• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
Puff is quite clearly a joke character by design and has been since the dawn of Smash. Indicators being most of her specials, her custom moves, weight, and interesting shield break mechanic. I'm not surprised by the fact that they aren't actively making her more competitively viable, she is not intended to be.
Yet despite being a joke character there was a clear effort given to make her balanced and viable(or at least when the game came out she was) They even gave her a character archetype as an aerial master glass cannon who looks weak, but is surprisingly deadly. When the second part of the archetype does not fit correctly then they should feel the need to change it

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Yet despite being a joke character there was a clear effort given to make her balanced and viable(or at least when the game came out she was) They even gave her a character archetype as an aerial master glass cannon who looks weak, but is surprisingly deadly. When the second part of the archetype does not fit correctly then they should feel the need to change it
Holy **** dude like just stop. If you seriously think jiggs is a good character i truly feel sorry for u, but im going to give u the benefit of the doubt and say that you're just memeing really hard.

She's not a glass cannon when she literally gets punished for pushing buttons with a powershield > charged upsmash every time she does so. Hell most characters can punish her even hitting them at ANY percent.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Holy **** dude like just stop. If you seriously think jiggs is a good character i truly feel sorry for u, but im going to give u the benefit of the doubt and say that you're just memeing really hard.

She's not a glass cannon when she literally gets punished for pushing buttons with a powershield > charged upsmash every time she does so. Hell most characters can punish her even hitting them at ANY percent.
Pretty much sums up Smash 4 Jiggs perfectly. She's such an unfortunate character...

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
MK likely isnt going to be getting anything because mk mains keep winning ****.

(if id ask of anything tho, it would be for uair's hitbox to cover the whole sword, so that it could be used as a landing aerial, and maybe a slightly longer dtilt)

(oh and i would like to be rid of mks disgusting 1.5 sdi multiplier)
About getting rid of the SDI multiplier, was there ever an instance where the developers scaled back or at least partially undid a nerf?

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Lucina Main, Emblem Boards happens, gets Fem Corrin Avatar. WHAT IS THIS GARBAGE? *Ahem* That's quite the missed opportunity if I do say so myself.

On a more related note, I still have hopes for MK. 1 combo loss is nothing, we've still got plenty of options, plus the fair buff has proven quite nice.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Pretty sure avatars are randomized.
But I got lucky enough with Azura ♥
:196:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I come back to see you guys getting trolled like there is no tomorrow.. Welp.

I'm switching to Mewtwo I think.. 6 frames fair that does 13 damage and hit like a truck, we take those. He also has a better MU vs Rosa than MK. (At least our Rosa)

Still gonna go MK in the next monthly since it's doubles but idk. I can still KO well with DA>SL and F-throw>SL and stutter step F-smash but eh.. I'm just not feeling him anymore. ):

Dying really early with Mewtwo feels super weird tho... 2nd lightest character.

Its also weird that I switched to MK than Abadango did, I switched to Mewtwo and I find that he did too. My top tier sensors are strong :b

Edit: Ike.. Not bad.

Last edited:

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Got 9th out of 34 at my college tournament this weekend, went all MK. There's room for improvement, going to keep working at it.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I went and labbed the tumble animation %s on the cast(dont have Lucas, don't care about Miis), the Uair is fresh. Staleness and Rage effects when the opponent enters tumble which is a shame, fetching these numbers is possible but A) Time consumption is off the chart B) Its impossible to present it in a way in which others can benefit from. Way too many numbers to remember.

39%: :4jigglypuff:
40%: :4gaw::4mewtwo:
41%: :4fox::4kirby::rosalina::4pikachu::4olimar:
42%: :4falco::4littlemac::4metaknight::4zss::4sheik:
43%: :4bayonetta::4zelda:
44%: :4duckhunt::4marth::4lucina::4robinm::4feroy::4peach::4palutena:
45%: :4diddy::4greninja::4ness::4sonic::4tlink::4pacman:
46%: :4corrinf::4pit::4darkpit::4mario::4drmario::4lucario::4villager::4luigi::4wiifit:
47%: :4cloud::4megaman::4rob::4shulk::4ryu:
48%: :4myfriends::4falcon::4link::4yoshi::4wario:
49%: :4samus::4bowserjr:
50%: :4dedede::4ganondorf:
51%: :4charizard:
52%: :4dk:
54%: :4bowser:

When your opponent is in tumble they can easily SDI the Uairs, but when they aren't they cannot SDI or at least its weaker(someone confirm). Rosalina for example dies to Uair combos before she enters tumble, with every Uair staling the percent where she enters tumble moves further away as well.

