• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
how about, yo Yves, thx for doing stuff raising awareness and ****. this was a 3/4 joke post with 1/4 of an ultra situational tech within. stop breaking my heart dammit!
You're breaking my heart man! I hate misinformation, especially to do with MetaKnight

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
I'm pretty certain monitor affects those reaction time tests. You'll do a lot better on a 144 hz monitor than a 60 hz one, I noticed. That, and some mouses are hard to click :p.

Last time I took it, my average was 216ish.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Has it ever happened to you to lose confidence in your MK and drop him?
When I traveled to our national I did, my combos were all off, and the fact I do not own a Wii U and can only practice on the 3DS doesn't help either. I dropped him out of my own inconsistency and opted for the less technical, less reflex-based, more basic and more trick-based Sonic with moderate success.
Until I dominated some friendlies at the same event. Too bad the tournament already had finished...

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Hey!

I played Meta Knight some around the release of the Wii U version, but ultimately decided to stick with Mega Man. Recently I've been growing so sick and tired of him and I needed some time to play another character, and picked Meta Knight. Now I think I'm gonna stick with him, I suck with him but feel that I can grow with as a player him in a way that I can't with Mega Man.

-Name:
Lufos
-Talents: Being decent at everything, but that's gonna change! (See my Goals)
-Dislikes: Faulty logic
-Goals: Mastering a character in Smash and becoming number 1 in my region!
-Other facts: I can never make a decision for myself (and my reaction time sucks, thanks for showing that to me @ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology ;) )

Also a quick question. If there is one thing that I just HAVE to learn with Meta Knight, what would that be?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Has it ever happened to you to lose confidence in your MK and drop him?
Well that's happened to Ito twice, first time was because he was barely viable back in the broken Diddy days but then he put him as a secondary and went from there. He was thinking of dropping again when he was dropping combos saying that he's a hard character to use consistently, but then he stuck MK and still does well.

Maybe MK isn't for you, do you have fun using him?

Also a quick question. If there is one thing that I just HAVE to learn with Meta Knight, what would that be?
Get your fundamentals in check, don't be one of those "how do u uair combo" folks.

Last edited:

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Well that's happened to Ito twice, first time was because he was barely viable back in the broken Diddy days but then he put him as a secondary and went from there. He was thinking of dropping again when he was dropping combos saying that he's a hard character to use consistently, but then he stuck MK and still does well.

Maybe MK isn't for you, do you have fun using him?

Get your fundamentals in check, don't be one of those "how do u uair combo" folks.
Yeah I know the combos and stuff only comes with practice, I guess I could have answered my question myself actually, just wanted to know if there was any special technique that you just gotta learn that I somehow missed (like the floaty stuff with peach, short hop pellets with mega man, etc.)

Thanks for your reply, I'm gonna go practice some now ;)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Oh, but I *do* have fun with him, A LOT OF FUN.
He's also my favorite character in this game along with Lucina, so matter how bat they are, I'll put a lot of effort with them.

Now, rereading my last post I noticed I didn't express myself correctly.
During the last event I went to, I dominated friendlies with MK, losing waaaaaay less than I won on a rusty character. Still felt kinda off and my reaction time just isn't quite on point (gbye Uair combos), but the general feel was pretty good.
I might want to pick him up again, win or not.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Question! How does Meta Knight do against Marth, Yoshi and Greninja? I'm thinking of picking him up so I can cover Kirby's bad MUs. He seems to be a much better pick against some characters like Rosalina, too, so having him as a secondary would probably cover Kirby really well.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Question! How does Meta Knight do against Marth, Yoshi and Greninja? I'm thinking of picking him up so I can cover Kirby's bad MUs. He seems to be a much better pick against some characters like Rosalina, too, so having him as a secondary would probably cover Kirby really well.
+0
:4marth:
-1:4yoshi::4greninja:

But we never sit down and revise MUs such as Yoshi(we really don't get good discussion going in our MU threads), Greninja is probably bad but he isn't a MK counter like Katakiri said. He said the same thing with Mii Brawler invalidating MK, back in the wonderful days of customs.

Marth and Ike imo are the only sword users that go even with MK. Don't know what the mains of Greninja,Marth and Yoshi think, probably think we lose hard cuz neutral game blah blah.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Being patient. Don't go yolo, MK is bait and punish, not rushdown.

