• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
k i got timed out by diddy twice in the 1st set i lost, then i got murdered by diddy 1st game in the other set i lost, went with my pocket sheik and easily won the 2nd game, and then lost the last game of the set against greninja with 150% and one minute left due to a shadow sneak from greninja in full rage mode that killed me at 80%. that was the last match i needed to win to make it to actual brackets. fuuuuuuuuuck man

i thought maybe i was just bad playing against diddy but my sheik actually does really well against them. I dont think that matchup is possible as is for mk, its easily 85-15 diddy and possibly worse imo. I think i might just main sheik and use mk when i feel like it lol id probably be doing a lot better by this point tbh. i mean mk does ok vs other top tiers but he just gets absolutely murdered by diddy. i played zero in some friendlies at the tournament and he just easily won despite never having played mk because of how hilariously bad the matchup is for him. I think diddy needs a nerf or mk needs a buff to compete at all.

Last edited:

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I think Diddy just needs a nerf in general. He should not be that easy to pick up. I used him against one of my friends first time and completely wrecked him. He feels super easy to handle, and for a character with all around good strings like him, that's pretty bad for the metagame.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
for the record I used to think MK was "kind of trash" but now I think "he's pretty ok."

I really want to play some people irl with him at a tournament or a biweekly or something, I'm kind of considering it! I have had some great friendlies online and man I haven't been playing MK for NOTHING RIGHT?

anyone here had success in tournament/local play?
I've placed 1st at two 16+ player tourneys and split the pot at a third solely using Meta Knight, consistently out-playing other top players in the Ohio-Kentucky area. I've never placed lower than 2nd place in Smash 4 and, aside from the split, never taken anything lower than 1st place with Meta Knight. Hell, I've only been sent to loser's bracket once.

Mini Rant Incoming: I've genuinely considered MK one of the top 5 best characters in the game since the patch (top 10 pre-patch) and I've been putting my money where my mouth is for the past 5 weeks. His great speed/movement options, punishing play-style, 6 jumps for evasion, some of the best frame-data in the game, high shield-pressure, easy combo-game that stretches as far as 125%, "danger percents" that turns MK into Ice Climbers until the opponent takes damage (35~%, 85~%, 95~%, & 101~%), stupid gimping options off-stage, and plethora of great KO options just makes MK an exceptionally solid package that really doesn't struggle in any situation.

Once finals week is over, I plan on making a dedicated tutorial video (series?) about Meta Knight as well as streaming For Glory in my spare time and I'm also working on a "cheat sheet" for all of MK's combos for every character.

Guess I should do one of these too since I'm here to stay.

Name: Katakiri
Talents: Drawing, talking at length about why Pokemon is a rigged game, playing competitive Pokemon, pressing B
Likes: Cute things, Shuttle Fruit Loops, laughing, that image of George Costanza in the batting cages with that look on his face
Dislikes: 1.0.4 Diddy Kong, People that say "M'lady" and the fedoras they wear
Goals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqXlSwBIHFc
Other facts: I'm deliciously brown and I occasionally rock an afro, people tell me I'm easy to talk to

Last edited:

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Lmao Ito's gettin' pretty salty

Capture.JPG

Bruh Diddily's gonna get nerfed

He might not get banned but he's currently waaaayy too strong for the metagame at this time, when M2K can pick him up first time and body Zero with the Kong. Hell, even I can body people with Diddily, I just suck at recovering with him.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Diddy ended up WAY TOO GOOD right now.

Also, I'm finally back into action and will be adding people I'm missing to the OP. ;)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Well, game balance has never been a priority for Nintendo/Sora/Sakurai

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Hey @ Katakiri Katakiri ! Didn't know you were a Meta Knight player. If you play online I'd be glad to. I don't think I've ever played you in smash. Only Mario Kart with the ol' wB guys.

Edit: I'd also like to know if there are any stages you guys prefer. I've started liking Battlefield because of shuttle loop, but are there any other good stages?

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Hey @ Katakiri Katakiri ! Didn't know you were a Meta Knight player. If you play online I'd be glad to. I don't think I've ever played you in smash. Only Mario Kart with the ol' wB guys.

Edit: I'd also like to know if there are any stages you guys prefer. I've started liking Battlefield because of shuttle loop, but are there any other good stages?
Hey, Oblivion! I've been playing MK since a couple weeks before the 3DS 1.0.4 patch. I'm usually down to play anytime but I caught the Kentucky sickness yesterday while traveling so I'm resting today.

