• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I reaaaaaally have the feeling 70% of the people still don't understand customs....
Like seriously, Sheik of all characters becoming Brawl Meta Knight levels of good?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Watching that Stream. I linked Angel to stuff last night on Twitter, so that might have helped. He actually retweeted this tweet last night.
He needs to learn BnB combos, no not uair strings I mean things out of down throw. A MK cant miss that many combos out of down throw, I find it hard to belive at this point for people to not know his combos when you can research. Everyone and their mother knows Ito (and literally no one else), because Ito does cool combos new players will want to do that instead of working on how to actually use MK(captain falcon syndrome).

MK user sins
1. Using sh aerials
2. Missing throw combos consistently
3. Not landing kill confirms the moment its possible
4. Not baiting airdodges
5. Not baiting
6. Not back throw or up throw near the ledge for damage
7. Not using shuttle loop oos or tornado effectively

I think Ulevo made a literal combo compendium link him to that.

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
First footage of 1.0.9 leaked. Sakurai felt that MK was too easily projectile camped so we're getting jab buffs.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Seeing that gif puts two thoughts into my mind.

The first one being the Amatsu sword (which looks similar to Galaxia) from Fire Emblem Awakening and how people THROW it (though even more ridiculous is that Ike/Priam throws Ragnell in that game).

The second thought is how there are so many swords that shoot projectiles in the games they appear in and yet not Smash :4myfriends:(with the exception of a single custom):4link::4metaknight::4robinm:(minor exception of dsmash). I guess that's less than even half of the swords in the game (thanks Roy) but still.

..I'm also ashamed how much I had to Google before making this comment. Forgot the name of the throwing sword and even the name of our bat's sword.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
In other news, I done figured out my problem MU solution and it's been sitting in front of me the whole time. I can't wait for the next big event here. With all that I have learned, I think I am going to start kicking more ass.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I might start practicing Meta Knight to cover some of Kirby's bad matchups. Mostly Ness. Thoughts?

ZTD | TECHnology

I've never seen a good secondary or pocket :4metaknight:. This is a character you have to really put a lot of time into for sure.

Other than Ness (whom we beat clearly), what other MUs give :4kirby: issues?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Sometimes the lasr hit of SL misses. Is a matter of DI or spacing?
It's similar to ZSS's up special, in that we can aim it, and they can DI. You have to guess where they will DI. SL seems a lot more lenient than her Up B, however.

I might start practicing Meta Knight to cover some of Kirby's bad matchups. Mostly Ness. Thoughts?
I would say if you are looking to pick up MK it should be as your main, he doesn't really hard counter any characters enough to really justify being a secondary, and he's kind of really hard to play. You won't have good results playing him for several weeks or even months.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I've never seen a good secondary or pocket :4metaknight:. This is a character you have to really put a lot of time into for sure.
I would say if you are looking to pick up MK it should be as your main, he doesn't really hard counter any characters enough to really justify being a secondary, and he's kind of really hard to play. You won't have good results playing him for several weeks or even months.
That's a good point, it'd be hard to make a pocket MK work well.

Other than Ness (whom we beat clearly), what other MUs give :4kirby: issues?
Some notable characters that Kirby doesn't like are Luigi, Sonic, and Yoshi. I've been seeing MK users say that the Luigi MU is 50:50, so that could be another reason to play him. Sonic would still be troublesome, though.

ZTD | TECHnology

That's a good point, it'd be hard to make a pocket MK work well.

Some notable characters that Kirby doesn't like are Luigi, Sonic, and Yoshi. I've been seeing MK users say that the Luigi MU is 50:50, so that could be another reason to play him. Sonic would still be troublesome, though.

Most of us believe :4luigi: is even although a couple also think its slightly in our favor.

:4sonic: wins and its a MU you have to really know well to have a chance against any competent Sonic.

:4yoshi: beats us also.

Tbh, I don't think :4metaknight:would be the greatest fit unless you just really like him as a character (which you should because he's gangsta). But if that is not the case I would consider something less demanding to play. Just giving my unbiased opinion.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Most of us believe :4luigi: is even although a couple also think its slightly in our favor.

:4sonic: wins and its a MU you have to really know well to have a chance against any competent Sonic.

:4yoshi: beats us also.

Tbh, I don't think :4metaknight:would be the greatest fit unless you just really like him as a character (which you should because he's gangsta). But if that is not the case I would consider something less demanding to play. Just giving my unbiased opinion.
I like him as a character and he's pretty fun for me to play. But yeah, it would be hard to do work against some characters. I also need to get better at the Kirby vs. Ness MU, so there's that. We'll see what happens. :4metaknight:

Thanks for your help!

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Pretty badly. Sonic is able to constantly force us into terrible situations, but we can hardly punish any of his stuff. We basically have to mind read to pose any kind of threat. Yoshi controls space and moves too fast for poyo to get a grip. It's kinda sorta doable, but not really. What's it like on your side?

