• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

shinobibeat

Smash Rookie
NNID
shinobibeat
:4villager: Main here and I secondary :4lucina: with a pocket:4kirby:
I mostly have trouble with :4bayonetta: and :4darkpit: Thinking about dropping :4lucina: since she also doesn't counter them very well to support my main. Any pocket suggestions?

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
I mostly have trouble with :4bayonetta: and :4darkpit: Thinking about dropping :4lucina: since she also doesn't counter them very well to support my main. Any pocket suggestions?
For the characters that you have trouble against, may I ask what you have trouble against when facing :4bayonetta::4darkpit:?
Against :4darkpit:, fire as many projectiles as you want, they will not Down B too much as it is laggy. If they down B the loid rocket , it is easily reactible so you can pocket it to have two loid rockets. Projectile game shouldn't be too much of a problem. Recovery is probably the main issue. Pit cannot be edge guarded because of the jumps, an invincible side b and the vertical height on the up B. Villager can be edgeguarded but remember that if the opponent does not edgeguarded aggressively, you're fine but if they do, Villager has the highest vertical recovery in the game so there is no way a pit will be chasing you to the depths of the blast zones.

:4lucina:actually is an exquisite secondary for a :4villager: main! :rosalina: can be a real pain but with Lucina's lack of reliance on projectiles, she can be a good counter. Only drop Lucina if you do not like her playstyle.

As for pocket characters to deal with the two nuisances, I think that Villager is a good matchup against Pit but then I'm not too sure what you struggle against. As for Bayo, any projectile based character is nice. Bayonettta struggles against projectile-based characters sooo..

With the information given :4tlink: is what I(not exactly a reliable source) would be a good option. If you could add a bit about what you struggle against, the community could help more.

Edit: Juuuuust saying, a Wii fit trainer can obliterate a villager once the offstage battle starts. See: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oeCou67DkM4 "This big-headed boy will never make it back to the stage".
Warning, profane language.

Last edited:

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Looks like CaptAwesum needs to learn the matchup.
I also main Villager. I'll second that Lucina is a great secondary for Villager.
Bayonetta matchup is manageable for Villager, but if you really need something for her (or Dark Pit... interesting) Toon Link is really good. Actually there are a lot of other Villagers who double on Toon Link.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
:4diddy: Is easy to use and wins those matchups. Also :4mario::4ness: are easy to use and do good

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
More curiosity than anything, but if I main :4marth:with a solid pocket :4bayonetta:, is there any MU that Team Fabulous here needs to watch out for?

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Two characters notable for their great matchup spreads. I'd say if anyone, :4diddy: will pose the biggest threat, as well as the less common :4robinm::4tlink::4corrin:, though all of the above are manageable. You really don't need a third character.

DeltaForce

Smash Cadet
Excuse me??? Do you not know The Monado's Power??? *clears throat* Sorry, got a little... triggered.
Ok so that was a horrible answer to my suggestion "At least say no I hate Cloud" or "I love Shulk too much dropping him is not an option" I am giving an answer from a competitive standpoint. I feel like Cloud is superior to Shulk in most areas meaning that he would probably better to play with a Villager. I would like to add that the 55:45 matchup Rosa VS Shulk is false according to Dabuz's MU chart Shulk is dominated by Rosa (I don't have exact #s) Cloud would help with that matchup. In short either give me an answer/reason for why you pick Shulk over Cloud or say it is a personal loyalty/hatred

Don't give trash.

Moving on "Hey, I'm a cloud main. I found that a lot of the players I fight don't do well against solid defense and projectile play. I've been thinking along those lines for a secondary, who would you recommend" I apologize I know my advice might be a bit drastic but at least read and consider it with an open mind. I am going to be frank, Cloud is not an excellent solo main, he is actually a bad one. I personally would not advise using Cloud as a main in general. Cloud is viewed by the smash community as a godlike secondary. I would find a new main and use Cloud as a pocket or secondary. Since Cloud covers so many MUs I would find a tech heavy main who differs from Cloud like maybe a Sonic, Villager, Pikachu, Metaknight, ect.

If you think I am crazy then you could do a different path, if you want to continue maining Cloud then I would use Megaman. Megaman is a god a even matchups and is more of a projectile and defensive playstyle. I am not going to lie, Cloud has not very many advanced tech skills and advanced combos. So you have plenty of time left over, So going someone with some "wonky tech skills" I would say is a good idea.

Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 Ok mate don't give the poor guy false information just because you want to look like you know what you are talking about.
:4megaman::4pacman::4samus::4tlink::4villager::4duckhunt::4robinm:Are the projectile characters so one of them. First of all I wouldn't give him Samus becuase her projectile game is really bad. the Only decent projectile she has is Charge shot and the rest of her projectiles are just one trick ponies so I would not include in the list. If he wants GOOD projectile game supporting a defensive playstyle I would say Robin, Villager, Megaman, and TL. Also you forgot Link in your list. This is such a lazy answer because you should also look for compatibility with Cloud and other match ups before making this list.

Ralugi Ralugi Ok So please tell me you were sick the day you wrote this "I'd chop that list down to Villager and Robin. The rest have some wonky tech"
So lets look at this Robin is crazy complicated He call for exteme situational awareness and knowledge of different jabs hit boxes different neutral Bs and Aerials with Thoron. Villager has some crazy tech, his infinite, aerial strings, rocket setups and defensive tree plays with the crazy woodchip combos. Ok and When does Samus have some "wonky tech" (In comparison to Villager and Robin) Seriously man are you kidding me? the rest I can agree on with your assesment of tech.

Bottom line for you Ralugi Ralugi Most characters with heavy projectile game are going to be tricky to use and have amazing tech and setups, there is not really any way around it.

Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 and @Ralug Take more time and effort into your answers and try to be constructive on the forums or just don't talk at all. I repeat

"Don't give trash"

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm once again lost when it comes to finding a main...

I love dynamic, tricky, and flexible characters.

Versatile movesets, speed, and a myriad of options that allow me a lot of creative freedom. A character that you won't know what to expect next because the battle keeps changing.

I'm also looking for a character who's neutral game leads into the advantage state very easily (numerous combo starters, traps, and setups).

I can't stand characters like Robin who force you to plan everything out ahead of time or require too much micromanagement. I prefer someone who allows me to come up with ideas on the fly without having to sweat all the tiny details. I also can't stand bland characters like pit who don't really have any creative tools that stand out.

Can you help me out?

Last edited:

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
I guess I was too vague... and as I said, triggered. It's understandable how that could sound like character loyalty... it's actually not.

First of all, I can't stand what Cloud is doing to the metagame, and I'd nerf him in a flash if given an opportunity.

Second, I picked Shulk as a secondary for Villager's bad matchups against strong disjoints (and Mario Bros.) It worked really well for about a month, and then Speedy Brawlers happened, who beat both Villager and Shulk. They get in, rack up damage, and get out, and they're annoying to wall against with those two. And then Robin happened, but is it really worth having two secondaries with swords?

How about Shulk for Robin? If Shulk is "really that bad" (which he's not) then Robin is the next best choice for what I'm looking for- good disjoints with adaptability and options, along with good matchup coverage for Villager. (Still loses to Sheik and Rosa though, sadly)

I have no idea. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
More curiosity than anything, but if I main :4marth:with a solid pocket :4bayonetta:, is there any MU that Team Fabulous here needs to watch out for?
You'll be have to look out for :4diddy::4pikachu: most notably but for the most part the other matchups are even for one at worst. Although I could be missing a couple

DeltaForce DeltaForce i gave a short answer cause I had a short time to answer and yeah my bad I forgot link and though Samus with her missiles (even though not great) counted. Also please just don't be as aggressive. But yes I'll try to make my posts have more detail.

DJBor DJBor you could trade:4robinm: for :4shulk: but you could also use both. That decision is up to you if you wanna use 3 characters.

