• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEOH Thread - OP updated what?????

Bead

Smash Ace
What school?
I could prob have smashfests at Kent Geauga. We have the tvs for it and I do work there and control the tvs. and im also on really good terms with my boss/assisstant dean

solecalibur

Smash Master
How far is that from lazor tag , I can ask my parents (again >.> ) if it means driving 20 minutes from lazer tag (where ever that is )

Sym

Smash Rookie
During the summer I would frequent a coffee bar in Parma (i think?) called Common Grounds. You'd just show up with a Wii and some controllers and play all night on some TV's they had sitting out. There's tons of people there, so you end up playing with some random (and often quite good) people.

They did some remodeling recently, the TV's were moved and unplugged last time I went. Did they move them back, or are they gone for good? Does anyone else still frequent it?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Common Grounds is on the west side of Cleveland, about 10 minutes down the street from me. It's not a good spot for Smash at all.

There are two (three?) TVs, one or two are usually taken by other people with other games right off the bat, and at night they play music at an annoyingly loud volume.

Sym

Smash Rookie
I've never had trouble getting a TV there. Anyway, it's the closest thing we have in cleveland to a lan center, and the only place I know of that you can meet random smashers. Its not hard to time out the music either, probably good practice if you're going to attend a crowded tournament.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Meh...tournament hype is different from obnoxious music in so many ways lol (not like it happens in the Midwest anyway since it's so passive here). You're right, it's the closest thing we have to a LAN center, but I'm still looking for better places for us to play.

Sym

Smash Rookie
Do you think Independence would be too far for most people? I could arrange something there pretty easily.

Getting permission from administrators/owners/parents for these things is so awkward. "So you met them... on the internet? All you're going to do is... play video games?"

King~

Smash Champion
i wouldnt consider independance to far from anyone other than canton, and its still closer than where the TYM venue was for them

solecalibur

Smash Master
I might just go lazer tagging anyways (1hr30min drive is no prob just have a lot of things to do when im home this weekend)

Bead

Smash Ace
Okay, so my school. Tis in Burton, which is kinda out of the way but it would have everything required for a good size tourney. There have been other Wii game tourneys here (lol) There are 8 tvs here. Each one would have a couch. Then if we needed more tv's we could use the projectors in any of the rooms. Lots of room, close to food. Lots of parking. But again the only problem would be the distance. It's about 20 mins NE of me and I'm still decently NE of people. About 20 mins from Twinsburg is where I live, so like 40 mins from where SYGU was.

I could also try and figure out if Kent would be able to host. I know they have lots of tv's and parking and stuff and its more middle location (plus parties and ladies lol) but yeah. What do you guys think?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Sole, from my house, laser tag is 15-20 minutes. It's pretty close. (And highway = cutting down time :'D)
Im gonna ask when my mom gets home about having a mini smashfest friday and then laser tag afterwards (place closes at around 11)
If she agrees, i'll probably need to know how many people would be coming before wednesday or thursday just to make sure i'd be able to acquire more setups n such (and to make sure there's enough room...people who came over a few weeks ago know i can only have so many people sitting in my basement...and upstairs TV is HD...so PS3 only)

Independence isnt too far from meh :o I drive through there for ski club!

Oh oh oh! Scheduled a day to meet with the dean of students!!~ Thursday after school i will start HOPEFULLY planning a tournament!

EDIT: Asked. Most likely, i'll be able to have people over. But i'll DEF need to know who is coming by like...tomorrow or wednesday. Thursday at the latest xD Then i'll send details.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Independence and the location Bead is talking about both seem good. The slightly varying locations can be good to ultimately attract the attention of our neighbors who are closer to those areas which will be good for getting the chance to play a bunch of different people/matchups, and to give everyone a taste of NEOH (take that as you will, lol). Go for it!

Meanwhile, my search for an amazing venue somewhere on the East/West side of core Cleveland continues.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Def up for this location , seeing if i can gather a couple of people other then crum and my gf

solecalibur

Smash Master
ya pretty much shooting pew pew's

address : 13409 Smith Road Middleburg Heights, OH 44130
(if you followed the link u'd know )

Bead

Smash Ace
I'm pretty hyped up about this laser tag thing. I was talking to Sol, who plays Ike/Ness but isnt really in the tourney scene, he's been to SYGU a couple times, and he wants to go and bring some of his Kent friends (which includes women ;) I hope this is alright with everybody. I figure, hey the more the merrier right?

