• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ness Support Thread

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
So in your book they're clones of each other in Smash but not in the Mother series? Nice logic, if anything is Ninten the one that should've been in Smash, try playing a Mother game before arguing about this.
Im talking only in context of smash, ninten has never been in smash so please stop bringing him up.

Airmicro

Smash Cadet
The more i thought about Ness and the mother serie, the more I begin to think he should be out. Why?

I see it this way. Not every nintendo franchises work the same. Some of them keep their main characters like Zelda, Mario and Kirby but some, like Fire Emblem and Mother, changes in almost every games due to their deeper story and the fact that these games are RPGs only.

So, I think changing Mother's representant in brawl would simply fit with the way the franchise works.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
The more i thought about Ness and the mother serie, the more I begin to think he should be out. Why?

I see it this way. Not every nintendo franchises work the same. Some of them keep their main characters like Zelda, Mario and Kirby but some, like Fire Emblem and Mother, changes in almost every games due to their deeper story and the fact that these games are RPGs only.

So, I think changing Mother's representant in brawl would simply fit with the way the franchise works.
Mother 3 was only released in japan... so basically Ness is the broader representation for the Mother/Earthbound series.

Airmicro

Smash Cadet
Good point.

However, the character doesn't need to be known worldwide to be featured in brawl. Ness would still fit, but Lucas' popularity is more than enough to represent the new Mother's face even in America. Ness is starting to get old and would deserve a spot much more than the IC or GW if it wasn't for Lucas.

And like i said, main characters change and so it does in SSB.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Good point.

However, the character doesn't need to be known worldwide to be featured in brawl. Ness would still fit, but Lucas' popularity is more than enough to represent the new Mother's face even in America. Ness is starting to get old and would deserve a spot much more than the IC or GW if it wasn't for Lucas.

And like i said, main characters change and so it does in SSB.
This can be disputed by that fact that Red was chosen over the Diamond Protagonist for the pokemon series.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Ness is gonna be back, or else Sakurai would have referred to him as "a character from previous Smash titles," and would have made Lucas a carbon copy in terms of regular attacks as well. Ness is probably going to be the slower and stronger of the two.

What's more, can anybody actually cite the article in which Sakurai said he was going to replace Ness with Lucas in Melee, or is that just another "no more clones or iceclimbers" article?

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Ness is gonna be back, or else Sakurai would have referred to him as "a character from previous Smash titles," and would have made Lucas a carbon copy in terms of regular attacks as well. Ness is probably going to be the slower and stronger of the two.

What's more, can anybody actually cite the article in which Sakurai said he was going to replace Ness with Lucas in Melee, or is that just another "no more clones or iceclimbers" article?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0717/index.html

He said it there, right on Ness' Melee character profile.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
As with everything that has 'disconfirmed' Ness, that's highly ambiguous. He says "at first" before he goes on to say he wanted Lucas in. Same with the "Until now" comment, which was translated in other languages as "so far" and other such things. Let's not forget that Handicaps were in "each Smash Brothers game until now".

Interesting how he chose to use Lucas in the handicap update, almost as if referencing his "until now" comment about Ness.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, with the handicap update, it was given a makeover. This makes the past one appearing up until now.

BTW, I'm pratically in the same camp as you guys.

vesperview

Smash Hero
This isn't melee, it is brawl.
So? Sakurai has clearly went through with what that profile states, he just makes it more blatantly obvious by bringing up Ness in every Lucas update.

but it was still released in more places than mother 3, and more likely people know Ness more than lucas due to his previous incantations in smash.
Just like people will now know Lucas because of his appearance in Brawl, you're not winning anyone over with those arguments.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
So? Sakurai has clearly went through with what that profile states, he just makes it more blatantly obvious by bringing up Ness in every Lucas update.

Just like people will now know Lucas because of his appearance in Brawl, you're not winning anyone over with those arguments.
I wonder if Lucas can surpass Ness... I guess we will never find out since Ness might be be getting replaced... (oh and I wasn't quoting sakurai... or was I?)

Its been said many times before... Sakurai has yet to say Ness is out, so why do you insist he is out?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wonder if Lucas can surpass Ness... I guess we will never find out since Ness might be be getting replaced... (oh and I wasn't quoting sakurai... or was I?)

Its been said many times before... Sakurai has yet to say Ness is out, so why do you insist he is out?
Sakurai probbly means that in anoter usage. By surpassing, he probably meant succession or beating a record which Lucas is essentially doing.

vesperview

Smash Hero

Because everything points that he is out, plus, that quote could mean that Lucas is just better than Ness was in Melee, not that they're gonna go face to face in Brawl.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i think it kinda sets up Ness and Lucas as rivals (or thats what i want to think)

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Because everything points that he is out, plus, that quote could mean that Lucas is just better than Ness was in Melee, not that they're gonna go face to face in Brawl.
The things you see pointing to him being out, I see them as pointing to him staying..

do you see what pointing does?

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
So having Sakurai wanting to replace Ness since Melee, having him take almost all of his B moves and him being more popular than Ness in Japan makes you think Ness is staying? God, denial at it's finest.
If Sakurai does everything he wanted in melee, lets expect balloon fighter any day now...

they have "SIMILAR" b moves because as stated by that sakurai guy, they are in the same family of pk.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
the only move that seems to be the same is PK thunder.....the others all have different effects

vesperview

Smash Hero
Ness would've had those improvements, I don't see the point in arguing the moves, they're PK Thunder, PSI Magnet and PK Fire, clearly upgraded, are you implying Ness is keeping the downgraded versions of those moves cause that would suck.

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
Yes...As a alt costume! :Laugh: Seriously i doubt he will return but still an ALT Costume would be nice for him.
WRONG!
An ALT costume would a stupid idea, Ness is a separate character

Ness would've had those improvements, I don't see the point in arguing the moves,
And how would you know that? ;D

they're PK Thunder, PSI Magnet and PK Fire, clearly upgraded, are you implying Ness is keeping the downgraded versions of those moves cause that would suck.
It may be seem so, but it could be fitting.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
well i cant say much cause i never played any earthbound/mother games nor have any substansal knowledge on them so i just go with what i hear. Anyways i dont think that any character with a original moveset will be cut, nor one the has been in all the smashes so far. Which means in my mind ness, falcon, juggly, m2, g&w, marth/roy, shiek, and luigi are all safe.

Top Bottom