• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ness Support Thread

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
No grudge, Lucas is a cool character. I kind of predicted the stick smash. If Ness is in, Lucas's fsmash might be a lot faster, but weaker.

But yes, Ness's chances are poor right now. If he does get in he'll just be a quickly thrown together character.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Yes evidentially Lucas is favored, and wanted by Sakurai, and with the new movie today I am even more on the fence about Ness' return... darn his f-smash.
let me tell you this much, when i saw the vid before the f smash he, does what seems to be ness's n-air, (the little spinny thing) then he hits with something, it s is not clearly visible if it is a BAT or not, because i know that lucas uses a stick in his series instead of a bat, this is just my opinion but if LUcas used a stick in the film, and not a bat, that gives Ness any little hope to return....

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Well ok, I thought you guys had something against Lucas, it kinda puzzled me. They were arguing about the movesets in the other, but what you just said was what we were trying to point out. It does look like that.
I just needed further proof they were similar, Sakurai gave that today... but I still would like to hear him either deconfirm or confirm Ness, because Up until now.. is not good enough for me..

however I am closer to the side of Ness being replaced due to this update.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
let me tell you this much, when i saw the vid before the f smash he, does what seems to be ness's n-air, (the little spinny thing) then he hits with something, it s is not clearly visible if it is a BAT or not, because i know that lucas uses a stick in his series instead of a bat, this is just my opinion but if LUcas used a stick in the film, and not a bat, that gives Ness any little hope to return....
But I doubt Sakurai will be making anything Luigified, or clone-like in Brawl. I mean, I expect Luigi too get a whole new moveset and abilities(via Mr. L)

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
But I doubt Sakurai will be making anything Luigified, or clone-like in Brawl. I mean, I expect Luigi too get a whole new moveset and abilities(via Mr. L)
luigi getting an entire new moveset is kind of "iffy" because essentially mario and luigi are TWINS in a sense, so its okay to have similar moves but:
so the fireball is a keeper
up B is a keeper
Luigis skull bash may get tweaked or replaced
and since mario is getting his F.L.U.D.D, its only fair that luigi get his Poltergeist 3000

and theire smash are attacks are different, so i dont see much change for luigi except maybe the side B

but who knows on Ness' case of retuning to brawl, mybe he is getting the curtain but we wont know until the Japanesse get the game before us and beat it within 24hrs lol
so yea

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Everytime I watch that little clip of Lucas in the subspace trailer.. he looks cooler and cooler.. I think if Ness is replaced he will probably fill the role well.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
Maybe you don't see much change, but I do. With Mr. L, he can have some new abilities to make him slip away from being similar to his brother.
But that's assuming that they'll even use any material from Super Paper Mario, which I think is perhaps hoping for too much.

I mean, thus far in Smash Bros. whenever we've had characters that were playable, the characters were made to stick with the context of what was given to them in their mainstream titles, as opposed to spin-offs. Any thing that could be considered "original content" has been stuff that's primarily been crafted by the Smash team themselves (this would include the likes of Giga Bowser).

So, again, I wouldn't expect to see Mr. L, any more than I would expect to see Peach suddenly get the power to flood the a stage with her tears, taking an ability from her "Super Princess Peach" appearance.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I get what you're saying, but if they want to go about making Luigi unique or different in terms of smash. That would be a perfect way to do so.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
I get what you're saying, but if they want to go about making Luigi unique or different in terms of smash. That would be a perfect way to do so.
Agreed on that much.

Frankly, I often wish that they would utilize material from each character's individual appearances. For example, back before Melee was released, I often hoped that Bowser would have the ability to throw out MechaKoopas (SMW), or fling around a Chain Chomp (SMRPG), among other things.

But again, Sakurai seems to be of the opinion that sticking as close to the original source material, and THEN making his own twists, is the way to go about things. And I suppose it's a valid choice, giving that it's his game, but I always had certain hopes for characters that, sadly, will just never be realized.

Of course, speaking of Sakurai doing his own "twists" on characters, what if the way that we DO get Ness back in this game...was if he was totally revamped from his original standing?

I mean, picture it...now that Lucas takes over the role of being the "lil psychic kid", maybe that opens up the possibility for Ness to be something different altogether. Perhaps as a teenage/20-something slugger with a more "mature" air about him, and even more bad-*** psychic abilities than before? Or maybe he joined a band, like the Runaway Five, in the time since he was able to "grow up", and just has a different style altogether?

I dunno, I would think the skies would be the limit, as long as Sakurai got Itoh's "OK!" about such a thing, just like he probably had to get the nod from Miyamoto to introduce such a thing like Giga Bowser.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I don't expect Sakurai to do that. It looks as if he is putting more focus on Mother 3 for Brawl, something he's probably wanted to since Melee. I'm not saying Ness is deconfirmed, but his chances now, look to be very slim.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
Possibly so.

But I would think that, with Ness still being as much of a recognizable face as he is, to dispense with him fully would be akin to getting rid of Marth, just because Ike's here already. In both cases, the predecessor character/seasoned veteran still does a lot to represent what the series is all about to a lot of people.

