• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ness Support Thread

NukeA6

Smash Master
Ness isn't out yet unlike popular belief states. It didn't state "Up Until Now" in the Japanese update, so that means that unless the English translator knows more than Sakurai himself, he made a mistake. So add me. Ness' moveset could also easily be made different from Lucas' as well. He could keep Psi Magnet because his is different from Lucas', then they could replace his up special with that teleporty/dashy move he has (it's also his Smash 64 entrance), they could then change his neutral special to PK Rockin', and if Ness can mooch off Paula he can mooch off Jeff and Poo too, so his final smash could be PK StarStorm and his side special could be one of Jeff's popguns.
According to SamuraiPanda, "Up until now" appeared in the Japanese update.

XACE-K

Smash Master
To support Ness, I made a new moveset for him that could work. B-PK Flash: Just like in Melee but easier to control. B>-PSI Shield: It looks like PSI Magnet but it reflects projectiles and returns them but faster.B^-Yo-Yo Copter: Takes out his yo-yo and spins it around using it like a helicopter. B\/-PK Rockin: Stomps his foot and 3 boulders pop out of the ground. FS-PK Starstorm: Like Pit's FS but instead of little flying gnomes, there are stars.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Im fine with lucas in brawl. but ness' smash attacks are way better in my book. I'd like to see him back just to brag about being back. Then we get 100000000000000 "I thought ness was gone, but I was wrong!" threads.

Ness for Brawl!.

SNBM=220 posts.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I own all 3 MOTHER games and have beaten all 3. (right now i'm still working on MOTHER 2 tho)

smashmaniac16

Smash Journeyman
im in because ness represents 2 characters: ninten and ness (ninten as a costume change in melee) he's pretty much confirmed in my book, then we will have all 3 of earthbound/mother's main characters in brawl

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I wonder how many of this Ness "supporters" have actually played Mother 2 or 3 to begin with.
Personally I've never played Mother 2 or 3 (been busting my rear trying to get a cheap-ish copy of Earthbound -.-) but that doesn't stop me from liking the character. You can like a character even if you've never played their original game. Sure you don't get the full experience, but we've probably all experienced Ness in the first two Smashes, and isn't that what really counts when it comes to Brawl?

vesperview

Smash Hero
Personally I've never played Mother 2 or 3 (been busting my rear trying to get a cheap-ish copy of Earthbound -.-) but that doesn't stop me from liking the character. You can like a character even if you've never played their original game. Sure you don't get the full experience, but we've probably all experienced Ness in the first two Smashes, and isn't that what really counts when it comes to Brawl?
It's different once you've played the game, as it is with any character I suppose, of course you can like it without having played the game, but I just hate the "supporters" who defend Ness's so called spot in Brawl, but they haven't even played his game, not to mention those people who hate Lucas for "replacing" Ness, but who haven't even played Mother 3.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
That doesn't excuse them from hating Lucas or not even knowing Ness never had PK Thunder and Fire in his game.
I agree that there should not be any hate towards Lucas, but I still believe it doesn't matter whether someone has played any of the MOTHER games to support Ness. I am not a big fan of the metroid series, but I am a huge Samus fan due to Melee.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I don't hate Lucas myself, but I do know where you're coming from. I'd play both Mother 1,2 and 3 if I could. Most people who hate Lucas don't really HATE him so to say, but would just prefer Ness. That's kind of how I am, I prefer Ness to Lucas, but if Ness is gone I'm willing to accept Lucas. (Heck my main is Marth so I'm just supporting Ness for the heck of it ^^)

EPX2

Smash Ace
Yeah and there is a "But" and a complete change of the system implied right after that sentence, your point?
My point being that "Up until now" means absolutely nothing substantial. Sakurai elaborating on that statement makes sense seeing as how, you know, the entire update is dedicated to the handicaps; the mentioning of Ness was in a Lucas update, so there'd be no reason to elaborate on whatever changes he may have made to Ness.

vesperview

Smash Hero
My point being that "Up until now" means absolutely nothing. Sakurai elaborates on that statement seeing as how, you know, the entire update is dedicated to the handicaps; the mentioning of Ness was in a Lucas update, so there'd be no reason to elaborate on whatever changes he may have made to Ness.
He's saying he included handicaps that made you weaker up until now, but they were changed to just raising your damage meter.

Same way he's also saying, I've included Ness in all Smash games up until now, but now I've included Lucas who's similar.

They both mean he changed something that was in previous installments.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
He's saying he included handicaps that made you weaker up until now, but they were changed to just raising your damage meter.

Same way he's also saying, I've included Ness in all Smash games up until now, but now I've included Lucas who's similar.

He clearly says he included a Handicap system up until now, and then goes into the change towards the end.

EPX2

Smash Ace
That's what the entire update says - not that specific statement.

Smash Bros. DOJO!! said:
So until now, I’ve always made sure to include handicaps in each game in the series.
Let's take that sentence out of context. Assume that no handicap update had ever been posted, and all that had been said about handicaps was the above quote. Using your logic, Sakurai is saying that's he excluding handicaps from Brawl. After all, that's part of how you arrived at the conclusion that Ness has been removed, is it not?

No... both statements simply mean, "In every previous Smash game, xxxx has appeared." The handicap update - not that specific quote - shows that Sakurai has changed the system.

vesperview

Smash Hero
It's clearly implied that he has included those things in previous games but they were changed, seriously, not everything has to be said to people so explicitly for them to understand it, so you also think the previous type of handicap is returning?

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
It's clearly implied that he has included those things in previous games but they were changed, seriously, not everything has to be said to people so explicitly for them to understand it, so you also think the previous type of handicap is returning?
You are still stuck on the change of handicap, and not Handicap in general, Sakurai comment that includes "until now" has nothing to do with the change in the system of handicap, it is just talking about handicap in general.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Once again, you're attributing the meaning of the entire update to one specific statement that means absolutely nothing. The quote itself does not mean "Well, I'm changing the way handicaps work"; it means, "I've included a handicap system in every previous installment." Same with the mentioning of Ness in the Lucas update: "I've included Ness in every previous installment." You cannot gather that Sakurai has changed the handicap system from that quote alone - you HAVE to read the entire update to figure that out.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
This is how your reading it: "Until now handicap was like this, but now its like this"

This is what it actually says: " Handicap has been in smash until now(PERIOD). However it is different this time around(PERIOD). "

You basically combined two different passages to try and prove your point.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Okay, then, let's try this.

Assume that on Monday, an item update is posted, and the following quote is included:

"Up until now, there's been a Red Shell item."

Does that statement mean:

a) The Red Shell will not appear in Brawl?
b) The Red Shell has appeared in previous installments of the Smash series?

EPX2

Smash Ace
He's speaking in past tense about Ness and then saying up until now, what do you think that means?
It's in the exact same tense used in the quote taken from the handicap update.

Smash Bros. DOJO!! said:
There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar.
Smash Bros. DOJO!! said:
So until now, I’ve always made sure to include handicaps in each game in the series.

EPX2

Smash Ace
It still means there's been a change, you can't deny that, plus, it's made clearly more obvious in the Lucas update than in the handicaps update.
You're really just grasping now...

I can deny it, because it obviously does not mean there's been a change in the sense that something's being excluded from Brawl. The update shows us there's been a change, not that statement itself.

By the way, you didn't respond to my hypothetical situation:

Okay, then, let's try this.

Assume that on Monday, an item update is posted, and the following quote is included:

"Up until now, there's been a Red Shell item."

Does that statement mean:

a) The Red Shell will not appear in Brawl?
b) The Red Shell has appeared in previous installments of the Smash series?

Top Bottom