In terms of techniques, Dthrow/Fthrow/dash attack into Up-B

EDIT:

I just woke up btw. My best was 69 when I clicked by accident :laugh:

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
+0

But we never sit down and revise MUs such as Yoshi(we really don't get good discussion going in our MU threads), Greninja is probably bad but he isn't a MK counter like Katakiri said. He said the same thing with Mii Brawler invalidating MK, back in the wonderful days of customs.

Marth and Ike imo are the only sword users that go even with MK. Don't know what the mains of Greninja,Marth and Yoshi think, probably think we lose hard cuz neutral game blah blah.
Ah, that's a bit upsetting. Having Meta Knight as a secondary would still be really nice because even Marth MU and good MUs against Rosalina/Mega Man, but not being able to cover Yoshi (which is overall Kirby's worst MU) is bleh. At least if I secondary Meta Knight, I can avoid Kirby dittos (they're soooo boring) and have a significant advantage because Meta Knight destroys default Kirby. I guess that's why MK always gives Kirby a sword, LOL.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
For all we know that Yoshi MU could be even, but we never discuss and the Yoshi thread was based on 2 patches ago before we got real buffs.

Kirby only beats MK cause he's the protagonist, Smash bros gives no ****s therefore he whoops Kirbys ass 2 games in a row. :dkmelee:

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
Been a while since I've lurked around here, been a bit busy and a bit bored at the moment, thought it would be a good time to see what the bats are up to.
Catching up on whats happened, looks like there's some new ones sprawling around, Shaya continuing to stalk all boards and some impressive lot of victories, congrats!

Hope I can do the same this coming weekend and break my 9th streak...

Took on your challenge Tech, knew I was quick but not that quick. Looks like we're almost tied.
Did this about 6ish with food on the mind, maybe that helped who knows...

and with that, I go back to whatever it is I do........

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Being patient. Don't go yolo, MK is bait and punish, not rushdown.

In terms of techniques, Dthrow/Fthrow/dash attack into Up-B

EDIT:

I just woke up btw. My best was 69 when I clicked by accident :laugh:
I tend to go a bit too yolo, but I'm working on that ;), the X into Up-B I pretty much got covered, just gotta play a lot and get the playstyle down, thanks for the reply! ^_^

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
+0

I have a suggestion.

Maybe instead of a discussion here, maybe a schedule Skype meeting would work. It would be must faster and someone could act as a scribe and take down the most important points. We ALREADY do more MU discussion on Skype than here. We could post the results of these discussions on the boards. Plus we have more competent MKs who tend to stick the Skype bat cave now anyway.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Maybe instead of a discussion here, maybe a schedule Skype meeting would work. It would be must faster and someone could act as a scribe and take down the most important points. We ALREADY do more MU discussion on Skype than here. We could post the results of these discussions on the boards. Plus we have more competent MKs who tend to stick the Skype bat cave now anyway.
As MK is getting more popular I think up-to-date matchup information is important to have, to help rising MKs improve their game against players they find difficult to beat in tourneys and such. I certainly am keen to get this ball rolling again myself, the current threads are useful to refer to imo, the information just needs updating and expanding. I'd be happy to scribe, I like to list and summarise things.

ZTD | TECHnology

So maybe I could make a separate group for Meta Knight MU discussion only on Skype and then we agree on a certain time frame to discuss the MU. Then after that is done or we've run out of things to say, @ Jamurai Jamurai scribes and we post it here. I think this could work. And if we have a separate MU discussion group, we could make sure that it is just more knowledgeable MKs taking place in the discussion.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
You guys were supposed to tell Reserved that MK is a bad secondary, smh.

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Got 4th out of 47 people in my weekly smash tournament yesterday. A slight improvement but this was the first time I went home with some money in my pocket for coming 4th. I got £6.20 to be precise which as of the date of this post is $9.71 USD. I don't mean to complain about the money though. I had a great time and I'm starting to see the results of my training come through more as I play MK.

Ruleset: 3 stocks, 8 mins. Starters: FD, BF Smashville, Town and City and Dreamland and Counterpicks: Lylat, Duck Hunt and Miiverse.

http://gp-tips.challonge.com/dmm9

Despite that though there were a couple faults:

Got sent to losers by PairODucks; a former Megaman player who's now playing Ryu. I kept getting smacked by Regular Get Up > Shoryuken whilst he was on the ledge. I thought jab would get through it but the shoryuken said no and I lost 3 of my stocks in the process because of that. I also kept missing punishes on whiffed fireballs. It was a fun set regardless and I usually just get bodied by him in bracket but a close 2-1 was an improvement at least.

