• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Kulty

Smash Ace
Maybe try :4olimar: :4robinm:or :4shulk:. Off the top of my head, these three came to mind when it comes to spacing. Though none of them play like marth
:4olimar:and:4robinm:don't appeal to me, but :4shulk:does. Is there any other characters? I heard from someone that :4dk::4myfriends::4pit::4darkpit::4metaknight: are good characters that play like Marth? Is it true? I'm interested in all of them, but I'm not sure if they have a similar playstyle and strategies as:4marth:.

Robo no Hana

Smash Rookie
Well :4myfriends:is worth giving a shot cause he's similar to shulk (I like Ike better though). I've seen good things with :4pit:/:4darkpit:and imo they play more like marth than everyone you mentioned. Don't know about :4dk:since only played him a handful of times and :4metaknight: is good if you're ok with his short sword range.

I'd say cycle between them and see which ones feel better for you and watching some tourney matches of characters you're interested in doesn't hurt either (average joe for DK stuff for example)

Personally, I think :4pit:/:4darkpit: is closer to what you're looking for and if you don't know the specific differences between the two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4sFMROOvjI (ultimately does not matter which one you play though)

Kulty

Smash Ace
Well :4myfriends:is worth giving a shot cause he's similar to shulk (I like Ike better though). I've seen good things with :4pit:/:4darkpit:and imo they play more like marth than everyone you mentioned. Don't know about :4dk:since only played him a handful of times and :4metaknight: is good if you're ok with his short sword range.

I'd say cycle between them and see which ones feel better for you and watching some tourney matches of characters you're interested in doesn't hurt either (average joe for DK stuff for example)

Personally, I think :4pit:/:4darkpit: is closer to what you're looking for and if you don't know the specific differences between the two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4sFMROOvjI (ultimately does not matter which one you play though)
Okay. Will try to cycle more between :4myfriends::4pit::4metaknight::4shulk:. I just main :4mario:for now, and I'm basically trying to find three other characters, but I'll wait for every DLC characters to be released to make my final decisions of characters. The next DLC characters can have some potential to be in the metagame and they might be interesting for me (waiting for Rayman... I hope)!

Heilige Kip

Smash Rookie
heey guys,

Atm im maining Lucas. His Pk fire spaces great, toghter with his Zair. And I love his grabs and airials.
The problem is that playing one character isnt fun. And I just can't seem to find another character to play.
Used to play falco, but he doesnt have a good neutral game...
Im looking for a character with a good air game and some good spacing... Can you guys help me out?

TJTheRager

Smash Rookie
NNID
tjtherager
Is it a "thing" to be a man of many mains? Like this game is *so* balanced, that even a year later....I STILL don't really have a primary. Am I the only one who goes through phases? Like the whole first few months, I picked Bowser Jr...now it's like Ness.

:l

Robo no Hana

Smash Rookie
heey guys,

Atm im maining Lucas. His Pk fire spaces great, toghter with his Zair. And I love his grabs and airials.
The problem is that playing one character isnt fun. And I just can't seem to find another character to play.
Used to play falco, but he doesnt have a good neutral game...
Im looking for a character with a good air game and some good spacing... Can you guys help me out?
Well thanks to LeeSmash4Me, I've done more research on the whole spacing thing and I'd suggest: :4megaman:(totally not a biased choice), :4marth:, :rosalina:, :4tlink:, :4rob: and :4duckhunt:(also not biased in any way).
If :4lucas: gets stale for you from time to time maybe just playing some :4ness: would be good? Sure they're similar, but they have some important differences in their moves that you can't really play one like you'd play the other.

Is it a "thing" to be a man of many mains? Like this game is *so* balanced, that even a year later....I STILL don't really have a primary. Am I the only one who goes through phases? Like the whole first few months, I picked Bowser Jr...now it's like Ness.