Now on my note I'm having pocket trouble and so far :4sheik::4zss::4marth: are still the best choices (gonna pick 1/3). Now I'm going to a tournament Friday and gonna test them out there but I still would like some feedback on the three and how they can benefit my :4feroy::4sonic: duo. And my tough matchups are :4sheik::4cloud::4megaman::4fox::4sonic::4bowser:. (Bowser just cause I personally struggle with him as those two idk why) and I know the matchups for each of the three against them. (I've tested and done research)
For :4sheik:;
5:5:4sheik:(duh), 55:45:4cloud:, 60:40-55:45:4megaman:, 5:5:4fox:, 55:45:4sonic:, 55:45-5:5:4bowser:

For :4zss:;
5:5:4sheik:, 5:5:4cloud:, 55:45:4megaman:
5:5-48:52:4fox:, 55:45:4sonic:, 60:40:4bowser:

For :4marth:;
5:5:4sheik:, 5:5:4cloud:, 5:5:4megaman:, 5:5-45:55:4fox:, 45:55:4sonic:, 60:40:4bowser:

Last edited:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Ok so that was a horrible answer to my suggestion "At least say no I hate Cloud" or "I love Shulk too much dropping him is not an option" I am giving an answer from a competitive standpoint. I feel like Cloud is superior to Shulk in most areas meaning that he would probably better to play with a Villager. I would like to add that the 55:45 matchup Rosa VS Shulk is false according to Dabuz's MU chart Shulk is dominated by Rosa (I don't have exact #s) Cloud would help with that matchup. In short either give me an answer/reason for why you pick Shulk over Cloud or say it is a personal loyalty/hatred

Don't give trash.

Moving on "Hey, I'm a cloud main. I found that a lot of the players I fight don't do well against solid defense and projectile play. I've been thinking along those lines for a secondary, who would you recommend" I apologize I know my advice might be a bit drastic but at least read and consider it with an open mind. I am going to be frank, Cloud is not an excellent solo main, he is actually a bad one. I personally would not advise using Cloud as a main in general. Cloud is viewed by the smash community as a godlike secondary. I would find a new main and use Cloud as a pocket or secondary. Since Cloud covers so many MUs I would find a tech heavy main who differs from Cloud like maybe a Sonic, Villager, Pikachu, Metaknight, ect.

If you think I am crazy then you could do a different path, if you want to continue maining Cloud then I would use Megaman. Megaman is a god a even matchups and is more of a projectile and defensive playstyle. I am not going to lie, Cloud has not very many advanced tech skills and advanced combos. So you have plenty of time left over, So going someone with some "wonky tech skills" I would say is a good idea.

Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 Ok mate don't give the poor guy false information just because you want to look like you know what you are talking about.
:4megaman::4pacman::4samus::4tlink::4villager::4duckhunt::4robinm:Are the projectile characters so one of them. First of all I wouldn't give him Samus becuase her projectile game is really bad. the Only decent projectile she has is Charge shot and the rest of her projectiles are just one trick ponies so I would not include in the list. If he wants GOOD projectile game supporting a defensive playstyle I would say Robin, Villager, Megaman, and TL. Also you forgot Link in your list. This is such a lazy answer because you should also look for compatibility with Cloud and other match ups before making this list.

Ralugi Ralugi Ok So please tell me you were sick the day you wrote this "I'd chop that list down to Villager and Robin. The rest have some wonky tech"
So lets look at this Robin is crazy complicated He call for exteme situational awareness and knowledge of different jabs hit boxes different neutral Bs and Aerials with Thoron. Villager has some crazy tech, his infinite, aerial strings, rocket setups and defensive tree plays with the crazy woodchip combos. Ok and When does Samus have some "wonky tech" (In comparison to Villager and Robin) Seriously man are you kidding me? the rest I can agree on with your assesment of tech.

Bottom line for you Ralugi Ralugi Most characters with heavy projectile game are going to be tricky to use and have amazing tech and setups, there is not really any way around it.

Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 and @Ralug Take more time and effort into your answers and try to be constructive on the forums or just don't talk at all. I repeat

"Don't give trash"
We get it, you’re triggered and all that nonsense. But if you have problem with what people say, address it to them directly. Don’t out people because they take an entire smash boards page worth of redundant analysis.
Asking someone not to talk is rude at best, and ignorant at worst. This is a place where people speak their minds, no matter how small their opinions might seem. Besides, it's not your jurisdiction to tell people what they can and cannot say.