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Sonic was really bad before patch 1.06 and then he lost B-Throw which was a huge deal because he like to stay grounded a lot in that MU. He still wins it but he can't be careless in approaching us. The most annoying thing about the MU is that he can just constantly reset when things look sketchy. If we catch him in the right moments, we can punish him very hard. The hardest part is staying vigilant and calm in neutral.

Yoshi is frustrating because he always pressure us from whatever range whether its eggs or just being a fast moving truck through the air. It requires very precise knowledge of where to stay and where to be in relation to Yoshi's movements. Over time, we've learned to deal with the MU better. It's hard but very winnable.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I hope he keeps up the facade and says MK is a bad character x) I'd prefer not to have him get the nerf bat Sakurai has so gratuitously bashed a couple characters with.

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
Mmm, that stream was a treat to watch Ito again, congrats again.
Normally when I go onto twitch, I just minimize the chat since it's just filled with clueless, memespouting idiots most of the time, but the reaction to Ito is always funny. Even more so, now that Ito has been winning the foundry a few times now, hes even got an anti-Ito squad, wanting a 'new' underdog to take him out.

(I'll remove this if you find it distasteful)
Andy, I like watching your Junior, but even if you were joking I just thought this was hilarious.

And it's also good to still see how stupid some of the customs can be, didn't seem even possible to challenge Twister.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
Andy Sauro
2 hrs · San Francisco, CA
I HATE YOU ITO

I had it all planned out. I was gonna come in, body everyone, play against you on stream and win. That would have finally given me the courage to approach the cutie bartender and start conversation. She would have said "hey, you're that hawt Bowser Jr guy that just whooped Ito's ass. How about instead of hammering Ito, you hammer me instead". We would have been married, had kids, and those kids would be the best smash playing bartending sexy mother****ers the world would have ever seen.

But no. You had to crush dreams Ito. I went home, cold and alone. You're a homewrecker and I'll never forgive you.

RIP THE DREAM

lol

also ive never played trevontes sheik when he was camping his hardest, i told you guys the matchup gets a lot worse then

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
[LINK]

The future of NorCal. It'll be Brawl all over again. Let's pray Sakurai pays as little attention to NorCal as possible. I don't want another one of my mains wrecked. lol

warionumbah2

Smash Master
"Ito wins again"

not

"Victory is his destiny"

You had one job man in the background. One job...

Things I've learned

MK cannot edgeguard fox with twister, prime example on how dumb customs are.

Camping sheik isnt as easy as it looks, the sheik player has to work stupidly hard to keep MK at bay. Its not "if you camp you win" its "you can only win if you know how to camp" every situation is 50/50 shen it comes to MK staring at you in mid range.

MK gets insane reward in mid range sheik only has needles lol. Still bad glad one more player knows how to fight MK, dunno if he read my post saying "if a sheik doesnt camp you its insulting". Really its 50:50 when she isnt camping and the better player will win, but its 60:40 in her favor just for the simple fact that she camps us.

Another thing I clocked is how hype people get when ito loses but when he bodied the fox after there was nothing. Hate to say it but Ito is becoming leffen.

Also Nair oos? Nair near the ledge? Should I add this to my MK?

Also @ W.A.C. W.A.C. Sakurai won't do **** to MK, its only Ito dominating his scene no other MK is doing this 3 or 4 weeks in a row. Diddy was being abused everywhere and he was winning everywhere, he was easy to pick up and play MK isn't. Even the most skillful players will end up having **** MKs trying to imitate Ito's. lol

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
use your dair before he starts to moving, or better: apply constant pressure offstage to force airdodges. Fox falls so fast that it's usually enough. You can try style point too and use your sideB to stage spike, as it can beat the spin hitboxe i guess.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Another thing I clocked is how hype people get when ito loses but when he bodied the fox after there was nothing. Hate to say it but Ito is becoming leffen.
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become Leffen. (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Tech puts this man to shame when using MK in doubles,MKs a support character not an aggro meathead. He doesn't use tornado to rack updamage out of luigi's throws instead he fishes for uair into shuttle loops which he misses all the time.

Just my $0.02

Didn't think the diddy nerf would force diddy players to dip.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I saw the stream.

I felt Iike he was trying to 'Brawl' his way through doubles. He's smart but he's not playing the character the way he really shines in doubles.

Also Diddy mains are just salty they have to work now lol

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
He's the worst character in the game, please keep up man, we're all on the same page here. Zelda is probably better than this trash character.

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
I'm going to my first Smash Wii U tournament tomorrow afternoon (It's a real thing this time with Bo3 sets and multiple stages). I plan on reping the bat the whole way through. Any advice on anything related to tournament going at all? It's weekly, so if I have fun I'm probably going to go back.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
In general, prepare to get bodied if this is your first tourney unless you think you're god at this game.
I'm sure the others can give more concrete advice on MK related stuff.

Top Bottom