• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mega Man in SSB Wii-U and 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
1, 2, 4, and 5 look excellent. With Mega Man having such potential for pretty much every color scheme out there, his colors would be vivid and full of variety.

One thing I'd really love to see is for Mega Man to tint or flash different colors based on which moves he's using. A more brown hue via Gutsman's Super Arm whenever he does a throw, maybe. Grey-ish for a Top Spin aerial attack. Yellow-Pink for a Charge Kick somewhere, perhaps?

It's just so easy to come up with them.

FourStar

Smash Ace
do you think megaman's costume will determine his power that you use in that game? cuz that would be so sick

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
do you think megaman's costume will determine his power that you use in that game? cuz that would be so sick
I would prefer costumes have nothing to do with gameplay. It would suck if, say, green team Megaman was worse than red team, or if I really liked the look of Red Mega and the moveset of Blue. It'd also mean you can't have true dittos, since the only way to play as the same color of the same character is in teams.

D

Deleted member

Welcome back shinhed-echi!

I'm confident that if we get a Capcom rep, it'll be Mega Man. Capcom knows that including Ryu, Leon Kennedy, etc. will get them PR disaster similar, if not larger than, to the Mega Man Legends 3 cancellation and would permanently damage their reputation. Even suggesting a non-Mega Man Capcom rep would land them with extremely venomous response from the fans. Sakurai would say no because the likes of Ryu and Leon Kennedy are met with virulent opposition from the fans and get little requests. Including Mega Man in the next game can only do good for Capcom's reputation and Capcom can begin to rebuild their status.

If Ryu/a Resident Evil rep were to get in, I would seriously consider not buying the game since I wouldn't want to give Capcom anymore money after that.
---
900 votes on the poll so far. Mega Man is in 2nd with 523 votes.
Hey! It's Monday! New blog post:
http://megaman4smashbros.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/super-smash-bros-4-wishlist-meme/

If you like drawing, this one's for you! I'm working on my own wishlist at the moment : )
Looking forward to seeing it.
Ok, not sure if had posted this already but here's some palette swap things I made for Megaman. Each one is based on another Megaman character. Or based on a Power-up he gets in the games.
1. Classic Megaman(Blue Team)
2. Protoman/Scorch Wheel(Red Team)
3. Bad Box-Art Megaman
4. Bass
5. Nature/Wind Weapon(Green Team)
6. Black Hole Bomb
EX1. Megaman X(Blue Team alt)
EX2. Zero (this one didn't come out well.)

I'm thinking I try another one of these. I dunno if I will though.
Really good color scheme here, though I do agree that Zero needs improvement.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I'm confident that if we get a Capcom rep, it'll be Mega Man. Capcom knows that including Ryu, Leon Kennedy, etc. will get them PR disaster similar, if not larger than, to the Mega Man Legends 3 cancellation and would permanently damage their reputation. Even suggesting a non-Mega Man Capcom rep would land them with extremely venomous response from the fans. Sakurai would say no because the likes of Ryu and Leon Kennedy are met with virulent opposition from the fans and get little requests. Including Mega Man in the next game can only do good for Capcom's reputation and Capcom can begin to rebuild their status.

If Ryu/a Resident Evil rep were to get in, I would seriously consider not buying the game since I wouldn't want to give Capcom anymore money after that.
---
900 votes on the poll so far. Mega Man is in 2nd with 523 votes.Looking forward to seeing it.Really good color scheme here, though I do agree that Zero needs improvement.
Thanks. I just remembered that I didn't make one for the Mega-Ball power-up. I should have done that since most characters have a purpleish/pinkish color. Now that I think of it, I might do one for Megaman X too soon. I just need to think of a few options that's all.

D

Deleted member

I am glad to announce that support for Mega Man has been becoming more vocal on GameFAQs in the past few days.

