• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

warionumbah2

Smash Master
also i think i might just be really bad at the mk ditto lol
You just airdgodge to much, surprised you don't use jab to invalidate his approach options and the end lag is so low that he can't punish with cape.

Expect everyone to go MK against you cuz it seems to be your only weakness in defaults.

You knew how to DI MKs moves but you airdodged instead of jumping(and airdodging at the same time). Maybe you should arrange matches with MKs here cuz the struggle is real lol.

I've been implementing PP with F-Smashes and F-Tilts for easier ground spacing. Tends to help me in the neutral to a noticeable degree imo.
I can only PP towards the left lol, walking is a good option too thankfully. The range on F-Smash is actually pretty good compared to his other sword based moves on the ground. Then if it clanks that's a free Shuttle loop or DA.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
^ I really need to start buffering SL more after that F-Smash. I use F-Smash too much though so I've been training myself to tone down on its usage before I start trying to get tricky with it again. Kinda focusing on certain moves at a time.

Side note: Got a Jab happy Rosalina? Know its coming? Cape that astral *****.

The power of scaring someone off their favorite option in neutral with Cape is awesome. When I killed Ray with that move and got the lead he got a lot more cautious about spamming Jab (making my life a lot easier).

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Against rosa go crazy on luma MKs DA and mobility is so dumb. You DA and pop luma and ros up, you basically charge an f smash and hit luma, the hitbox lingers preventing rosa from doing anything. If rosa is walling you out just wait outside her and lumas max range then DA, oops did i cross your shield? DA again.

Murder luma at all costs, even drill rush (yes even this garbage) is a good mixup. You can do the most scrubiest things such as DA, roll, DA, roll. Its glorious.

Range on MKs grounded sword moves from best to worse

1.Jab final hit
2.Ftilt 3
3.F-smash(same range as pikas dtilt)
4.Jab
5.Ftilt 2
6.Ftilt 1
7.Dtilt
8.Utilt

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Yeah that's basically all I did. I'd DA. Roll behind. Wait. DA more. Drill Rush every once in a while when he was close enough to the ledge so Luma would be guaranteed to fall off. One thing I used to do was Up-Throw for the shockwave but its not necessary. I didn't realize how many opps for good punishes I was giving away. I basically refined my process of getting rid of Luma and its working wonders.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Side note: Got a Jab happy Rosalina? Know its coming? Cape that astral *****.

The power of scaring someone off their favorite option in neutral with Cape is awesome. When I killed Ray with that move and got the lead he got a lot more cautious about spamming Jab (making my life a lot easier).
Batman: Using fear as a weapon.
I love this character.

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
a thought that occurred to me recently: what if the idea behind metaknight at his conception was "a bat outta hell"?

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
im hype for the tourney mode next month. online tourneys would be 10x easier to make and join plus the chances for meeting **** players will drop since their too busy expanding dong in fg.

gj at the tourney

Last edited:

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Back from tournament, got 7th in around 75 people, and from what I heard I caused some havoc. I made some crucial mistakes, but I'll be sure not to make them again the next time I go.

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Hi guys. I thought I'd come in and introduce myself after lurking the MK boards for a while.

Been playing MK as a secondary to Bowser and I've become quite fond of the character. I like the increased mobility the character gives and playing him is just really fun in general.

I've been entering my fair share of offline tournaments in the London scene for Smash 4. In the weeklies, I've been getting consistent top 8 results with a good number of entrants and I'm going to start using MK more in the monthlies. The closest one now being at the start of August.

That said, it's nice to meet you guys and hopefully, I can learn as much as I can from these boards as well as possibly share some stuff that I may discover whilst playing this character.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
im hype for the tourney mode next month. online tourneys would be 10x easier to make and join plus the chances for meeting **** players will drop since their too busy expanding dong in fg.
Its gonna suck for MK users, good luck beating C.Memelord in lag.

inb4 they nerf and buff characters based on online tournament results.
Leo, Mexico's Best MK and one of the best players is currently on stream!!

http://www.twitch.tv/lugiacorp
Damn misses him, did he win?

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Rip leo`s 20xx hands. He's doing all these intricate combos in low percents that are netting him like 25% when he could just be doing d-throw up b. the crowd loves his mk tho

warionumbah2

Smash Master
He does questionable things such as the lack of running Up smash when that Falcon was asking for it so hard. He also relies heavily on Up throw which is bad against Falcon, you need to edgeguard him with Jab,Back of Nair,Dair or Bair but mostly Nair.