So, my train of thought leads to believe that, even if we couldn't have Ness verbatim, I wouldn't exactly be at all opposed to a re-launch of the character himself. If Pokey was allowed to become an old man by Mother 3, surely they could allow Ness to grow up some what for his revamp in Smash.

Besides, it's pretty much the only way I could imagine Ness coming back to the party, without so much being a model swap of Lucas.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
I don't expect Sakurai to do that. It looks as if he is putting more focus on Mother 3 for Brawl, something he's probably wanted to since Melee. I'm not saying Ness is deconfirmed, but his chances now, look to be very slim.
Glad to see you've turned around and finally admitting that he isn't deconfirmed.

But I'm afraid I have to agree now, seeing the new baseball bat smash by Lucas in the new SSE movie... Ness' chances are diminishing.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Glad to see you've turned around and finally admitting that he isn't deconfirmed.

But I'm afraid I have to agree now, seeing the new baseball bat smash by Lucas in the new SSE movie... Ness' chances are diminishing.
I never said he was deconfirmed. I've always known and said Ness had a chance, maybe it didn't seem that way when we were arguing, but I've known he had chances. My argument was not that he was deconfirmed, but that he wouldn't make it to the final roster. His chances are getting lower though, I don't know if he has much of a chance right now.

vesperview

Smash Hero
oh wow

Look at this poll, "who is your favorite Mother character?"

Ninten - 8 votes
Lucas - 15 votes
Mr.Saturn - 70 votes
Ness - 93 votes

You got to give Ness credit... he's still pretty popular.
How many times do I have to tell you people that Ness has a bigger fanbase due to the Smash series and not his own game? Just wait after Brawl and Lucas will be on same ground.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Ness has a bigger fanbase partly because he's easier to relate to; he's a permanently silent protagonist while Lucas gets some speaking parts, he's a pretty open ended character so it's easier to picture yourself in his shoes (which according to the official player's guide is what Nintendo was going for), and his game has nostalgia built right in which makes it hard to de-root Ness from being popular.

Sure the Smash series increased his popularity, but it didn't start it.

Also, @MetaSonic: You have so said he was deconfirmed, tons of times. Things like "Get over it, he's not in the game" and just a couple pages back saying "Yep, I think that speaks pretty clearly" about Lucas having a similar but different fsmash. Even if that's not what you've meant, you've still said it. =p

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Ness has a bigger fanbase partly because he's easier to relate to; he's a permanently silent protagonist while Lucas gets some speaking parts, he's a pretty open ended character so it's easier to picture yourself in his shoes (which according to the official player's guide is what Nintendo was going for), and his game has nostalgia built right in which makes it hard to de-root Ness from being popular.

Sure the Smash series increased his popularity, but it didn't start it.

Also, @MetaSonic: You have so said he was deconfirmed, tons of times. Things like "Get over it, he's not in the game" and just a couple pages back saying "Yep, I think that speaks pretty clearly" about Lucas having a similar but different fsmash.
Well sorry then, but I still knows he has a chance. Very very small chance at that. People will say certain things depending on how the argument is going.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Lucas is a cool character. He looks fun to play as. I hope at LEAST that Ness is a costume change. But I would miss the Yo-Yo, PK Flash and his baseball bat (not stick).

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
I thought the color changes update confirmed that there aren't any alternate costumes. Pikachu has hats and Peach into Daisy just seems like more color changes since there both similar in appearance.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
I think he means that NO Ness has been a fighter in previous games and does not deserve to be a "costume".

Same with "I know make ness an assist trophy"

either hes in or hes out, hopefully a fighter like he should be.

Wow, that seems pretty vindictive.

If he's not his own character and I feel like playing Ness, I'm not gonna care about "standards". I'm playing as Lucas w/ Ness' cap and shirt.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I hope there are some clones.. :X think about it.. they do make things a bit more interesting...

I think clones would make sense as long as they come from the same franchise like Marth/roy ... but not like CFalcon/ganondorf

This would be cool for Ness/Lucas...

but odds are Sakurai won't put clones again >.>

verditude

Smash Journeyman
Up until now?

Why do people still think the phrase "up until now" excludes Ness? They obviously don't pay attention to Sakurai's linguistic syntax. I'll quote myself:

The "up until now" argument is stupid. When Sakurai announces a character, he does so using language as if the character's inclusion in Brawl was simultaneous with his announcement.

An example is PT. Sakurai said "The Pokemon Trainer has finally arrived," which sounds like PT was not in Brawl untl he was announced. Ness has not been announced, so, in Sakurai-speak, Ness is not in Brawl.

So, when he says Ness has appeared up until now, he means Ness hasn't been announced yet, so he's not in yet. It doesn't preclude the possibility of him being put in (read: announced) later.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
Why do people still think the phrase "up until now" excludes Ness? They obviously don't pay attention to Sakurai's linguistic syntax. I'll quote myself:
Well said. Not to mention that the original JP context is something quite different from the "up until now" line any way, rendering it more of a moot point than anything else.

Top Bottom