to return for Brawl. But Ness and Lucas aren't clones, so this doesn't really affect anything.
japan only characters are a diferent story yet again. if we were to get a japan only character its takeing more of a leap of faith to see if it can make a japan only franchise able to travel over seas and get good sales. clones dont have any benifits at all.

also why would they reveal lucas before ness? especialy with lucas having a similar move set?

Noshiee

Smash Ace
also, it's kinda stupid to compare Ness and Lucas with Mario and Luigi, because if any character deserves to be a semi-clone (luigified), is Luigi, he is the second most important character in the Mario franshise, if not nintendo, also, if you know mario, you know luigi. The only ones that might be more important than him other than mario is Peach and Bowser, but no other.
on the other hand, Ness nor Lucas are that important, thay are really popular in japan, but Mario and Luigi are known internationally. Believe me, if Ness were the one to be confirmed, Lucas would had never been a clone, or semi-clone or nothin, he would had gotten a totally different moveset or wouldnt had been in Brawl at all as a PC.
Anyway, I think Luigi has a lot of moveset potential, atleast enough so that he becomes a original character with his own moveset (lightning powers, super jump (SPP), the poltergust, and of course the green missile), I would like to see him in Brawl with his own moveset, anyway, he deserves it, but that is like way off-topic lol

Zenigame

Smash Apprentice
Lucas was not put in Melee becuase Mother 3 was released NOWHERE. It was delayed. It had nothing to do with a Japan-only release.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
then why was it that sakurai wanted lucas in the first smash bros games?
Mother 3 is one of those games that got delayed over and over again. It was in development even during the time of the first smash bros game, so Sakurai had plans to use Lucas even back then, but Mother 3 itself didn't come out in time and Sakurai chose Ness instead.

they have the same ^B(lucas's looks like it goes farther) the same vB(only a little different position wise) the same forward B but Lucas's seems more powerful, and the B attack has the same control mechanics just different effects. if lucas is a newcomer, why would they make his move set similar to ness's when they could have made it different?

mario and luigi are a different story, they were made similar even in thier own games, so its understandable with them, but lucas and ness have more variety to choose from to make them individualy unique. so my point still stands, why make them so similar?
Exactly as I said, Lucas and Ness share similar but not identical special moves, but have entirely different standard moves. As opposed to Mario and Luigi, who shared three out of four special moves AND a handful of standard moves. So Lucas and Ness are far less similar than they seem.

The question is why make them seem similar at all? Well, for the same reason Mario and Luigi are similar. Lucas and Ness play identical roles in their respective games. They have the same stats, equip the same types of weapons, and learn the same PSI moves. So it makes sense that their movesets in Brawl would reflect this similarity.

all of those can be taken either way, I understand your point, but we still dont know who is right about which translation of its meaning is right. I am still going to stick with it meaning ness is out.
That's fine, I'm just saying that the 'up until now' line isn't as cut-and-dry as most people seem to make it out to be.

japan only characters are a diferent story yet again. if we were to get a japan only character its takeing more of a leap of faith to see if it can make a japan only franchise able to travel over seas and get good sales. clones dont have any benifits at all.
Clones have benefits. They increase the roster without eating as much valuable development time, and they provide an access for lesser characters who may not have gotten in on their own.

also why would they reveal lucas before ness? especialy with lucas having a similar move set?
I dunno, maybe it seemed like a good idea at the time? Why hasn't Sakurai revealed Captain Falcon? Why did he wait so long to add Metaknight's page? Why was Peach revealed in a video two weeks before her confirmation? I try not to put too much stock in the order Sakurai reveals things, since he doesn't seem to be going of any major pattern.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
also, it's kinda stupid to compare Ness and Lucas with Mario and Luigi, because if any character deserves to be a semi-clone (luigified), is Luigi, he is the second most important character in the Mario franshise, if not nintendo, also, if you know mario, you know luigi. The only ones that might be more important than him other than mario is Peach and Bowser, but no other.
on the other hand, Ness nor Lucas are that important, thay are really popular in japan, but Mario and Luigi are known internationally. Believe me, if Ness were the one to be confirmed, Lucas would had never been a clone, or semi-clone or nothin, he would had gotten a totally different moveset or wouldnt had been in Brawl at all as a PC.
Anyway, I think Luigi has a lot of moveset potential, atleast enough so that he becomes a original character with his own moveset (lightning powers, super jump (SPP), the poltergust, and of course the green missile), I would like to see him in Brawl with his own moveset, anyway, he deserves it, but that is like way off-topic lol
letme quote myself
also, it doesnt matter if he had confirmed metaknight today and not 2 months ago, but he confirmed kirby first, who is appeared in last smash games, unlike MK and triple D. The same thing goes to Peach, who was confirmed after Mario, or Zelda after Link, and Samus before Zamus, etc. It doesnt make sense to reveal Lucas first if Ness were to be in the game, is like revealing..mmmm...Ganondorf before Link, or Krystal before Fox.

NukeA6

Smash Master
It would be funny if tomorrow's update is a character update for a plesiosaur named Ness.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
Exactly as I said, Lucas and Ness share similar but not identical special moves, but have entirely different standard moves. As opposed to Mario and Luigi, who shared three out of four special moves AND a handful of standard moves. So Lucas and Ness are far less similar than they seem.

The question is why make them seem similar at all? Well, for the same reason Mario and Luigi are similar. Lucas and Ness play identical roles in their respective games. They have the same stats, equip the same types of weapons, and learn the same PSI moves. So it makes sense that their movesets in Brawl would reflect this similarity.

it doesnt matter at all if they shared similar roles or not, if they have the ability to be completely different, then why reveal lucas before ness AND give him a similar move set? mario and luigi dont have as many different moves to choose from. ness and lucas do.

Clones have benefits. They increase the roster without eating as much valuable development time, and they provide an access for lesser characters who may not have gotten in on their own.

well with all the delays developement time has been in surplus. and increaseing the roster size with clones acomplishes nothing, if they wanted to add a character who had the same exact move set in brawl, why not make them a alternate costume? increaseing the roster size with unique characters isnt an issue with brawl. there isnt even enough room for all of the unique characters. so why take up even more space with clones?

I dunno, maybe it seemed like a good idea at the time? Why hasn't Sakurai revealed Captain Falcon? Why did he wait so long to add Metaknight's page? Why was Peach revealed in a video two weeks before her confirmation? I try not to put too much stock in the order Sakurai reveals things, since he doesn't seem to be going of any major pattern.
captain falcon yet again is a bad comparison. if we got a character similar to him revealed as playable before him he would be in the same boat. but we havnt gotten any other characters from his series as playable yet so he is pretty safe so far.

metaknights update for his moves? or his character page? either way he was probably saving that page to fill in the dates he didnt want to give any new info on.

well werent alot of people shown in a video first? I dont think the video order and the character update order have anything to do with the lucas update before the ness update. those are two seperate deals.

Top Bottom