And yea his follow ups out of down throw were questionable but he does use shuttle loop sometimes, the last moments of the match he got Down throw --> DA --> Uair --> FF Nair which is basically a BnB combo against fast fallers(you can reset the combo if you run at them and DA, the landing lag reduction is a blessing).

Once again fundamentals shines on this character, if your good at uair combo's and catching landings with FH uair you'll never go wrong. Thanks @ AlanHaTe AlanHaTe for keeping us up to date.

@ Superbat Superbat Yeah the crowd loves hi- is that a :4sonic: i see?

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
lmao your talking about my profile right? I played sonic quite a bit in brawl and I like his games ( the good ones) Just not feeling mk recently.

Leo best mk in the world? Commentators are getting a bit too hype there. he's in now in doubles now

Pause he beat mr.r? Take back what i said then.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Today's results for me:

2nd out of 25 teams.

5th out of 61 in singles.

I played great and got several upsets. I feel like the player I want to be is coming out. 100% :4metaknight: today. I think the small break I took to focus on Pit has rejuvenated me.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Thought I'd peek my head in here as I'm really starting to feel comfortable with my Fox and started playing a bit more of MK...
And boy are pivot F-Smashes fun to do! He's really got a nice amount of frame traps huh

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Yo guys, after the tourney I did some rewinding and looked back at my matches to see what went wrong, and what to improve/change. Though, I need a bit of help on stage decisions. What are meta's best/good stages, and maybe a couple reasons as to why that is? Anything helps.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I made 1st out of 73 in singles at AlfaCollusion VI yesterday. Every corner of Ohio was representing there + some Indiana.
I finally got the Rosalina bracket! It also happened to be the top PR bracket but still. My top 32 bracket was:
Spicer:4ness:(2-0), Kel:4sheik:(2-0), Fumbles:rosalina:(2-0), Fizzle :rosalina:(2-0), Mister Eric:4rob:(Winners Finals (Loss 2-3)), Fumbles:rosalina:(Losers Finals (Win 3-0)), Mister Eric:4rob:(Grand Finals (Win 3-0, 3-0))

I played like I usually have in winners just to play comfortably so, as always, Eric & I had a last game, last stock set. But in Losers I switched my playstyle to an experimental Frankenstein playstyle I've been theorizing about using Brawl MK air footies while forcing mistakes via switching between walking on platforms and tomahawk pokes from dashing off said platforms and going far more aggro than I'm usually comfortable with. I spent roughly half of my time on platforms, poking at the opponent from above. There was a point in one match that I juggled ROB for at least 15 seconds straight. It was different but it all felt right when put together...and I still can't believe it worked as well as it did.

After those sets, I feel like I've been playing MK wrong...again. I think I overvalued my defensive playstyle with him and undervalued how great a more aggro MK can be so long as I'm actively thinking while using him; and there's a definite difference between adapting and thinking in Smash and I'm only just starting to get it.

I picked up Pac-Man a few weeks back to help me learn get better at frame traps and thinking on my feet. I only use him in friendlies and Anther's Ladder ofc but I think a pocket Pac-Man is really healthy for any Smasher since being decent with Pac requires you to be thinking constantly and adapting not only to playstyles and player habits, but also to mid-match character movement. I also picked up Lucina for that same set of reasons.

At EVO, I realized that I was good at MK, I was good at Charizard, Mega Man, or w/e pocket character I might have, I was good at characters but I wasn't good at Smash. Playing against players that have been around since early Melee or even early Brawl made me notice that their thought was different than mine. When I played ZeRo, HBox, Abadango, and even Tweek for as young as he is, it slowly started to click that "oh, they aren't looking for the things I'm looking at, they're looking at a lot more than that." I was looking for moves to punish because I know frame data for almost every character; again, I'm good at characters. But I wasn't using deliberate spacing and movement to force openings or even thinking well on the fly. I was using raw reactions & predictions while playing defensively thinking "You'll slip up eventually!" and that's just not how Smash is played. The fact I got as far as #1 on Ohio PR without realizing that blows my god damn mind. But now that I realize that, I'm working on it, and I'm already seeing the results, I'm excited.:4metaknight:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
No one thought to bring recording equipment unfortunately since the internet at the venue was known to be bad so no streaming. It's a great venue tho.

I'll probably record some matches myself soon even if it's only Anther's Ladder.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Jesus Christ leo might just be the best mk. This is insane
he does not mess his up air combos. wtf GODLIKE

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
PEOPLE WILL INVADE THE MK BOARDS STOP THEM B4 THEY LAG EGGS! THEY HATED MK DON'T COME BACK NOW!

busken

Smash Ace
This kid is only 14 years old.. I'm 16 but I feel like a trash, i gotta get my game up...

Top Bottom