Got elimated by a DX-17. A Rosalina player. By that point, I was really satisfied with my performance. I feel that I still should have done better though. I kept jumping into his uairs and I couldn't get past his Rosa walls. I think counter picking to Duck Hunt in Game 3 was a bad idea in hindsight.

Things That I Noticed

Starting to see the results of my rage MK training. I'm starting to get into the habit of going for uairs if I know they're going to work and I've started baiting airdodges into uairs > Up Bs to take early stocks. It has forced people to stop mashing air dodge after my DAs as much. A lot of times, I would take 2 stocks in quick succession because I would take the first one whilst in high rage and take the next one immediately afterwards because of knowing my rage percentages.

I've found that when under pressure I just keep praying for Dash Attack until it connects. I need to learn to stay patient at all times and not get into a predictable flowchart. Missing Dash Grabs up close is also a common problem. Anyone know how to get around this?

Starting to get more comfortable with certain play styles. Examples include Ness players who airdodge into aerials onstage or understanding Peach. I felt so happy when I got the clutch uairs to Up B combo on a Luigi in bracket to take the set. Still need to do some lab work with Ryu to understand him more though.

But overall a better performance than last time and one of our top players is willing to train me to work on my fundamentals before the next tournament so I'll be arranging sessions with him to get better for the monthly coming up at the end of this month.

busken

Smash Ace
I'm back niqqas. Was on a hiatus for quite a bit. Anything new?

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I'm back niqqas. Was on a hiatus for quite a bit. Anything new?
Mr R got 5th at Smash con using Sheik/MK took a game off Nairos ZSS and had a close game vs Dabuz despite only using him for 2 weeks, he got 1st at a local using Ryu/MK he beat K9s Sheik with MK.

Salena is obviously a high level MK user and is getting great results taking down top players in Japan, he placed higher than abadango and rain in the last TO he went to.

Abadango is picking up MK, top players calling MK high/top tier. Ito still ded, Katakiri winning stuff, still no god MKs at Xanadu, i researched when we can approximately end stocks below 40% on all characters, Shaya lurks our board cuz we the best swordsman in the game.

More people spamming stupid ass questions such as how do i uair combo.

-Fin

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Also the Skype group is p cool and you should join us if you haven't already (I don't know who half the people are so you may well have done).

busken

Smash Ace
I can see alot of people switching to MK has a secondary or even a Main now. However, it all depends on well they play neutral and how polished their punish game is. It's funny because back in like late december/early january we didn't have 1/5 as many active people as we do now. Just goes to show people look at results then experimentation.

busken

Smash Ace
Feels Great playing Smash again. I find my execution is so much better with the break. Sorry for double post I mean we fam right?

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Put me in the Skype group pls. My name on skype is Bonk!

ZTD | TECHnology

@ Bonk! Bonk! , welcome back!.

In other news, I totally just hit Super Saiyan tonight. Holy ****. So much to process. This overtime in the lab is gonna be showing at the local this week.

Last edited:

Juswingit

Smash Rookie
could someone add me to the skype group please im a new meta knight looking to help improve my play my skype name is bloodsilence808

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
@ Bonk! Bonk! , welcome back!.

In other news, I totally just hit Super Saiyan tonight. Holy ****. So much to process. This overtime in the lab is gonna be showing at the local this week.
Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you practicing in the lab :)?

ZTD | TECHnology

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you practicing in the lab :)?
Mostly successful 0 to death combos. I'm integrating my footstool combos into my Up Air chains to Shuttle Loop. Working hard on just maximizing the damage. At one point, I had 0 to deathed a Yoshi for both stocks back to back. It was gorgeous. My consistentcy is really picking up.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Mostly successful 0 to death combos. I'm integrating my footstool combos into my Up Air chains to Shuttle Loop. Working hard on just maximizing the damage. At one point, I had 0 to deathed a Yoshi for both stocks back to back. It was gorgeous. My consistentcy is really picking up.
Sounds awesome! Definately something I'll start doing as well once I feel that I've got the hang of the general playstyle. Still not used to the pretty lackluster neutral, coming from mega man with his awesome neutral. I feel like I gotta take care of that first before trying to implement complicated 0-deaths etc.

Top Bottom