• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I would play MK as a 2nd if it werent for how the sword touches people but it has no hitbox. Is super annoying to see.
It's actually not that bad. To be honest, you need to ignore that. Spacing isn't really much of an option for Meta Knight, you're either far away trying to bait an attack, or you're up close trying to punish the baited attack. Bait and Punish, it's the playstyle circle that many Meta Knight players follow.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
tbh the only attacks I whiff at this point are downsmash and sometimes aerials. Downsmash range is just plain unfair, at least fsmash has a bit of a...tipper and hits people hanging on the ledge.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
tbh the only attacks I whiff at this point are downsmash and sometimes aerials. Downsmash range is just plain unfair, at least fsmash has a bit of a...tipper and hits people hanging on the ledge.
Yeah, Downsmash kinda stinks. I don't use it that often: not enough range or power to compete with Fsmash.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
I overestimate D-tilt's range a lot... And the back hit of D-smash. D-smash I still find useful though, gets people off stage at a lower angle, and is super hard to punish.

I've gotten used to his range, but his priority is really weird...

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I once made a joke and said that MK has the priority of Trick Room, for any pokemon nerds that get the joke.

I never liked MK's Downsmash that much. Normally, Downsmashes are used to hit constant rollers, or generally cover both sides to stay relatively safe. With MK, he neither has the range or priority to do that.

AyeYoDeji

Smash Rookie
NNID
AyeYoDeji
3DS FC
2337-5487-0135
I signed up, but can't actually make the tourney date, as I'm on vacation. However, if it gets moved, then I'm all in for it.

I think the biggest thing range-wise that needs to be buffed for MK is his Upsmash. MK's Uptilt has hitboxes to his sides, why can't his Upsmash, as well?

The range actually bothers me less than I thought it would. I think the only time that I got mad at the range nerfs was when my fair range was miscalculated and I didn't hit the other guy charging his Fsmash :'(
However, the range nerfs affect me a lot in the long run, because it kills a lot of my options (For example, Upsmash)

I just hate the fact that i can't gimp or juggle because there is no range and no priority on down air and up air.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I just hate the fact that i can't gimp or juggle because there is no range and no priority on down air and up air.
Meta Knight's priority is just bad. Now, MK needs to duck and dodge almost everything, instead of just blitzing through and hitting them with a tornado.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Since we need more of the "social" part of this thread than the "general," I got a question to ask you all.

Anyone here play any of the Persona games? It's my favorite series that I love to death, and it would be cool if someone else did, as well.

Oh, and who got their copy of the WiiU version today? I'm getting it next week, during Black Friday XD

Float SSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Floatwall
3DS FC
0774-4349-7765
Name: Float (green)
Talents: Writing music, Photography
Dislikes: Sleep
Goals: Release an album every 9 months
Other facts: I have purchased every smash on release day.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Name: rabbit
Talents:
Dislikes: Work.
Goals: Get better at Smash, I guess.
Other facts: I didn't really play MK in Brawl, so if anyone's willing to play a few matches with me to tell me where I can approve, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Since we need more of the "social" part of this thread than the "general," I got a question to ask you all.

Anyone here play any of the Persona games? It's my favorite series that I love to death, and it would be cool if someone else did, as well.

Oh, and who got their copy of the WiiU version today? I'm getting it next week, during Black Friday XD
I played Persona 3 on PSP long ago, then saw the Persona 4 animation (not the new one yet). Also played P4 Arena and it's one of my favorite fighters, I looked forward to the sequel, but it kinda came out at a bad time because there's no fighter I like more than Smash so I saved up for it, and I still can't stop playing it... I'm gonna give the P3 anime series a watch once the movies are all finished. Honestly, Persona is pretty mainstream these days though, something blew up with P4 and they're throwing out anime and spin-off games for Persona now like nothing.

Haven't got a Wii U yet, but I'm aiming to get one for Christmas for Smash and to be ready for Xenoblade X.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I played Persona 3 on PSP long ago, then saw the Persona 4 animation (not the new one yet). Also played P4 Arena and it's one of my favorite fighters, I looked forward to the sequel, but it kinda came out at a bad time because there's no fighter I like more than Smash so I saved up for it, and I still can't stop playing it... I'm gonna give the P3 anime series a watch once the movies are all finished. Honestly, Persona is pretty mainstream these days though, something blew up with P4 and they're throwing out anime and spin-off games for Persona now like nothing.

