• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
@ Amadeus9 Amadeus9 I just like him, being so radically different of a playstyle. I don't know his MUs, but the only characters I find difficult with toon link are the ones with reflectors.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Reflectors give any projectile based character hell as is, so having a melee based character does alleviate the issue somewhat.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
If he doesn't cover ZSS or some other top tier you struggle with, then that character will not aid MK in anyway imo.

I would say Kirby but he doesn't beat ZSS, Pikachu would be better. At this point MK is vital in the meta since he does well against Sheik and beats Rosalina whom everyone hates(explains why everyones picking him up).

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
If he doesn't cover ZSS or some other top tier you struggle with, then that character will not aid MK in anyway imo.

I would say Kirby but he doesn't beat ZSS, Pikachu would be better. At this point MK is vital in the meta since he does well against Sheik and beats Rosalina whom everyone hates(explains why everyones picking him up).
Pikachu is good as its probably their worst MU (according to most ZSS') and I can see why. Pikachu naturally goes under a lot of her core moves just by being a little tiny pokemon. Its funny. But I was reviewing recent sets of mine and I have so much I need to work on so I would rather just grind it out as MK for now. As much as I want a secondary, I don't think its time.

ZTD | TECHnology

It's true. If I were to play a 2nd character seriously, it wouldn't be a top tier lol. I would be too paranoid of the possible Diddy treatment.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

Lol wut, Kirby beats ZSS 60:40, some people even say he beats him 70:40 and that he's one of ZSS's worst matchups (That part's inaccurate, but it still counts)

(If you say I'm derailing this thread, I'm not, I already go on the thread, just don't post much)

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I don't trust you when it comes to Kirby MUs. I would rather read what @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima and @ Shaya Shaya has to say about the Kirby vs ZSS MU.

Edit: Also Pikachu is a better pick than Kirby because
  • better mobility
  • better recovery
  • better edgeguard game
  • projectile
  • has the same crouch advantage
  • disjoints on some moves
  • quick attack
  • better stage selection vs ZSS
  • top tier

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Lol wut, Kirby beats ZSS 60:40, some people even say he beats him 70:40 and that he's one of ZSS's worst matchups (That part's inaccurate, but it still counts)

(If you say I'm derailing this thread, I'm not, I already go on the thread, just don't post much)
I have spoken with quite a few players that are knowledgeable about Kirby. There is no way that Kirby wins 70-30. That might be what your character boards say but when you look over the MU thread, that's more or less 1 or 2 people making that claim. Just because they may be the most vocal, doesn't mean they are correct. I don't even think Kirby wins. Sure, he's short and ZSS has to play different because of that. But if you're sitting there ducking over her moves, that means you aren't really moving. ZSS still has a number of tools to hit a crouching Kirby. She still runs circles around him in all forms of mobility.

Curious as to why you think Kirby wins so convincingly?

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 Reserved doesn't post in the matchups threads, but considering 100% of Kirby and ZSS mains think it's in Kirby's favor or even, It's pretty much has to be in his favor.

@ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology I know he doesn't win 70:30, IMO he wins 60:40

warionumbah2

Smash Master
But reserved IMO is more knowledgeable on Kirby and isn't hella bias. He doesn't overrate his strengths to sugar coat his weaknesses. I simply find him more trust worthy thats all.

ZSS vs Pika has been played at high level, i have yet to see Kirby play against a high level ZSS. Also if he did so well why did Dabuz not pick up Kirby? There's a reason for everything young star warrior.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Lol your logic ("the average of the two opinions is logically what the truth of it is").

I don't think the match up is even, as in, it's in ZSS favour imo.
Puffballs are easy to combo, die early and don't like flip jump.

Having 1 option that beats several actions doesn't negate the fact he has 0 other options to beat anything else ZSS has.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master

ZTD | TECHnology

Most of the things she can use aganist Kirby don't work.
The core members of the MK community are of the "Show me undeniable proof, videos, and a detailed explanation" kind. You just saying "most of her options don't work" without an explanation won't sway opinions here.

Any high level videos or documentation around to support your claims? If not, I'd stop lol.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Crouching is an option that exists in much the same fashion as shielding does in the best case scenario for it.
No character purposely wants to hit shields.
"But I can shield their stuff, it doesn't work!" is the same degree of 1-dimensional logic as what you spout.

Although ZSS can hit shields, with moves she can't hit a crouching opponent with, due to Kirby's lack of mobility she can freely side-b or dsmash at maximum range [yes, 20 frame start up moves] with near impunity. Her walking speed is still as good as kirby's dash and she has ftilt and down tilt (both cleanly beating kirby's moveset) to do out of them as well.

You can't crouch in the air, you can't crouch out of dash, you can't crouch during hit stun, nor can you crouch while you're attacking with anything bar down tilt.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Crouching is an option that exists in much the same fashion as shielding does in the best case scenario for it.
No character purposely wants to hit shields.
"But I can shield their stuff, it doesn't work!" is the same degree of 1-dimensional logic as what you spout.

