• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
First tourney's all mental. You know your ability better than anyone, so just calm down and relax. Don't feel the need to go in or fish for kills with MK. Play smart with your baits, but don't over-reach and try to fish for kills. Finally, remember to have fun playing.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
Yeah. I go on a biweekly basis, now. The venue's like a solid half-hour away. I've been slacking on going, but I should be there this week. The last time I went and lost kind of early really motivated me to try harder in this game, so I'll be giving it my all this week.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Why do people call Meta Knight low-tier? I don't understand?
Top reasons why people think MK is low tier:

1. They're bad.

2. Our neutral game consists of two moves.

3. They're bad. Yes, this deserves a second mention.

4. People bandwagon off the top players opinions. You have to actually play this character or play against someone who mains this character at a high level to understand him though. So most of them are just talking out of their ass.

5. Ito is the only one playing the character to his full potential so people just assume it's all Ito.

6. We tell people he's low tier so we can keep getting buffed until we're at Brawl levels again. We are well on our way.

:4metaknight:

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
He's the worst character in the game, please keep up man, we're all on the same page here. Zelda is probably better than this trash character.
Isnt the MU like 70:30 in zelda's favor? She can camp MK so hard it's not even funny.

plz halp us massive hero samurai

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Didn't think the diddy nerf would force diddy players to dip.
Also Diddy mains are just salty they have to work now lol
A lot of people who don't use Diddy Kong really under-estimate how much this balance patch hurt Diddy Kong. His up air was a huge part of his neutral game and it's horrible now. I disagree with all the nerfs given to him this balance, but it was the added end lag to up air that was massive overkill and crippled that move. If they made all the awful changes they gave to that character except the added end lag, he would still be my #1 and the up air would be an alright move. The whole flow and rhythm of that character has been trashed from the balance patch.

It's worth mentioning a lot of Diddy Kong mains who felt he was their favorite character in 1.0.6 don't even enjoy using him anymore. Players like ZeRo (best Diddy Kong player in the world) and Nanerz (best Brawl Diddy Kong main in NorCal) are examples of that. They both felt Diddy Kong was disgustingly over powered with 1.0.4, but were pleased with the changes made to him in 1.0.6. M2K also hates the changes given to Diddy Kong and pretty much only uses him now because he is one of his strongest characters. Before anyone accuses M2K of being a "tier *****" (which is a very stupid label no-one should be given under any circumstance), he almost took a set off of a Shiek player using Charizard during Grand Finals of a tournament, but died to the stupidest gravity grenade kill I've ever seen. [LINK]

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
A lot of people who don't use Diddy Kong really under-estimate how much this balance patch hurt Diddy Kong. His up air was a huge part of his neutral game and it's horrible now. I disagree with all the nerfs given to him this balance, but it was the added end lag to up air that was massive overkill and crippled that move. If they made all the awful changes they gave to that character except the added end lag, he would still be my #1 and the up air would be an alright move. The whole flow and rhythm of that character has been trashed from the balance patch.

It's worth mentioning a lot of Diddy Kong mains who felt he was their favorite character in 1.0.6 don't even enjoy using him anymore. Players like ZeRo (best Diddy Kong player in the world) and Nanerz (best Brawl Diddy Kong main in NorCal) are examples of that. They both felt Diddy Kong was disgustingly over powered with 1.0.4, but were pleased with the changes made to him in 1.0.6. M2K also hates the changes given to Diddy Kong and pretty much only uses him now because he is one of his strongest characters. Before anyone accuses M2K of being a "tier *****" (which is a very stupid label no-one should be given under any circumstance), he almost took a set off of a Shiek player using Charizard during Grand Finals of a tournament, but died to the stupidest gravity grenade kill I've ever seen. [LINK]
No johns, he should've teched that.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Players like ZeRo (best Diddy Kong player in the world) and Nanerz (best Brawl Diddy Kong main in NorCal) are examples of that.
I retract my statement regarding ZeRo's stance because he apparently changed his mind, so Diddy Kong is still his favorite character in the game. Regarding what happened to M2K, he got stage spiked while holding on to the ledge. It was one of those techable situations that are insanely hard to react to.