You're not alone there. A lot of people constantly change their mains. Personally I've gone from :4peach:,:4dedede:, :4luigi:, :4zelda:, :4robinf:, :4villagerf:, :4ryu:, :4charizard:, :4tlink:, :4lucario:, :4dedede:, :4kirby: and :4myfriends: (not in that order), and every time I've said "I love this character, I'm definitely going to main X. Then after a week or so I drop em', in Peach's case I played her for 2 months before I got bored of her.

TAFJ gave some good pointers and suggested Megaman. Played him and found He reminded me of Toon Link, realised I liked that playstyle and found that Duck Hunt and Olimar clicked with me and While I'm Megaman is my main now, I still cycle between these four when I feel like spicing things up.

So maybe finding out why you played :4bowserjr:and what made switch to :4ness: will help you find out how you prefer to play and you can go from there.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Noooooo.

I have gone through phases of other characters as well. I started playing characters I got good at, but days later I suck with that character. I've been good with Lucario, R.O.B., Ness, and Roy, and now they aren't my best. I think it's because my playstyle has been shifting from computer to human, and thus my tactics started suiting other characters.

I still have quite a few characters I'm still looking at: :4bowser::4littlemac::4link::4marth::4megaman::4shulk::4duckhunt:and:4ganondorf:. I may just use them all just for the heck of it.

(8 is a lot of mains, but I don't think it's too many.)

EDIT: Just to clarify, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, and Shulk will be my only true mains. Everyone else will be secondarys.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

There's nothing wrong with that but I'll rather just stick to mastering about 3 characters max.

It makes thing much easier to work with and while having 7-8 mains while going for fun, that's fine but don't work that amount if you trying be much more serious player. Atleast to being around amateur level

Robo no Hana

Smash Rookie
EDIT: Just to clarify, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, and Shulk will be my only true mains. Everyone else will be secondarys.
Megaman and Duck Hunt eh? Could I play you some time? I'm still pretty bad, but I'd like to see how megaman plays first hand and I've never seen one in FG.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834

It's not too uncommon. I consistently main Mario/Doc and Marthcina most of the time with quite a few secondaries, being Zelda, Sheik, Kirby, and Ness. Not to mention I continually just pick up random characters and pocket them, then eventually drop them from disinterest. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I have a pocket of every character almost at this point so I understand characters a bit better, which can be helpful even if you don't play as all of them. So yeah, don't worry too much about switching. You'll eventually just fall into place with 2-3 mains that just work with you most likely, but the only way you'll find out is if you just keep poking around

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
So..... Ive switched mains about 10 times, I started with mario cause he seemed balanced, then dropped him for link, because he spaces well, and mario gets wrecked by swords,from link I went to pacman, Then I realized pacman gets everything used against him and I got tired of having to play like 5 steps ahead of my opponent. So I went ganon, ganon is cool but he struggles against really fast characters and zoners, so I went dk, nice combos fun spacing, disrespectful moves, 3 spikes, a shield break, cool guy, then I wanted to go fox cause why not, hes like ganon relies heavily on reads, hes fast so he can keep up with faster characters, but after landing grabs and nairs, and up airs, I get them to 50% they hit me 5 times and I die. Its irritating that I have to hit them 18 times and then go for a kill setup and they can kill me in like 7. So Im at a crossroad, unsure of whether to go back to a previous main and accept their flaws or go onwards to the rest of the 30 plus characters. Based on previous choices who would you guys reccomend?