Although ZSS can hit shields, with moves she can't hit a crouching opponent with, due to Kirby's lack of mobility she can freely side-b or dsmash at maximum range [yes, 20 frame start up moves] with near impunity. Her walking speed is still as good as kirby's dash and she has ftilt and down tilt (both cleanly beating kirby's moveset) to do out of them as well.

You can't crouch in the air, you can't crouch out of dash, you can't crouch during hit stun, nor can you crouch while you're attacking with anything bar down tilt.
He can crouch under side-B.
The core members of the MK community are of the "Show me undeniable proof, videos, and a detailed explanation" kind. You just saying "most of her options don't work" without an explanation won't sway opinions here.

Any high level videos or documentation around to support your claims? If not, I'd stop lol.
I can't record my gameplay, and IDK if there's a video showing the matchup, I'll check later. If there isn't, I can't have any proof until I make my analysis. At the current moment, I don't have a replay or video of me or anyone else, so that will have to wait.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
ZSS kills Kirby at 25% with a grab

GOOD MU KIRBY WINS 0:100 OMG CROUCH UNDER EVERYTHING!!!111!!1!11!!!!

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Who cares, he loses therefore he is of no use to MK users or anyone who hates ZSS.

I can't believe this page is clogged with Kirby, we have an unspoken rule of never speaking about that weak puff ball.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Who cares, he loses therefore he is of no use to MK users or anyone who hates ZSS.

I can't believe this page is clogged with Kirby, we have an unspoken rule of never speaking about that weak puff ball.
Somebody rename this thread to "The KGD:We Welcome the new wave of puffballs"

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
To be fair, I mostly only take care of this Social Thread. Katakiri is handling the rest of the board quite nicely.

And while I *could* reign/control every Character Board, each one of them has a dedicated mod that is doing a great job.
So most of my time is spent helping at the Competitive Board.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
We're still on about ZSS? If you want a ZSS check Greninja is one of the better ones. He can Shadow Sneak out of ZSS' Up-B just like he can MK's. Pretty sure he can Shadow Sneak out of her F-Smash as well. The problem is that Greninja still takes a lot of work to use properly, even with that huge advantage.

Also, while very underrated, "Git Gud" is a pretty good check to ZSS too and my personal favorite. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
To be fair, I mostly only take care of this Social Thread. Katakiri is handling the rest of the board quite nicely..
I handled the Mr.R hype alright but if an MK beats Nairo or ZeRo, I'm gonna need the whole squad as back-up. Hell hath no fury like an army of Day-1 Meta Knights armed with questions we've already answered.

Also someone add me to the MK Skype chat. KatakiriG is the name. I finally re-downloaded Skype because of Ohio Smash's addiction to Splatoon.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I handled the Mr.R hype alright but if an MK beats Nairo or ZeRo, I'm gonna need the whole squad as back-up. Hell hath no fury like an army of Day-1 Meta Knights armed with questions we've already answered.
My sword is sworn to this board. You will have it if assistance is required.
:196:

warionumbah2

Smash Master

ZTD | TECHnology

Okay so I mentioned this before and I wish to take action on it very soon:

For those of you in the Skype group, I wish to make a secondary group purely for MU discussion. There would be schedule MU discussions with windows for discussion. When the window is closed, we have the scribe @Jamurai record the discussion and post it here. The MU threads tend to die quickly and more of the core/regulars use Skype anyway so this could work. I would like to assemble only the most knowledgeable/regular members for our MU Discussion Panel.

Who is interested?

I will produce a schedule once I get a good amount members enlisted.

@ Katakiri Katakiri @ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 @Fye @ Amadeus9 Amadeus9 @whoeverIforgottotagcuzImlazy

Last edited:

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559

For those of you in the Skype group, I wish to make a secondary group purely for MU discussion. There would be schedule MU discussions with windows for discussion. When the window is closed, we have the scribe @Jamurai record the discussion and post it here. The MU threads tend to die quickly and more of the core/regulars use Skype anyway so this could work. I would like to assemble only the most knowledgeable/regular members for our MU Discussion Panel.

Who is interested?

@ Katakiri Katakiri @ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 @Fye @ Amadeus9 Amadeus9 @Oblivion @whoeverIforgottotagcuzImlazy
I'm not one of the knowledgeable members for the MU Discussion Panel, but I'd love to join the regular skype group if that's something any dedicated MK-player can do?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

Who is interested?

@ Katakiri Katakiri @ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 @Fye @ Amadeus9 Amadeus9 @Oblivion @whoeverIforgottotagcuzImlazy
I'm into that, though you tagged a different Oblivion. I've been getting a lot of MU knowledge lately, like Pikachu and Rosalina.

ZTD | TECHnology

I'm into that, though you tagged a different Oblivion. I've been getting a lot of MU knowledge lately, like Pikachu and Rosalina.
Dammit. That Oblivion that I tagged is actually from my state lol.

I'm not one of the knowledgeable members for the MU Discussion Panel, but I'd love to join the regular skype group if that's something any dedicated MK-player can do?
What is your Skype name bruh?

Last edited:

FaintLlama

Smash Rookie
NNID
FaintLlama
Think I can join? I've been working on MK ever since I saw what he can do, and I learned that he's really fun to play. my skype is duckhuntdogcatcher

Top Bottom