• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
And, in the spirit of the frying pan, every hit gets a 100% chance to do critical damage?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Meta Knight needs a DLC skin where he is given a frying pan instead of his sword. Every sword swing has the appropriate 'TWANG' SFX. When he Shuttle Loops, he drops an omelette and then swoops down to grab it again. When he does Tornado, fried food flies everywhere. His taunts would be "Yum!", "Tasty is my destiny.", and "You have much yet to cook." His final smash would be "Know my flavour!"

Your welcome.

Ras99

Smash Rookie
Meta Knight needs a DLC skin where he is given a frying pan instead of his sword. Every sword swing has the appropriate 'TWANG' SFX. When he Shuttle Loops, he drops an omelette and then swoops down to grab it again. When he does Tornado, fried food flies everywhere. His taunts would be "Yum!", "Tasty is my destiny.", and "You have much yet to cook." His final smash would be "Know my flavour!"

Your welcome.
Please don't make dlc skins or this game will be "League of Smash"

warionumbah2

Smash Master
We need a proper Galacta Knight and Dark Meta Knight dlc costumes, the reskin looks ugly af.

All you need to do samurai is take Pits wings and replace the bat wings with them, then change the mask, change the colour of the sword, give em horns and done.

Dark MK is even simpler, put a line through his right side of his mask and change the sword from gold to silver.

Sakurai lazy af

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Funny, Sakurai actually created the Kirby series, so you think he knew his stuff better.
Then you realize that both Dark MK and Galacta Knight were made after he left HAL.

But still, that's what he (they?) should've done.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
We need a proper Galacta Knight and Dark Meta Knight dlc costumes, the reskin looks ugly af.

All you need to do samurai is take Pits wings and replace the bat wings with them, then change the mask, change the colour of the sword, give em horns and done.

Dark MK is even simpler, put a line through his right side of his mask and change the sword from gold to silver.

Sakurai lazy af
I doubt Sakurai wanted to change the color of every sword-trail MK has to match new sword colors on top of making models, character names, and menu text for two extra "literally who?" characters.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180

Sakurai lazy af
I can completely agree although I'm happy there's anything at all referencing Dark MK and GK. I wish their themes were in, especially Galacta Knight's and while having an actual Galacta Knight alt would be unlikely, I would have loved it if he made it in the game as an assist trophy.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I doubt Sakurai wanted to change the color of every sword-trail MK has to match new sword colors on top of making models, character names, and menu text for two extra "literally who?" characters.
I don't mean new characters, just to update the costumes.Why the beep would i ask for clone characters?

Changing the sword trail colors shouldn't be hard, change all the trails to silver boom! I don't do game designing so im probably missing something.

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I don't mean new characters, just to update the costumes.Why the beep would i ask for clone characters?

Changing the sword trail colors shouldn't be hard, change all the trails to silver boom! I don't do game designing so im probably missing something.
Model changes representing other characters are usually accompanied by just calling them the character they're referencing like Alph, the Koopalings, and originally Dark Pit & Lucina before they broke-off into their own characters. Wario & Little Mac are exceptions because they're literally Wario & Little Mac still.

I'd imagine DMK & GK don't have models for the same reason Ridley isn't playable. "If we shrunk him down gave him a new mask and wings, it just wouldn't be Ridley Meta Knight!"

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Ok scratch GK since Sakurai won't put the effort into making a new mask TT-TT. On the other hand DMK already has an in-game model, just gotta change the sword to silver and put a black scar over one side then call him "Dark Meta Knight".

This costume turns me off cuz its awkward seeing DMK holding MKs God like sword. 1st place is gold 2nd is silver, you can't have the second fiddle hold the number 1's sword its like Luigi wearing Mario's hat.

Funny, Sakurai actually created the Kirby series, so you think he knew his stuff better.
Then you realize that both Dark MK and Galacta Knight were made after he left HAL.

But still, that's what he (they?) should've done.
I'm shocked he even showed respect to the inferior Kirby games(Super star ultra is basically a remake of Sakurai's work so that don't count), he changed Kirby's Final smash, Gaklacta Knight is a trophy, MKs outfits and of course the music.