Many times I have expressed my concern about the Mega Man fan base slowly losing their will to fight and because of the misconception of Capcom hating Mega Man that they were giving up. Now it seems as supporters are becoming more vocal about supporting Mega Man and have been arguing against flawed arguments made against the Blue Bomber. My GameFAQs group is also doing well as it hasn't turned into a flame war thread (at least not yet). I will also be placing my group on IGN and Neoseeker. Other suggestions are appreciated as I want to reach out to every group of Mega Man supporters.

I'm also thinking about making a sixth counterargument, which is "Mega Man isn't important/iconic!" Surely I can argue this, although I am going to have to figure out what exactly to bring up.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I believe a good starting place is among the lines of how one could say that Mega Man has slowly went under the radar in terms of publicity. While it's a given that his games are consistently good, he hasn't had any recent major releases to hit critically acclaimed levels of fame (Mega Man 9 being his most well-received title in the 00's). Other characters, like Sonic in his steady climb with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations (and hard to ignore fanbase), or Snake in MGS 2-4 getting consistent 10 out of 10 scores and high sales, do have the same kind of publicity that Mega Man often doesn't get with the press and masses alike. He was in a multitude of games, his popularity especially being prevalent around the time of the X series, but is no longer able to measure up to the same titans of gaming today. Icons tend to be seen as Mario, Link, Sonic, Master Chief, and Kratos, all of who are almost instantly recognizable names among people in and out of their fanbases. Mega Man's level of fame is closer to that of other past household names. To the most pessimistic of spectators, Mega Man may only have as much claim to fame as characters like Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Bomberman, Earthworm Jim, Banjo & Kazooie, and Rayman... His series' relevancy to the modern era, like the aforementioned characters, is lacking in star power.

Of course, I myself don't believe that, but those that would want to argue that would definitely go for such an argument.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sadly the colorful platformer genre isn't as hot as it once was but once the big wigs saw that they tried jamming the characters into other genres and that killed off the most crucial market, people who were fans of the gameplay. The Megaman series on the other hand suffered from oversaturation and execs with ridiculously high sales expectations.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

---
900 votes on the poll so far. Mega Man is in 2nd with 523 votes.Looking forward to seeing it.Really good color scheme here, though I do agree that Zero needs improvement.

Thanks!

Yeah I can see it being a problem for Capcom if they were to push those particular characters.
On one hand, Mega Man is probably going to be very requested (at least in the west, I'm not sure how big the Japanese fanbase is) and Sakurai will take notice.
On the other hand, there's the whole Inafune issue. Does he own part of Megaman? Or does Capcom think Megaman represents Inafune more than it represents their own company?

I'm glad MM is doing well on Gamefaqs. Hopefully, Sakurai will take notice like he did with Sonic, that he HAD to approach SEGA. :D (I'm completely pulling this out of my *** right now, lol. Not sure if this is how they got him in).

Hope we get an Alt-Color maker, so we can choose our favorite colors for our favorite blue bomber.

D

Deleted member

Just downloaded Mega Man 2 and X from the Wii (not Wii-U) Virtual Console. I'll be playing those games and I bet I will enjoy them (especially X since I used to play that as a child).
Thanks!

Yeah I can see it being a problem for Capcom if they were to push those particular characters.
On one hand, Mega Man is probably going to be very requested (at least in the west, I'm not sure how big the Japanese fanbase is) and Sakurai will take notice.
On the other hand, there's the whole Inafune issue. Does he own part of Megaman? Or does Capcom think Megaman represents Inafune more than it represents their own company?

I'm glad MM is doing well on Gamefaqs. Hopefully, Sakurai will take notice like he did with Sonic, that he HAD to approach SEGA. :D (I'm completely pulling this out of my *** right now, lol. Not sure if this is how they got him in).

Hope we get an Alt-Color maker, so we can choose our favorite colors for our favorite blue bomber.
Mega Man is also among the most wanted newcomers in Japan as well, probably the most wanted according to observations from Chronobound.

Inafune does not own part of Mega Man, Capcom retains the entire right to the franchise even after Inafune's departure.