But speaking of Kentucky, I placed 3rd out of 50 players yesterday out-of-state. First time getting anything lower than 2nd in 7 tourneys but the matches were hype. To be fair, it was a custom move tourney so I felt like I was disadvantaged in a few matches but no johns, I played dumb towards the end and got read for it. Gotta get better if I want that big money. ($70 for 3rd wasn't bad tho.) http://smashboards.com/rankings/comfy-and-easy-to-wear-4-wii-u-singles.3553/event

But through this tourney, I was able to solidify Kongo Jungle 64 as my go-to CP in most match-ups. The dip in the center of the stage puts me at mid-range while allowing me to completely ignore projectiles so MK becomes even harder to zone-out. The platforms above the stage let MK either reposition himself when he uses them or poke at opponents' feet for free with Up-Airs. He can also use them for Up-Throw KOs. He also can recover through the stage by poking with Up-Airs or Caping.

I was only able to get a couple matches on my own Wii U and they're not too exciting to begin with. I'll definitely upload some of them and OS probably will upload the few replays we got on his Wii U.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey, Oblivion! I've been playing MK since a couple weeks before the 3DS 1.0.4 patch. I'm usually down to play anytime but I caught the Kentucky sickness yesterday while traveling so I'm resting today.

But speaking of Kentucky, I placed 3rd out of 50 players yesterday out-of-state. First time getting anything lower than 2nd in 7 tourneys but the matches were hype. To be fair, it was a custom move tourney so I felt like I was disadvantaged in a few matches but no johns, I played dumb towards the end and got read for it. Gotta get better if I want that big money. ($70 for 3rd wasn't bad tho.) http://smashboards.com/rankings/comfy-and-easy-to-wear-4-wii-u-singles.3553/event

But through this tourney, I was able to solidify Kongo Jungle 64 as my go-to CP in most match-ups. The dip in the center of the stage puts me at mid-range while allowing me to completely ignore projectiles so MK becomes even harder to zone-out. The platforms above the stage let MK either reposition himself when he uses them or poke at opponents' feet for free with Up-Airs. He can also use them for Up-Throw KOs. He also can recover through the stage by poking with Up-Airs or Caping.

I was only able to get a couple matches on my own Wii U and they're not too exciting to begin with. I'll definitely upload some of them and OS probably will upload the few replays we got on his Wii U.
Mind linking us to your YouTube channel/letting us know where the matches will be uploaded?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

Sure, just tell me when you're up for a match. Congrats on the 3rd place still.

Kongo Jungle 64, eh? Seems legit. I'll try it more often.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Hi guys, I'm trying to pick up Meta Knight and despite everything I heard about him, he feels pretty fun to play with. I've been moderately succesful with him online despite pretty much going in without any practice. Are there any tips you guys can give me regarding him? I think I might end up taking him as a secondary if I can get the hang of him.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Hi guys, I'm trying to pick up Meta Knight and despite everything I heard about him, he feels pretty fun to play with. I've been moderately succesful with him online despite pretty much going in without any practice. Are there any tips you guys can give me regarding him? I think I might end up taking him as a secondary if I can get the hang of him.
That's cool. I also use both Greninja and Meta Knight. Both have great dash grabs and dash attacks. You can check out videos of Itoi's Meta Knight for some help. I'm not sure what tips you'll be needing. What do you need help in?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
That's cool. I also use both Greninja and Meta Knight. Both have great dash grabs and dash attacks. You can check out videos of Itoi's Meta Knight for some help. I'm not sure what tips you'll be needing. What do you need help in?
My main problem with MK is that I'm not very sure how to approach an opponent with him. I usually go for a dash grab or dash attack, and sometimes I try to punish with Dimensional Cape, but I'm still getting used to its range. I also have trouble doing follow-ups with him, outside of the d-throw -> up-b combo.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
My main problem with MK is that I'm not very sure how to approach an opponent with him. I usually go for a dash grab or dash attack, and sometimes I try to punish with Dimensional Cape, but I'm still getting used to its range. I also have trouble doing follow-ups with him, outside of the d-throw -> up-b combo.
Walk around. Jump several times and land. Be safe and punish anything. That's basically what you can do.

If you grab someone at 0% you can Dthrow to Dash Upsmash and continue from there. After 0% you have Dthrow to Fair, or Uair depending on DI. To continue, it depends on DI and if they Air Dodge or not. Just remember your options and pick the best one, Uair, Mach Tornado, Shuttle Loop, etc.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Aight boys

I'm pulling MK into the pocket.

He takes a lot of precision and walking, and I'm just not up for it as a main.

I'm still gonna play him, just not as much. I've picked up WFT instead lmao

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I like using MK because of the challenge of using him, and how he teaches me to be more patient. Aside from him being one of my favorite video game characters ever.
Even in Brawl he wasn't my best character until I learned most of his MUs. He wasn't as natural for me to use as my other characters.
I'll still try to use him at least as a secondary for as much as possible.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I think Diddy just needs a nerf in general. He should not be that easy to pick up.
Wasn't MK not only more easy, but really broken in Brawl? I do not understand this logic.

Honestly, it's really too early to call someone broken. Game is still fresh. Diddy is a problem, but people also need to learn the match ups. I don't think we're in need of nerfs (even if we could get it).

Remember how people say that Mega Man sucked in the beginning of smash 4? Do you notice that people are getting better with him now?

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't MK not only more easy, but really broken in Brawl? I do not understand this logic.

Honestly, it's really too early to call someone broken. Game is still fresh. Diddy is a problem, but people also need to learn the match ups. I don't think we're in need of nerfs (even if we could get it).

Remember how people say that Mega Man sucked in the beginning of smash 4? Do you notice that people are getting better with him now?
Didn't play Brawl. It's honestly my least favorite game. No hate to it anymore, but I've never played it on a competitive level.

Plus, I hate gliding. Meta Knight's new Up-B feels better for me, in my opinion. I know it's crappier, but I like it.

Isn't wii fit trainer worse? it's basically a downgrade.
I dunno, man. It's like... I really want to play MK. MK feels nice, but I have a really bad case of indecision. Zelda to Palutena to MK to DK to WFT back to Zelda and now I'm just everywhere lol

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Didn't play Brawl. It's honestly my least favorite game. No hate to it anymore, but I've never played it on a competitive level.

Plus, I hate gliding. Meta Knight's new Up-B feels better for me, in my opinion. I know it's crappier, but I like it.
MK's glide mechanic is the best in the game. It was a shame they got rid of it, but for all good reasons.

I like MK's new Up B as well. It's not really crappy. It just takes more precision. It's a good kill move though.

I dunno, man. It's like... I really want to play MK. MK feels nice, but I have a really bad case of indecision. Zelda to Palutena to MK to DK to WFT back to Zelda and now I'm just everywhere lol
1) my friend NinjaLink suggested this to me, so I'll say the same to you: instead of playing with a bunch of characters, pick a character you want and be consistant with them. Two is nice of a start. Once you start to get really good with them and familiarize yourself with it, then you can slowly work on building other characters.

I was like that too. I just began picking up characters as I was soul searching for a main (still looking for a main, but I'm comfortable with both MK and WFT).

Speaking of, WFT is pretty decent. A wacky character with two types of hitboxes in most of her moves. I don't think she's terrible, but like most characters, takes some efforts to get good with her (considering if you're playing against someone who knows her quicky movesets).

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
id pick a top tier if ur indecisive about characters

if you have wifi ill play you some friendlies and teach you some stuff

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
id pick a top tier if ur indecisive about characters
The problem with that logic is that there really isn't a garanteed top tier character atm. Yes, Diddy's currently got the consistant win rate, but in a month or two's time, Shiek could suddenly be the best pick and so forth.

If it was 6 months to a year with this game, I can see how it's a good idea. However, it's barely been three months :S

D

Deleted member

What are you guys' favorite Kirby games? Personally, mine is Kirby 64. Also, what do you guys think of the TL match-up?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I loved Crystal Shards, Nightmare in Dreamland, Super Star Ultra and Squeak Squad.

My favorite is between the last two I'd say.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
What are you guys' favorite Kirby games? Personally, mine is Kirby 64. Also, what do you guys think of the TL match-up?

I never liked the matchup too much in Brawl.

And with MK's lack of priority, I'm going to hate the match even more now...LOL

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
That extra mode in Nightmare in Dreamland where you play as Meta Knight! I really enjoyed that. My favorite might be that, Dreamland 2, SuperStar or Return to Dreamland.

About the TL match-up:
I believe MK would want to be out of TL sword/hookshot range but close enough to Dash attack/grab. That way TL will have a hard time throwing projectiles without getting punished.
In the air MK needs to be aware of Uair and Dair, but with Fair and Bair I'm not sure who has better reach.

Top Bottom