• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Mii Fighter Thread: Where You and Mii Can Talk! Mii Fighter Social!

Junahu

Smash Ace
Now that we've had our Nintendo Direct, it looks like people are already starting to read into as much Mii information as they can find.

So first of all, this is confirmation of a Find Mii stage. I have to mention that, as the initial screenshot left a lot of room for doubt.

The presence of an un-outlined Mii in the cage is not in itself a deconfirmation of Miis being playable. But it does appear to deconfirm the cage itself as being a stage gimmick. We won't be having any players trapped in the cage.

It is worth discussing any potential reasons why the Mii was not in its cage in the initial screenshot. It COULD be the same deal as Toon Link in his own stage, where playing as a Mii removes the Mii in the background. It could also be that the Mii is freed from the cage at some point, then potentially re-trapped, creating a pseudo narrative for the stage (like how the moon falls in Termina Bay, only to be pushed back by the four giants).

Every stage appears to have its own icon, or the icon of its representative series if it has one. Mario stages get a Mario icon, Kid Icarus stages get a Kid Icarus icon, etc. So if Miis are playable, it makes sense for every Mii stage to use the same icon.
Find Mii's stage uses the Crown icon, which seems very specific as an icon that represents Miis. It also clashes a little with how the Pilotwings stage uses its own logo, instead of some kind of Mii logo. However, that could be because Pilotwings is considered its own series, rather than a Mii series (because only the most recent release uses Miis).
Thus the stage icons are not currently a deconfirmation of Miis being playable.

The Pilotwings stage still has no Miis populating the island. This is particularly noticeable during the fly by of the Duel platform and the main plaza. As previously mentioned this could be an indication that this is not considered a Mii stage.

So that leaves the Tamodatchi stage; the only Mii related stage not to show up in the Direct, and also the only stage whose icon we've yet to see.

One final relevant point that the Nintendo Direct has made; Customisable movesets are a thing, but any character's moveset can be customised. If Miis will be playable, it appears they will have a set moveset like the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Mii is deconfirmed, can we have the Wandering Heroes instead? :awesome: They won't have penis faces nor Hitler faces either! :awesome:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Well the man himself said that there was still more info about the custom move-sets so who knows, maybe he might be saving the Miis because they have something to do with the extra information. Besides I pretty sure the custom move-sets weren't their biggest selling point to them, I think the biggest selling point was just being able to play as your Mii. I know a lot of people were against the idea of a custom move-set because of how potentially broken it would be.

Staarih

Smash Master
What a totally absurd looking game!

...but for some reason those videos helped me gain new respect for Mii. Who knew.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Miis are in a Toon Link/Alfonzo situation now after the direct. Them being icons in the game and the King Mii appearance in the Find Mii stage don't mean anything yet.

Some people are going to think this was a Mii deconfirmation, (Or at least hope it was) but it certainly is not.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It's definitely a blow to the Mii's chances though.

You clearly think it's a smaller blow, but it's a blow nonetheless. It was still right to say that Toon Link's chances were hurt by Conductor Link. Sakurai even took special measures to replace him if Tink is in the match, which shows that he did consider it weird for him to be a stage element while fighting on the same stage. So it matters, but Sakurai can choose to deal with it. He could do the same with Mii, but most, but clearly not all, stage elements end up not being playable.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kinda interesting he would find it weird to have Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks Link together but had no problems with having OoT Link and Young Link or Mario and Doctor Mario together in Melee...

I think it's probably because he wanted to give Toon Link the conductor outfit as an alternate costume but that's a discussion for another thread.

As for the Mii's, it is a little odd that they where absent from the cage in the first screenshot. I wonder if there is some kind of process of you breaking that cage during the stage (or defeat the boss) or if they disappear from it once they are unlocked. (Assuming they are playable)

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yeah I won't deny that Mii's chances have lowered somewhat. But it's definitely not a tell-tale sign they're not playable like alot of other characters in the direct got.

As for the Mii's, it is a little odd that they where absent from the cage in the first screenshot. I wonder if there is some kind of process of you breaking that cage during the stage (or defeat the boss) or if they disappear from it once they are unlocked. (Assuming they are playable)
Maybe Miis are an unlockable, and on the 3DS version of the game. The cage has something to do with being able to unlock them? (Like say defeat the Dark Emperor 5 or 10 times. Which saves the Mii being unlocked each time so it's like you literally unlocked the Mii from the cage)

Granted it might be odd that'd they'd make Mii an unlockable since you would think that would be something in the starter roster but regardless.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The Find Mii thing is NOT a blow to the Miis chances.

Having a random Mii from your 3DS memory in the cage while you play as your own Mii is probably going to be a thing. (It was a thing in other games where any of your miis that your not using would cameo somewhere)

And even if it did hurt them Tomodachi Collection's western release helps them and pretty much overshadows any blow they somehow received.

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Tomodachi Life Direct! (US version)

Edit Ninja'd . . . or should I say Greninja'd :troll:

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
99% certain I was wrong and the Mii is out.

But hey, custom movesets for everybody!

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Tomodachi Life being announced localy a while after the stage reveal in smash . . . coincidence . . . maybe HAHA

Well this is probably good for the Miis and with the June release date we might be able to see the Miis at E3 ^^

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
I Think Tomodachi Is Good For the Mii, Like More Personailty and Stuff

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You know I can't believe I'm saying this but....

Tomodachi Life could end up making me a Mii supporter. Seriously I just watched that direct and I haven't a clue what I watched but I want it.

Also with it being released so close to e3 we could be seeing Miis revealed then.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Tomodachi Life getting a Western release helps... I guess.

It's kinda small beans compared to Wii Sports, Wii Party, etc. The fact is that Mii games already had over a hundred million in sales. It's not like they were obscure and this game is going to make an up-and-comer worthy. It could help moveset potential though (although Find Mii probably helped more in that regard).

The game already existed in Japan; getting a Western localization is less important than the fact that it existed, which we already knew. Secondly, we don't know if this decision was made early enough to affect the roster in the first place. We're getting to the point where announcements are likely to have no bearing on Smash anymore. We're too close to 3DS launch and the roster was largely decided a long time ago, and finalized almost a year ago. Something announced has to clearly have been decided before E3 last year for it to be relevant to roster decisions. I imagine that this decision was made too late for it to matter, since the game was released in Japan a year ago, and I'm guessing the localization decision was made after release.

Tomodachi Collection (the Japanese release) does help though. But like I said, Miis weren't lacking for big games.

As an off-topic aside though, there's no way I'm getting that game unless they reverse their decision to remove the gay relationship "bug". Gay people aren't a glitch, and reacting to it that way is very alienating to gay gamers (and family members of gay people). Just like with their female characters, Nintendo needs to get with the times (they seem to be making some effort with female characters at least).

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Oh God, this means Miis are getting Stephen Hawking voices in SSB aren't they?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I have a question about tomodachi life I'm hoping somebody can answer...

I saw that they can have baby Miis in the game, do they ever grow up or do they stay babies?

(There's just so much I don't understand! :S)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
As an off-topic aside though, there's no way I'm getting that game unless they reverse their decision to remove the gay relationship "bug". Gay people aren't a glitch, and reacting to it that way is very alienating to gay gamers (and family members of gay people). Just like with their female characters, Nintendo needs to get with the times (they seem to be making some effort with female characters at least).
if i remember correctly, that "bug" actually causes a glitch that deletes all data you had of the game and also cause a male and male couple to have a pregnancy for some reason.

You're actually looking too deep into this.

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Amen~
As a gay gamer (or a gaymer :3) I totally agree. Pretty sad too because animal crossing was taking a step in the right direction.

Anyway a Mii reveal at E3 dose make more sense now because now they game release to go with the reveal ^^. I also hope the fun crazy personalities of the Miis make their way into the move-set for them. As for voices I'm pretty sure they will go with the ones that you hear in the WiiU start up plaza.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Anyone catch the Tomodachi Life (the localization of Tomodachi Collection) reveal? That game basically answers the "Miis have no personality!" debate. And now that the series has been officially exposed to the rest of the world, I expect to see more of it's stage in the 3DS version!

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
I have a question about tomodachi life I'm hoping somebody can answer...

I saw that they can have baby Miis in the game, do they ever grow up or do they stay babies?

(There's just so much I don't understand! :S)
They grow up and with Streetpass they move to other islands as adults.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
if i remember correctly, that "bug" actually causes a glitch that deletes all data you had of the game and also cause a male and male couple to have a pregnancy for some reason.
I didn't see anything about the bug that causes gay relationships being related to any damaging bug. They released a patch which fixed other issues and also fixes the issue of "human relationships become strange", their oblique and insulting way of referring to gay relationships. Intuitively, it also seems highly unlikely that a save data glitch and a gay relationship glitch would have the same root (stranger things have happened, but it's unlikely).

They could easily have removed male pregnancies and real problems without removing gay relationships. They could've added lesbian relationships too. Instead they removed them and made it clear through their announcement that they wanted to remove gay relationships.

I don't think I'm reading too much into that.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I didn't see anything about the bug that causes gay relationships being related to any damaging bug. They released a patch which fixed other issues and also fixes the issue of "human relationships become strange", their oblique and insulting way of referring to gay relationships. Intuitively, it also seems highly unlikely that a save data glitch and a gay relationship glitch would have the same root (stranger things have happened, but it's unlikely).

They could easily have removed male pregnancies and real problems without removing gay relationships. They could've added lesbian relationships too. Instead they removed them and made it clear through their announcement that they wanted to remove gay relationships.

I don't think I'm reading too much into that.
I was misinformed. I will admit that then. As I never heard of the insult excuse.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Anyone else feeling like Miis may not get in because of the customization aspect being a thing for everyone?

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else feeling like Miis may not get in because of the customization aspect being a thing for everyone?
Nah I don't think the customization really hurts or help them. Besides the positives are really stacking in their favor.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Intuitively, it also seems highly unlikely that a save data glitch and a gay relationship glitch would have the same root (stranger things have happened, but it's unlikely).
Actually, they do have the same route. You need to corrupt the mii data in order to put same gender miis into an existing relationship.
The relationship glitch IS the save data bug.

“A critical bug occurred in the original Japanese version of the game which made it impossible for the player to continue the game. When Mii characters were imported from a Wii console, or the previous game in the Tomodachi Collection series on Nintendo DS into the Nintendo 3DS version, it could lead to scrambled Mii data within the Nintendo 3DS version.

This could result in different Miis being randomly assigned to existing in-game relationships, such as already married Mii, or as just one other example, giving the appearance of same-sex relations. Because this bug caused the inability for the player to save the game data and continue the game, we released a patch."

http://candycrushcopeland.tumblr.co...xplains-why-it-patched-same-sex-relationships

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Aha.

Even so, it would be pretty simple to allow same-sex relationships and I'm bothered that their response is just to remove them and pretend that there's no reason people would be upset about removing that option (even if it was the result of a bug).

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
How would you guys feel about getting the Miis by beating the Dark Lord in an event match.

No. Especially when customization wasn't the only way they could fight.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Wanted to quote Andiminda's post since apparently some stuff from the direct are being used as more excuses to believe Miis could not be playable

1. They're your profile indicator for online.
There they are. Right where they belong. They just show who you are and... well, not much to say here.
It doesn't hurt them terribly.
That's definitely something right

2. This is the biggest reason. I'll attract attention with a picture.

Series with a stage or playable character are ones that usually get a series icon.
But wait?
That symbol is a crown, to represent Find Mii.
This stage is not from a "Mii series"
It's a Find Mii stage from Find Mii
If the Miis were playable characters, they would have a generic Mii icon.
And they're stage's icon would be exactly the same.
The Miis aren't going to have a crown icon if they are playable.
Look at it like this:

Saki's assist has a Smash Bros symbol because there will not be a playable Sin and Punishment character, nor will there be a Sin and Punishment Stage.