Sakurai said that Sonic got in because of the poll, which implied that Sakurai went to Sega to get Sonic in the game, so you're right.

You know what would be funny? If we got the colors some of the Robot Masters, a SSB4 match occurred with Mega Man and each Mega Man only used their respective Robot Master abilities.
RavenKingSage said:
Why have much of a discussion? We all know that Megaman's getting in the game. He's the most wanted third party character and Capcom's mascot. Capcom needs to take this opportunity to prove to their fans that they still care about Megaman.
We don't even know if third-parties are going to return and if so, will there be new third-parties and who would they be.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why have much of a discussion? We all know that Megaman's getting in the game. He's the most wanted third party character and Capcom's mascot. Capcom needs to take this opportunity to prove to their fans that they still care about Megaman.
That's a lot of optimism. But realistically speaking, I won't put his chances at 100%, as we are devoid of information. Somewhere around 80-90% seems reasonable though.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
That's a lot of optimism. But realistically speaking, I won't put his chances at 100%, as we are devoid of information. Somewhere around 80-90% seems reasonable though.
Well, most people on YouTube agree that Sakurai is looking for a Capcom rep and it's the next logical third party to represent. Practically everyone on YouTube has Megaman in their roster.

D

Deleted member

Well, most people on YouTube agree that Sakurai is looking for a Capcom rep and it's the next logical third party to represent. Practically everyone on YouTube has Megaman in their roster.
Sakurai only really said that a Capcom rep is within the realm of possibility, although if Sakurai were to get after any third-party, it would probably be Mega Man.

And practically everyone has Mega Man on their roster? Won't lie, that actually surprises me considering that the only forum that I've seen that are optimistic about Mega Man's odds in general is Smashboards. GameFAQs and to a lesser extent, other sites, are much more pessimistic (although as I've mentioned before, GameFAQs is becoming more vocal about Mega Man as of recent days).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say Megaman is about 75% certain. That 25% is if Nintendo and Capcom get a dialogue, Capcom doesn't want a massive cut of the profits, there's no one guy in charge at Capcom that hates Megaman's guts and he gets in over other Capcom reps.

D

Deleted member

I'd say Megaman is about 75% certain. That 25% is if Nintendo and Capcom get a dialogue, Capcom doesn't want a massive cut of the profits, there's no one guy in charge at Capcom that hates Megaman's guts and he gets in over other Capcom reps.
Pretty much the best way to think of the situation IF third-parties return. He has a good shot of getting in, but nothing is certain.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ok let's break it down in order of importanct

1. If third parties return
2. If one other than the veterans is allowed
3. If Namco hasn't called dibs on any available slots
4. If Ninty and Capcom get a dialogue and it doesn't fall through.

So all in all pretty good.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
"More" :laugh:

Anyway, I'm currently playing through the Mega Man anniversary collection for the GameCube. (I still can't understand why "B" is jump and "A" is shoot)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Anyway, I'm currently playing through the Mega Man anniversary collection for the GameCube. (I still can't understand why "B" is jump and "A" is shoot)
It's like that for Megaman 9 and 10 as well. If I'm not mistaken.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Whoever did the coding for that collection(on all platforms) is an idiot. Seriously, they couldn't even get Mode 7 working for the MM7 ending.

The MMX collection is much better.
It's like that for Megaman 9 and 10 as well. If I'm not mistaken.
Nope, though you could set it to be that way(which I felt was the bes if you sere using the CC)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The fact that you couldn't recode the buttons was really awful... I mean, I still played through all of them, but still. Even the X collection didn't handle exactly how I wanted it.

D

Deleted member

This is why I am waiting for the Virtual Console releases of MM6 (Wii-U since I'm not sure if I'll get a 3DS), MM7 and MMX3 so I can get the authentic experience and not fork over an arm and a leg.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The fact that you couldn't recode the buttons was really awful... I mean, I still played through all of them, but still. Even the X collection didn't handle exactly how I wanted it.
You can remap buttons on the XBox version IIRC.

