• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Mario Match-Up Discussion Thread

n0ne

Smash Ace
haha yeah i kinda hate that matchup.
Priority is your enemy in that matchup... i mean.. its manageble , but... almost ALL HITS ARE TRADES... unless grabbing is involved.. but yeah.

Samus too.. anybody in favor?

ooohh... for Marf... CCing to grab is nice, or CCing to get close-nair
for mindgames, while he is recovering, u can cape him but this has to be done reversely.. as in.. getoff stage, then, turnaround cape him a little below the ledge. This makes marf turnaround and also makes him go a bit higher. After this you just punish his ultramega upb landing lag. with upsmash for the kill or spaced f smash or dsmash even

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
haha yeah i kinda hate that matchup.
Priority is your enemy in that matchup... i mean.. its manageble , but... almost ALL HITS ARE TRADES... unless grabbing is involved.. but yeah.

Samus too.. anybody in favor?

ooohh... for Marf... CCing to grab is nice, or CCing to get close-nair
for mindgames, while he is recovering, u can cape him but this has to be done reversely.. as in.. getoff stage, then, turnaround cape him a little below the ledge. This makes marf turnaround and also makes him go a bit higher. After this you just punish his ultramega upb landing lag. with upsmash for the kill or spaced f smash or dsmash even
omggg yess luigi! that match-up is so annoying haha but i play against luigi a lot. i just try to keep one step ahead of them. instead of going up and attacking them blindly, i wait till either after they miss an attack or when i know that i can hit them first. hard to explain haha. their b-air is real good against marios, but gimping him is not hard at all. just keep them away from the edge, they're up b goes pretty much straight up. cant thing of anything else haha.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Luigi's Nair owns 90% of Mario's approaches and pseudo-combos. Foward Smash, Uair and Down Smash whoring (smartly, not spamming) is what I find key in the matchup.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
updated post to start discussing Luigi by popular demand
first off I'd like to say

secondly, some basic luigi knowledge that I've come across is to mess up his momentum
with characters like fox/falco they need very little to start their momentum
with luigi if you let him slip and slide enough he'll fall start outspeeding you
the basic idea with this guy is to get some early hits on him, or get him in the air because he is really floaty but doesn't have the best air control
tl;dr don't let him be grounded and gain momentum

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Luigi is SO MUCH EASIER than everyone is implying. I think the vast majority of Mario users play this matchup completely wrong, since most of their matchup experience is against Falcon, Space Animals, and Sheik.

The matchup is dead even at worst. You just have to have a completely different mindset against Luigi. Comboing him with U-airs will get you ***** in this matchup. Stop doing that. Just U-tilt when he's above you. He can't answer it. It will beat EVERYTHING HE DOES ABOVE YOU, and it frame traps his airdodge nicely. Honestly Luigi really should not be getting away with N-air against a Mario who knows how to space U-tilt.

The usual motions of spacing and edgeguarding apply just fine in this matchup. Honestly this matchup is really simple once you have Luigi above you and focus on good spacing as opposed to rushdown. Generally speaking I think Mario users need to use more U-tilt against other Mario characters. It's a **** option just since all incarnations of the Mario bros are horrible at working around it when being juggled.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The most you have to worry about from Luigi is his superior ground approach and of course getting edgeguarded by his B-air. In the air, Mario shuts him down better provided you don't jump into the **** stupidly. I personally find it confusing when Mario mains complain about Luigi's N-air breaking their combos. It's not a real issue, since U-tilt >>>> Luigi's aerials.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
55/45 because they're sorta even in terms of follow-ups and attack priority. But Luigi's easy to gimp recovery and (since SSBM is quite aerial-based) which makes this slightly (but definitely) in Mario's favor.

n0ne

Smash Ace
whaaaat? i think this shouldnt be true... meh, this matchup shouldnt even be 50-50.

I agree with the matchup being manageble but in the end luigi has a better time against mario than the other way around

edgeguarding luigi while he is close to the ledge is pretty easy but u never know when he´ll get a (whats it called?) super front B and just get back or even Ko mario.

everybody knows his priority... and he actually moves faster on the stage thanks to his wavedash. All mario has is a bit more range .. and combos... and these have to be perfectly spaced.
I feel This matchup needs to be reflected on a bit more. We´re talking advanced play, not 2002 stuff

Can Bamesy or any other Luigi main comment on this?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
edgeguarding luigi while he is close to the ledge is pretty easy but u never know when he´ll get a (whats it called?) super front B and just get back or even Ko mario.
That move is never an issue if you edgeguard normally with invul frame abuse. Every so often he might get back on stage free, but most of the time gimping him with B-airs shouldn't be that hard.

everybody knows his priority... and he actually moves faster on the stage thanks to his wavedash. All mario has is a bit more range .. and combos... and these have to be perfectly spaced.
Mario DOESN'T have combos on Luigi. He has a MUCH better anti-air though, and he can set up a trap situation with D-throw much better.

Luigi has a better ground approach though, and most of his moves will kill noticeably earlier when gimps are not factored. But his relatively low range and his bad air approach makes him infinitely more manageable than say space animals or Ganondorf. Like, I wouldn't use Jabs to stop space animals or Ganondorf from approaching. But against Luigi I would definitely consider it. And he gets punished hard when Mario anti-airs him.

I feel This matchup needs to be reflected on a bit more. We´re talking advanced play, not 2002 stuff
I think a lot of advanced Mario users are much too used to rushdown styles when they could opt to use simple spacing tactics that do the job better. Take Boss vs Chudat. His Mario gets ***** by Chudat's ICs, but it's really only because Boss is super aggressive. In reality, Mario is extremely good against the Ice Climbers when he focuses on F-smash spacing and B-throws.

n0ne

Smash Ace
@ A2ZOMG alright bro im with you with the ice climbers things... but i still think its necessary for a luigi main input. i actually think this is easier for doc than mario.

Oh... and the misfire thing... remember i said close to the ledge edgeguarding... i know its easy to abuse the i. frames .. and his up b is not too good if u actually know how to counter it before or after the hitbox but i was talking far away.. Also in the matchup.. nair is very good against him but i repeat... against luigi.. what mario pretty much needs is perfect spacing to land his uairs, bairs or other ground moves.

Luigis massive WL covers alot of each stage.. but this can be good. but also bad.. because excessive movement from a waveland can be punished. but unpredictablity can be our rapetivity also.

Please Bamesy, or other, input so this can be clarified from your pov.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
well i went to the weegee boards and notified them that we are doing this MU....hopefully its only a matter of time now before them come add their 2 cents

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Us Marios for some reason play like we're Falcon. We should play smarter. We have lot's to do, so let's get crackin'!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
^LOL too true man.

I feel like I should upload more vids of my Mario (the ones I have up right now are well...a little old). Just because I think I play just totally differently from the vast majority of people because my playstyle is just so spacing oriented and light on combos outside of chaingrabs.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
what he means is that if your just on the platforms the entire time, then a good luigi will most likely wait you out on the ground where he has the advantage.
which means I'm going to approach the luigi, because, well, lets be honest. I'm very impatient.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
It's not that we don't approach him, it's just that we should approach on the ground.

Top Bottom