• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mega Man in SSB Wii-U and 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I fail to see how saying they want Pac-Man in Smash would be spoiling his appearance. Just because Namco wants a character doesn't mean that Sakurai is going to want that character as well. Remember that third-parties characters are decided by Sakurai and that in order for a third-party to occur, both parties (Sakurai and a third-party company) have to agree to put said character in.

As for us not knowing a lot, that is true, but from what we know, we have seen no interest in Pac-Man. This wouldn't be an issue, but Namco has expressed interest in having a Tales rep in the game. Given the Tales's battle mechanic being similar to Smash's, I wouldn't be surprised if what Namco has in mind for a rep is a Tales rep (although like I said, they seem to be leaving the fate of a Tales rep up to Sakurai).
Not only Tales but Namco has talked about how fans kept asking about a Tekken rep.

D

Deleted member

To prevent de-railing the Mega Man Man, I'm going to continue the Namco conversation here.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I always thought the mechanics of Samus's beam were a little screwy, requiring her ro stand still to use it when she could run freely with it in her home game. I imagine MM's Megabuster would play a little more like it did in his home game as I see him as a more mobile character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

volbound1700

Smash Master
I fail to see how saying they want Pac-Man in Smash would be spoiling his appearance. Just because Namco wants a character doesn't mean that Sakurai is going to want that character as well. Remember that third-parties characters are decided by Sakurai and that in order for a third-party to occur, both parties (Sakurai and a third-party company) have to agree to put said character in.

As for us not knowing a lot, that is true, but from what we know, we have seen no interest in Pac-Man. This wouldn't be an issue, but Namco has expressed interest in having a Tales rep in the game. Given the Tales's battle mechanic being similar to Smash's, I wouldn't be surprised if what Namco has in mind for a rep is a Tales rep (although like I said, they seem to be leaving the fate of a Tales rep up to Sakurai).
Sega never expressed interest in Sonic in Smash, Konami never publicly expressed interest in having Snake in Smash.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
MEGA MAN
Mega Man's team color would be reflected on the parts of him that are normally dark blue (Arm cannon, shorts, helmet, boots) and his selected power would be reflected in the parts that are normally light blue. His Side and Neutral specials are changed based on the element that MM has selected. He starts the match as the Default Mega Buster.

Using a special from an element that isn't his standard Mega Blaster uses up that element's power, indicated by a meter near his health %.
When it runs out, MM automatically switches back to his Mega Blaster and MM can select a different power while the other recharges.
More powerful attacks use up more energy.
Energy recharges slowly over time... by the time he's used up all of his 8 powers, the first one he was using would probably be back to full charge.

Up Special​
RUSH MANEUVER
Ground (Rush Coil): Rush quickly teleports underneath Megaman and launches him up with a spring.
Air (Rush Jet): Rush teleports underneath MM and carries him around. Holding up or down controls his vertical movement, and you can still use your other specials while riding.

Down Special​
POWER SELECT
When you hold Down+B, a little menu pops up that looks like a robot master stage select screen. The power you select is based off of the direction indicated when the button's released, with neutral being the Mega Buster.
MM's secondary color changes based off of the element selected (the font color).
The first power listed is that element's neutral special, the second is his side special.