PS: "Don’t Give people Trash."

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
We get it, you’re triggered and all that nonsense. But if you have problem with what people say, address it to them directly. Don’t out people because they don’t take an entire smash boards page worth of redundant analysis.
Asking someone not to talk is rude at best, and ignorant at worst. This is a place where people speak their minds, no matter how small their opinions might seem. Besides, it's not your jurisdiction to tell people what they can and cannot say.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Looks like we almost left Nu~ Nu~ in the dust. While I'm still getting notifications I can bring in some advice, but don't expect me to stick around this time.

So you want the following things in your character:
  • Good movement speed
  • Variety in movement options
  • An "option tree" of followups
  • Someone with a good learning curve
  • A strong neutral
A couple of characters that could fit you:
:4ryu: is strong, mobile, and difficult to deal with (both as a player and as an opponent.) Seems like you're up to the challenge, go for it.
:4greninja: is slick, tricky, and has some of the longest and most technically strict combos in the game. You may have the right mindset for him.
:4zss: has a long library of movement options and stylish setups. Easier than the above two but poses a new challenge- controlling her speed.
:4lucas: is the slowest of these four, but he has many movement options, and winning his difficult neutral leads into long and technical combos.

Last edited:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
@Nu. That sounds straight up :4bayonetta2:/:4zss:. Both are combo makers with serious mix up potential and tight movement. Not to mention technical know how for bayo's gun arts, and Zamus' wavebounce.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Should I main my secondary, :4fox:?
I play :4falco:, so I wanna know if it's a good idea.

DeltaForce

Smash Cadet
We get it, you’re triggered and all that nonsense. But if you have problem with what people say, address it to them directly. Don’t out people because they take an entire smash boards page worth of redundant analysis.

The only reason I did not address you all individually was because I wanted to talk to 3 of you and I figured that this would be more efficient. I am not telling you to not talk at all calm down I requested that you take more thought and effort in your opinions before you posted the OR I said it would be better if you did not talk at all. " Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 and @Ralug Take more time and effort into your answers and try to be constructive on the forums or just don't talk at all." That is what I said, I did not say don't talk on the forums I said to be more constructive forums, or it would be better if you did not talk at all. Yes, a forum is a place where people care share their opinions freely all I was saying is that it would be better if you developed your opinions first or else it might have a negative affect on the person who you are advising. (If that is not what you thought it meant my bad). Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 personally what I would do is if I had limited time for a writeup/reply I would not post it I would start it and finish it another time. Personal recommendation.

@Raulugi the irony of your post is incredible but I don't want to waste space on the forums so if you want to hear it start up a private conversation with me, and Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 I am confused how you think the Bowser vs Sheik MU is 50:50/55:45 Is that a personal matchup are you meaning in your area or is that regional thing or that your opinion on the matchup in general? Because I would like to hear how Bowser can possibly bring it even with Sheik.

DJBor DJBor I totally understand your opinion on Cloud I share a similar one, I just feel obligated to share the best option and I apologize if that was offensive to you. I am in no way saying Shulk is a bad Character, I mean that he is bad as a counter in the matchups as compared to Cloud.I would personally, if between Shulk and Robin I would go Shulk purely for the playstyle mixup. However Robin can deal with speedy characters very well so it is your choice. Porabably Robin though. One gaping hole left in your matchup spread is RosaLuma, Both are really bad against her. The only good counterpicks against her are really hard to play and use simply as counterpicks: Pika, MK, Sheik, and ZZS come to mind. The only one that is easy to pick up is Cloud, that was the main reason I told you to go with him. I would ask you to consider maybe a pocket Cloud ONLY for the RosaLuma matchup?
In short I would say to replace Shulk for Robin and Possibly play Cloud for RosaLuma as a direct counter pick. Or play just with Robin either one is fine.