ZTD | TECHnology

Quite honestly I think some Diddy users are overestimating the latest changes. Yes, it was probably overkill. No he isn't ruined though. From playing as Diddy (I learn every top tier to get a feel for them) and having one of the best Diddy around (Zinoto), I know he's still a great character. His neutral is still quite potent. If you're character is actually your favorite then make him work. He's still a viable character easily. Make your own opinion. Be a leader.

Also are you suggesting M2K ISN'T a "tier *****"? Just because he ***** around with other characters on occasion doesn't mean he's not. That man plays to win and plays characters capable of winning tournaments as well as what he finds fun. There's nothing wrong with playing a character for a competitive edge but you're kidding yourself if you think he's not playing characters for how good they are.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Quite honestly I think some Diddy users are overestimating the latest changes. Yes, it was probably overkill. No he isn't ruined though. From playing as Diddy (I learn every top tier to get a feel for them) and having one of the best Diddy around (Zinoto), I know he's still a great character. His neutral is still quite potent. If you're character is actually your favorite then make him work. He's still a viable character easily. Make your own opinion. Be a leader.
Diddy Kong as a character hasn't been ruined from this balance patch, but his up air is now a bad move and much of what I said earlier applies to my current opinion of what was done to him.

Also are you suggesting M2K ISN'T a "tier *****"? Just because he ***** around with other characters on occasion doesn't mean he's not. That man plays to win and plays characters capable of winning tournaments as well as what he finds fun. There's nothing wrong with playing a character for a competitive edge but you're kidding yourself if you think he's not playing characters for how good they are.
With the exception of Brawl and maybe the original Smash game (he might only use Kirby that game, I dunno), he's always been a player that uses a wide range of characters. I've seen him destroy people at Melee tournaments using Pichu of all characters. He plays to win and will always use at least one top tier character, but "tier *****" is not a fair description of him at all and I'm tired of hearing him get described this way.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I'm sorry but the way you've been carrying on about Diddy makes it seem like he's bottom tier now. That's why I use the wording that I use.

In a serious setting, when serious money is on the line against someone else around his level do you think that Pichu or Charizard is coming out? Nope. I get your point and "tier *****" isn't the word I would use either but it all means the same thing in the end lol. I could really care less either way, it's not like I'm a fan of him to begin with lol.

On a unrelated note: Meta Knight mains have you seen this video?

https://youtu.be/YbqUmkSVMNQ

You'll never guess which character ISN'T in this.

Okay maybe you will.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

This was a super well done video and I was expecting MK in this but apparently we're SUPER HIDDEN bosses.

I have no idea why it keeps linking the splatoon vid. -_- Apparently the links are mixed up on Youtube. Weird.

It's called:

HIDDEN BOSSES OF SM4SH?!!?!??!? 1.08 Edition (by 4G Gaming)

Last edited:

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
If you copy-paste the url, you get the video. It's weird how he covered everyone besides MK. I'm still suprised that other people aren't picking up him up. You'd get more mileage learning MK than some mid-tier, and the character himself is cool. The usage just isn't there, though.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Yeah I saw the video on my facebook feed and I'm like "Oh cool, MK is gonna get some love". Nope. I don't even care anymore, let the frauds go flock to other characters. I like the community here a lot, most everyone here has a real appreciation for the character and works pretty hard. And I guess that's where we lose people. You HAVE to work hard at this character. You can't really take shortcuts or it really shows. Most people will take the easier route unless they really enjoy their character. That's why we're a small group. And you know, we'll probably see some people pick him up as pocket/secondary only to see that they aren't going to get the results they want because MK is a time-sink.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Because diddy keeps getting brought up here, I may as well put this out there.

Hey, uh, diddy mains? Ever stop to think that maybe diddy was never meant to be top tier? Maybe he was never meant to be that good? I think it's possible that sakurai and his team simply did not see how far players would take diddy and what about him was potentially exploitable.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So much Diddy talk in an MK thread...dah well, it's a social. I'm debating picking up the hat-wearing monkey since he's been nerfed all to hell. Never cared for him before and it's hard to be upset when I hardly used him back in 1.0.4 and 1.0.6. Would just have to get used to his playstyle and his irritating monkey sounds although I tolerate Pit and Fox so it should be manageable.