The nerfs sucks ******** man. SFV is hella addicting tho and i got Alex so its all good.

Freakzoid9000MS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lukeduke5456
I went and labbed the tumble animation %s on the cast(dont have Lucas, don't care about Miis), the Uair is fresh. Staleness and Rage effects when the opponent enters tumble which is a shame, fetching these numbers is possible but A) Time consumption is off the chart B) Its impossible to present it in a way in which others can benefit from. Way too many numbers to remember.

39%: :4jigglypuff:
40%: :4gaw::4mewtwo:
41%: :4fox::4kirby::rosalina::4pikachu::4olimar:
42%: :4falco::4littlemac::4metaknight::4zss::4sheik:
43%: :4bayonetta::4zelda:
44%: :4duckhunt::4marth::4lucina::4robinm::4feroy::4peach::4palutena:
45%: :4diddy::4greninja::4ness::4sonic::4tlink::4pacman:
46%: :4corrinf::4pit::4darkpit::4mario::4drmario::4lucario::4villager::4luigi::4wiifit:
47%: :4cloud::4megaman::4rob::4shulk::4ryu:
48%: :4myfriends::4falcon::4link::4yoshi::4wario:
49%: :4samus::4bowserjr:
50%: :4dedede::4ganondorf:
51%: :4charizard:
52%: :4dk:
54%: :4bowser:

When your opponent is in tumble they can easily SDI the Uairs, but when they aren't they cannot SDI or at least its weaker(someone confirm). Rosalina for example dies to Uair combos before she enters tumble, with every Uair staling the percent where she enters tumble moves further away as well.

The nerfs sucks ******** man. SFV is hella addicting tho and i got Alex so its all good.
This info is very useful and can be used to prove people wrong who think the Uair combos that we post here aren't true or won't work against a good player. Very nice work. I may try to help you with figuring out rage and staleness effects with the Uair as well when I lab since I lab everyday pretty much for about 30 mins to an hour.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Memess ahhhhh

Bayo isnt even that hard to deal with, learn the mu and stop playing so afraid lol

That said Lucia was pretty unimpressive prepatch so hes going to be pretty unimpressive post patch as well

Also lol @ the possibility that rosa loses the mk mu harder than before, love it.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
They nerf the character but end up making MU(s) better by a little bit. Fair is super useful in that MU and instead of dying below 10% she dies around 17-20%. Almost as if they want MK to beat her.

Hope they can expand further on this Fair buff next patch.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Fair needs just 2 more less frames of lag to make it really, really good in a short-hop. There's a chance they'll give move landing lag buffs considering they reduced the lag on M2's aerials over multiple patches.

I was very surprised to see they didn't go only with nerfs and actually gave a token buff. Shows the devs aren't brainlessly throwing nerfs out.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Fair needs just 2 more less frames of lag to make it really, really good in a short-hop. There's a chance they'll give move landing lag buffs considering they reduced the lag on M2's aerials over multiple patches.

I was very surprised to see they didn't go only with nerfs and actually gave a token buff. Shows the devs aren't brainlessly throwing nerfs out.
Which is a good thing but he deserves more. 4 frames off an aerial isn't gonna make up for losing a death combo but it's still nice. Hopefully, next patch they can fix some of his longtime issues by reducing landing lag on more of his aerials and maybe fixing some hitboxes (D-tilt).

But, more than that, I'm really hoping Bayo gets a nerf.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you guys already discussed it, but what do you think about Bidou for MK? I am not 100% certain of its restrictions but I know that being proficient in the air is much harder with such a control scheme. My biggest concern though is the u-air combos b/c sometimes you need to follow their DI and fastfall at the same time, something that is seemingly impossible with Bidou. I will more than likely not use it, but I'm interested in what you guys think.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Which is a good thing but he deserves more. 4 frames off an aerial isn't gonna make up for losing a death combo but it's still nice. Hopefully, next patch they can fix some of his longtime issues by reducing landing lag on more of his aerials and maybe fixing some hitboxes (D-tilt).
No character deserves to be better than others. What gives MK the right in particular? The way character hierarchy comes about is entirely down to the raw characteristics that they have when designed. It isn't to do with where they used to be, despite the fact that people argue this point all the time, about their character being high tier or low tier in past games/patches so they "deserve" to be really good this time. It doesn't make much sense.