MEGA BUSTER
Arm Cannon: Tap to shoot little pellets, hold to charge. Only three on the screen at a time, he can move while charging. Three different levels of power. If he's hurt while charging, he loses the charge.
Mega Arm (MMV): Mega Man launches a rocket fist that returns after hitting something or reaching the end of its range. This attack can grab small items from afar. MM can't make other attacks while his fist is out.
FIRE
Pharoah Shot (MM4, Pharoah Man): Charges up a fireball above his head that can hurt enemies. When released, it launches the ball in the direction indicated.
Flame Blast (MM6, Flame Man): Tosses a ball of flame that sends a gout of fire out perpendicularly to the surface it hit, launching foes in that direction.
ICE
Ice Wall (Mega Man & Bass, Cold Man): Forms a wall made out of ice. Megaman can then hit it to send it sliding along the stage, pushing enemies and items along with it. Enough damage will break it.
Chill Spike (MM10, Chill Man): Launches a ball of gel in a parabolic arc. If it hits an enemy, they become frozen. If it hits the ground, it sets into a spike trap
ELECTRIC
Plug Ball (MM9, Plug Man): Drops a spark. When the spark lands on terrain, it starts moving in the direction MM was facing. Essentially, a mini Hothead.
Thunder Bolt (MM7, Cloud Man): Shoots a spark forward that goes through walls. When it hits something, it splits into two smaller sparks that go up and down.
AIR
Tornado Hold (MM8, Tengu Man): Drops a fan on the ground in front of MM that blows things upwards. Can deflect physical projectiles and helps MM get into the air.
Air Shooter (MM2, Air Man): Launches three small and weak tornadoes that spread out and fly upwards. Does low amounts of damage.
GROUND
Super Arm (MM1, Guts Man): First use grabs a chunk of earth from the ground, second push throws it. Covers a lot of area and deals nice damage, but is slow and easy to dodge.
Power Stone (MM5, Stone Man): Three stones pop out and start to orbit Mega Man. When they hit something, it hurts and stuns them. Enemies can break the satellites with attacks.
CUTTER
Boomerang Cutter (MM1, Cut Man): Shoots a spinning blade boomerang that goes out and comes back. Catching the boomerang recovers some energy.
Slash Claw (MM7, Slash Man): Mega Man slashes out with a clawed combo. This move is very similar to Marth's Side B combo, but faster and weaker.
EXPLOSIVE
Danger Wrap (MM7, Burst Man): Sends a bomb encased in a bubble to the side that floats up and explodes. If an enemy is caught in the bubble, they get carried up with it until the bomb explodes.
Crash Bomber (MM2, Crash Man): Shoots a sticky bomb to the side that explodes after a couple seconds. In the air, it is shot diagonally downward.
PLANT
Leaf Shield (MM2, Wood Man): He forms a spinning shield of leaves around himself. As soon as he moves in a direction, the leaves shoot that way.
Hornet Chaser (MM9, Hornet Man) MM shoots off a weak bee that homes in on enemies. If there are no enemies around, the bee will grab a nearby item and bring it back. The bee can be killed by any enemy attack.

Final Smash​
SUPER ADAPTOR
Rush teleports in and fuses with Megaman, granting him the ability to fly via a jetpack and transforming his attacks to launching a powerful rocket fist that homes onto enemies. Flying quickly into foes also damages/launches. Eventually, Rush disconnects and teleports away.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
MEGA MAN
Mega Man's team color would be reflected on the parts of him that are normally dark blue (Arm cannon, shorts, helmet, boots) and his selected power would be reflected in the parts that are normally light blue. His Side and Neutral specials are changed based on the element that MM has selected. He starts the match as the Default Mega Buster.

Using a special from an element that isn't his standard Mega Blaster uses up that element's power, indicated by a meter near his health %.
When it runs out, MM automatically switches back to his Mega Blaster and MM can select a different power while the other recharges.
More powerful attacks use up more energy.
Energy recharges slowly over time... by the time he's used up all of his 8 powers, the first one he was using would probably be back to full charge.

Up Special​
RUSH MANEUVER
Ground (Rush Coil): Rush quickly teleports underneath Megaman and launches him up with a spring.
Air (Rush Jet): Rush teleports underneath MM and carries him around. Holding up or down controls his vertical movement, and you can still use your other specials while riding.

Down Special​
POWER SELECT
When you hold Down+B, a little menu pops up that looks like a robot master stage select screen. The power you select is based off of the direction indicated when the button's released, with neutral being the Mega Buster.
MM's secondary color changes based off of the element selected (the font color).
The first power listed is that element's neutral special, the second is his side special.

MEGA BUSTER
Arm Cannon: Tap to shoot little pellets, hold to charge. Only three on the screen at a time, he can move while charging. Three different levels of power. If he's hurt while charging, he loses the charge.
Mega Arm (MMV): Mega Man launches a rocket fist that returns after hitting something or reaching the end of its range. This attack can grab small items from afar. MM can't make other attacks while his fist is out.
FIRE
Pharoah Shot (MM4, Pharoah Man): Charges up a fireball above his head that can hurt enemies. When released, it launches the ball in the direction indicated.
Flame Blast (MM6, Flame Man): Tosses a ball of flame that sends a gout of fire out perpendicularly to the surface it hit, launching foes in that direction.
ICE
Ice Wall (Mega Man & Bass, Cold Man): Forms a wall made out of ice. Megaman can then hit it to send it sliding along the stage, pushing enemies and items along with it. Enough damage will break it.
Chill Spike (MM10, Chill Man): Launches a ball of gel in a parabolic arc. If it hits an enemy, they become frozen. If it hits the ground, it sets into a spike trap
ELECTRIC
Plug Ball (MM9, Plug Man): Drops a spark. When the spark lands on terrain, it starts moving in the direction MM was facing. Essentially, a mini Hothead.
Thunder Bolt (MM7, Cloud Man): Shoots a spark forward that goes through walls. When it hits something, it splits into two smaller sparks that go up and down.
AIR
Tornado Hold (MM8, Tengu Man): Drops a fan on the ground in front of MM that blows things upwards. Can deflect physical projectiles and helps MM get into the air.
Air Shooter (MM2, Air Man): Launches three small and weak tornadoes that spread out and fly upwards. Does low amounts of damage.
GROUND
Super Arm (MM1, Guts Man): First use grabs a chunk of earth from the ground, second push throws it. Covers a lot of area and deals nice damage, but is slow and easy to dodge.
Power Stone (MM5, Stone Man): Three stones pop out and start to orbit Mega Man. When they hit something, it hurts and stuns them. Enemies can break the satellites with attacks.
CUTTER
Boomerang Cutter (MM1, Cut Man): Shoots a spinning blade boomerang that goes out and comes back. Catching the boomerang recovers some energy.
Slash Claw (MM7, Slash Man): Mega Man slashes out with a clawed combo. This move is very similar to Marth's Side B combo, but faster and weaker.
EXPLOSIVE
Danger Wrap (MM7, Burst Man): Sends a bomb encased in a bubble to the side that floats up and explodes. If an enemy is caught in the bubble, they get carried up with it until the bomb explodes.
Crash Bomber (MM2, Crash Man): Shoots a sticky bomb to the side that explodes after a couple seconds. In the air, it is shot diagonally downward.
PLANT
Leaf Shield (MM2, Wood Man): He forms a spinning shield of leaves around himself. As soon as he moves in a direction, the leaves shoot that way.
Hornet Chaser (MM9, Hornet Man) MM shoots off a weak bee that homes in on enemies. If there are no enemies around, the bee will grab a nearby item and bring it back. The bee can be killed by any enemy attack.

Final Smash​
SUPER ADAPTOR
Rush teleports in and fuses with Megaman, granting him the ability to fly via a jetpack and transforming his attacks to launching a powerful rocket fist that homes onto enemies. Flying quickly into foes also damages/launches. Eventually, Rush disconnects and teleports away.

You definitely have some cool ideas though I do think that there would be some trouble implementing this amount of attacks into one character. I think that some of these attacks could into a moveset just fine, like Boomerang Cutter being his Side B, Leaf Shield being his Down B and stuff like that. Perhaps some of these moves can be implemented into air attacks or his Smash moves, Like Tornado Hold being his Down Smash or something along those lines. I do think your Final Smash idea can work though.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
You definitely have some cool ideas though I do think that there would be some trouble implementing this amount of attacks into one character. I think that some of these attacks could into a moveset just fine, like Boomerang Cutter being his Side B, Leaf Shield being his Down B and stuff like that. Perhaps some of these moves can be implemented into air attacks or his Smash moves, Like Tornado Hold being his Down Smash or something along those lines. I do think your Final Smash idea can work though.
Yeah, it definitely would be kind of hard to implement... this is mostly how I dream of Mega Man, not how I think he would actually be. I think changing powers based off of element instead of specific robot masters is smart, though.
Fairly easy to balance though, if you just decide that a power's too strong you can just make it more expensive and move onto balancing other things.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I'm torn on who would make a better character between Classic and X.

D

Deleted member

@qdMbp: Adding your specials to my OP. Looks pretty good to me.

In regards to your move set, I'd say that the Robot Master pop-up screen should be just above Mega Man's icon while he's fighting. Also, would Mega Man be able to continue to use his Side B and Neutral B move while he's under his Final Smash?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, it definitely would be kind of hard to implement... this is mostly how I dream of Mega Man, not how I think he would actually be. I think changing powers based off of element instead of specific robot masters is smart, though.
Fairly easy to balance though, if you just decide that a power's too strong you can just make it more expensive and move onto balancing other things.
Well maybe Megaman can use some special command unique to him(like I dunno A+B could work I guess)where he can change his element, which in turn changes the properties of his B, Side B, and Down B. Like his normal form using the Mega Buster, Mega Ball and the Jewel Satellite, while his "Fire Mode" can use the Magma Bazooka, Flame Sword and the Scorch Wheel. And so on and so forth.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
@qdMbp: Adding your specials to my OP. Looks pretty good to me.

In regards to your move set, I'd say that the Robot Master pop-up screen should be just above Mega Man's icon while he's fighting. Also, would Mega Man be able to continue to use his Side B and Neutral B move while he's under his Final Smash?
Thanks for adding it to the OP!

That'd make sense as a place, sure. Especially if that area is where his energy meter shows up as well.

No, he wouldn't be able to use his normal mode specials/standards. I think of his FS as essentially being analogous to Yoshi's: You start to fly around and your moves change to a simple but strong set.

Edit: I forget to post this lil thing with the moveset. Not that it's important, but... Here's how I envision the elemental selection wheel, kind of based off of the Greek elements with Air, Earth, Fire, and Water/Ice on the four sides and then with the elements on the diagonals being what you get when you add two of the cardinal elements together (the fire of the sky is lightning, dirt plus water equals plants etc.)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, this is a tad off topic(its still related to Megaman though)but did anyone hear this Magnetman remix? It's pretty awesome. And it needs more views too.

Here's the song

D

Deleted member

Well, this is a tad off topic(its still related to Megaman though)but did anyone hear this Magnetman remix? It's pretty awesome. And it needs more views too.

Here's the song
Saw the song and it's pretty good.

Anyway, I still really need a source for Capcom of Japan saying they're fine with Mega Man's inclusion.

FourStar

Smash Ace
you know the good thing about megaman is that sakurai said he would probably have capcom characters in the game. that leaves megaman a pretty damn good chance

D

Deleted member

you know the good thing about megaman is that sakurai said he would probably have capcom characters in the game. that leaves megaman a pretty damn good chance
He said that a Capcom character isn't outside of the realm of possibility, but it does at least show that Sakurai has considered adding Mega Man in.

D

Deleted member

Saw the song and it's pretty good.

Anyway, I still really need a source for Capcom of Japan saying they're fine with Mega Man's inclusion.
http://megaman4smashbros.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/extra-ask-capcom-july-1-2011/

While they are fine with it, they told Sven that it is not up to them as it is Sakurai's game.

So pretty much, if Sakurai asks Capcom for Mega Man, they will comply, but they aren't going to go out of their way to get Sakurai to do it.

D

Deleted member

http://megaman4smashbros.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/extra-ask-capcom-july-1-2011/

While they are fine with it, they told Sven that it is not up to them as it is Sakurai's game.

So pretty much, if Sakurai asks Capcom for Mega Man, they will comply, but they aren't going to go out of their way to get Sakurai to do it.
Not 100% what I was asking for, but it's close enough. I would ask Sven if Capcom of Japan has replied back on whenever or not they want Mega Man in, but I feel as it wouldn't yield much result and there isn't any reason for Capcom to be against Mega Man's inclusion anyway.

I'm also asking Sir Ilpalazzo on NeoGAFs whenever or not Sega went up to Sakurai or Sakurai went to Sega. He did state in a GameFAQs post back in 2008 that Sakurai went to talk to Sega about Sonic in Smash, but I'm asking for a confirmed source.

Edit: Sir Ilpalazzo just PM'd me with this video stating that Sonic was included due to being by far the most wanted character. This implies that Sakurai went after Sega for Sonic. Of course Sakurai going after Mega Man isn't as likely, but I'd like to believe that the possibility is certainly there.

Really thankful for the two sources here.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I definitely hope megaman gets in, he has so much potential its not even funny. I get the feeling if he is revealed capcom will somehow claim this is them giving back to the fans when nintendo would be doing all the work lol.

D

Deleted member

Welcome IceCold and Hylian to the Mega Man group! Looking forward to seeing you two post more often and on top of that, both of you get cool Robot Master names.

PressStart

Smash Cadet
Edit: Sir Ilpalazzo just PM'd me with this video stating that Sonic was included due to being by far the most wanted character. This implies that Sakurai went after Sega for Sonic. Of course Sakurai going after Mega Man isn't as likely, but I'd like to believe that the possibility is certainly there.
Woah... this is one of the few videos I've seen of Sakurai talking (the only other I can think of is some Kid Icarus: Uprising promo I watched awhile back). Very cool!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Haha, that's funny.

Does anyone else want Zero in, too?
It does seem rather unlikely. But if by some chance we manage to get a 2nd Megaman rep after Megaman himself, I'd pick Zero. I feel like he would have the best moveset potential next to Megaman.

D

Deleted member

Not 100% what I was asking for, but it's close enough. I would ask Sven if Capcom of Japan has replied back on whenever or not they want Mega Man in, but I feel as it wouldn't yield much result and there isn't any reason for Capcom to be against Mega Man's inclusion anyway.

I'm also asking Sir Ilpalazzo on NeoGAFs whenever or not Sega went up to Sakurai or Sakurai went to Sega. He did state in a GameFAQs post back in 2008 that Sakurai went to talk to Sega about Sonic in Smash, but I'm asking for a confirmed source.

Really thankful for the two sources here.
Well of course Sonic was the most wanted character; Sakurai even said so on his Dojo page. :p

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
hopefully megaman doesn't become a Samus clone if he is put in
They'd have to screw up pretty hard to do that. If they can make Marth and Ike two different movesets, Mega Man and Samus would be no problem. Heck, Mega Man isn't as agile as Samus, he's smaller, and he can't Morph Ball, it'd be harder to make him a clone than make him a new move set.

FourStar

Smash Ace
They'd have to screw up pretty hard to do that. If they can make Marth and Ike two different movesets, Mega Man and Samus would be no problem. Heck, Mega Man isn't as agile as Samus, he's smaller, and he can't Morph Ball, it'd be harder to make him a clone than make him a new move set.
but i mean like the arm cannon and and stuff is what i worry about. like those moves being super similar is my biggest fear

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
but i mean like the arm cannon and and stuff is what i worry about. like those moves being super similar is my biggest fear
I guess Mega Man could have a charge up shot too, though they could make it work differently. His regular B would probably be able to both charge and be spammable, like in his games, and it would probably be able to be changed too via Down+B or something. Other than that there's not many other things they can take from Samus than the charging really.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Eh, that's the only thing that they have in common actually. Even the arm cannons can function a bit differently. Samus can't move while charging her weapon. But once it's fully charged she can fight normally can use it when she needs it. With Megaman you could have it so that he can run while charging but he can't let go of the B button after charging the buster fully unless he wants to fire it. And well, Megaman doesn't roll into a ball or do somersaults. And Samus doesn't use slide kicks or copy opponents weapons.

@Wariofan1 I have to disagree on that last part. No need to waste Down+B on charging the Buster. That can be used for something else.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Eh, that's the only thing that they have in common actually. Even the arm cannons can function a bit differently. Samus can't move while charging her weapon. But once it's fully charged she can fight normally can use it when she needs it. With Megaman you could have it so that he can run while charging but he can't let go of the B button after charging the buster fully unless he wants to fire it. And well, Megaman doesn't roll into a ball or do somersaults. And Samus doesn't use slide kicks or copy opponents weapons.

@Wariofan1 I have to disagree on that last part. No need to waste Down+B on charging the Buster. That can be used for something else.
I meant Down+B to be used as some weapon changer, like shifting in between 5 different weapons or something. I said changed, not charged up there.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I meant Down+B to be used as some weapon changer, like shifting in between 5 different weapons or something. I said changed, not charged up there.
Ah, sorry I misread your post. I can see changing his weapons with Down+B being implemented into the game. Though I think using taunts to change his weapons would be cool too. As that would make him standout from the rest of the crowd in a good way.

D

Deleted member

hopefully megaman doesn't become a Samus clone if he is put in
I find it highly likely that he'll be completely unique if he gets in. Just read my counterargument to the "Mega Man will be a Samus's clone" argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom