• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Mii Fighter Thread: Where You and Mii Can Talk! Mii Fighter Social!

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Mii's are something I both love and worry about the idea of their inclusion.
Nothing sounds cooler than fighting alongside your favorite Nintendo Character to pummel mii replicas of those people in life that you just can't stand.

With that being said, what if they were confirmed, and with them, they were given the ability to have custom movesets? Sure, I would expect this not to be a problem in tourney gaming, since they will more than likely be banned. But as a more casual smash bros player, I could imagine going online against a random group of players and in every match, there will always be at least one guy who has their mii with the most overpowered build to him.
I think the Mii's would be a pretty cool addition, but if they do, I just really hope they have a pre-set move list like everyone else. Just being able to play as yourself would make them special enough!
Yea, I would imagine that at the end they would give them a pre-set move-set. Not only would it be a lot of time to code it would be balancing hell. Miis have tons of games to work with so an original move-set wouldn't be an issue.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
At the very worst, Mii will just be banned at tournaments. Clearly, Sakurai isn't too worried about having broken or useless characters on the roster.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
At the very worst, Mii will just be banned at tournaments. Clearly, Sakurai isn't too worried about having broken or useless characters on the roster.
How so?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Are you referring to Meta Knight in Brawl?
And Ganon. And Link. And Zelda.

Brawl is horribly unbalanced, with a portion of the cast being completely useless. It got through playtesting, so I would imagine that a character who could only potentially be broken would, too. I know this game is under different standards than Brawl, but I don't think it's too outrageous to think that Mii will have a customizable moveset.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
i think it IS outrageous to think Mii's will havge a customizable moveset... That's never happened and I don't think it ever will. Left aside the fact Mii's still not confirmed in any way.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It's actually very possible since we don't know how the Wii U and 3DS versions will work together. But a character with a customizable moveset is likely since we know it's not Cross-Play.

Smady

Smash Master
And Ganon. And Link. And Zelda.

Brawl is horribly unbalanced, with a portion of the cast being completely useless. It got through playtesting, so I would imagine that a character who could only potentially be broken would, too. I know this game is under different standards than Brawl, but I don't think it's too outrageous to think that Mii will have a customizable moveset.
They may be useless on a competitive level, but no character is unusable on any lower level of play. Every fighting game has a low tier of characters who aren't played in tournaments. Sakurai may have play tested the game in free-for-all with the items turned on, although he knows the game is played under other settings and leaves it open-ended for higher skilled players.

Not that I disagree on it helping Mii, I simply don't think Sakurai cares about tournament balance. I'm sure he can make a balanced set for Mii that evens out if you play using the wackier stages and items, which largely means it's balanced until you start removing stages, items and so on.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Probably to show that there are characters much worse than the Mii to support. :troll:
Ha ha, ****. I was changing my sig, and had to upload it to get it to work. But Baby Bowser is pretty terrible.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Moving as was asked.

As far as avatars go, we've got one in already in the form of Villager, and thankfully he's got a nice unique little moveset by the looks. If the Mii's were to join him that's two player-substitutes - characters with no established personality but what you choose to make them.
Two player substitutes out of how many other characters?

Consider then the WFT's lack of personality (and I like the WFT, and her moveset, but again she's not a 'character' per-se) and I begin to question why we'd not just miss the Mii's entirely in place of an extra fan favourite.
That's the thing though. Miis are a fan favorite.

Not among hardcore enthusiasts like us, but among casual gamers.

As aforementioned, oversaturation could also be a problem online - nobody wants to fight Mii's all day long.
Nobody wants to fight anyone all day long.

That's not a Mii specific problem.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I beilieve it is possible a Mii could get in. Are they one of my top most wanted characters, no not really. However I would welcome them.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I hope they don't get revealed in this Direct.

If they were to be in (which they most likely are), I'd rather they be revealed at E3.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Well with the upcoming direct I'll make sure I get plenty of fries (get it cause a lot of people are gonna get salty :troll:)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If my Mii is playable, I want my Mii to have the ice cream move... the one where the ice cream piles up on an ice cream cone... and opponents get freeze-burned when they contact with the ice cream tower.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Is there a character more frustrating to support than the Mii? I try to stay away from this thread because 9/10 posts are bashing them, but really I aught to just stay away from the Smash community all together. You wouldn't believe how frequently Mii's are brought up in threads they are totally irrelevant to and then roundly mocked. Miis fulfil nearly every criteria for deserving to be in Smash:

1. Uniqueness
2. Fame/recognisability amongst the whole gaming world.
3. Huge moveset potential
4. Immense significance/importance to Nintendo and Nintendo's history
5. Being part of a massive Nintendo franchise that is not get represented by a playable character
6. High popularity (outside the Smash community obviously)
7. Iconic status (the only thing on this list that I'd say is arguable, but considering the big games they've been in and the role they've played since their inception, I'd say that they are iconic).