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
So..... Ive switched mains about 10 times, I started with mario cause he seemed balanced, then dropped him for link, because he spaces well, and mario gets wrecked by swords,from link I went to pacman, Then I realized pacman gets everything used against him and I got tired of having to play like 5 steps ahead of my opponent. So I went ganon, ganon is cool but he struggles against really fast characters and zoners, so I went dk, nice combos fun spacing, disrespectful moves, 3 spikes, a shield break, cool guy, then I wanted to go fox cause why not, hes like ganon relies heavily on reads, hes fast so he can keep up with faster characters, but after landing grabs and nairs, and up airs, I get them to 50% they hit me 5 times and I die. Its irritating that I have to hit them 18 times and then go for a kill setup and they can kill me in like 7. So Im at a crossroad, unsure of whether to go back to a previous main and accept their flaws or go onwards to the rest of the 30 plus characters. Based on previous choices who would you guys reccomend?
I'd say captain falcon, he can space with bair and up air, he has fun combos that are similar to Marios in the sense that they consist of up air, his move set is a faster and more mobile version of Ganon, he relies on reads often and those reads end in stylish kills, and I'm not sure where he could be similar to pac man but overall comparing him to your past choices I think you might like him if you wanna move on to a new character. I'm sure he'd satisfy you, he is Captain Falcon after all.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
May as well drop a post here and see where it goes.

I favor zoning characters in fighting games (Patchouli in Immaterial and Missing Power, Len in Melty Blood, Nu/Lambda in BlazBlue, etc). While I've never really played puppet characters before I've always found them interesting, and I like Rosalina both as a character and in playstyle, so she's a pretty natural fit as a main for me. What I'm unsure of is who I should pick up as a secondary, and part of it has to do with me not really meshing well with characters that don't immediately make sense to me - which so far has been basically every other character in the game.

I'll keep it short and say that I've put time into every character in single player modes, but against other players :rosalina::4dedede::4greninja: make up 91% of my usage, and I dropped Dedede (too slow for my tastes, feels artificially good on wifi, 1.0.4 nerfs were sadlife) and will probably drop Greninja (fun character but has flaws I'm not comfortable with and I have no emotional attachment to him). Characters making up the better portion of that remaining 9% include :4metaknight::4lucario::4luigi::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4robinf:, but none of them feel like a good fit for me, though I still like Meta Knight and Lucario a fair bit, even if I'm terrible at them - I can do the combos, but I'm awful at everything else.

Characters I refuse to play: :4villager::4wiifit::4charizard::4diddy::4sonic::4sheik::4pacman::4falcon::4shulk::4duckhunt::4mii:
Traits I value:
- Range
- Safe pressure/pokes
- Doesn't struggle with killing
- Does well against :4olimar::4metaknight::4zss:

Psyrim

Smash Rookie
Hello Smashboards!

So, I've played Smash Bros since Melee, and I'm thinking about to step into the competitive Smash Wii U scene, or at least try to pick up a main; and I have yet to settle on a character. Basically, I usually play a lot of Shulk and Marth at the moment, but my playstyle seems to more aerial and spacing, but I love to spike and gimp, I was wondering if you guys can recommend me some characters to play that compliment that sort of style.

I'd really appreciate your help :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Someone with a sword, who's great at spiking, but also has a good aerial and spacing game? Your best bet is :4link:.
Sans spiking, you can try out :4pit:/:4darkpit:, who have a better aerial playstyle. (They do have a spike, but the meteor hitbox is miniscule.)

As you can see in my avatar, I play a lot of characters. However, this has been hurting my chance to play as my main :4greninja:.
Would it be worth forgetting about the other 3 for the most part and adding :4luigi: as another main? I've been practicing his playstyle and I'm enjoying it much more that the others.

Trying to decide by the 27th. Hopefully DLC will come to the rescue?

meetbun

Smash Cadet
NNID
meetbun
What are some character to use that are good for learning fundamentals? I love Lucas as my main
but I do feel like I need to pick a secondary that has a bit more of a basic play style so I can learn the game better.
I know Mario is a good choice but I don't really enjoy playing him, who else is there?

MisterSleeves

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurningRedOgre
Hello Smashboards! I need some help deciding a secondary to pick up in order to cover the problems I have while playing as my main, Duck Hunt. Characters like Pikachu and Rosalina really give me some trouble and while I'm beginning to learn the matchups a little bit, I definitely need a secondary just in case I run into problems.

