• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Yeah, stuff like that is why you should never bet your soul on a Smash 4 match. At least if it were like Quake or something, even between two closely matched players, the better player wins >90% of the time instead of 60% of the time. RIP warionumbah2.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Tyrant beaten in losers by Dapuffster according to Challonge.

RIP :4metaknight:

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
Shame, wouldn't mind seeing what happened in the set at least.
I feel that it's a bit wasteful (but may not be possible since it may be Nintendo's Wii Us) to save and send replays that happen off stream so that they can be sent to a Wii U that has a capture card to be uploaded later.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Apparently Tyrant was DQ'd for not being there on time, so he didn't actually lose to Dapuffster.
Good job to MKs, though. @Katakiri did you see Regi? He played so well.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Apparently Tyrant was DQ'd for not being there on time, so he didn't actually lose to Dapuffster.
Good job to MKs, though. @Katakiri did you see Regi? He played so well.
Yeah Sky just said, crazy stuff. Tyrant overslept, but so did Salem (his first opponent) so Tyrant automatically went forward to fight Dapuffster, but overslept for that match as well so was fully DQ'd...

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Wait what? I fought and beat Tyrant 2-1 in a serious set. Nobody said anything about him being DQ'd, what would have happened if I had lost? Lol seriously.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Wait what? I fought and beat Tyrant 2-1 in a serious set. Nobody said anything about him being DQ'd, what would have happened if I had lost? Lol seriously.
Damn. I wonder where Sky got his information. I hope the other viewers are informed of that you beat him.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Damn. I wonder where Sky got his information. I hope the other viewers are informed of that you beat him.
I 2 stocked him on SV
He 2 stocked me on Delfino
and on BF it came down to a close game, but I ultimately took it. There were many witnesses to this match but it did not take place on the recording setup or the livestream.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
EVO was a mess in terms of updating stuff smh. At least MK made it into top 20 at CEO(13th) and EVO(17th) shout out for tyrant going RAW MK no secondary.

Results looking good for MK.

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
Well after a weekend of playing Street Fighter for the first time in probably 7 years (thanks steam), I feel like I have to give more respect to footsies in both games now. Really fun to play a vastly different game every now and then, as well having to learn something new/again like how to properly input commands rather than cheat it with double taps. Though some things were impossible to do on a keyboard, such as Zangief's full circle commands.

With that game done though, the next smash tournament is coming up in less than a week for me, probably gonna try and up my control around platforms and get more into the habit of walking away. Not sure what else to practice since I have limited resources though.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
My results this weekend:

1st out of 20 teams (didn't drop a single game) with Coco - :4olimar:. My reign of terror in doubles continues :D 7th out of 59 in singles. Losing to only PR members. 7th again ugh lol.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
hey its been a long time i ended getting 33rd at evo, i feel like i couldve gone a lot farther if i had a different bracket but in the end it was just how the cards fell. i was up 80% against tyrant game 3 of set 1 and he dash attack-up air-upbd me from 15% to death to take a huge comeback. on the 2nd set i got hit by charged fsmash at mid percents and died for literally all 4 of my deaths lol was playing on tilt.

to tyrants credit he is an extremely patient player and keeps his composure during a lot of difficult situations. i saw him play at the crew battle and he didnt play like that at all during actual tournament. he did take esam to game 3 in a close set in winners bracket after playing me and managed to beat salem on day 2. he got knocked out by dapuffster game 3 who killed him at 50% every stock by doing dthrow upb. ofc everyone knows to di toward miibrawler after dthrow, but then dapuffster just shed backwards, double jump faired forwards and then comboed into upb to kill him even earlier lol. it felt really unfair and i also think tyrant couldve gone a lot farther than 17th. i dont think you should be allowed to use tiny mii brawler in tournament and default size should be the standard

now that evo is over i might play more of my secondaries but i will probably stick to mk as a main. my friend mocha the norcal hammer sonic ended up getting 13th, zex also got 33rd and trevonte got 25th. i think everyone understands norcal's pain against hammer now lool. shoutouts to everyone who went!

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

We're still quite proud of both of you for making strong representation with our favorite bat ball. Especially in a customs setting. It's inspiring really.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Just noticed the 'Technology' on the right hand side.

I'm so jelly right now. >:[

Don't leave it lying around at Tournaments, apparently the smash community has its fair share of thieves/opportunists. Someone at EVO got robbed.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I heard about all the theft at EVO, its all over Facebook.

And I have a case for that controller and when I'm not using it, that thing goes right back in it. And it's attachable to my clothes so I'll just wear the case around. Taking zero chances. This is one of a kind. I've always wanted something like this. <3

Last edited:

Urameshi_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ban00dle
anyone want to play some sets in about an hour or so? i've been struggling lately and need to get on the right track.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
After a couple friendlies I'm not confident at all of the Sonic matchup. With any of my characters. Including Sonic.

ZTD | TECHnology

I play the Sonic MU a lot. I tend to find it easier to deal with extremely campy ones with Pit but have had success with MK against our top Sonics. What are you struggling with?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Hammer Spindash Sonic is so bad, almost unwinnable. But default Sonic is way more managable and isn't a MU one should bite their nails over like his BS back throw days. The hitbox for his Dair doesn't last as long so his landing option on MK is nowhere near as good anymore. We used to U-Smash his Dair or straight up not challenge it, but now we can FH Uair into Shuttle loop at a height where it can kill below 100%. His back throw got nerfed, his U-Smash got nerfed and apparently his damage output on SD got nerfed slightly. Could've sworn you said Lucina of all characters was hard for some reason. What are you struggling with? I wouldn't mind going back to revise the MU again but the activity here is dead and its not like any contribution goes to MU topics anyway(and that stage thread sigh).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I actually don't have particular problem against Hammer Spindash, I find it slightly more annoying than Regular Spindash, but not Matchup defining.
My main struggle in the matchup is that Sonic does not allow enough breathing space/neutral reset, he pretty much covers any defensive option and the offensive ones are very limited. His pressure game is ridiculous. I can't find an answer to him standing outside MK's range. Not one that is safe at least.
Then again, it's a personal bias for the matchup, I get reads and punishes just fine, it's a confidence/preference thing, I don't feel the matchup with none of my characters.