Haven't got a Wii U yet, but I'm aiming to get one for Christmas for Smash and to be ready for Xenoblade X.
That's cool. I started playing the games quite recently as well, but I joined the fandom through Persona 3, so I'm a Persona 3 fanboy for life. The movies are great, though. It's like... the game, but Makoto (the protagonist) changes in personality throughout the story. I do like the new games, though. As long as they're catering to fans rather than just raking in money. Ultimax was great, but sadly coincided with Smash release date. I feel like Persona Q was kinda bad, though. It was like... They slapped some characters on the old Etrian Odyssey engine, made it cater towards both fans, and sold it for $10 more than Smash. Seems like a ripoff to me, especially because of the lack of character development, which is crucial to Persona.

Persona 4 Arena was great, but I never had anyone to play it with. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 was better, they told me...

And I do really want Xenoblade. I don't know how I'm going to get it, though. I don't want to buy a new 3DS...

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
That's cool. I started playing the games quite recently as well, but I joined the fandom through Persona 3, so I'm a Persona 3 fanboy for life. The movies are great, though. It's like... the game, but Makoto (the protagonist) changes in personality throughout the story. I do like the new games, though. As long as they're catering to fans rather than just raking in money. Ultimax was great, but sadly coincided with Smash release date. I feel like Persona Q was kinda bad, though. It was like... They slapped some characters on the old Etrian Odyssey engine, made it cater towards both fans, and sold it for $10 more than Smash. Seems like a ripoff to me, especially because of the lack of character development, which is crucial to Persona.

Persona 4 Arena was great, but I never had anyone to play it with. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 was better, they told me...

And I do really want Xenoblade. I don't know how I'm going to get it, though. I don't want to buy a new 3DS...
I'm too much of an action gamer... I liked Persona 3, but I can't really get into most RPGs. Xenoblade is one of those few. There's hardly any dull moments or grinding, I suppose, and the battle system keeps you pretty active even against easy enemies. You might be able to find an used copy at a GameStop or something, it won't cost >$100 if you can find a store copy.

UMvC3 is also good, and it's also the best fighter to watch ever because of how hectic and unexpected it is. On the other hand, I didn't like it as much because of how much it's based on touch of death combos from pokes and those X-Factor comebacks... For me, ArcSys fighters are next in line from Smash. I really like some of the stuff P4 did with universal character features, but ultimately I'm a Blazblue fan. I'd still like to play Ultimax, but yeah, came out when I needed two Smashes and a WiiU. And uh... Guilty Gear Xrd is coming out at the end of the year, and as I don't have anyone to really play fighters with, I think Ultimax can say goodbye.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I'm too much of an action gamer... I liked Persona 3, but I can't really get into most RPGs. Xenoblade is one of those few. There's hardly any dull moments or grinding, I suppose, and the battle system keeps you pretty active even against easy enemies. You might be able to find an used copy at a GameStop or something, it won't cost >$100 if you can find a store copy.

UMvC3 is also good, and it's also the best fighter to watch ever because of how hectic and unexpected it is. On the other hand, I didn't like it as much because of how much it's based on touch of death combos from pokes and those X-Factor comebacks... For me, ArcSys fighters are next in line from Smash. I really like some of the stuff P4 did with universal character features, but ultimately I'm a Blazblue fan. I'd still like to play Ultimax, but yeah, came out when I needed two Smashes and a WiiU. And uh... Guilty Gear Xrd is coming out at the end of the year, and as I don't have anyone to really play fighters with, I think Ultimax can say goodbye.
I dunno. I already got that Smash WiiU coming up, so probably gonna spend the next couple of weeks trying to find ways to update the data chart XD

Blazblue is fun. I have the first one. However, as I've said before, not a lot of people want to play the game with me T-T

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
More 3DS For Glory every day for me, with all those left behind...

I feel you though, I don't have anyone to play 2D fighters with either. And the only guy I know to play Smash likes playing with items... And handicap. But I just make do with For Glory and player matches. The latest Blazblue also has a pretty nice battle lobby chat room thing. Do you PS3 or Xbox?

ecaflip

Smash Cadet
Oh man, I'm so behind with the community. Time to toss my name into the MK apologists group.
Name: Ecaflip (Can I have a pink name?)
Talents: I'd say I'm a rather proficient writer, I also work with my voice so I'd say I have some vocal talents as well.
Likes: IRC chat. videogames, freestyle singing, motorcycles, dance, running
Dislikes: Mean people, long blocks of text that are hard to understand, cats, burning myself out and being bored
Goals: Run a 10k, get my weight under control, major in computer science and mathmatics, move out of my parent's house
Other facts: Ecaflip is a corruption of Pile ou face, which is french for heads or tails. Though I just chose it because I like the cat race that was in Wakfu.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
PS3. I like the control stick placement better.

Oh, and it looks like Christmas came early. I got my Smash 4 WiiU today. However, no controller adapter yet, so I'm stuck playing with my 3DS for a bit.

ecaflip

Smash Cadet
Don't feel like playing with that cumbersome gamepad? I hope I can snag a WiiU on a black friday or cyber monday sale. Anyone know if there's any shops advertising their sales yet?

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Don't feel like playing with that cumbersome gamepad? I hope I can snag a WiiU on a black friday or cyber monday sale. Anyone know if there's any shops advertising their sales yet?
The Target around my place is having a $15 off sale on the game. The Toys R Us around here had a Buy One Get One 40% off for WiiU/Wii/DS/3DS, so I got that and Mario Kart 8.

EDIT: The sale for the Toys R Us was yesterday and today, so that's why I got that. I just went out and bought one of the new controllers, but adapters were sold out everywhere :(

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
i only have a wiiupad atm unfortunately but ill play anyone with wiiu smash if theyre up to it

Float SSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Floatwall
3DS FC
0774-4349-7765
I played with the pro controller while I waiting on getting my adapter. Honestly, I think I might stick to the pro controller. It is super solid.

D

Deleted member

Name: Snoopy, real name is Jason.
Talents: being bad at everything
Likes: reptiles, food, competitive video games, music, the outdoors
Dislikes: ignorant people
Goals: Gaming wise, I really hope to become a top smash bros player one day, or at the very least, a notable player amongst the community for both of my mains. Looking forward to talking with you all! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKl0YFZ7Lw

i got 100 in a row on 3ds but havent managed it yet on this version...like 189-2 now, also fought a very good lucario named ipunchkidz

used sheik for 1 match the rest were all mk

ill try and upload some online ladder sets later

ill be going to a tournament on the 29th which is my first offline thing for this game. i still dont have an adapter and have never used a gcn controller for this game yet, so idk what im gonna do about that lol. i thought the other controllers would be **** but tbh the wiiu pad really isnt bad at all

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKl0YFZ7Lw

i got 100 in a row on 3ds but havent managed it yet on this version...like 189-2 now, also fought a very good lucario named ipunchkidz

used sheik for 1 match the rest were all mk

ill try and upload some online ladder sets later

ill be going to a tournament on the 29th which is my first offline thing for this game. i still dont have an adapter and have never used a gcn controller for this game yet, so idk what im gonna do about that lol. i thought the other controllers would be **** but tbh the wiiu pad really isnt bad at all
itoi the pokemon dude?

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
i was #1 for a few weeks on showdown but i havent really done anything since then

pokemon kinda got stale for me after a while but if u wanna play on showdown ill be happy to

D

Deleted member

I know you were lol, I used your semi-stall team and liked it. Gonna send you a PM so we don't clutter this thread up.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Name: Capps (if you want a color, just state it in the application!)
Talents: Technical Writing, Organizational Skills, Music
Dislikes: Bad things O_O
Goals: Keep going as a TO and host a large tournament series
Other facts: I have so many interesting things in my life. I got stories that go on for ages :p

I gotta join the MK crew. I have found I'm seriously liking him as a character now for some reason now.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
This character seems like fun! Hello MK boards!

Name: Glaceon
Talents: Doing Math
Likes: Anime, Video Games, TCG, Board Games, Reading (I think?) and Sleeping
Dislikes: Closed-minded individuals, homework and tests
Goals: Finish my Bachelors in 4 years with good marks so that I can go to graduate school (or at least have many options out of college)
Other Facts:

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Oh hey thanks to Shaya for locking that thread up

That thread really got on my nerves sometimes. In the beginning, it was cool, but as the days went by, it became a thread that was often necroposted in order to start arguments again.

ndayday

BRoomer
for the record I used to think MK was "kind of trash" but now I think "he's pretty ok."