I've tried a LOT of characters from the roster and while I wouldn't outright refuse to play as any of the characters I have played in the past, I simply don't know who would be the best to cover my bases. My favorite kinds of characters are very unique. I like to stand out when playing and do things in a different way. I don't know if I would say anything in particular that I am looking for in a character (such as combos, spikes, good gimp game, et cetera) so long as they can help me cover Duck Hunt's bases and stand out in the process!

Current Main: :4duckhunt:
Characters I refuse to play: :4luigi::4mario::4sheik::4yoshi::4ryu:
For reference, characters I have tried: :4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4littlemac::4luigi::4robinf::4pacman::4palutena::4wiifit::4bowserjr::4gaw::4rob::4wario2::4alph:

meetbun meetbun : Easy. Try out :4pikachu:. Every one of his attacks just makes sense for the button they're attached to, except for maybe Back Air. Another simple character like this is :4fox:.

@Sleeves: A counterpick for Duck Hunt, to take on top tiers? That's original and varied, with good gimp game and combos, and can spike? :4lucas:.

My question is cancelled. I've found a solution, seen below. And if tomorrow gives the world Isaac, you can bet I'll be picking him up right away.

madzero4

Smash Rookie
link, toon link, zero suit samus and shulk
trying to learn shulk hardcore but don't even know where to begin with the MALLC self training

meetbun

Smash Cadet
NNID
meetbun
meetbun meetbun : Easy. Try out :4pikachu:. Every one of his attacks just makes sense for the button they're attached to, except for maybe Back Air. Another simple character like this is :4fox:.
Thank you! I'll give them a shot, though I always felt like pika was too advanced for me, probably just watching too many pros play him.

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Hi hi
I've been using Peach a lot. I use Zelda too. Sometimes Rosalina. Sometimes Ike.

I really like spamming moves in the air and spending time in the air. What can you recommend that's not jigglypuff?

P Psyrim : Post-Nintendo Direct? I think I found your new main. Cloud is:
1. A swordfighter
2. With great aerial game
3. Has an amazing spike
4. Has a tall spacing projectile

When he gets released, definitely give him a try. Looks like your perfect fit.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
P Psyrim : Post-Nintendo Direct? I think I found your new main. Cloud is:
1. A swordfighter
2. With great aerial game
3. Has an amazing spike
4. Has a tall spacing projectile

When he gets released, definitely give him a try. Looks like your perfect fit.
I'm sure everyone will be giving him a try, but we can't confirm that he'll be all of those things quite yet....still yeah I agree

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I've been getting back into the game recently, but I feel like I don't really have anyone I like. I play Roy, but he's not really what I'm looking for.

Traits I value:
  • Good poke/non-projectile zoning game
  • Does damage in single hits or short strings as opposed to long combos
  • At least decent at killing
  • Not unviable
Minor preferences:
  • Usable recovery
  • Good grab game
  • Not too light
Old Mains: :drmario: :ganondorf: (Melee) :marth: (Melee) :dedede: :wolf: :charizard:

Characters I refuse to play: :4dedede: :4wario: :4palutena: :4villager: :4littlemac: :4wiifit::4shulk: :4megaman: :4pacman: :4duckhunt: :4ryu: :4miibrawl: :4sonic:

mdoepker

Smash Cadet
NNID
mdoepker
Hey everybody! So I'm really new to smashboards and I'm looking to get into the Smash scene. I haven't played any of the games competitively before, but have all of them but 64. My favourite characters in the game are Toon Link, Kirby, Bowser Jr., Wario, Bowser, Pac-Man, and really any of the kind of goofy characters or ones from the Zelda/Pokemon series. When it comes to play style I typically like a more versatile character: good with close combat, but also can have at least one option for projectiles to keep people out. I'm not opposed to walling characters or ones without projectiles, but I do want them to have at least fairly reliable recovery.

At the moment, I think I'm "settled" on Toon Link or Kirby, but I am curious about thoughts on that.

GunGuts

Smash Cadet
I've been getting back into the game recently, but I feel like I don't really have anyone I like. I play Roy, but he's not really what I'm looking for.

Traits I value:
  • Good poke/non-projectile zoning game
  • Does damage in single hits or short strings as opposed to long combos
  • At least decent at killing
  • Not unviable
Minor preferences:
  • Usable recovery
  • Good grab game
  • Not too light
Old Mains: :drmario: :ganondorf: (Melee) :marth: (Melee) :dedede: :wolf: :charizard:

Characters I refuse to play: :4dedede: :4wario: :4palutena: :4villager: :4littlemac: :4wiifit::4shulk: :4megaman: :4pacman: :4duckhunt: :4ryu: :4miibrawl: :4sonic:
Well, I think Marth fits all those traits that you value and I'm confident that he's not unviable. Another character you might like is DK. His tilts are good pokes, he's good at killing, and he has a good grab game.

Hey everybody! So I'm really new to smashboards and I'm looking to get into the Smash scene. I haven't played any of the games competitively before, but have all of them but 64. My favourite characters in the game are Toon Link, Kirby, Bowser Jr., Wario, Bowser, Pac-Man, and really any of the kind of goofy characters or ones from the Zelda/Pokemon series. When it comes to play style I typically like a more versatile character: good with close combat, but also can have at least one option for projectiles to keep people out. I'm not opposed to walling characters or ones without projectiles, but I do want them to have at least fairly reliable recovery.

At the moment, I think I'm "settled" on Toon Link or Kirby, but I am curious about thoughts on that.
Welcome to Smashboards. I'm fairly new here myself. Toon Link and Kirby are decent characters with versatile moves. Mario is another good versatile character. Good close combat, a decent projectile, and a decent recovery.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

What is the ideal number of characters to have as mains and secondaries when you follow these conditions:
1) You want to be or act like a tournament player
2) You want to play as many characters as you want in a semi-competitive environment, because you enjoy many characters
*NOTE: My definition of main is a character that you want to play and absolutely want to win. My definition of secondary is imo a character that you like and that you have fun, but doesn't necessarily help you for tournaments.
I heard that the ideal number of mains is between 1 and 2, while for secondaries, I don't know. I really don't know the ideal number for your crew of characters (3,4,5 or more, mains and secondaries included)? I'll give my list based on previous Smash games:

64: :mario64:
Melee: :marthmelee:(main), :drmario::falcomelee: (secondaries)
Brawl: :marth:(main),:mario2:(secondary)
Project M: :ganondorf:(main), :marth::mario2::falco:(secondaries)
Smash 4: don't know numbers, but I plan to spend more time in this game than the other Smash games.

The more characters I have in a game, the more I enjoy that game (or mod) and more I plan to spend time with it.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
Hi guys,

What is the ideal number of characters to have as mains and secondaries when you follow these conditions:
1) You want to be or act like a tournament player
2) You want to play as many characters as you want in a semi-competitive environment, because you enjoy many characters
*NOTE: My definition of main is a character that you want to play and absolutely want to win. My definition of secondary is imo a character that you like and that you have fun, but doesn't necessarily help you for tournaments.
I heard that the ideal number of mains is between 1 and 2, while for secondaries, I don't know. I really don't know the ideal number for your crew of characters (3,4,5 or more, mains and secondaries included)? I'll give my list based on previous Smash games:

64: :mario64:
Melee: :marthmelee:(main), :drmario::falcomelee: (secondaries)
Brawl: :marth:(main),:mario2:(secondary)
Project M: :ganondorf:(main), :marth::mario2::falco:(secondaries)
Smash 4: don't know numbers, but I plan to spend more time in this game than the other Smash games.

The more characters I have in a game, the more I enjoy that game (or mod) and more I plan to spend time with it.

I'd like to say that there's two types of secondaries

1) A character you enjoy playing for the sake of playing them, like you said.
2) A tactical investment to cover for your main's weaknesses.

For example, l main Ike, a very balanced character in Sm4sh, who can zone around a bit with his sword, get in with some quick attacks and small strings, and get some of this HARD READS, but he gets camped easily and he needs some space for many of his attcks. As such, l'd need either a more aggressive and/or a more defensive character to help out with his weaknesses. Or instead, l could just learn the difficult matchups, which l hear aren't nearly as lopsided as some MUs. l've been thinking of picking up Meta Knight as an aggressor, but l'm not sure who'd be the campy character... l'd like to say Robin, but Villager seems so more appealing....

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879

It's called not having a main. That's not a bad thing, either. It's simply a factual statement. You don't prefer to play any character substantially more than others: you have no main. Does this give a negative context? Certainly not.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I'd like to say that there's two types of secondaries

1) A character you enjoy playing for the sake of playing them, like you said.
2) A tactical investment to cover for your main's weaknesses.

For example, l main Ike, a very balanced character in Sm4sh, who can zone around a bit with his sword, get in with some quick attacks and small strings, and get some of this HARD READS, but he gets camped easily and he needs some space for many of his attcks. As such, l'd need either a more aggressive and/or a more defensive character to help out with his weaknesses. Or instead, l could just learn the difficult matchups, which l hear aren't nearly as lopsided as some MUs. l've been thinking of picking up Meta Knight as an aggressor, but l'm not sure who'd be the campy character... l'd like to say Robin, but Villager seems so more appealing....
I see. I was about to consider the second definition as well, but a secondary to me is mostly based on the first type. I`ll give you an example for mine. In Melee, my solo main is :marthmelee:. In order to cover some of his matchups that he struggles (mostly :sheikmelee::falconmelee:), I need someone who can counter them (according to your second type). I decided to pick :falcomelee:, because I feel more comfortable with him rather than :foxmelee:, because it`s like one mistake in your technical imputs and you`re doomed. I don't feel that way too much with Falco since I personally think Falco is less risky to use due to his lasers and combo capabilities. As for my other secondary, I decided to pick :drmario:, since I feel more comfortable than:mariomelee:and he's technically my favorite character to play in the entire game.

So are you trying to imply that having three characters in total (mains and secondaries included) is the ideal number of characters to represent the balance between being a tournament player (they usually have one or two characters) and a semi-competitive player (someone who plays as many characters as they want because they want to enjoy the game and have fun)?

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I see. I was about to consider the second definition as well, but a secondary to me is mostly based on the first type. I`ll give you an example for mine. In Melee, my solo main is :marthmelee:. In order to cover some of his matchups that he struggles (mostly :sheikmelee::falconmelee:), I need someone who can counter them (according to your second type). I decided to pick :falcomelee:, because I feel more comfortable with him rather than :foxmelee:, because it`s like one mistake in your technical imputs and you`re doomed. I don't feel that way too much with Falco since I personally think Falco is less risky to use due to his lasers and combo capabilities. As for my other secondary, I decided to pick :drmario:, since I feel more comfortable than:mariomelee:and he's technically my favorite character to play in the entire game.

So are you trying to imply that having three characters in total (mains and secondaries included) is the ideal number of characters to represent the balance between being a tournament player (they usually have one or two characters) and a semi-competitive player (someone who plays as many characters as they want because they want to enjoy the game and have fun)?
I think that having three mains is a pretty fair amount for what you want. In pretty much all the games I main :mariomelee:/:drmario:, :marthmelee:, and :icsmelee:. While this for me just happened to be out of liking the characters at first, they do seem to work with each other pretty well. On a side note, though, I think your skill level or what level of play you're at shouldn't effect your main amount. But that's just my opinion, and I totally agree that 3 mains is a great amount for what you're asking

InfinityDM

Smash Rookie

Legit do not worry about switching mains constantly. I've literally cycled through the following characters: :4charizard:, :4diddy:, :4fox:, :4greninja:, :4myfriends:, :4littlemac:, :4mario:, :4luigi:, :4marth:, :4megaman:, :4peach:, :4pikachu:, :4pit:/:4darkpit:, :rosalina:, :4sheik:, :4zss:, :4metaknight:, :4shulk:, :4rob: and have finally found my main in :4ryu:.

This is a massive problem within our specific Smash community that I think doesn't really occur in the more popular Melee community. People play WAY too many mains at once (often 5-6 characters at once) which is just not sustainable for any player to even hope to be good. I suggest you cycle through as many characters as possible and get about 3 who you enjoy playing the most. Then commit to playing each of them for an allotted time (lets say, 1 month?) and then you'll find your main. Hope that helps! :154:

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436

It depends more on the character's weaknesses, but three sounds acceptable.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I think that having three mains is a pretty fair amount for what you want. In pretty much all the games I main :mariomelee:/:drmario:, :marthmelee:, and :icsmelee:. While this for me just happened to be out of liking the characters at first, they do seem to work with each other pretty well. On a side note, though, I think your skill level or what level of play you're at shouldn't effect your main amount. But that's just my opinion, and I totally agree that 3 mains is a great amount for what you're asking
Thanks, because I was wondering if more than 3 characters was way too much, but I guess it is. I just have to redo the count. Do you think that four characters is acceptable or too much? I'm trying a mix of acting like a tournament player while having fun with many characters at the same time.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Thanks, because I was wondering if more than 3 characters was way too much, but I guess it is. I just have to redo the count. Do you think that four characters is acceptable or too much? I'm trying a mix of acting like a tournament player while having fun with many characters at the same time.
Four is fine as well, 3 is just what I see as the most average. Technically speaking I have four mains in Sm4sh :4mario:,:4drmario:,:4marth:,:4lucina: but they're clones that I can put in rotation easily and not be messed up by slight playstyle differences, so it's really just 2 or 3. Alongside this I have 4 other characters I play which are more pockets, but I still put time into them. I haven't been to many tournaments yet, but the real test to how well your amount of mains will fare in your play will be if you're comfortable in tournament while having that many. You can have those mains, but it'll be up to you to decide how you feel with that amount once you start hitting up tournaments

Kulty

Smash Ace
Four is fine as well, 3 is just what I see as the most average. Technically speaking I have four mains in Sm4sh :4mario:,:4drmario:,:4marth:,:4lucina: but they're clones that I can put in rotation easily and not be messed up by slight playstyle differences, so it's really just 2 or 3. Alongside this I have 4 other characters I play which are more pockets, but I still put time into them. I haven't been to many tournaments yet, but the real test to how well your amount of mains will fare in your play will be if you're comfortable in tournament while having that many. You can have those mains, but it'll be up to you to decide how you feel with that amount once you start hitting up tournaments
Okay. I ask this because I plan to spend more time in Smash 4 than any other games. Like I plan to have only one character in 64, two characters in Melee and Brawl, three characters for PM and four in Smash 4. So yeah, but as for PM, I might plan to put my Melee mains as pockets, because I want to try something different in PM and try characters that feel different compared to his main appearances in Smash.
Also, I'm not gonna use my secondaries often in Smash 4, one that's more focused for specific matchups which covers MUs that my two mains struggle and the other simply being my favorite character in the whole game (that will be difficult to decide).

Verin

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I'm having a bit of a character crisis right now. I currently main MK, but his defensive neutral puts me off. I'm looking for a character with a fast, aggressive play style with a good combo game.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
Hey guys! I'm having a bit of a character crisis right now. I currently main MK, but his defensive neutral puts me off. I'm looking for a character with a fast, aggressive play style with a good combo game.
Sheik. Captain Falcon. Roy. Mario. Mii Brawler. Fox. Diddy(?).

Top Bottom