• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Melee Player Locator Project

goateeguy

Smash Ace
five minutes later:
I was intentionally vague about all this to avoid potentially spreading too much information about you around Smashboards, but let me know if you'd prefer I edit it out, and I will do so as soon as I can.

Anyway, my point is that it's already relatively simple to find this sort of information from basically anyone, regardless of whether they have a pseudonym, so let's not make it even easier. While you've said that you don't really care about your information online, some people are more careful and nervous about this than others, so let's respect that and stick to the policy of not putting anyone's information up without their explicit consent.
Hate to say it but I'm a little impressed. You'll have to teach me about internet stalking sometime. As easy as it apparently is to find, how about we take the information out of this post to make it a little more difficult for future investigators.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Evansdale/Waterloo, IA again.

Juggleguy that method would be great if the state had a smash scene in the first place, but is harder for more isolated and straggling communities.
I think we're aiming to do both, atm. So more straggling communities can post here as well as larger communities being able to update their data onto a Google Map of their region. And then afterwards, we'll compile the data and add it to the current project.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Good luck.

EDIT: I would totally give you the master file for the GSC with info(probably dated) on over 1200 smashers, but that data is lost with my last computer that was scrapped.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I'm down for this, haven't had anyone to play in a while since I can't travel.

Rawrimamonster - Dearborn Heights, Michigan.

I play 64 too but you'd have to bring a cart since mine got stolen

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Evansdale/Waterloo, IA again.

Juggleguy that method would be great if the state had a smash scene in the first place, but is harder for more isolated and straggling communities.
It's more about reducing the workload of Okami and anyone else involved in this project while also raising awareness for this player locator at the same time by making local players add themselves. Everyone's going to be included.

CTL17

Smash Lord
Perhaps the USA category should be split into the sub-categories we use on boards (Atl North, Atl South, Midwest, Southwest, Pac West).

I've notified MD/VA.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I've told Okami this, but I think it should be split into regions dictated by the current Facebook groups. The five regions used by the boards are way too broad for these purposes (especially Midwest, which is described as "From Ohio west to Montana" lol).

After a Google Map is completed for each Facebook group region, then you can merge them all into one global map using XML.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
iirc the GSC also used to have notable tournament venues (particularly for monthlies, biweeklies, etc.). That would be cool to add eventually. The markers also used to have character portraits but I have a feeling that isn't possible using just google maps.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I'm not sure. I believe the notable landmarks is possible to do. The character portraits are less easy. However, because each name links to (theoretically) a smashboards user page, that could give you an idea about what character they play.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Updated.

If people wish to link their Facebook instead of their smashboards userpage as a means of contacting them, tell me and I can do that too.
You should link this to every regional face book group. a lot of people will not see it.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I did, actually. Well, except for Mexico, South America, and Norway.

(Though, the way I'm doing it through Facebook is to start with a google map and then have everyone add onto it there. Then we'll compile it afterwards.)

For Ontario, I sent the message to:
Ryan, Camilo, David, and Bernard

(assuming you know their last names since they're part of your community. :p)

randomguy737

Smash Rookie
Yo Okami, you should make a Google docs form for this. you can require all the necessary info you want and you'll have a nice spreadsheet that can be converted to other formats.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
yo okami, google maps ****ed up my location

uuuhh, for zio, put my location as

UCLA (or just Los Angeles), CA

Top Bottom