• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ness Support Thread

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Hyrule Temple doesn't represent OoT Link, its just a setting near hyrule castle. If anything it represents Zelda, and Great Bay or whatever its called represents Link.

Onett represents Ness.
Onett represents Mother not Ness. You can't say that a stage raises any chances for any character, b/c some stages aren't even repped by a character. I suppose if Sakurai updates an Angel Island stage to go with the music, that will raise Knuckle's chances? As much as I would like for it to be true, it isn't.

Macc

Smash Rookie
Macc the Master of Cheese supports Ness and his triumphant return to brawl!

Besides, who else is the embodiment of who I was as a kid? A chubby child who wears striped shirts shorts and has a fixation towards baseball... Oh yeah, its Ness baby!

Macc out

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Hyrule Temple doesn't represent OoT Link, its just a setting near hyrule castle. If anything it represents Zelda, and Great Bay or whatever its called represents Link.

Onett represents Ness.
I Could easily go on but the point of fact is that Newcomer stages have more of an outplay (Mario with Sunshine and [Probably galaxy], Link with TP, And Lucas says hi with pork city.) But it really doesen't do much, It might make his chances a tiny bit brighter.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I don't think that bringing up a stage means something.

Look at Animal Crossing, it got a stage, and still didn't got a single rep.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that bringing up a stage means something.

Look at Animal Crossing, it got a stage, and still didn't got a single rep.
It's a bit premature to say whether AC has yet to have a rep or not, I would think. We still don't know the full roster. As of right now, the only stage that stands to have NO representation in the playable roster, in the least, is Pictochat (for obvious reasons).

Onett represents Mother not Ness. You can't say that a stage raises any chances for any character...
But it's really not the same thing, as it is in a number of other camps.

For the likes of Pokemon, Mario, Star Fox and Zelda, a bunch of the old stages takes place in the same "world/context" as the new, thus making it so that the likes of "Melee-Corneria" and "Rainbow Cruise" could fit in just fine, with any recent StarFox and Mario stages.

However, Mother 2 takes place in an entirely different world, separate from its sequel. Therefore, it wouldn't make such sense it to be all "banded together" under the one banner of Mother, especially when we do not have a precedent for such.

I mean, was there any Mother 1 representation in Smash, besides one song? Nope, sure wasn't, the game's focus was on Mother 2. And I'm sure, as we all know by now, song selections have no bearing on what gets represented in Brawl, either.

So, it's my opinion that this particular stage raises Ness's chances up by at LEAST a margin. Now, whether it will be the Ness we remember from Melee, or some otherwise revamp of the character, that will have to remain to be seen...

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Or maybe the stage is just the only Mother stage that was in Melee and therefore the Sakurai wanted to bring it back along with other stages to add to a diverse selection in Brawl.

The presence of Onett does not necessarily demand that Ness returns. If they had a stage based on a Mother area, would that make Ninten a likely candidate for Brawl?

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
they maybe just wanted a Mother past stage, and Fourside and Onett are just in Ness world, I'm not saying that I wont come nack, I'm just saying that the stage thing doesnt change nothing
True.

Just like Lucas appearing and having a similar moveset to Ness' also doesn't change anything regarding Ness' position in Brawl.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and forgot to say.

You Ness haters are just ****ing dumb as hell.

First you've been using the argument that ALL mother items, characters and levels are from MOTHER 3, and that focus on the newer game meant that Ness was out.

Now that it appears that MOTHER 3 isn't the only one represented in the franchise, you're suddenly completely ignoring your own logic. Now you say it doesn't mean anything? IT MEANT **** TO YOU BEFORE, STOP ****ING DENYING IT!

YOUR OWN ****ING LOGIC HAS BEEN PROVEN FALSE, AND YET YOU'RE TOO ****ING ARROGANT AND STUPID TO ADMIT IT!

I'm aware that the inclusion of Onett doesn't automatically mean Ness is in, but it certainly raises his chances.

But you guys are seriously hopeless, you're completely going against your own past arguments. **** ****ING HYPOCRITES!

Please ****ing kill yourself so your stupidity can't contribute any further in the human race in future generations. Thank you and good night.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Oh, and forgot to say.

First you've been using the argument that ALL mother items, characters and levels are from MOTHER 3, and that focus on the newer game meant that Ness was out.

Now that it appears that MOTHER 3 isn't the only one represented in the franchise, you're suddenly completely ignoring your own logic. Now you say it doesn't mean anything? IT MEANT **** TO YOU BEFORE, STOP ****ING DENYING IT!

YOUR OWN ****ING LOGIC HAS BEEN PROVEN FALSE, AND YET YOU'RE TOO ****ING ARROGANT AND STUPID TO ADMIT IT!

I'm aware that the inclusion of Onett doesn't automatically mean Ness is in, but it certainly raises his chances.

But you guys are seriously hopeless, you're completely going against your own past arguments. **** ****ING HYPOCRITES!

Please ****ing kill yourself so your stupidity can't contribute any further in the human race in future generations. Thank you and good night.
ok
10 char

vesperview

Smash Hero
Oh, and forgot to say.

Wow, someone forgot to take his medication.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
The presence of Onett does not necessarily demand that Ness returns. If they had a stage based on a Mother area, would that make Ninten a likely candidate for Brawl?
But that really doesn't make any sense, because Ninten, or any Mother 1 material (besides what I noted in my earlier post) actually made it in Smash before.