Midna's assist has the Zelda icon.
This is because either:
-Zelda has a playable character
-Zelda has a stage
And obviously, it has both.

Or even Nintendog.
There will not be any playable Nintendog characters. Both Nintendog and Nintencat are deconfirmed.
But because there is a Nintendog stage, there is a Nintendog Icon.

But the Mii Stage doesn't represent the Mii character, only those few specific games.

This stage will likely have a Tomodachi Life icon
Representing that series of games, but not the Miis.
I somehow have a feeling that Franchise icons don't nearly matter as much as they seemingly did in Brawl. (And even in Brawl there were a few series that got an icon but no playable characters like Electroplankton or the DS symbol for Pictochat did). The icon argument is irrelevant because of this. They could easily give Miis their own symbol while still having Find Mii having the Crown, Pilotwings having a plane, Wii Fit Trainer having a silhouette of herself for her icon, and even if Tomodachi Collection has it's own icon that isn't straight up a general Mii icon. That won't matter either. In Brawl there are examples of both Stages with icons without a playable character (Electroplankton, Pictochat, and Smashville (At the time at least)). And also at least one character without a single stage for them (ROB)

As much as it probably would of made more sense to have at least Find Mii and Wii Fit Trainer having a Wii/Mii series icon, we can't rule out the possibility that this logic of previously known stages and characters must have an icon indicating them in order for a character to be considered could be made an exception with the Miis. The Mii series is rather expansive enough, so it's definitely a possibility they just had separate icons for any games that feature Miis to indicate the particular series. While the Mii's general icon will show up if/when the Miis are revealed.

To be honest, despite WFT getting it's own Icon. I kinda consider WFT our first Wii/Mii series represenative anyway. And having Wii Fit Trainer + Miis together would probably be the most proper representation of the Top 3 most successful (in terms of sales) Wii Games. (Which were Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit). Smash 4 for the exception of Greninja and maybe Mega Man, the other Newcomers were borrowed from successful Wii games. Wii Fit, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Punch-Out Wii, and Super Mario Galaxy.

I just don't see it. We've already seen them as non-playable characters representing you and your data, why make them playable?
They're freaking Miis.
No.
They're getting representation through stage cameos and your account.
Hey, what happened to "1. They're your profile indicator for online.
There they are. Right where they belong. They just show who you are and... well, not much to say here.
It doesn't hurt them terribly."

Also thanks for going back to "My opinion is enough to keep this character out of Smash Bros." territory :p

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
A thought occurred to me.

What if Smash Bros adopted the Miis speech technology from tomodachi life? So instead of the announcer saying "Mii!" when you select Miis, it'll change to a robotic Miis voice and say the actual name of the miis. The same would happen on the victory screen.

This is a bit of a stretch but imagine if you could edit the Miis speech taunt so they could say whatever you want during their taunt. I doubt they'd do that but it's still interesting to think about.

SonicMario

Smash Master
A thought occurred to me.

What if Smash Bros adopted the Miis speech technology from tomodachi life? So instead of the announcer saying "Mii!" when you select Miis, it'll change to a robotic Miis voice and say the actual name of the miis. The same would happen on the victory screen.

This is a bit of a stretch but imagine if you could edit the Miis speech taunt so they could say whatever you want during their taunt. I doubt they'd do that but it's still interesting to think about.
That sounds like that'd be a bit of a hassle and take much development time on what's not really important for Smash Bros.

Also there's something that makes me kind of want the Announcer to say Mii. Because of the humor of it sounding like the announcer is referring to himself xD

"THIS GAME'S WINNER IS... ME!"

Top Bottom