Also, reading on the site there are group deals and wondering maybe we can do something like that. I figure, hey why not have things like this more often. Like Friday have a social night and then Saturday have a tourney. I vote next time we do something like this we invite all Smashers/friends

Will there be a smashfest after? If so I can bring a full setup =)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Awesome suggestion Bead. That could really help us get started on building the scene's core numbers. Good stuff. :3

Social/smashfest idea on Fridays also sounds great. Can't wait until we can transition those into tourneys the following day so we're all prepped and ready to go.

I'll talk to some people I know around my area who aren't particularly into the scene yet either. Some of them actually have quite a bit of potential from what I've seen.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Denzi can speak blue flightless bird, so i think he's ready for this.

Smashfest before probably...gotta respect the fact that my dad is going outta town for a few days and will be coming back friday night. He'll need sleep (or i'll have to deal with him being a cranky meanieface), so it's probably best to have everyone getting ready to laser tag a bit after he gets home XD

Smashfest fridays would be super fun x3

So i need to make a list of who shall be coming to the smashfest, the laser tagging, or both....
I seriously am a littttle anxious about how many people i can have over...but i kind of want my family to get used to the brawl scene so i can travel more n whatnot (they already thought the group who came over a few weeks ago is trustworthy xD)

And setups would be nice!! <3 I can probably fit more TVs in the basement and take over the garage by setting up chairs n stuff. Upstairs TV is probably gonna be off limits if my parents decide to not go out to dinner...so BrazBroo is only a maybe at this point.

Bead

Smash Ace
Awesome suggestion Bead. That could really help us get started on building the scene's core numbers. Good stuff. :3

Social/smashfest idea on Fridays also sounds great. Can't wait until we can transition those into tourneys the following day so we're all prepped and ready to go.
We want to build a NEOH smash scene to be respectable. Everybody likes to go to Nopes for the "Saturday Night Fever" So hey, this works for his tourney =D The only problem with this is having a place to have adult time. A venue for a tourney is one thing, but the other is a bit diferent. We would also have to switch up the pre-tourney event. Laser tag over and over would be boring a repeatative. But then again maybe people will absolutly love laser tag. Maybe a poll or something for the pre-event. Housing would also be a problem if lots of people started to come up for that.

Neoh, what do you think about that?

Also, how do you make your text be colors?

Smashfest before probably...

Smashfest fridays would be super fun x3

So i need to make a list of who shall be coming to the smashfest, the laser tagging, or both....
Smashfest before sounds fine with me. Not quite sure how many NEOH people would be able to earlier but I'm free after 1 on Fri.

For the smashfest it would be me and MAYBE 1 more person, but more then likely just me.
For laser tag. Me, Sol, and like a max of 8. More then likely it will be about 3-5 people (me included)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
We want to build a NEOH smash scene to be respectable. Everybody likes to go to Nopes for the "Saturday Night Fever" So hey, this works for his tourney =D The only problem with this is having a place to have adult time. A venue for a tourney is one thing, but the other is a bit diferent. We would also have to switch up the pre-tourney event. Laser tag over and over would be boring a repeatative. But then again maybe people will absolutly love laser tag. Maybe a poll or something for the pre-event. Housing would also be a problem if lots of people started to come up for that.

Neoh, what do you think about that?

Also, how do you make your text be colors?
Lol I said social as in "already open to varying activities"; whether it be laser tag, bowling, a trip out to eat, or even just regular hanging out, whatever people are up for.

Housing...won't be easy to overcome. Our best bet at the moment would be to find a hotel to serve as a venue, maybe charge $10 venue fee instead of $5, and as compensation try to score some kind of deal on a certain amount of rooms for the people who need to be housed. As far as I know, hotels have a pretty successful track record when it comes to tournaments being hosted in their ballrooms. EC does it quite frequently AFAIK. Thoughts?

To make your text a certain color, just look above where you would post a quick/advanced reply, look for the letter "A" with the thick black line underneath, and pick your color.