Sucks to be Waddle Dee fans tho, 4th wheel got BTFO.

mfw i only played 2 Kirby games.

Last edited:

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
Stuff came up. I won't be at Shockwave today. Hopefully things work out, so I can get some matches/videos at another venue tomorrow.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I have been researching Meta Knight recently and have a few tips of information.

1: Shuttle Loop 1 and Shuttle Launch 1 have two distinct hit boxes; the sweet spot and the sour spot. I had suspected this up until recently but never confirmed precisely how they worked. Shuttle Launch 1's sweet spot is right in front of Meta Knight as he leaves the ground. Shuttle Loop 1's sweet spot is the visual blade arc that is shown as he ascends, directly in front of Meta Knight, as well as in front and above. There is a star flash that happens when using Shuttle Loop 1. The sweet spot seems to end vertically just before that star flash. Shuttle Launch 1's sweet spot is a lot less defined and is much closer to Meta Knight's launch start position near the ground.

The sweet spot for both has high base knock back, and low knock back growth. To give you an idea of the kind of base knock back it has, if you take Sheik and bring her to Duck Hunt, bring her to the far left of the stage and then roll her to the right once, if you Shuttle Launch to the left and arc it forward so the 2nd hit misses, she will be launched high enough to land on the second tallest branch. If you repeat this at 150%, she will only go marginally higher, enough to reach the tallest branch. Shuttle Loop behaves in a very similar fashion. The base knock back and knock back growth as such that even as high as 200% or more, we will never miss the 2nd hit when sweet spotting as long as we arc correctly.

The sour spot has low base knock back, low knock back growth. However, the knock back growth on this is very important.

Essentially there are two reasons we as players miss our Shuttle Loops. We hit the sweet spot and arc Shuttle Loop incorrectly in tandem with our opponents DI, or we hit the sour spot near the end of the hit box and they are past a certain %.

To illustrate what I mean by the latter, take Sheik to Duck Hunt, put her on the fourth highest branch (left one), and roll Meta Knight towards the ledge. Do a short hop up air and buffer a Shuttle Loop. If done correctly, Meta Knight will be as low as possible to the ground while still doing a Shuttle Loop, not Shuttle Launch. This distance between Meta Knight and Sheik is approximately as far away as the opponent can be before Shuttle Loop 1 will begin missing. Up until 129, Shuttle Loop 2 will connect. After 130, Shuttle Loop 2 misses. Essentially this is the % where a Meta Knight would need to adjust the timing of the move so that he goes for more than just the tip of Shuttle Loop 1 in order to secure a kill.

2: I did not know this previously, but I found out while playing around with the "edge slip" technique shown on the Tourney Locator videos. If you want to grab the ledge as Meta Knight while being on lip of the edge, all you need to do is Shield while holding forward, then let go. Meta Knight will walk off and auto snap. This is how Ito has been doing it in his videos when he ledge trumps while shielding.

3: I found an interesting way to buffer a neutral air off the ledge, but it has to be done from a run. Say you are running right. Run until you are in the running animation. Before you reach the ledge, let go of the stick then hit right again immediately. This will put Meta Knight in to a skid animation. As you skid and are holding forward, spam A. You will fall off the ledge but because it is buffered you will do a neutral air instead of a forward air. This is likely the fastest way of doing this off the ledge, and is ideal if you are in a position far enough away from the ledge to do it.

4: Meta Knight's up air has three hit boxes, none of which send up. The first one is from roughly 0º to 90º of the sword arc in front of Meta Knight. This sends the opponent roughly 50-60º. The second one is past the 90º point of the arc, behind Meta Knight. This sends the opponent about 50-60º behind him. The last hit box is about 20-40º on the down swing of the sword arc, and it sends them at around a 35º degree angle. This is important to note because when you are doing up air strings, you want to be positioned so you are in front of the opponent but not directly below them. If you are directly below them, there is a chance you could hit them on the other side of the apex of the sword and send them in the opposite direction. Also, if they get to the point where they hit the 3rd hit box that sends them at around 35º then you are not going to be able to continue the string regardless of how well you juggle.

tl;dr: just the tip.
Thanks for the information!
Much appreciated.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Today is a weekly event but no singles. Every 9 weeks we do a doubles and triples only event. I'll be teaming with an :4olimar: for doubles and that same :4olimar: with an :4myfriends: for triples. Catch me on stream later on GooshiGaming at Twitch!