@Nu Buddy you just described Pikachu, Ralugi Ralugi DJBor DJBor gave good examples but I think the best character based on your description is Pikachu. I know this feels a bit lazy but Esam did a 4-part guide on Pikachu and I feel like he can explain Pika a lot better than I can. Take a look at the guide and tell me what you think and I can answer your questions. Link is https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYo1W5hCll67kky4kFbSBFmxqKivVGKjD

Ralugi Ralugi I am sorry but it is hard to answer it without knowing your preferences results ect. but I will try best I can. I apologize for riding the bandwagon train but I would say yes to fox because of the fact that he is more viable in the current meta or "top tier" Getting better with the better character would probably give you better results especially in the MU spread. Ralugi I can answer again if you are dissatisfied if you can give me some more info.

PS: I really commemorate your for your brilliant use of adding one wood to my little saying and using it against me pure genius :)

Last edited:

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Now you're making sense. I understand that Rosaluma is tough, I got thrashed by one just last week. Shulk in theory has an even matchup (Buster and Smash Monado are known to obliterate Lumas really fast) but I can't seem to get it down. Robin loses but does better against Sheik and Fox. (also Shulk can handle Cloud but you didn't hear it from me) It's a trade-off I'm learning to cope with, and in the end Villager is my real focus. Maybe there's room for both in the pocket.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Does anyone know the MU spread on Fox? I know he's a top tier, but I wanna know which characters really get under his skin. That, and I have trouble finding the MU forum for Fox.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Ralugi Ralugi Well, this is Larry Lurr's opinion on the matter (currently one of the best Fox mains, but I'm sure you already know that), and he tweeted this on the 13th of this month, so it's pretty recent:

(Original link: https://twitter.com/LarryLurr/status/786706212834467840)

This kind of stuff is always changing, and it's bound to have some issues only coming from one person, but it should at least help give you an idea of what to look out for.

Last edited:

DeltaForce

Smash Cadet
DJ I was making sense the whole time maybe a better way to say your point would be to say "Now your speaking my language" just a little thought. Anyway yeah I think Robin loses to Sheik and Fox but I would look at Dath's run from Shine2016 it was a heck of a run and he beat a ton of notable players. I do have to disagree on Shulk handling Cloud. Shulk is at an automatic disadvantage because of frame data. Also Cloud controls the pace of the whole game unless you ignore limit. With Shulks more lackluster approach options (Nair isn't half bad) it really limits his gameplan and strat. As for Rosaluma vs Shulk ehhh idk if you look at Dabuz's MU sheet Shulk is susceptible to heavy juggling game and is forced to approach and for afore mentioned reasons that isn't always the greatest. I think a Robin Shulk and Villager could work theoretically but I would not reccomend it.

Ralugi Ralugi I cannot help you much because of the fact I am not very experienced with Fox but people that outranged him can give him trouble and heavy combo games since he is the fastest faller in the game. I would keep searching for the Fox forum and take a look at Larry Lurr's MU chart that was already provided my bad mine was a little outdated.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
DeltaForce DeltaForce my understanding on the matchup is 55:45 but I could be wrong. Due to bowsers overall armor going through jab, weight, and KO power sheik just looses if she can't get a solid kill decently early. Anyways I'm not considering g Sheik for my pocket anymore due to lack of KO power. It's just not working for me.

So anyway after doing some testing with random characters my best choices for pockets are :4dk::4tlink::4marth::4mewtwo: I don't nessecarily wanna eat who's best, rather I wanna hear what good the characters can do for my :4feroy::4sonic:.

Last edited:

DeltaForce

Smash Cadet
I thought you said you had a pocket ZSS 3 days ago.... (Monday 10/24/16)
I use :4zss:. She goes even with :4fox:but if you aren't careful it'll be tough. Larry Lurr also says mewtwo wins or atleast goes even.

But either way between :4greninja: and :4robinm:, :4greninja:is the better choice so I'd recommend you go with him.
Dude I would not ask questions on this forums until you can find some consistency with matchups and pockets. At this point you are cycling so fast that there is literally no point in answering because by the time I answer you have new matchup issues and you suddenly quit your pocket.

My previous answer still stands I would use Mario as a pocket for afore mentioned reasons

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I thought you said you had a pocket ZSS 3 days ago.... (Monday 10/24/16)

Dude I would not ask questions on this forums until you can find some consistency with matchups and pockets. At this point you are cycling so fast that there is literally no point in answering because by the time I answer you have new matchup issues and you suddenly quit your pocket.

My previous answer still stands I would use Mario as a pocket for afore mentioned reasons
I forgot to edit out zss I goofed there. Her being tough to get a grab with wasnt working out for me. So I'm not considering g her anymore and just the other 4

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to edit out zss I goofed there. Her being tough to get a grab with wasnt working out for me. So I'm not considering g her anymore and just the other 4
Do you need a pocket? Your combination of Roy and Sonic does not seem to have too many flaws so unless you do not enjoy the way they work, you should stick with them and have some fun. After all, ssb4 is played for fun(competitive fun too) so you don't need to have a secondary character just because the matchup is not in your favour. The only reason I dwindled with Luigi is because Wii fit trainer gets obliterated by a small puffball by the name of Kirby. Just have fun, only play a secondary if they fit your playstyle.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Do you need a pocket? Your combination of Roy and Sonic does not seem to have too many flaws so unless you do not enjoy the way they work, you should stick with them and have some fun. After all, ssb4 is played for fun(competitive fun too) so you don't need to have a secondary character just because the matchup is not in your favour. The only reason I dwindled with Luigi is because Wii fit trainer gets obliterated by a small puffball by the name of Kirby. Just have fun, only play a secondary if they fit your playstyle.
I really struggle against :4bowser:(for some odd reason) :4sheik::4fox::4megaman::4sonic::4cloud: So I would really like a pocket.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
"I really struggle against :4sonic:"
plays :4sonic:

Just practice those matchups and see what character does best in them. Sonic goes even with Sonic, and can really mess with Cloud. Mega Man and Bowser I can understand, you could use someone like :4ness: or :4mewtwo: for those two, but you can handle the rest.
Or, of course, keep playing Pikachu...

My search is over. I will continue maining :4villager: with secondaries :4shulk::4robinm:. And if I really need another character (which I'm almost certain I don't), that'll be :4mewtwo:.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
"I really struggle against :4sonic:"
plays :4sonic:

Just practice those matchups and see what character does best in them. Sonic goes even with Sonic, and can really mess with Cloud. Mega Man and Bowser I can understand, you could use someone like :4ness: or :4mewtwo: for those two, but you can handle the rest.
Or, of course, keep playing Pikachu...

My search is over. I will continue maining :4villager: with secondaries :4shulk::4robinm:. And if I really need another character (which I'm almost certain I don't), that'll be :4mewtwo:.
I'm a player who hates dittos and I won't have a good time with full on sonic solo mainers in my region. And I want a pocket for all 6 because I've tried using Sonic or Roy in that matchup and just really had a hard time and I wanna use 3 characters anyway so getting a pocket is the best option in my opinion.

Oh and Pika is just to technical to learn at such an early stage so I'm reserving him for a future main with Mega Man.

Last edited:

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
I'm a player who hates dittos and I won't have a good time with full on sonic solo mainers in my region. And I want a pocket for all 6 because I've tried using Sonic or Roy in that matchup and just really had a hard time and I wanna use 3 characters anyway so getting a pocket is the best option in my opinion.

Oh and Pika is just to technical to learn at such an early stage so I'm reserving him for a future main with Mega Man.
General rule(for me) is to secondary a character that your main can deal with. I would not sonic ditto either if I was not a sonic main. A Cloud would not co-main sheik because sheik ditto so would not be favourable and you would not want to do cloud vs sheik.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Then it's gotta be :4mewtwo: out of those you listed.
But really focus on your mains this time, ok?
I am focusing on them. I just wanna solid pocket to give them some backup. Thanks i was staring to lean towards him anyway. I'll try him out in tournament and see how it goes.

Also I'm dual maining sonic and roy neither is a secondary

Last edited:

DiceOL

Smash Rookie
I main Mewtwo, but I also have a Corrin. Should I change my secondary to better cover Mewtwo's weaknesses, keep Corrin, or not have a secondary at all?

Niche

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
fueg#0
NNID
0hribbon
Who's a good secondary for :4metaknight:? I tend to struggle with :4cloud2::4sonic::4corrin:. Corrin not as much but it's still annoying.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
DiceOL DiceOL That would depend on a number of factors. It's of course a great idea to put emphasis on learning as much as you can about your options under all conditions with your main. However, if you at some point feel as though you're hitting a brick wall, a secondary could do the trick. Measure the amount of success you have using two characters instead of just the one. And hey, if you have more fun playing two, that's important as well!
As far as MUs go, both Mewtwo and Corrin apparently struggle against Diddy Kong. Some characters Diddy Kong mains mention having trouble with are :4megaman::4luigi::4olimar::rosalina::4pikachu:. Most of those are quite tech-heavy, however (Luigi is probably the least difficult to learn, at least based on popular opinion). When it comes down to it, though, if you really have fun using Corrin for backup, go on using Corrin.

Niche Niche Hmmm... Sonic I can see, but Meta Knight does pretty well with the other two. Might want to check on your patience; if you're normally aggressive, try to change it up and go a bit more bait & punish instead.

Aside from that, you could try out Mewtwo. He does decently against some of MK's tougher MUs thanks to his generous range and less linear options.

Hope I've helped you both!

Edit:
General rule(for me) is to secondary a character that your main can deal with. I would not sonic ditto either if I was not a sonic main. A Cloud would not co-main sheik because sheik ditto so would not be favourable and you would not want to do cloud vs sheik.
By the way, I found this very interesting. Thanks for giving me some food for thought!

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Well just got out of my first tournament and I have results on characters.
:4mewtwo: Nope
:4marth:Nah
:4mario:Nooo
:4dk:Maybe lol
:4tlink:Yes
:4pikachu:Yes
:4sonic:Yes
:4feroy:Oh hell yes.
So. :4feroy::4sonic::4pikachu::4tlink: Are the 4 yes characters. In both tournament and friendlies they were for sure the standout, did good with, gonna use characters. Now the struggle is choosing them.
First off, :4feroy: is a 150% for sure using him.
Second off, I wanna use 3 characters, so only dropping 1 out of the remaining 3.
Third off, I want the best mu spread I can get with the three.
As a point of reference, here are the loosing matchups I need covered for Roy.
:4luigi::4diddy::4sheik::4tlink::4marth::4myfriends::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4greninja::4rob::4villager::4megaman::4sonic::4cloud::4bayonetta:.

Last edited:

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
Well just got out of my first tournament and I have results on characters.
:4mewtwo: Nope
:4marth:Nah
:4mario:Nooo
:4dk:Maybe lol
:4tlink:Yes
:4pikachu:Yes
:4sonic:Yes
:4feroy:Oh hell yes.
So. :4feroy::4sonic::4pikachu::4tlink: Are the 4 yes characters. In both tournament and friendlies they were for sure the standout, did good with, gonna use characters. Now the struggle is choosing them.
First off, :4feroy: is a 150% for sure using him..
Second off, I wanna use 3 characters, so only dropping 1 out of the remaining 3.
Third off, I want the best mu spread I can get with the three.
As a point of reference, here are the loosing matchups I need covered for Roy.
:4luigi::4diddy::4sheik::4tlink::4pit::4darkpit::4marth::4lucina::4myfriends::4kirby::4metaknight::4fox::4pikachu::4greninja::4rob::4villager::4megaman::4sonic::4cloud::4bayonetta:.
How long did you practice Mewtwo and the others you counted out? Some characters may seem good because they are played with a simple playstyle. Mewtwo will only get good with many days' practice because of his complex combos(I find all combos complex because Wii fit does not combo). I would recommend toon link because of the projectiles and every character cannot deal with them easily, reflectors and such are not very useful against toon link.

I found the donkey kong, "yes lol" a very good response. Was "lol" put there because he is FUN? Is would play DK just because of that. Guess why I chose Wii Fit Trainer...

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
How long did you practice Mewtwo and the others you counted out? Some characters may seem good because they are played with a simple playstyle. Mewtwo will only get good with many days' practice because of his complex combos(I find all combos complex because Wii fit does not combo). I would recommend toon link because of the projectiles and every character cannot deal with them easily, reflectors and such are not very useful against toon link.

I found the donkey kong, "yes lol" a very good response. Was "lol" put there because he is FUN? Is would play DK just because of that. Guess why I chose Wii Fit Trainer...
So I had been playing with them all week, obviously some like Roy sonic more than the others (and actually pika not for a month) so it was enough time for me to decide and the four I've got are for sure set. And the donkey kong "maybe lol" is cause I was doing good in friendlies with him and it wasn't excepted.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Everyone does well with DK in friendlies. That "maybe lol" is totally warranted.
Go ahead, stick with all four! It's not like you'll need Toon Link or Pikachu for many matchups anyway. I think it's kind of like my Greninja, where it only comes out very rarely for when I'm losing because of a matchup... but it's still there!

This just in- the :4robinm: has been tested. I'm a better Robin than Shulk, but I will be keeping both on the roster for matchup coverage.

StormKnight

Smash Rookie
NNID
Grandtheftreimu
3DS FC
4081-5795-8726
I've been having a difficult time deciding on a main. I used to play :4bowser: in friendlies but since I've gone to tournaments I want to try something new. I've narrowed it down to a couple: :4corrin::4greninja::4marth::4luigi::4robinm::4tlink::4zelda::4zss::4pikachu:
Character wishlist: I'm not too hot on characters like:4bayonetta::4cloud::4fox::rosalina::4mario:. Everyone already plays them, and everyone knows how to beat them. I'd rather be someone who loses with :4zelda: or :4lucina: than be another :4bayonetta2: rando.
I'd love to play :4greninja: or :4zss: but they're so technical and combo-heavy that I feel like I'd never be able to get a handle on them. I'm not great at long combos in any game.
I like :4robinm: but he's hard to play. :4zelda: is really fun but she's hard to play and doesn't get as much out of good play as other characters. There's a guy I know who has a good :4pikachu: that might be able to teach me.

I refuse to play :4diddy::4sonic::4shulk:.

I tend to like characters that are balanced. They can be aggressive, but they're also good at playing defensively and don't completely dissolve under pressure. Out of these characters or any of the roster besides my banned list, what should I play? I want to choose something and stick with it.

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
I've been having a difficult time deciding on a main. I used to play :4bowser: in friendlies but since I've gone to tournaments I want to try something new. I've narrowed it down to a couple: :4corrin::4greninja::4marth::4luigi::4robinm::4tlink::4zelda::4zss::4pikachu:
Character wishlist: I'm not too hot on characters like:4bayonetta::4cloud::4fox::rosalina::4mario:. Everyone already plays them, and everyone knows how to beat them. I'd rather be someone who loses with :4zelda: or :4lucina: than be another :4bayonetta2: rando.
I'd love to play :4greninja: or :4zss: but they're so technical and combo-heavy that I feel like I'd never be able to get a handle on them. I'm not great at long combos in any game.
I like :4robinm: but he's hard to play. :4zelda: is really fun but she's hard to play and doesn't get as much out of good play as other characters. There's a guy I know who has a good :4pikachu: that might be able to teach me.

I refuse to play :4diddy::4sonic::4shulk:.

I tend to like characters that are balanced. They can be aggressive, but they're also good at playing defensively and don't completely dissolve under pressure. Out of these characters or any of the roster besides my banned list, what should I play? I want to choose something and stick with it.
:4luigi: is a fantastic option because of down throw and the follow-ups. The combos are not too hard to perform and are satisfying too. Luigi is pretty good defensively because he slides across the stage when you hit him, when he is offstage, mashing tornado will be useful. You have to set the :GCDpad: to special and press down special using it and them mash :GCB: while holding up on:GCN:. Luigi has a very good recovery with it, see Mr. concon.

In regards to the "too well known" characters. If you want to be the very best, everybody will eventually know how to beat them, I say this because Mario is the most well-rounded character although many will argue that Pac-Man is.

Why did Bowser become un satisfying? If you felt that you were on the receiving end of most attacks and did not enjoy it, that is a perfectly valid reason as that is why I switched from Bowser(
THAT WAS BEFORE I DISCOVERED UP THROW!!!!!
. What happened to tournament bowser that didn't happen to friendly bowser? Bowser is pretty fun so think twice before switching:)

Top Bottom