I also find it interesting how everyone mentions how hard MK is to use. I haven't used him in a tournament setting or anything but when I picked him up he felt easy to use and is fun. Granted my matches with him are restricted to FG singles and doubles along with the 1v1s I have with my cousin. If I ever do get around to going to tournaments (none in my local area and I refuse to do online ones) I'm considering using MK along with Kirby and Rob. Just feels weird seeing how much pressure there appears to be to use MK since he is 'hard' to use. Probably just my casual ignorance ;-;

Zonez

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bowser2720
It's kind of funny. I've heard people talk about the buffs each character got in 1.0.8. "Link's grab is way better!" "Ike really got buffed!" "Charizard has a combo throw!" Yet the character I've heard no one talk about, Meta Knight, wasn't featured in the Hidden Bosses video.

Also.
We tell people he's low tier so we can keep getting buffed until we're at Brawl levels again. We are well on our way.
This is the truest thing I have ever heard.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
We talk about diddy cuz diddy mains be trying to use MK, you don't choose MK, MK chooses you. - Tech

Those guys must be part of the MK buff free project, don't mention a character no one cares about to further prove how low tier he is. Hopefully japan puts him lower, the MKs in japan aren't high level so I dunno why he's up there.

Ike and marth be stealing the show so we get buffed, those fools.

ZTD | TECHnology

So on a more Meta Knight related note:

So I went to Modbots and begged them to make me a custom controller with my tag on it and they agreed to it. They sent me the proof for the design today.

They said you can't really properly imitate the color on a proof (there will be some blue in it). Also MK's eyes will be red since I main the Dark MK colors. But omg they're gonna put in a production and advertise it on their site. I'm soooooo excited.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

All will know my passion and love for this character. <3 I will be going to Ontario, Canada next week for a tournament so if this is ready by then, I will be the happiest man ever.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I somehow forgot to change it before when the low tier thing was being discussed. :p

Zonez

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bowser2720
That title is the best.

Buffs? They removed so much landing lag from Nair they might as well make it auto cancel. Pls.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but the way you've been carrying on about Diddy makes it seem like he's bottom tier now. That's why I use the wording that I use.
I mentioned in the past I viewed him as low high tier at best now.

In a serious setting, when serious money is on the line against someone else around his level do you think that Pichu or Charizard is coming out? Nope. I get your point and "tier *****" isn't the word I would use either but it all means the same thing in the end lol. I could really care less either way, it's not like I'm a fan of him to begin with lol.
Pichu? Hell no. Charizard? Different story. M2K would never pull out Pichu during Grand Finals of a Melee tournament, but he would pull out Charizard. Also, a player that plays to win =/= tier *****.

Because diddy keeps getting brought up here, I may as well put this out there.

Hey, uh, diddy mains? Ever stop to think that maybe diddy was never meant to be top tier? Maybe he was never meant to be that good? I think it's possible that sakurai and his team simply did not see how far players would take diddy and what about him was potentially exploitable.
Who knows if any character was intended to be top tier. Sakurai's perception of character balance is really poor.

That title is the best.

Buffs? They removed so much landing lag from Nair they might as well make it auto cancel. Pls.
That would be sweet.

ZTD | TECHnology

Play to Win =/= Tier ***** but they often times go hand in hand depending on the person. ;)

Also, yeah I've seen you post that. Which is why you confuse me with how vocal you are about the nerf to Diddy. You CARRY ON like he's bottom tier and act like it's a lost cause lol. I can read just fine but please consider how your posts look to others.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Is Tyrant in singles? I just wanna se a Mk

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
I went over my friend's yesterday and he asked why MK is cheap in Smash 4.

He also said that his main Sonic is bad. I laughed.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Damn son, how can I get one of those controllers? I'd shell out some cash for that.

Whenever someone says mk is cheap I just laugh at them and utter the sacred words "git gud"

ZTD | TECHnology

Well ModBots sells a variety of controllers (they have different designs they prefer to sell) but every once in a while they take custom requests. In this case, I told them that I'm an aspiring professional player who's really hype for his underused main character and that I saw their custom controller they made for NAKAT and I wanted something similar and they agreed to it. However, they also claimed that they might not be taking any more custom requests because it's a logistical nightmare for them. So I may have gotten incredibly lucky. You can always contact them (do it on Facebook they do not respond if you use their site -its too busy) and see if they'd be willing to do you one like mine.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I'll definitely check them out. Worse comes to worse I can just get a tri wing screwdriver and a new blank shell... and try not to embarrass myself with my shoddy art skills.

Top Bottom