Apart from maybe no. 7 I think all the items on the list are objective, I can't see how they can be argued against. However none of that matters apparently, it's all completely ignored, not acknowledged whatsoever, it's just a case of 'Miis are bad. They shouldn't be in the game. End of discussion' rather than there being an abundance of any objective or constructive subjective reasons why they shouldn't be playable, hence why I consider the hate against them a bandwagon. This is unique to Miis, there is literally no other character in the same situation. Yes there are other characters who garner lots of hate such as Waluigi and Pacman, but they don't really tick nearly as many boxes for deserving to be playable.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm kinda amazed at the amount of hate they in particularly get from so many people, they aren't really that terrible in my opinion.

And most of the arguments people use against them aren't really very good arguments at all. What Sakurai will most likely do is make sure that your main Mii is the default Mii that gets used for the main game so the chances of coming across any inappropriate looking Mii's are incredibly low, heck I had my 3DS since it first launched and I have yet to see even a single inappropriate Mii to this date, I think Nintendo has done a pretty good job at minimizing the likelihood of one encountering such Mii's in the games so I'm pretty sure Smash Bros wouldn't be any different.

Not to mention that Nintendo has put the Mii's into some pretty hectic situations before so having them in a cartoony fighting game where you launch your opponents off screen in a cartoony fashion shouldn't be that much of an issue. And seeing as how Sakurai handles characters who don't often talk in their games, he will most likely keep the Mii's silent. Their visual design's aren't really all that bad either, especially since we have arguably got a few other characters who look even simpler than the Mii's do. I think they fit in just fine with the other cast of characters in the series.

I don't really support the Mii's, however, I won't deny that they do have a really good chance of making it into the games and that most of the arguments people use against them just aren't very good arguments at all and will most likely not hold them back from potentially appearing into the games.

But that's just my point of view really. :/ Whoops, this post turned out larger than I expected, sorry about that.... ^^;

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
It is really sad actually, the Miis get so much hate because people don't want them in due to being simplistic or just being aimed for causal market which is apparently really bad towards a lot of the "hardcore" smash fans. They try so hard to argue against them with the same arguments that people here have already disproven or made a good counter arguments towards.

I hear the same arguments get thrown around all the time:
  • "Do we really need another avatar character? We have the Villager."
  • "They can't do anything but sports! Villager and Peach already have that covered."
  • "They cant be in due to people making inappropriate faces online!"
  • "Miis cant be in because they represent real people and they ARN'T Nintendo characters."
  • "Sakurai said the Miis where gimmicky and his opinion years ago is still fact!"
  • "Miis can't fight! It would be wrong if they were forced to fight!"
  • "They so outdated and stupid! No way that they will make it looking like that!"

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I do kind of wish people would not give Miis so much hate. They're the butt of so many jokes around here, but I think they would work just fine in Smash. To me, they fulfill the criteria of being a Nintendo All-Star, and because of that, I think they're justified.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I think the opposition stems a lot from them just not fitting in as well. I think probably a lot of the same people who don't like WFT because she's "boring" also hate Miis for the same reason. They also reek of corporate blandness designed to be appealing to the lowest common denominator. They can't really stand up to the personality that the other characters bring. I don't think it's a "bad argument" for people to express their opinions that they don't fit in, aren't appealing, are boring, don't add new gameplay, etc. etc. It's only bad if you assume everyone feels the same way. But the number of people opposed to them could catch Sakurai's notice, of course.

Personally, I don't want them in unless they're implemented in a highly specific way. Otherwise they seem like WFT but without the quirkiness that makes her more interesting to me.

Given the emphasis Sakurai has put on how the character "feels" I can see it going either way. If so many fans feel this negatively, it's quite possible that Sakurai feels the same way. And his comments in the past suggest he might feel that way. On the other hand, their sales and importance are huge, and so if Sakurai likes them even a little bit, they seem quite likely to me (unless Nintendo's research suggests that overall more fans don't want them than want them).

All in all, I don't care that much. But I doubt I'll be welcoming their inclusion, even if it will have no effect on my want for the game.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I think the opposition stems a lot from them just not fitting in as well. I think probably a lot of the same people who don't like WFT because she's "boring" also hate Miis for the same reason. They also reek of corporate blandness designed to be appealing to the lowest common denominator. They can't really stand up to the personality that the other characters bring. I don't think it's a "bad argument" for people to express their opinions that they don't fit in, aren't appealing, are boring, don't add new gameplay, etc. etc. It's only bad if you assume everyone feels the same way. But the number of people opposed to them could catch Sakurai's notice, of course.

Personally, I don't want them in unless they're implemented in a highly specific way. Otherwise they seem like WFT but without the quirkiness that makes her more interesting to me.

