• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ness Support Thread

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
alright i guess my point wasn't taken as i wanted......i didn't say anything about popularity. We all know how important Luigi is to Mario.....in the Mario series, just as Ness is in the MOTHER series. i mean Ness is the only character that has made more than one appearence. but back to my point, i didn't want to bring popularity into it. i was simply stating Lucas could be to Ness what Luigi was to Mario.

vesperview

Smash Hero
alright i guess my point wasn't taken as i wanted......i didn't say anything about popularity. We all know how important Luigi is to Mario.....in the Mario series, just as Ness is in the MOTHER series. i mean Ness is the only character that has made more than one appearence. but back to my point, i didn't want to bring popularity into it. i was simply stating Lucas could be to Ness what Luigi was to Mario.
Ness hasn't made more than one appearance and the cameo in Mother 3 doesn't count.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
does anyone think theres a chance they change Ness around? i don't see it as very likely

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
It does matter, retro characters don't get in because they're popular or because they are currently important to the videogaming industry, they have no place in this argument.
I still don't see how being retro contradicts having numerous appearances, yes the ice climbers game is old, but so is Earthbound/Mother 2, people barely knew who ness was in ssb64.

vesperview

Smash Hero
I still don't see how being retro contradicts having numerous appearances, yes the ice climbers game is old, but so is Earthbound/Mother 2, people barely knew who ness was in ssb64.
It contradicts having numerous appearances because Mother has more than one game, the same way Zelda is focusing on TP in Brawl, is the same way Mother is focusing on Mother 3 in Brawl, really, retro characters don't have any place in this argument.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
It contradicts having numerous appearances because Mother has more than one game, the same way Zelda is focusing on TP in Brawl, is the same way Mother is focusing on Mother 3 in Brawl, really, retro characters don't have any place in this argument.
You cannot compare the Zelda updates to the possible replacement of Ness, Link's design was updated, and some of his weapons, but he is clearly the same, and from what we know so far about Zelda - all she got was a wardrobe change.

Lucas has a few "similar" moves to Ness, and saying Lucas is in because they only want recent series characters, then Pokemon Trainer wouldn't be red, he would be that Diamond guy.

vesperview

Smash Hero
I'm not talking only design, there's even a TP stage and comparing this to Pokemon is completely out of place, Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen are the remakes of Pokemon Blue and Red, the most important, best selling and crucial Pokemon games of the series, not to mention the first gen is the most popular due to the anime, Mother 2 is not even close to being the most successful Mother game of the series nor the most important one, is natural they're moving on and focusing on Mother 3.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I'm not talking only design, there's even a TP stage and comparing this to Pokemon is completely out of place, Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen are the remakes of Pokemon Blue and Red, the most important, best selling and crucial Pokemon games of the series, not to mention the first gen is the most popular due to the anime, Mother 2 is not even close to being the most successful Mother game of the series nor the most important one, is natural they're moving on and focusing on Mother 3.
Pokemon Diamond is the best selling pokemon game actually.. and first gen is most popular because it was what people first saw, and loved.

and for your second comment, are you saying that if Mother 2 was more successful and popular they would not have included lucas?

vesperview

Smash Hero
Pokemon Red and Blue have sold over 20 million copies while Diamond and Pearl have sold 12 million, but that's not the point, obviously if Mother 3 had flopped and Mother 2 was considered better, we wouldn't be having this discussion to begin with.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
How is it ignorant, when none of the Ness supporters can argue the fact that Sakurai had always wanted Lucas instead of Ness?
Actually, that's a point to be made right there. If Lucas was originally supposed to be the Earthbound rep, and we know that Lucas and Ness are practically identical in their respective games, then it's not much of a stretch to assume that Ness' moveset was intended for Lucas. So why then, when the time is right to finally switch the characters, would Sakurai bother to make a wholly different moveset for Lucas?
Sakurai: "Look, I switched out these two identical characters for purely stylistic reasons but I STILL MADE AN ENTIRELY NEW MOVESET ANYWAY!"