<3

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Olimar as a teammate? Disgusting.

inb4 tech proves me wrong with tornado jank
Short version of why I like Olimar as a teammate: Down Throw is godlike. It has an incredible amount of hit stun associated with it so follow ups with our BnBs like Nado and SL are always available and allow for time to adjust. In addition you get a lot of footstool shenanigans this way. But at the very least Oli D-Throw > Nado is like 32% + right there and that's not even taking into consideration Pikmin latches.

The way Olimar grabs people allows you to safely throw out moves like D-Cape and Forward Smash without worrying as much about hitting the Olimar because the Oli isn't grabbing the opponent themselves; the opponent will be further out in front of them.

Olimar can aggressively zone people and create stage control long enough for you to run in and take advantage of the situation, especially with purples. He does a good job of covering and creating large openings for us. There's no jank like Fluddnado but he has some nice tools for us to take advantage of. You'll see :) Doubles has always been my thing. I always expand and develop strats in that format because for some reason it just resonates with me more than singles haha.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
This is nice because it basically means we do not have to worry about a forward tilt coming out the way it sometimes does with using the analog stick and grab.
To do a pivot grab you have to press grab before turning your direction. It's almost at the same time but grab has to be done slightly before turning.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Something else worth reporting. I do not know if this is because of Meta Knight's air speed or air acceleration, but in Smash 4 if you want to survive the blast zones you are best to use your double jump on the earliest frame. I tested this with Ness using a back throw at the ledge on Smashville, no DI. Meta Knight will die for sure at 76%. At 75%, he will die if you use an aerial attack or an air dodge, but if you jump, you will survive. I think this remains consistent for a few more % lower. It is not a huge difference, but if it means saving your stock it is important. I think this might be particularly useful for Meta Knight because he has access to multiple jumps, so using one is not a big deal. A lot of characters might die if they use their double jump to avoid the blast zone by simply not being able to make it back.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Sorry there's no MU thread yet. Life problems are limiting my Smashboards time to only enough to post snarky comments or attempt to work on the resource catalog for a few minutes. Tomorrow I'll be on the road out-of-state and Saturday is a big tourney where I get to **** up ZeRo get *****d up by ZeRo in custom move money matches.

I'm still trying to get ready for custom :4villager:in bracket. What a problem.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
ive been feeling very frustrated when i play and am considering switching to sheik. i practice for hours and i still drop my combos in real games because of random di and i cant take my own advice to go for guaranteed best options because i start becoming too angry when i play now.

i havent tested this at all yet but i think what might be a good way to trade with explosive balloons is to hold shield right above ledge, and jump and buffer down b and hold down to get the downward strike right when villager regrabs with explosive balloons. everything else is either way too weak and ****ty to trade well, or he can pre-emptively explode them if he sees you going for fsmash. it might not work at all, but its either this or im out of ideas.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
ive been feeling very frustrated when i play and am considering switching to sheik. i practice for hours and i still drop my combos in real games because of random di and i cant take my own advice to go for guaranteed best options because i start becoming too angry when i play now.
Try being less angry during matches? Your hard work as a player has made you the best Meta Knight player in the world where you rarely lose a tournament. You also bring a lot of hype and excitement to matches. Your insane success with an underrated character has also brought you way more attention than you would have received if you mained Shiek. Not to mention Shiek could get destroyed in a future balance patch, where as it's unlikely Meta Knight will have the same fate happen to him. Plus once customs are over, Meta Knight's future will be stronger than ever.

