• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
If this song somehow ends up in Smash, I can die peacefully.
Ah yes, only the best song ever. A 100% perfect fit for smash bros where we can all just embrace despair and go onto the after life happily.

That being said I should be way more active in my own thread than I am.—

I'll get onto updating the main post again, though I will say the current... form of it is rather unappealing to look at. Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve the look of it?

Uhhh, uhhhhhhhhh https://nintendosoup.com/danganronpa-trilogy-listed-for-nintendo-switch-on-amazon-japan/
Edit: Augh, nevermind, wish I could delete posts. It says it's probably a mistake, ugh...
Wouldn't be the first time one of us here got slipped up on this kind of stuff, though nonetheless it does show to Spike Chunsoft Nintendo fans and fans of their work in general wants to see Danganrompa make the jump to Nintendo systems, which series like Neptunia are if I recall due to it basically replacing the Vita over in Japan. So I'm sure depending on the graphics of the next game since they were hiring people for 3D modeling for a Danganrompa game it'll also see a switch release due to the Vita being phased out. Plus anyways, as I believe I've pointed out before at least Monokuma himself has cameo'd on Nintendo systems in the past, about as many times as Cloud has actually prior to his inclusion in Smash.

Last edited:

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
I just got done with Danganronpa 2 due to my curiosity about the series getting the better of me, and I have only one thing to say:

Let me play as the despair bear

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I just got done with Danganronpa 2 due to my curiosity about the series getting the better of me, and I have only one thing to say:

Let me play as the despair bear
Welcome to the remnants of despair! We're glad to have you here.

Got any plans to eventually pick up 1 and V3?

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the remnants of despair! We're glad to have you here.

Got any plans to eventually pick up 1 and V3?
Oh, yes, definitely. It's already one of my favorite series as of late. Though, I have already watched Danganronpa 1, so I'm thinking of picking up Ultra Despair Girls next.

Also, I've been looking at the moveset, and it's nice...

but we need more buff monokuma

1551664550767.png

look at this absolute beaut

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I'll throw my support for the despair bear. I hope wait, shouldn't use that word if he got in, his Final Smash would be using the rocket from the first execution in the series. Make it work like Captain Falcon's.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'll throw my support for the despair bear. I hope wait, shouldn't use that word if he got in, his Final Smash would be using the rocket from the first execution in the series. Make it work like Captain Falcon's.
Wow. I thought I was the only who thought that would fit.

MasterdoctorMage

Smash Rookie
As a big fan of the DR i think monokuma will be awsome idea I will love to see him in smash. he also my most wanted fighter to be in smash

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
One of the few characters who would have me hyped to see in Smash that isn't already deconfirmed (in the most despair-inducing ways imaginable), so can you add me to the support list?

I think it would be way cooler (albeit a lot harder to develop) if his Final Smash was Punishment Time, where it would be the victim's own Final Smash used against them, like Kirby's copy ability (and a placeholder for Monokuma Dittos). After all, everyone's gotta have their own special execution! Upupupupu...

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Welcome every single one of you that joined the remnants of despair! Apologies for not adding you all to the support thread sooner, I don't check the site as frequentlly anymore so it's my fault you weren't added sooner.

I actually never thought of that one, it would most definitely work as an all around final smash idea.

https://twitter.com/KrazyBonesTV/status/1108372414545776641

I don't think this has been posted here before, but our boy Monokuma's in this!
I've followed Krazy before for a bunch o their art as I like it, but I never knew they wanted Monokuma in, it's always nice to know a favorite artist of yours has similar tastes in newcomers.

One of the few characters who would have me hyped to see in Smash that isn't already deconfirmed (in the most despair-inducing ways imaginable), so can you add me to the support list?

I think it would be way cooler (albeit a lot harder to develop) if his Final Smash was Punishment Time, where it would be the victim's own Final Smash used against them, like Kirby's copy ability (and a placeholder for Monokuma Dittos). After all, everyone's gotta have their own special execution! Upupupupu...
Perhaps the only other difficulties about it (other than it being one for every single character) would be making sure the animations didn't look wonky on Monokuma, which I'm sure a lot would be that way on some, but I also feel likeanother big hurdle would be if there's more than two players on the field: what dictates what final smash he uses? Anyways, I think it's s great idea in concept but it's one that need to be executed very perfectly to work.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I meant to bring this up a while ago, but I found this list of characters people wanted in Smash Ultimate. While Monokuma didn't get as many votes as others on the list, the fact that he made it at all is honestly impressive.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Xwag9HkqpWEgbHxR_C7wcxC_pqjS28XWjtMJtaFQ9M/htmlview
Yeah, I think Source Gaming did a video based on this, albeit it's a tad different.

I'm honestly surprised Monokuma was placed 28th out of hundreds of characters they got, but it also makes me really happy, that while not in the top ten, we are in the top thirty, which is still really impressive given how many characters are requested for smash. Especially since there's a lot more Monokuma supporters than us out there, I hope one day we can all band together and get the bear of despair in!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Psst, don't look now, but Monokuma is getting rated on Rate Their Chances today. You didn't hear it from me.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
If it makes you feel better, I think he has a bigger chance than people give him credit for.
The way I see it, Sakurai and Kodaka are at least professionally fans of one another. That's at least a tiny boost for his chances. I think what it would take for him to have a real, substantive chance is a port of the Danganronpa Trilogy to the Switch.

I recall Amazon or some other retailer accidentally claiming that would be happening at one point, but given their extreme clumsiness with stuff like that... eh. All I know is that I pray for his inclusion.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I'd rather have Junko using Monokuma as a weapon but considering that she's not as iconic as Mono himself (and a massive spoiler), i think our favourite little psycho bear would be more appropriate.

So, i support !

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So guys, now that we know 3 of the 5 DLC characters, how do you think this affects Monokuma's chances, if at all?

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'd rather have Junko using Monokuma as a weapon but considering that she's not as iconic as Mono himself (and a massive spoiler), i think our favourite little psycho bear would be more appropriate.

So, i support !
That could always be the case, even if she is a spoiler since well... Smash doesn't really care if you've played the games fully or not, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 representation during the Smash 4 days was enough to say that. But considering Monokuma is the series mascot, and Spike Chunsoft's go to character for crossover stuff like how Namco's is KOS-MOS from Xenosaga.

Regardless, welcome to our little band of remnants of despair!

So guys, now that we know 3 of the 5 DLC characters, how do you think this affects Monokuma's chances, if at all?
I honestly think his chances are probably lowered unless they do another pass, as I feel like if the last two slots are first-party Nintendo characters one of them will be (my guesses are either Porky or Sylux) while the other is someone from Namco Bandai, whether or be someone from Tales Of, Heihachi from Tekken, or KOS-MOS from Xenosaga I think someone from Namco Bandai will be getting that fourth slot, because besides Microsoft joining the mix with Banjo and Kazooie, (congrats to our fellow bear btw), they're the only company with a singular character representation, being Pac-Man.

SEGA has three with Sonic, Bayonetta, and Joker

Capcom has three with Mega-Man, Ryu, and Ken

Konami has three with Snake, Simon, and Ritcher

Then now Square Enix has two with Cloud and the Hero(es) from Dragon Quest.

So I only think it's natural one of those slots will be filled up for a Namco Bandai rep or two, or a Nintendo rep or two. So I think Monokuma can only happen this game if 1. There's more solo DLC characters or 2. Another fighters pass. Otherwise next game he's back to his normal chances of happening, if not potentially more. Especially considering Nintendo and Spike Chunsoft are collaborating on more games again like they have in the past, most recent example begin Cadence of Hyrule.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd be fine with this guy getting in, actually.

The only problem is that Danganronpa has zero Nintendo presence, although since Spike Chunsoft did release some Nintendo-related things, there could be some negotiations worked out somehow. Is the Danganronpa song stuff for Crypt of the Necrodancer also on the Switch version?

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989

The only problem is that Danganronpa has zero Nintendo presence, although since Spike Chunsoft did release some Nintendo-related things, there could be some negotiations worked out somehow. Is the Danganronpa song stuff for Crypt of the Necrodancer also on the Switch version?
I wouldn't say has /zero/ presence, as Monokuma himself actually has made at least four appearances on Nintendo systems. Even if they are just cameos, they still are a presence.

That said I'm unaware on that, I'm pretty sure that might've been cut for the Zelda crossover stuff but I don't know. That said I think you're talking about the original game, in which while I'm unaware I see no reason for them to cut it and just leave it in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wouldn't say has /zero/ presence, as Monokuma himself actually has made at least four appearances on Nintendo systems. Even if they are just cameos, they still are a presence.

That said I'm unaware on that, I'm pretty sure that might've been cut for the Zelda crossover stuff but I don't know. That said I think you're talking about the original game, in which while I'm unaware I see no reason for them to cut it and just leave it in.
Good to know then, so he fits a Final Fantasy Theaterhythm case of qualifying.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

A friend of mine owns Crypt of the Necrodancer and has the Danganronpa content.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Danganronpa feels like it’d fit right into Smash honestly, the only issue I see is that it has very little (If any) roots or history with Nintendo, but that doesn’t stop me from wanting it represented.

I feel it could be a good way to introduce the franchise to Nintendo audiences, possibly even have the Trilogy release on Switch after he releases?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Danganronpa feels like it’d fit right into Smash honestly, the only issue I see is that it has very little (If any) roots or history with Nintendo, but that doesn’t stop me from wanting it represented.

I feel it could be a good way to introduce the franchise to Nintendo audiences, possibly even have the Trilogy release on Switch after he releases?
I think the criteria is that the character from a series in question did need to have some link to Nintendo, however small it is. If not that, at least Spike Chunsoft's Shiren the Wanderer series has been on Nintendo hardware.