Given the emphasis Sakurai has put on how the character "feels" I can see it going either way. If so many fans feel this negatively, it's quite possible that Sakurai feels the same way. And his comments in the past suggest he might feel that way. On the other hand, their sales and importance are huge, and so if Sakurai likes them even a little bit, they seem quite likely to me (unless Nintendo's research suggests that overall more fans don't want them than want them).

All in all, I don't care that much. But I doubt I'll be welcoming their inclusion, even if it will have no effect on my want for the game.
There's nothing wrong with people having an opinion, but these aren't good arguments in my book. They don't fit in, they're boring, aren't appealing, lack personality, doesn't add to gameplay etc. You could say the exact same things about literally any character, actually let's do exactly that!

"I don't want Little Mac in the game, I feel he doesn't fit in well with the rest of the cast. I feel him just being a boxer makes him boring, unappealing and prevents him adding anything to the game. Also I think he lacks personality".

There you go, easy. People talk as though these 'arguments' are unique to Miis but as you can see you can apply the exact same 'arguments' to any character. I don't really consider them arguments anyway because the long and short of it is 'I don't want Miis because I don't like them', an argument should be more than than that, they should have a bit of objectivity to them, be specific reasons why they shouldn't be in the game beyond your personal opinion.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Honestly I felt Miis were pretty much sky-rocketed in chance as soon as Wii Fit Trainer was revealed. They became shoe-ins as we got the Mii related stages, especially when ominously they weren't seen in the background of any of the stages. (Even the Find Mii/Streetpass Quest stage has a cage with no Mii inside it where they could of easily had a Mii there and then suddenly Miis would be in a Conductor Link/Toon Link situation. Where people at first think (Or at least hope) that means they're deconfirmed and they're only background characters. Only to turn out they are playable and Alfonzo a different Mii takes it's place.)

Wii Fit Trainer got in because of the success of the Wii Fit branch of the Wii Series. But the reason she was unexpected entirely, is it's possible to play Wii Fit while barely seeing the Wii Fit Trainer him/herself if you never go to the Strength Training or Yoga parts of the game. The Miis are the far more memorable part of Wii Fit because they're you, plus there's only two games that outsold Wii Fit on the Wii console: And they were also games starring Miis.

So whenever Miis are revealed, whether that's early as tomorrow or later on. When/if they're revealed and I see all this rage of "WHY ARE MIIS PLAYABLE?!" I'd just be in a chair, sitting back, and saying "This was inevitable since E3 2013, this shouldn't have come as a surprise".

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
It is really sad actually, the Miis get so much hate because people don't want them in due to being simplistic or just being aimed for causal market which is apparently really bad towards a lot of the "hardcore" smash fans. They try so hard to argue against them with the same arguments that people here have already disproven or made a good counter arguments towards.

I hear the same arguments get thrown around all the time:
  • "Do we really need another avatar character? We have the Villager."
  • "They can't do anything but sports! Villager and Peach already have that covered."
  • "They cant be in due to people making inappropriate faces online!"
  • "Miis cant be in because they represent real people and they ARN'T Nintendo characters."
  • "Sakurai said the Miis where gimmicky and his opinion years ago is still fact!"
  • "Miis can't fight! It would be wrong if they were forced to fight!"
  • "They so outdated and stupid! No way that they will make it looking like that!"

You make me want to type the counter arguments:

1) Yes. Cause I can edit my Mii.
2) Streetpass games rock the 3DS market. And use Miis, Not to play sports. Also mine can Kart race mario. And if racing is a sport than Formula one and Nascar drivers are athletes.
3) MarioKart. Has Online Miis. Streetpass has more than just online accessible miis. And yeah, I've seen dickfaces and hitler staches. I also have played shooting games before and after people enjoyed the practice of 'tea bagging.'
4) They're the nintendo avatars of real people. Totally nintendo characters. Shigeru Miyamoto owns my Mii and if he wants to make an amazing game centered around it.... Yeah, I'd be pretty overjoyed about it. Plus how'd my Mii get into multiple versions of Mario Kart without being a Mario character? It's cause I'm totally a mario character!
5) Sakurai said Miis were gimmicky years ago. They've got more games and stuff since then.
6) Wii Boxing. Wii Swordfighting. Find Mii 1 and 2. In Wii Play they got into tanks. Mii's are violent all the time. I'm shocked I haven't played "Mii committing Arson for Insurance 1 + 2" on my ads yet.
7) Nintendo's main sales are 3DS, which uses Mii's heavily (and well). Before that Nintendo's main sales were Wii's. Which introduced, and used mii's heavily (and also well). Also the Find Mii Ghost works well opposite them and they still show up in smash and look fine. And Game and Watch looks 'outdated' and is one of the coolest animations in the game.