i havent tested this at all yet but i think what might be a good way to trade with explosive balloons is to hold shield right above ledge, and jump and buffer down b and hold down to get the downward strike right when villager regrabs with explosive balloons. everything else is either way too weak and ****ty to trade well, or he can pre-emptively explode them if he sees you going for fsmash. it might not work at all, but its either this or im out of ideas.
Explosive balloons seem like an absolute ***** to deal with. Though once EVO is over, custom moves are likely to become dead, so Meta Knights probably won't have to deal with customs for much longer...which will also mean you won't have to worry about being killed from things like Twister Fox and Hammer Spindash. There was a video from SHI-G where a Meta Knight player was able to fight custom Villager effectively. I'm struggling to find that video, but if someone is able to find it, maybe some fellow Meta Knight players will find it helpful? Worst case scenario, a temporary pocket secondary that makes the custom Villager matchup considerably easier might be a good idea to reduce the risk of being screwed over by a broken custom move at EVO.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Fact is MK sucks in customs, his rage stems from MK being weak in customs. I could tell when watching him play, its frustrating.

Real talk if you pick up Sheik competitivly you'll be a nobody, there's so many Sheiks that people stop caring. But its the nature of competition, go to the best.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Ugh, my memory is trash. I meant to respond to Ito's previous post, but forgot to do so in the past.

people never really cheered for me. a part of it is my personality irl, a part of it is people want to see upsets.

there was a couple of people in the crowd that screamed every time trevonte who was camping using CUSTOM SHEIK with piercing needles did something basic like fthrow bouncing fish...people were yelling obscenities at me the whole time. my nerves were totally shot during and after wf, i had been awake since 4am that day, and i had drank like 3 cans of coke right before we started. i felt so tired after i won i had to immediately leave or im not sure i couldve made the 45 minute drive back.
Don't let that discourage you. People typically root for the underdog and this case, it was Trevonte despite him using a character that's way easier to use than Meta Knight. Denti, one of Texas's best players who uses a total of five characters (Diddy Kong, Shiek, Yoshi, Olimar, and Luigi) recently posted this on his Twitter page that describes Shiek pretty well.

My recommendation is to invest in noise cancelling headphones to cancel out surrounding negativity. I personally use this pair during tournaments where I plug in those headphones into the GamePad and it works very well for me, especially considering how I have massive distraction issues. In the insanely odd circumstance someone else has the same idea, you could always bring an audio splitter so both you and your opponent can use the GamePad's audio jack for headphones.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Fact is MK sucks in customs, his rage stems from MK being weak in customs.
But why are you insisting on that. MK is the exact same character custom off and on, he can't be high tier and then low lol. Villager is a pain for everybody and the only new tough MU custom on, and obviously it sucks for MK, but even then MK is still high tier.
Seriously you're not the only one who spend more time hoping for palutena's death than practicing in custom. It's negative, brings nothing and if custom survive EVO (idk and idc really) you will look really stupid. Given the fact that you're not concerned by custom moves for now i don't understand your anger.
Ito6 i'm glad you play MK but don't feel bond to him. If you feel like you need a secondary to handle villager and idk who you struggle with just pick one.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
MK isn't high tier in customs don't spread false knowledge. Get outta here there's more characters that **** on MK in customs, villager is just the one that invalidates atm.

I won't look stupid cuz MK mains or users aren't dumb enough to enter custom tourneys when default is also on after evo. I could care less about looking dumb infront of people here, I don't know you guys.

MK is the same character but he gets beaten by +10 characters in customs ontop of MUs he already loses in default. High tier rite here folks. No point in practicing against MUs where there's like no solution to tone it down other than out playing people HARD, positive pep talking brings us nothing.

how well you think MK will do in evo?

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Meta Knight

its not finished

someone give me ideas for the image cuz i have no idea what im doing

also if theres something you want checked you should let me know before i move on

things left:
landing lag on aerials
confirm that air dodge landing lag is 24 frames (!!!!)
specials? who cares, they're bad and also confusing

Ugh, my memory is trash. I meant to respond to Ito's previous post, but forgot to do so in the past.

Don't let that discourage you. People typically root for the underdog and this case, it was Trevonte despite him using a character that's way easier to use than Meta Knight. Denti, one of Texas's best players who uses a total of five characters (Diddy Kong, Shiek, Yoshi, Olimar, and Luigi) recently posted this on his Twitter page that describes Shiek pretty well.

that describes melee sheik pretty well.

not smash 4 sheik though, sorry

Last edited:
Top Bottom