And their movesets are different. They share three specials (at least two of which have been changed up) and that's IT. Every other move they have is different. Mario and Luigi had more similarities between them in Melee (because they shared a few standard moves in addition to three special moves) than Lucas an Ness do now.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Pokemon Diamond didn't flop.. why isn't the Diamond kid there..

and if your going to say "itz becuz less impactor", well then why is Fox in his command look, rather than the more impacting 64 look.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Now we're arguing continuity? Fox is in his Command look because it's the most recent Star Fox installment, see how you're contradicting yourself? Command isn't a flop either, Generic Pokemon Trainers and Pokemon are a whole different story, specially when there's an anime involved.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Now we're arguing continuity? Fox is in his Command look because it's the most recent Star Fox installment, see how you're contradicting yourself? Command isn't a flop either, Generic Pokemon Trainers and Pokemon are a whole different story, specially when there's an anime involved.
The anime is not canon with anything, I dont see how or why you keep bringing it up. All the pokemon games are canon to each other due to small cameos, and references.

back to topic, Ness and Lucas have similar movesets but are not the same, there is no reason why they both can not be in the game especially since Sakurai has yet to denounce him as playable.

and to get to the root of this debate, nearly everything that is being used against Ness can easily be used for Ness. Meaning no matter how much you want everyone else to believe Ness is out you do not know for sure, and neither do we.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
How are the anime and the movies not canon when it is Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo the pokemon in Smash?

Ness is pretty much deconfirmed, you're just grasping now, you're bringing Fox into the argument for Christ's sakes!
How are the anime and movies canon to the games? explain..

You say "is pretty much deconfirmed" but it isnt 100%, so obviously you believe there is possibility he could return..

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Hey vesperview? I've got an idea. If you don't like the thread, stop filling it with your empty arguments.
Go to your cave where you can troll in peace...

vesperview

Smash Hero
Hey vesperview? I've got an idea. If you don't like the thread, stop filling it with your empty arguments.
Go to your cave where you can troll in peace...
Oh what a nice comeback from you, with that first post I don't know why you even opened this thread. "Oh let's all fantasize and be in denial about Ness's comeback" How pointless, I'd like to see you counter those arguments before you call them "empty", if this thread isn't open for any discussion or debate why the hell is here on the first place?

zSTACKz

Smash Cadet
thats what this thread is for fantasizing
hehehehehehehe
hee hee
wink
arguing is what vesperview lives for
:D

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Oh what a nice comeback from you, with that first post I don't know why you even opened this thread. "Oh let's all fantasize and be in denial about Ness's comeback" How pointless, I'd like to see you counter those arguments before you call them "empty", if this thread isn't open for any discussion or debate why the hell is here on the first place?
DUHHHHH let me think. didn't I say this is a place made to support Ness?
I'm sorry if i p*****d you off but I would like it if you stopped all these arguments.
I'm just trying to rally some support.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I stopped my debate with vesp because I realized for each reason he brought up against Ness I would just counter it for Ness, and he will keep going on and on... I fed the troll for Ness' sake.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i don't care what anybody says....i still beleive Ness will return. like you said DeuceBlade.....theres no real concrete evidence against him, not to mention i just don't see the point in replacing Ness, sure its great to have another MOTHER rep, but why replace the old one? and i beleive Sakurai said he didn't want to put too much emphisis on japan-only characters......which lucas is

vesperview

Smash Hero
OK, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but at this point I wouldn't want to see him in with a new moveset, maybe that's why I insist he isn't going to return, there's no point for a veteran to have to have his moveset remade if he's had it for two games.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Are you saying that Lucas is less "Worthy" Then ness ? Sakurai begs to differ :laugh: , His chances are still very low at this point through , Slim to none but there's still hope (Alt costume is also another method ? :p.)
Ness came first, Lucas is a clone of Ness. Sakurai is obviously into rope snakes, and blonde kids they are exotic to him thats why he likes Lucas more (<sarcasmism)

Top Bottom