And Lucina is tough but not negative at all, avoiding the entirety of her sword is quite a task.

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
Haven't played a Sonic a while, can't remember how bad it is. That f-smash still haunts me though.

You guys have any tips for consistently getting shuttle loops inside of a dash? I'm not sure if I'm doing up-b too slow or should be aiming more diagonally, either way I keep getting put into skid.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
turn tap jump back on

that happens because you need to input jump before upb

also i think i might just be really bad at the mk ditto lol

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The jump also lets you get the hitbox that links into the 2nd hit perfectly, even at like 150% the 2nd hit will land so long as you get the close hitbox of the 1st.

The reason why people struggle to land it, or the reason why people think they can DI it is mainlt due to MKs always wanting the tip of the 1st shuttle loop.

Basically this(by Ulevo)

1: Shuttle Loop 1 and Shuttle Launch 1 have two distinct hit boxes; the sweet spot and the sour spot. I had suspected this up until recently but never confirmed precisely how they worked. Shuttle Launch 1's sweet spot is right in front of Meta Knight as he leaves the ground. Shuttle Loop 1's sweet spot is the visual blade arc that is shown as he ascends, directly in front of Meta Knight, as well as in front and above. There is a star flash that happens when using Shuttle Loop 1. The sweet spot seems to end vertically just before that star flash. Shuttle Launch 1's sweet spot is a lot less defined and is much closer to Meta Knight's launch start position near the ground.

The sweet spot for both has high base knock back, and low knock back growth. To give you an idea of the kind of base knock back it has, if you take Sheik and bring her to Duck Hunt, bring her to the far left of the stage and then roll her to the right once, if you Shuttle Launch to the left and arc it forward so the 2nd hit misses, she will be launched high enough to land on the second tallest branch. If you repeat this at 150%, she will only go marginally higher, enough to reach the tallest branch. Shuttle Loop behaves in a very similar fashion. The base knock back and knock back growth as such that even as high as 200% or more, we will never miss the 2nd hit when sweet spotting as long as we arc correctly.

The sour spot has low base knock back, low knock back growth. However, the knock back growth on this is very important.Essentially there are two reasons we as players miss our Shuttle Loops. We hit the sweet spot and arc Shuttle Loop incorrectly in tandem with our opponents DI, or we hit the sour spot near the end of the hit box and they are past a certain %.To illustrate what I mean by the latter, take Sheik to Duck Hunt, put her on the fourth highest branch (left one), and roll Meta Knight towards the ledge. Do a short hop up air and buffer a Shuttle Loop. If done correctly, Meta Knight will be as low as possible to the ground while still doing a Shuttle Loop, not Shuttle Launch. This distance between Meta Knight and Sheik is approximately as far away as the opponent can be before Shuttle Loop 1 will begin missing. Up until 129, Shuttle Loop 2 will connect. After 130, Shuttle Loop 2 misses.

Essentially this is the % where a Meta Knight would need to adjust the timing of the move so that he goes for more than just the tip of Shuttle Loop 1 in order to secure a kill.

To illustrate what I mean by the latter, take Sheik to Duck Hunt, put her on the fourth highest branch (left one), and roll Meta Knight towards the ledge. Do a short hop up air and buffer a Shuttle Loop. If done correctly, Meta Knight will be as low as possible to the ground while still doing a Shuttle Loop, not Shuttle Launch. This distance between Meta Knight and Sheik is approximately as far away as the opponent can be before Shuttle Loop 1 will begin missing. Up until 129, Shuttle Loop 2 will connect. After 130, Shuttle Loop 2 misses. Essentially this is the % where a Meta Knight would need to adjust the timing of the move so that he goes for more than just the tip of Shuttle Loop 1 in order to secure a kill.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Last night's results: 5th out of 52.

The good: Our soon to be #1 player who usually destroys me as Rosalina got a surprise when I took him to almost last hit both games. I think I finally get that MU now.

The bad: ZSS on the other hand is still ruining my life. And the player is like "Yeah man you totallly outplayed me too". **** that character lol. My Pit is still in diapers so its not ready yet.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
lol Sonic is so not threatening in default. Nair buff is actually helpful against this blue ****er ontop of his other nerfs as well.

Last night's results: 5th out of 52.

The good: Our soon to be #1 player who usually destroys me as Rosalina got a surprise when I took him to almost last hit both games. I think I finally get that MU now.

The bad: ZSS on the other hand is still ruining my life. And the player is like "Yeah man you totallly outplayed me too". **** that character lol. My Pit is still in diapers so its not ready yet.
Was there no dubz?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Should we use PP to space our F-Smashes instead of walking?

Cuz im seeing alot PP from Ito and he's straight up sliding across the stage, MK is tide 2nd or 3rd in terms of PP distance.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
turn tap jump back on

that happens because you need to input jump before upb
When someone does this properly, either OOS or from a dash, does it act like a grounded up-B or an aerial up-B in terms of dmg and knockback?

ZTD | TECHnology

I've been implementing PP with F-Smashes and F-Tilts for easier ground spacing. Tends to help me in the neutral to a noticeable degree imo.

Top Bottom