Honestly due to the length of time for the direct tomorrow, I think Mii has the best shot, as his/her/shklis/shkler inclusion may want some kind of tutorial teaser and the promise of the customization they keep boasting and a good reason to use your 3DS as a controller on the Wii U (Save data), And I know many seem to fear the idea of a customizable move set, but I think they're not going to just make a poorly made/executed mechanic and throw it in the game.

Ignoring tripping, they don't tend to do that. So I have faith the potential of a Mii is a promise to be embraced, instead of greeted with apathy.

Are there characters I'd rather have then Mii? Yes... but honestly if Nintendo really goes with the potential of custom move sets... I can make several of those characters as Mii's. And maybe even put on appropriate moves? I found it fun making comic book characters in soul calibur 3 and 4, I think Smash ones would also be a lot of fun to play as and use, and not necessarily being game breaking.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
There's nothing wrong with people having an opinion, but these aren't good arguments in my book. They don't fit in, they're boring, aren't appealing, lack personality, doesn't add to gameplay etc. You could say the exact same things about literally any character, actually let's do exactly that!

"I don't want Little Mac in the game, I feel he doesn't fit in well with the rest of the cast. I feel him just being a boxer makes him boring, unappealing and prevents him adding anything to the game. Also I think he lacks personality".

There you go, easy. People talk as though these 'arguments' are unique to Miis but as you can see you can apply the exact same 'arguments' to any character. I don't really consider them arguments anyway because the long and short of it is 'I don't want Miis because I don't like them', an argument should be more than than that, they should have a bit of objectivity to them, be specific reasons why they shouldn't be in the game beyond your personal opinion.
They're opinions. Of course they're not objective. I said that myself.

When it comes to whether you want them, whether you think they should be in the game, rather than will they be in the game, they are perfectly fine things to say. In some cases, we can quantify things (like, if I said their sales weren't good enough, you could point out that games starring Miis have more sales than any series except Mario and Pokemon), but not for these.

When it comes to whether I expect them to be in the game, all I said was that if such opposition to Miis is very common, or shared by Sakurai, then they don't have a good chance. You can't deny that they have a hate base, it's not some eccentric quirk of one person hating on them for reasons that are not understood by most people... All I was saying is that given that, it's possible that Sakurai feels similarly.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
No confirmation today but we at least know that Find Mii is now a stage!!!!!

Smady

Smash Master
Not to be a downer here, but I think Mii is de-confirmed. He showed up all over that trailer and in the Find Mii stage, albeit as the king character. There is no longer any mystery to where the Miis are. They seem to be a part of the online profile system. I may be wrong on this, I don't think we'll see Miis as playable and all over the interface.

Last edited:

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Not to be a downer here, but I think Mii is de-confirmed. He showed up all over that trailer and in the Find Mii stage, albeit as the king character. There is no longer any mystery to where the Miis are. They seem to be a part of the online profile system. I may be wrong on this, I don't think we'll see Miis as playable and all over the interface.
Also notice how the find Mii stage's icon is a crown and not the obvious MII logo, if the mii was a character that stage's icon would surely be different.

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Hey we cant be so quick for deconfirmations.

Ok first off the Mii is a different case because its an avatar character so of curse they will use them in a verity of ways other than just a character. Just because one Mii is on a stage don't mean they are cut because there are tons of them, we've seen games where they were playable and sit at the sidelines like Mario Kart, NSMBU, Nintendo Land, various Wii/Street Pass games. To put it simply they can act as the crowd and the player at the same time. Besides there is more than just the King Mii in the Find Mii games; what about all the hero Miis? As for the Interface it's already a given we'll see them there because they are used for the Nintendo Network, and still they can be used as playable character in other games.

As the crown icon, it could be the Mii's icon or just a placeholder. I mean we saw Megaman get a gear for his icon even though they could of picked something more iconic. The icon could also just represent the street-pass games like how elctro-plankton and DS got icons. Just becuse it's not an obvious icon dosn't mean it cant be the Miis' icon

At the end I think these updates just help the Mii more because we finally got a confirmation of the Find Mii stage!

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Toon Link proved that a character can be both background & playable.

However I must say that the stage icon is pretty weird & there's no way it would be different from playable mii's icon.

Smady

Smash Master
You're very right, we don't conclusively know if Mii is in or not. But one of the main things going for it was that it wasn't seen anywhere in the game before... but now it has been.

Sakurai isn't holding the Mii close to his chest, he's flagrantly using it in the direct to talk about the online systems. It would strike me as odd if the Mii showed up playable after that most of all. The fact it's also on that Find Mii stage also takes away the credibility of the "missing Mii" in that one update.

Another thing is that we got customizable movesets already in the form of changes to things like Mario's specials. That was one of Mii's main selling points and seeing it on other characters definitely hurts its chances.

Again, I hate to be the bearer of bad news to Mii's fans, and it looked like he was building up steam after being kept in the dark for so long, but I think he's a victim along with many others tonight.

Top Bottom