Onett's not a signed guarantee waiver for Ness's inclusion. However, as a number of others have just stated, it does more to not completely discredit him, either.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh, and forgot to say.

Uh, fanboy much? Also, it appears that every franchise from the last game will be represented with a stage from Melee and given that, it'd HAVE to be from Earthbound because that was the only Mother game really represented in Melee. With that said, it doesn't play any role in Ness's chances. Also, from what I've been told, Onett is in Mother 3 too so the town is not exclusive to just Earthbound.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
Uh, fanboy much?
What's that got to do with it?

I'm merely pointing out that Ness haters have completely discarded their own argument.
So argueing with them is kinda pointless because they don't stand by their points. They just brush it off as unimportant when they're proven wrong.

THAT is what's bugging me. But hey, I guess if you don't know how to rebuttal you can brush my post off as just another fanboy right? Good tactic! Props to you. :dizzy:

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Also, from what I've been told, Onett is in Mother 3 too so the town is not exclusive to just Earthbound.
Oh my god you've been told so wrong it makes me want to cry or dance on the grave of your ancestors a little bit over a light meal.

Please look into things before saying "lol i wuz told this". I bet you'd believe it if you were told a Mario cameo was in MOTHER3, too.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Uh, fanboy much? Also, it appears that every franchise from the last game will be represented with a stage from Melee and given that, it'd HAVE to be from Earthbound because that was the only Mother game really represented in Melee.
I didn't see it from that perspective, could be true.

Also, from what I've been told, Onett is in Mother 3 too so the town is not exclusive to just Earthbound.
That made me lol, the one who told you that is a ******.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Onett represents Mother 2 and Ness.

I believe they are just bringing stages back though... not for specific characters.. just to bring them back..... I wish they bring back Saffron City.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would've prefered Fourside. I like it better. It's like Saffron City except it's flipped horizontally (and added UFO, minus Pokemon. lol).

I love fighting on top of skyscrapers. :D Walljumping off buildings is awesome.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I would've prefered Fourside. I like it better. It's like Saffron City except it's flipped horizontally (and added UFO, minus Pokemon. lol).

I love fighting on top of skyscrapers. :D Walljumping off buildings is asesome.
Fourside was a boring version of Saffron City, Who didn't love it when charmander came out of the top of the building lul

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I've been peekin' in on this thread for awhile, and finally registered to post.

I don't know the degree to which this has been pointed out, but Lucas's moves--even the ones said to be the same--are quite different from Ness's.

PK Fire- Shooting straight forward in the air may not seem like a big change, but as someone who uses that downward angle ALL THE TIME, I say it is. Personally, I think the move's better when it aims downwards and allows for more traps and surprises. Why change it unless it's to make Lucas stand out as different? The explosion is also angled forward more, making certain kind of escapes trickier. In other words? A different move.

PK Freeze/Flash- They operate on the same principle, but are really completely different moves. One freezes, one instant KO's, and PK Freeze seems to come out much faster than PK Flash.

PK Magnet - Lucas's is set forward more, leaving him vulnerable from behind, (or so it appears). Ness's has always encircled him completely. The two moves may also have different speeds of activation/deactivation.

PK Thunder/Recovery- Now, this is just speculation, but Lucas's positioning when he uses this move makes me suspicious. He seems surrounded by much more energy than Ness ever was, and is posed in such a way that makes me think he's not going anywhere. Could it be that Lucas doesn't fall in mid-air when using PK Thunder as a recovery? The before/after shots don't show enough of a difference to verify one way or the other on this, but I just have a feeling ...

I also wanted to mention that so far Lucas doesn't have any yoyos, and wields a stick instead of a bat.

To me, there's just too many differences. If Lucas is Ness's replacement, why should he play like a completely different character? Why change so much if Ness isn't in the game? It just seems like they're trying to define him as different from Ness so that including both is worthwhile. Also, there's certain other characters I fully expect to return who haven't been confirmed yet, (Falcon, Ganondorf, Luigi), so having Ness confirmed so late, or else not officially confirmed until he appears in the game, seems a strong possibility.

I also find Onett's return encouraging ...

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
To me, there's just too many differences. If Lucas is Ness's replacement, why should he play like a completely different character? Why change so much if Ness isn't in the game? It just seems like they're trying to define him as different from Ness so that including both is worthwhile. Also, there's certain other characters I fully expect to return who haven't been confirmed yet, (Falcon, Ganondorf, Luigi), so having Ness confirmed so late, or else not officially confirmed until he appears in the game, seems a strong possibility.

I also find Onett's return encouraging ...
Couldn't agree more.

Also, I think now with Olimar filling the last newcomer slot on the DOJO's roster we won't get any new character updates until the game is released. So none of the classic unlockables have been unvealed yet, this is good news for Ness.

I admit I doubted his chances for a while, but I have renewed faith in the little guy returning. Only a few weeks left and we'll know for sure. :)

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Olimar's update increases Ness' Return!!

-Just Kidding-

But seriously, It seems like tons of characters may get in, and who knows the roster may be bigger than any of us can expect.... I think Ness still has a chance to return.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It decreases the chances of lame-o unoriginal inclusions, since practically every newcomer is innovative.

Olimar was a brilliant inclusion, even if half of me is not all that excited, it was a smart move. New franchises FTW!

Top Bottom