And the X Collection does let you remap buttons.

D

Deleted member

I believe a good starting place is among the lines of how one could say that Mega Man has slowly went under the radar in terms of publicity. While it's a given that his games are consistently good, he hasn't had any recent major releases to hit critically acclaimed levels of fame (Mega Man 9 being his most well-received title in the 00's). Other characters, like Sonic in his steady climb with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations (and hard to ignore fanbase), or Snake in MGS 2-4 getting consistent 10 out of 10 scores and high sales, do have the same kind of publicity that Mega Man often doesn't get with the press and masses alike. He was in a multitude of games, his popularity especially being prevalent around the time of the X series, but is no longer able to measure up to the same titans of gaming today. Icons tend to be seen as Mario, Link, Sonic, Master Chief, and Kratos, all of who are almost instantly recognizable names among people in and out of their fanbases. Mega Man's level of fame is closer to that of other past household names. To the most pessimistic of spectators, Mega Man may only have as much claim to fame as characters like Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Bomberman, Earthworm Jim, Banjo & Kazooie, and Rayman... His series' relevancy to the modern era, like the aforementioned characters, is lacking in star power.

Of course, I myself don't believe that, but those that would want to argue that would definitely go for such an argument.
I have a hard time believing that Capcom tried to put Mega Man under the radar during the 2000s, especially when they flooded the market with Mega Man games. Mega Man isn't the type of the game that can be released like there was no tomorrow and expect it to continue to sell well. I think the reason why Mega Man suffered such a severe decline is because of oversaturation and why we will likely be without a game for several years. It also doesn't help that sub-series were released too frequently to the point where sales were hurt because they came out too much (reception for each successive games generally declined as well).

Once Capcom figures out what to do with the franchise in regards to making games, they'll go back to making them and unlike last time, not release them so frequently that sales are hurt overall. So as I said before, the main problem with the franchise has to do with oversaturation and the staleness of the franchise, which must be fixed if the franchise is to continue. Mega Man games have proven to sell well for Capcom before and they can do so again.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
An excellent point, and definitely fuel for a rebuttal should someone bring up what I said as their argument. While not as important as your main 5 counterarguments, I still think it's a valid enough philosophy to where you should take the time to write up a counterargument. "Mega Man lacks starpower" is practically the only uncovered argument here, which can change the few minds not already on board with Mega Man.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, Capcom really just needs to figure out what they want to do with Megaman. Given that's the large amount of sub-series within the main series. Though seeing that most of the Megaman games are action platformers you could expect that whatever they do with the Blue Bomber, the series will still be some kind of platforming franchise. And once they figure out what they want to do with the series (if they haven't already y'know?) They should hopefully not release so many games so close together. As for the whole "star-power" thing, Megaman should do just fine in that regard. He's still one of the most recognizable Video Game characters of all time. Really, the only problem with Megaman's "star-power" is which Megaman would rep the whole franchise. Now the most obvious would be go with classic Megaman, because he's honestly the most important of them all. But Megaman X could be seen to some as the Megaman of the 1990's. While Megaman .EXE could be seen as the Megaman of the 2000's to others. Still Classic Megaman has always made his presence know in some form or another in each console generation ever since his introduction into the Video Game medium.

D

Deleted member

bump

Nine days left until a possible confirmation for Mega Man. Only nine more days. Each passing day becomes more painful.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At least it will all be worth it if he's finally confirmed.

In other news, I'm still playing through Mega Man 2 on my 3DS at the moment. I haven't had much time to play it, but it's a really good game. That being said, I definitely think Mega Man's Down B should be the Leaf Shield, since it would fit quite well. That is, if he has preset RM specials.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Mega Man is confirmed I'm definitely putting that in my webcomic. And since his sister is a main character in it I'll be justified.

It'll be cool to see Mega Man and Sonic team up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom