• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ness Support Thread

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Yes but like stated before, "Up until now" could be a mistranslation. People point out typos, and errors in the brawl updates all the time, I do not see how this could be excluded.

in addition, until now has been used in other updates, yet has not deconfirmed anything.
Mistranslation? First sentence begins with Ima (now) and made (until).

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
To quote myself from before...

Try this little mental exercise.
Mention ANY yet-to-be-reconfirmed character who has appeared in a past smash bros game WITHOUT mentioning whether or not they are in Brawl.
I usually get results like:

"Luigi, a character who has appeared in the last two smash bros games."

"Ganondorf, who was playable in the last smash bros game"

"Captain Falcon, who appeared as a fighter in previous smash bros games."

"Ness, who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now"

Actually, that last one was Sakurai's, not mine. My point is that it seems pretty hard to mention a past character and only mention a past character without making it sound as if they aren't going to be in Brawl.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
To quote myself from before...

Try this little mental exercise.
Mention ANY yet-to-be-reconfirmed character who has appeared in a past smash bros game WITHOUT mentioning whether or not they are in Brawl.
I usually get results like:

"Luigi, a character who has appeared in the last two smash bros games."

"Ganondorf, who was playable in the last smash bros game"

"Captain Falcon, who appeared as a fighter in previous smash bros games."

"Ness, who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now"

Actually, that last one was Sakurai's, not mine. My point is that it seems pretty hard to mention a past character and only mention a past character without making it sound as if they aren't going to be in Brawl.
First of all, the Up Until Now is not even the cherry on the cake for now. Second, WHY would you need to mention a character in that matter if not to introduce his replacement?

finalark

SNORLAX
You guys are at it again?

Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now

Ness appeared until now

I'm still confused on why is topic hasn't been closed yet.

Zoo-bellocks

Smash Apprentice
I think people are really over analyzing "up until now". Yes, in some cases it can mean up to this point and onwards, but there is a reason everyone jumped to the conclusion that it meant Ness was out. Sakurai chose the wording because he knew it would make people instinctively think he has been replaced (don't try to pull any mistranslation crap. It's been explained many times that the English and Japanese are the same). Is it remotely possible that Sakurai is playing mindgames? Well, I suppose so. But personally, I'll give Sakurai enough credit to assume he isn't cruel enough to toy with Ness fans like that. To say that the wording means absolutely nothing is just being naive.

I love Ness, and I did want him to return, but I'm realistic enough to realize the odds are basically zero. However, I can see an upside to him being gone. I can only speak for myself, but it was becoming a little unbearable watching Ness live out the rest of his video game career in Super Smash Bros. Having 4 video game appearances with only 1 of them being in his main game series is a little silly. I think it's good to finally lay him to rest.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
after reading everything thats been going for like the past 30 pages i would just like to say that while a lot of you are so sure Ness is as dead as dead can be, there are the rest of us (who support him) who want him to come back. why? cause we either love Ness or MOTHER2 or maybe both. whats wrong with that? its pretty obvious now (or should be) that no matter how long we go on arguing and calling eachother trolls NOTHING is going to change, we're all going to stick by our beliefs. so i ask this... for those of us who want Ness in brawl don't call us pathetic, or in denial....PLEASE!
whats the point anyway? let us think what we want, it shouldn't bother you so much. After all guys this is a Ness SUPPORT THREAD the last time i checked ^^;;

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
after reading everything thats been going for like the past 30 pages i would just like to say that while a lot of you are so sure Ness is as dead as dead can be, there are the rest of us (who support him) who want him to come back. why? cause we either love Ness or MOTHER2 or maybe both. whats wrong with that? its pretty obvious now (or should be) that no matter how long we go on arguing and calling eachother trolls NOTHING is going to change, we're all going to stick by our beliefs. so i ask this... for those of us who want Ness in brawl don't call us pathetic, or in denial....PLEASE!
whats the point anyway? let us think what we want, it shouldn't bother you so much. After all guys this is a Ness SUPPORT THREAD the last time i checked ^^;;
I... I want Ness in Brawl. I understand it won't happen though.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
for Ness not to have PK rockin would be bull**** lol
and should Ness return, i hope he doesn't look as chubby

finalark

SNORLAX
I... I want Ness in Brawl. I understand it won't happen though.
Glad to seem I'm not the only one that thinks that. Come on guys, Ness mas my melee main and I'm not telling myself he's back. So just accept that he's gone. If it's such a big deal then hey, perhaps Lucas will have Ness's clothes as one of his colors.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
yeah.....his first transition was pretty bad. but i'm still unbeatable with him (atleast around where i live)

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
yeah.....his first transition was pretty bad. but i'm still unbeatable with him (atleast around where i live)
Well "should he return" in brawl, you would be able to challenge people who don't live around you.. also hoping he returns to his full power lol.

Formula1

Smash Apprentice
I hope these moments present you will enough blind hope to comfort yourselves,

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Formula, if you don't think he's in, then don't post here.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
You guys do know that the guy who created the music for today's update also made the music for Earthbound/Mother 2? Just trying to throw out shards of hope.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
That's true too, but I loved Ness and wish he would return. Dr. Mario I don't really care for, even though I choose him over Mario.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
You guys do know that the guy who created the music for today's update also made the music for Earthbound/Mother 2? Just trying to throw out shards of hope.
I hope your logic is true.. because that would mean Yoko Shimomura's appearance means Sora could be in brawl :)

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
ness is deconfirmed, duh. i wish i was a mod so i could close this with DR'S CLAW
No character is ever deconfirmed until Sakurai says so. Maybe Ness got a new moveset, or he's unlockable, or even an Assist Trophy. You never know (Unless you are Sakurai, for which, if this is true, I am sorry).

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
No character is ever deconfirmed until Sakurai says so. Maybe Ness got a new moveset, or he's unlockable, or even an Assist Trophy. You never know (Unless you are Sakurai, for which, if this is true, I am sorry).
I don't think Sakurai would have Count Bleck in his sig... maybe a picture of Ness and Lucas fighting together, but not count bleck

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
I don't think Sakurai would have Count Bleck in his sig... maybe a picture of Ness and Lucas fighting together, but not count bleck
Point well taken, however, if I may offer a counterpoint.

I never thought Snake was going to be in Smash. I also never thought that my left big toe was going to be bigger than my right big toe. You never know. Unless YOU, sir, are Sakurai, in which case you do.

Top Bottom