• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Meteors Approach: What 1.06 Could Mean for Yoshi

AirJordans

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
haventthewit
Switch FC
SW-6898-5786-4663
I'm not saying Yoshi is terrible, since I think he's pretty a'ight. This reasoning just doesn't make any sense.
This for sure. Yikarur, we're complaining that he's so close to being legitimate that it's a shame. Plus you're saying what we've been saying this whole time which is that Yoshi is more about reads and opportunity while his company in the A-tier can control a match more readily with kill set ups. And on a side note-

At high level play you need patience. I know a lot of you lack that, but
Since a lot of these same people you're arguing with here has said the same thing so much, saying something like this is a bummer dx.

I guess I don't have patience but at least I have tact.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Every single Yoshi (outside maybe Delta) that has posted on Smashboards the past 8 years almost does not have patience.
I do not think telling people to be patient will make them do it automatically, telling someone to "be patient" or "relax" has almost scientifically and objectively been proven to actually provoke more irritation in a majority of people, as it's likely the worst few words you can use if your actual intent is to calm a person during some troubling moments.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Delta patience OP. BEWARE MY TIMEOUTS!

Yoshi isn't bad, but relying on reads sucks, which means he isn't good. Good characters have things they can just do. Bad characters don't have that luxury and have to work to do anything.

Yoshi isn't extreme in that he doesn't have anything he can do against the majority of the cast, but against those that matter he's bad, and that's all that's important.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Especially early on in the meta when everyone is just trying to find the next OP thing to abuse.
Right now being Kong cyclone and WFT jumbo hoops, before it was hsb and trip sapling being OP/called for bans.

In terms of characters, 3ds and wii u has been sheik and diddy centric. Moved along to Sonic Luigi ZSS for a bit and currently right now it's C.falcon and Fox hype.

Last edited:

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
What does the jumbo hoop do? I know of the kong cyclones shenanigans. XD But what's this about jumbo hoops, none of my friends pick WFT.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Jumbo Hoops is basically a long lasting, high range version of WFT's Up-B, that acts similar to DK's default recovery (lots of horizontal movement, little vertical recovery). It has incredible shield damage/stabbing ability, but suffers from HORRID landing lag, which you can see in the video Slush linked to. It's not terribly busted, but it's quite strong.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Sometimes what you say is true, but I still write it off completely because of how ridiculous your profile picture is.
Wait, are you one of those people that'll drop peoples opinions if they have a pony avatar?
Fugg, what difference does it make tho if people have Pokemon or Sonic avatars. Both fanbases are equally autistic and bad, maybe Sonic a bit worse than Pony.

Sonic > Pony > Pokemon

That aside, the whole jumbo hoops and kong cyclone is basically ban stages with platforms and run to the ledge if they miss so you can punish them and they're forced to use it less.

Last edited:

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Yeah. It looks pretty strong. I prefer the dongcopter though. XD (You can't go wrong with Dankey Kong)

Last edited:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sometimes what you say is true, but I still write it off completely because of how ridiculous your profile picture is.
That doesn't make any sense. What he says is true, but you choose to ignore the truth because of who said it's avatar? You don't discard a scientist's research because you think his shirt is dumb.

Saying stuff like this just makes you look bad. If something as dumb and arbitrary as that sways your opinions, people will assume your opinions probably aren't very credible. You didn't give anybody a reason to think they shouldn't read your other posts in this thread. Now they'd have a far more justified reason than yours to discard your posts.

Genetic fallacy is bottom of the barrel. Don't fall into that trap.

JackD

Smash Rookie
Doesn't UTilt combo into UAir for a kill at high percents(Mario at 115% dies to this)? And at low percents chaining UTilts into UAir NAir is a quick 36% combo. Nair is also ridiculous and at mid percents combos into itself if they don't tech. Yoshi has kill setups and early combos.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush

Utilt to Uair isnt reliable at all, people don't have enough hitstun even at high percent for us to ever get the DJ uair off. He has decent early percent combos but that's about it, 0 kill setups still.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Thats not true. uptilt upair is absolutely reliable. It's one of the best things Yoshi has. It doesn't always combo at kill% but it works up until about 100%.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well past 100% is what matters most.
I never seem to get it on people even when they're past 80%, either they're DI'ing up so have more distance and that extra few frame window from the hitstun to get away or what cause I certainly can't get it on people once they're past that limit. 100% is maybe stretching it.

Yikarur

Smash Master
DIing up doesn't do anything. Uptilt upair is a very important damage wrecking combo. Uptilt -> upair -> dj upair -> upair is a true combo starting about 40% and does about 40%. You shouldn't dismiss it. Even though it's not guaranteed to help killing, it's an important move and combo overall.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm dismissing it as a killing move though, which the person I was answering earlier was saying it was.

Doesn't UTilt combo into UAir for a kill at high percents(Mario at 115% dies to this)?
Utilt to Uair isnt reliable at all, people don't have enough hitstun even at high percent for us to ever get the DJ uair off. He has decent early percent combos but that's about it, 0 kill setups still.
Wasn't saying not reliable low percent, entire post was just saying it won't net you kills at high percents.

Last edited:

1hipG33K

Smash Cadet
NNID
1hipG33K
3DS FC
2294-5791-6012
DIing up doesn't do anything. Uptilt upair is a very important damage wrecking combo. Uptilt -> upair -> dj upair -> upair is a true combo starting about 40% and does about 40%. You shouldn't dismiss it. Even though it's not guaranteed to help killing, it's an important move and combo overall.
The looming issue for Yoshi's is kill setups. This is why I'm all for nerfing his throw power, and shortening the end lag on those throws. It would give us an actual reward and purpose for the risk of Yoshi's grab.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
People, please do not post new threads about patch notes/discussions. Keep the discussion here, the social, or in appropriate threads that already exist (MU discussions, etc). I don't want the boards to potentially explode. @_@

Last edited:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Seems like a whole lot of nothin'.

I don't wanna say things I don't know for sure, cause it could very much be placebo effect. Like egg roll feels like he moves faster, but I have no way to prove that.

Last edited:

HoboJoe

Smash Rookie
What about Bair? It seems to come out significantly faster.

Edit: I'm wrong, I thought it was faster because of the slowdown when it normally hits pre-patch

Last edited:

Charu

Smash Cadet
From what I've played today before work, nothing too different from what I could tell. It's probably something extremely small if something did change.

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
To be honest, since the top tiers got nerfed, i have a feeling yoshi will climb the tier lists.

sonic an diddy got nerfed to the ground, so thats 2 fast characters out

Top Bottom