Heck, if a bit role in something like Theaterhythm is enough to get Cloud in here...

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Does Monokuma count as a videogame character? as far im aware there was a manga released the same day of the videogame.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Does Monokuma count as a videogame character? as far im aware there was a manga released the same day of the videogame.
Of course Danganronpa's a videogame. Just because there was a tie-in manga doesn't mean a videogame's not a videogame.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
He's a video game character, as it started development as such and series that usually have a main video game release and then a manga or whatever released alongside of it are usually considered video game adaptations, thus the video game character applies rather than manga, comic, movie, etc. etc. as the development of the game usually starts before the adaptation.

Though, Trigger Happy Havoc originally released in 2010 in Japan, as a /pre-order bonus/ a manga adaptation of the trial/demo was given alongside the game through certain stores, aka only 2. The manga adaptation of DR1 didn't come until two years after its original Japanese release on the PSP.

So if you want to go by the order of products releasing... Danganronpa and Monokuma are still video game characters and a video game series due to the demo releasing first, then a manga adaptation of the demo releasing as a pre-order bonus if the first wave of copies sold of DR1 when it released.

The evil bear has my support!
View attachment 230881
Welcome to remnants of despair! Also that's a pretty good looking stage, I'm gonna have to download it and try it out.

Insomneko

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3266-5876-1597
I'd adore Monokuma in Smash, definitely support this one.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So, to anyone here looking forward to Pokemon Sword/Shield, doesn't Morpeko look at least a little like Monokuma Pikachu? I saw a tweet about it, and I can't get that image out of my head.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So, to anyone here looking forward to Pokemon Sword/Shield, doesn't Morpeko look at least a little like Monokuma Pikachu? I saw a tweet about it, and I can't get that image out of my head.
Not looking forward to SwSh, due to the whole National Dex thing, because I think a bare minimum feature a Pokemon game should have is to have EVERY Pokemon in it, but I digress (also Monokuma would probably be looking forward to it for the exact same reason I'm not), but I do see the similarities, but think they'd be more obvious if they weren't 2 separate forms. Also I would compare Monokuma moreso to Bewear

Perhaps the only other difficulties about it (other than it being one for every single character) would be making sure the animations didn't look wonky on Monokuma, which I'm sure a lot would be that way on some, but I also feel likeanother big hurdle would be if there's more than two players on the field: what dictates what final smash he uses? Anyways, I think it's s great idea in concept but it's one that need to be executed very perfectly to work.
Really late answer for this, but maybe he could have a little HUD thing that shows the stock icon who's FS he'd use, starting with the next player after him, allowing him to Shield+B (like refilling Inkling's Ink) to move to the next target's Final Smash, looping back around to the first one after him once he's got past the last player.

Sort of like this, assuming the Monokuma in question is Player 1:
P2's FS -(Shield+B)-> P3's FS -(Shield+B)-> P4's FS... and so on

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'd love a Danganronpa fighting game because each character's bio basically reads like a list of Chuck Norris facts and it'd be great to see them use their skills and talents in something more action-oriented, but Monokuma in Smash? I'm not feeling it.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'd love a Danganronpa fighting game because each character's bio basically reads like a list of Chuck Norris facts and it'd be great to see them use their skills and talents in something more action-oriented, but Monokuma in Smash? I'm not feeling it.
That's fine, not everyone has to exactly "feel" it, the idea being known about and discussing about it is good enough for me. If I remember correctly, before Kodaka left Spike Chunsoft to make Too-kyo Games, he did express desire to make a Danganronpa fighting game as the next one after V3. That said since he left he most likely won't be able to see himself being the one to do that, it'd have to be someone else to make it not. That said... people don't really know if the series will continue without Kodaka, only hope in a sea of despair us Danganronpa fans have at the moment was that job listing for making 3-D models for a Danganronpa game, but most people think that's probably for a UDG sequel/successor, could not but since that's the only DR game in full 3D that's the general thought.

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Hey, thought i would drop by and say i want this bear in smash. i have no idea what kind of moveset he would have, but i imagine it would be even more bizarre then duck hunt.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Hey there, wanted to throw out my support for our cute little Headmaster of Despair. I acquainted myself with the series a little over a year ago thank's to Lucahjin's playthrough of DR1 and it's quickly shot up to become my very favorite series. Admittedly my preferred Danganronpa character would be a conglomerate of DR students unified under the same character slot as multiple skins (specifically Makoto as the face of the character, along with Kyoko, Hajime, Chiaki, Nagito, Kaede, Shuichi, and Kokichi, basically all the protags and popular characters that would make sense with a moveset centered around truth bullets and the like). That being said, I would be absolutely ecstatic for Monokuma's inclusion were he to make the cut. Getting any Danganronpa content in the game would be, frankly, a dream come true. Let's put all our hope into this fiction to make it a reality.
(Also can we please get a standalone Danganronpa fighting game? Pretty please?)

Top Bottom