I really want to play some people irl with him at a tournament or a biweekly or something, I'm kind of considering it! I have had some great friendlies online and man I haven't been playing MK for NOTHING RIGHT?

anyone here had success in tournament/local play?

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
for the record I used to think MK was "kind of trash" but now I think "he's pretty ok."

I really want to play some people irl with him at a tournament or a biweekly or something, I'm kind of considering it! I have had some great friendlies online and man I haven't been playing MK for NOTHING RIGHT?

anyone here had success in tournament/local play?
i got 2nd/48 at a local and lost to a diddy. im going to another tournament tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. i think he's good against sonic but he goes even or loses to practically everyone else in top 10. if ur followups and punish game is on point he should be good.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Not yet. Hopefully gonna break out soon and go to a tourney. Sadly, the nearest tourney (Folsom Street Foundry) has their weeklies on a Thursday and is limited to ages 21+.

ndayday

BRoomer
i got 2nd/48 at a local and lost to a diddy. im going to another tournament tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. i think he's good against sonic but he goes even or loses to practically everyone else in top 10. if ur followups and punish game is on point he should be good.
nice, what made Diddy beat you? I know he has combos and that u-air but what made it hard to approach and punish etc.?

Not yet. Hopefully gonna break out soon and go to a tourney. Sadly, the nearest tourney (Folsom Street Foundry) has their weeklies on a Thursday and is limited to ages 21+.
I found tournaments in my town but they only do PM and melee and I'm not really into those :/
wouldn't want to start learning them either, I mean I'm not even good at Smash 4 and have played nearly every day the past almost 3 months. Crazy to think about actually...

my next option would be ann arbor, maybe once work dies down after the holidays.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I found tournaments in my town but they only do PM and melee and I'm not really into those :/
wouldn't want to start learning them either, I mean I'm not even good at Smash 4 and have played nearly every day the past almost 3 months. Crazy to think about actually...

my next option would be ann arbor, maybe once work dies down after the holidays.
Oh, I love P:M. You should try that game as well, though. You don't have to be the best at it, but it's amazing. I main Ganon in that game, but I really hate his shorthop in this game. But, I feel like Meta Knight is my Ganon of Smash 4, as he relies on the enemy effing up, and you taking advantage of that.

Someone help me become 21 years old. 7 years is too long of a wait to get into the tournament: the next game would already come out, for christ's sake.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
Brawl came out when I was 12 years old and my biggest regret was that I never went to any tournies even when I was that young. It's scary when you have to do it yourself but you can take the BART in the bay area to most places and take a bus after that to where you want to go, it will probably take under an hour and a half at the very worst. You also have facebook and social media which wasn't as much of a thing when I was that young, if you just ask to carpool at the tourny's facebook page, then chances are you'll get a response. I also know that if someone who's a really good smasher sponsors you they'll let you in to the foundry, or at least that's what I heard when I asked about it this one time. Where exactly in the bay area are you from? I used to play some melee at a dorm in UC Berkeley, I'm sure you could find some people to play with that I know.

and i lost to diddy because hes op lol

and sleeh is really good

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Brawl came out when I was 12 years old and my biggest regret was that I never went to any tournies even when I was that young. It's scary when you have to do it yourself but you can take the BART in the bay area to most places and take a bus after that to where you want to go, it will probably take under an hour and a half at the very worst. You also have facebook and social media which wasn't as much of a thing when I was that young, if you just ask to carpool at the tourny's facebook page, then chances are you'll get a response. I also know that if someone who's a really good
smasher sponsors you they'll let you in to the foundry, or at least that's what I heard when I asked about it this one time. Where exactly in the bay area are you from? I used to play some melee at a dorm in UC Berkeley, I'm sure you could find some people to play with that I know.

and i lost to diddy because hes op lol

and sleeh is really good
I'm in like the San Ramon area lol

My parents would probably be fine with me going to tourneys as long as someone somewhat responsible is there, but now I just need to find tourneys lmao

Top Bottom