Bead

Smash Ace
Lol I said social as in "already open to varying activities"; whether it be laser tag, bowling, a trip out to eat, or even just regular hanging out, whatever people are up for.

Housing...won't be easy to overcome. Our best bet at the moment would be to find a hotel to serve as a venue, maybe charge $10 venue fee instead of $5, and as compensation try to score some kind of deal on a certain amount of rooms for the people who need to be housed. As far as I know, hotels have a pretty successful track record when it comes to tournaments being hosted in their ballrooms. EC does it quite frequently AFAIK. Thoughts?

To make your text a certain color, just look above where you would post a quick/advanced reply, look for the letter "A" with the thick black line underneath, and pick your color.
Magenta is awesome.
Times like these I wish I had a clean/warm/carpeted basement
$10 venue fee would scare ppl away though. I remember when ppl were saying Seasons Beatings was a rip off cuz the venue was $10.
People tend to stick with $5 as the venue and are happy with it.

Unless we can find a really really good deal with a hotel and make it so the $5 venue would actually pay it off. If not (with a little bit of help) could spruce up my basement and make it habitable.

If the Kent venue requires a cost to rent it out then venue would have to go towards that. I have to talk to my boss about using it still. Shes been busy since shes assisstant dean atm and becoming dean next fall.

Having a venue fee i believe there should be a use for money, such as food or something.
$10 bucks can get a large pepperoni pizza which can feed 2-4. I'm sure if we put a limit or something on food or w/e people would want to come also. I figure for a $5 venue fee $1-2 would go towards doing TO/host stuff and the other $3-4 would be returned somehow. Food/drinks ect

I still think that a poll for the pre-event would be useful and then take suggestions and add to the poll or w/e

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Anytime after...4:15 is probably good for people to come over. School til 3:05...takes 15-20 minutes to get home...then i gotta make arrangements to get some snacks at least.

NEOH is a really urban area...we'll find some great options if we stay persistent!!

GREAT NORTHERN MALL GOT 3D PUTT PUTT. That could be a fun idea xD -really wants to go there-

Bead

Smash Ace
If we gonna make NEOH smash scene bigger we need to advertise.
If somebody can make a flier or something to help out with that and then post a copy of it so everybody can print it out and help post that would be awesome. Schools, malls, Panera like stores, grocery stores, things like that. We need to recruit!!!

solecalibur

Smash Master
I coulddd open up my house (dad's house most likely Im sure your ok with that)
for smashfest but I wouldnt expect you guys there past midnight probly and what time should we arrive at your house for lazer tag (or meet at venue)?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Mom says 5 is probably the earliest people can come over.
Im suprised she's even allowing this, honestly XD

Oh, i can make fliers. Heck, we should leave one at laser xtreme if theyd let us.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Haha totalllyyyyyyy xD

She's soooo talkative. It's scary. Luckily, you didn't go to Penn State, or she'd never let you leave xD

Kronar

Smash Cadet
Friday works great for me cause I just learned I have stuff to do on Saturday. XD

SMASHFEST WHAT!? I'm in, still need to figure out if my friend is free or not. I haven't been able to play anyone in a couple weeks and I need practice. haha So unless I missed something it's looking like smashfest then lazor tag, amirite?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Yepyep! Coolbeans. I'll add ya to the list.
So far...looks like Sole, Sole's gf, Crum, KB, Bead, Kronar, Suyon (maybe), Denzi, maybe our random friend 'The Colonel' (Yeah, thats his nickname. It's kind of really winsauce), my demon of a little sister (possibly...she wouldnt miss an excuse for me to take her to laser xtreme), and myself.
Missing anyone?

Edit: Woahhh way to ninja me, KB.
Lol at least she wasnt a bother. That's always a relief.
MAYBE SHE'LL GET US SNACKS AGAIN.

King~

Smash Champion
just a thought

suyon mentioned to me that the fun and stuff up the street/around the corner from where i live/lived may have rooms for rent in which you can host a tournament.

they also have alot of other teenage crap to do if you like, i just rembered about it if someone wants to look into that

i think it would be a really good draw for OOC people

Top Bottom