Because of the nerf to Uair combos, MK went from one of the best and most bull**** characters in the game, to still a pretty good character. He even received some compensation for it. I'm grateful for that cause I know it could have turned out much worse.

Only thing I'm after now is RCO lag removal. Dtilt animation could be fixed I guess but nah to a range increase, it's wicked already.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
No character deserves to be better than others. What gives MK the right in particular? The way character hierarchy comes about is entirely down to the raw characteristics that they have when designed. It isn't to do with where they used to be, despite the fact that people argue this point all the time, about their character being high tier or low tier in past games/patches so they "deserve" to be really good this time. It doesn't make much sense.

Because of the nerf to Uair combos, MK went from one of the best and most bull**** characters in the game, to still a pretty good character. He even received some compensation for it. I'm grateful for that cause I know it could have turned out much worse.

Only thing I'm after now is RCO lag removal. Dtilt animation could be fixed I guess but nah to a range increase, it's wicked already.
I think you took what I said wrong. I just meant that it would be cool if he got more compensation buffs. Not that the dev team is obligated to or something. Also, MK wasn't "one of the most bull**** characters in the game" before the nerf. He was a fair character with a dangerous combo that the opponent had to play carefully around.

Freakzoid9000MS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lukeduke5456
I think you took what I said wrong. I just meant that it would be cool if he got more compensation buffs. Not that the dev team is obligated to or something. Also, MK wasn't "one of the most bull**** characters in the game" before the nerf. He was a fair character with a dangerous combo that the opponent had to play carefully around.
"MK wasn't one of the most bs characters." Hah you make funny joke. But in all seriousness, what you just said is wrong in so many ways.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I took what you said right, you just phrased it weirdly which is fine, everyone does it sometimes.

The ability to reliably take stocks at sub-40% from the entire cast from a variety of confirms really was some bull****, however you spin it. Try to imagine in a couple of years time if Uair went untouched, where it's not just three top players with the ability to do this consistently in tournament, but most high- and top-level MK players instead.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
ngl if they nerfed sheik without nerfing mk, mk would be number 1 in the game rn by far

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
He still loses that MU now, no? For the same reasons even. Idk. There would certainly be little holding him back. And that may be the case in the future since I'm fairly certain MK won't be on the chopping block ever again, and some other characters are likely to get nerfed more.

If nothing else, he'll always have his niche of ******* on Rosalina lol. (Even if Cloud does it easier...)

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I took what you said right, you just phrased it weirdly which is fine, everyone does it sometimes.

The ability to reliably take stocks at sub-40% from the entire cast from a variety of confirms really was some bull****, however you spin it. Try to imagine in a couple of years time if Uair went untouched, where it's not just three top players with the ability to do this consistently in tournament, but most high- and top-level MK players instead.
Well, maybe if perfected to the point of one DA or D-tilt or something meaning instant death, I could see him being OP. I guess that probably would have happened too. Anyway, at the end of the day, all I was saying is that it would be sweet to get more compensation buffs but it's no big deal either way.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
If nothing else, he'll always have his niche of ******* on Rosalina lol. (Even if Cloud does it easier...)
OPINION TIME! neither Cloud or MK (Even pre patch MK) beat Rosa.
I mean, regular Rosas can get destroyed by MKs if they're not careful, but they have more than enough tools to stop themselves from getting stairway'd.

Cloud just.. Lose. A very simple yet effective Down Smash option select shuts his "safe" dair approach down completely (Most characters can do the same, really.)

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
OPINION TIME! neither Cloud or MK (Even pre patch MK) beat Rosa.
I mean, regular Rosas can get destroyed by MKs if they're not careful, but they have more than enough tools to stop themselves from getting stairway'd.

Cloud just.. Lose. A very simple yet effective Down Smash option select shuts his "safe" dair approach down completely (Most characters can do the same, really.)
Uh, no. Sorry.

Top Bottom