• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Hi all. I have a definite set of mains, but as a melee player, I am scared that they are all "bad" and not good enough. I main :4link: and :4mewtwo:, but I play a :4darkpit: player very often and use :4pit: to counter him and when my first two fail I use :4pit: also. (he's probably gonna see this lol)

I know a guy who had an awesome Tink but then a good fox just demoralized him. As bad as I feel, I don't want that to happen to me.

Will I need a top tier like :4sheik:? Is 3 too much for me to legitimately get good? And would 3 hold me back? If 3 is too much, which should I pick?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I've been getting back into the game recently, but I feel like I don't really have anyone I like. I play Roy, but he's not really what I'm looking for.

Traits I value:
  • Good poke/non-projectile zoning game
  • Does damage in single hits or short strings as opposed to long combos
  • At least decent at killing
  • Not unviable
Minor preferences:
  • Usable recovery
  • Good grab game
  • Not too light
Old Mains: :drmario: :ganondorf: (Melee) :marth: (Melee) :dedede: :wolf: :charizard:

Characters I refuse to play: :4dedede: :4wario: :4palutena: :4villager: :4littlemac: :4wiifit::4shulk: :4megaman: :4pacman: :4duckhunt: :4ryu: :4miibrawl: :4sonic:
Have you considered Rosalina? She's light, but she sounds like a perfect match otherwise.

TAFJ

Smash Rookie
Hi all. I have a definite set of mains, but as a melee player, I am scared that they are all "bad" and not good enough. I main :4link: and :4mewtwo:, but I play a :4darkpit: player very often and use :4pit: to counter him and when my first two fail I use :4pit: also. (he's probably gonna see this lol)

I know a guy who had an awesome Tink but then a good fox just demoralized him. As bad as I feel, I don't want that to happen to me.

Will I need a top tier like :4sheik:? Is 3 too much for me to legitimately get good? And would 3 hold me back? If 3 is too much, which should I pick?
I think three is a fine number, just try not to go higher. In my opinion Link is mid-tier, Mewtwo is bottom 10 (Japan thinks a little higher of him), and Pit is borderline/ high tier. So your strategy of switching to a pocket Pit is a good one, as he has little bad match-ups, and many even ones. I say keep playing these characters. There is no point in playing who you don't like, and I personally think Pit is good enough to support them.

Natis

Smash Apprentice
Oh! I made a video on how to pick the perfect main character in Super Smash Bros! Maybe it'll help someone here!
(If you watched and couldn't figure out that it was a joke video... shame on you. I'm literally giving the dumbest advice I can.) :p

But in all seriousness, I think picking a main comes down to what character do you like, and does he/she fit your fighting style. For me personally, I like to play as Captain Falcon because my fighting style is a little more aggressive. Falcon for me is a good fit of what I'm looking for because I like the dude, and he can be an aggressive character.
I tend to like other characters that have a good foward air like Bowser or Roy (in my opinion, I'm certainly not a pro, I just enjoy playing them as well) because I like to gimp opponents trying to recover onto the ledge.

Ultimately, you can look at the tier list and try to get good with at who is on the top, or you can pick who you enjoy to play as and get the best you can with that character! That decision is up to you!

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
I've been getting back into the game recently, but I feel like I don't really have anyone I like. I play Roy, but he's not really what I'm looking for.

Traits I value:
  • Good poke/non-projectile zoning game
  • Does damage in single hits or short strings as opposed to long combos
  • At least decent at killing
  • Not unviable
Minor preferences:
  • Usable recovery
  • Good grab game
  • Not too light
Old Mains: :drmario: :ganondorf: (Melee) :marth: (Melee) :dedede: :wolf: :charizard:

Characters I refuse to play: :4dedede: :4wario: :4palutena: :4villager: :4littlemac: :4wiifit::4shulk: :4megaman: :4pacman: :4duckhunt: :4ryu: :4miibrawl: :4sonic:
I highly recommend my one and only main: :4luigi:

• His jabs come out fairly far, so they're good for poking.
  • His combos are based off his down throw and aren't hard to do, so thats got two points covered.
  • His U-Smash and B air are okay kill options
  • He was so viable they nerfed him

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm in a serious predicament.

I was a pacman main ever since the game came out, but I eventually started to realize that I'm not a natural defensive player. It bores me after a while. I love a character that has a lot of room for flashy, creative setups/combos and I need to have depth. An easy bake, linear character that has one streamlined goal is my anathema. I also love projectile/item play, but rather than using projectiles to keep an opponent out, I want to use them to extend combos or create innovative offensive traps.

A safe and rewarding SH game is important to me as well.

The problem is, I don't know what aggressive character has these qualities. Mind helping a bro out?

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny

I was a pacman main ever since the game came out, but I eventually started to realize that I'm not a natural defensive player. It bores me after a while. I love a character that has a lot of room for flashy, creative setups/combos and I need to have depth. An easy bake, linear character that has one streamlined goal is my anathema. I also love projectile/item play, but rather than using projectiles to keep an opponent out, I want to use them to extend combos or create innovative offensive traps.

The problem is, I don't know what aggressive character has these qualities. Mind helping a bro out?
:4diddy:?

Psyrim

Smash Rookie
P Psyrim : Post-Nintendo Direct? I think I found your new main. Cloud is:
1. A swordfighter
2. With great aerial game
3. Has an amazing spike
4. Has a tall spacing projectile

When he gets released, definitely give him a try. Looks like your perfect fit.
I greatly appreciate your advice :) when I saw cloud's trailer, I went nuts! Yeah I can definitely see how he could fit my play style. His trailor alone make me replay final fantasy 7

Nu~ Nu~ : Flashy? Creative? :4falcon:. No more words needed.
Simperheve Simperheve : The best match I can find is :4ganondorf:. No, he's not unviable! It takes very few hits with Ganon to get anywhere, you just have to be able to get as much defense time as possible, since he's kind of exploitable. Also, a lot of his attacks, esp. jab and down tilt, are good pokes.
If you don't like to play with a slow character, but still want solid no-projectile zoning, :4marth: is your bread and butter. It takes a decent while practicing to get the hang of the tipper, but once you've got it down then all of the above is covered.

Last edited:

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so how I pick my mains is by how much I have fun with them. My first main was PAC-MAN because he was a lot of fun to use. I've noticed that all the fun characters are the ones that always seem happy and jolly in their games. In my opinion, the most fun characters to play are PAC-MAN, Kirby, and Mario. After seeing which characters you have fun with, learn to play them well, so that you can both be good at the game and have a good time as well.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever

:4diddy:;:4peach:?

TAFJ

Smash Rookie

Diddy and Peach have been suggested, and they're good suggestions, but I might add Toon Link and Mega Man to the list. While they are defensive, they are also very mobile. A part of their play is keeping opponents out, but its also subtly pressuring with your items and hit-and-run tactics. Both characters are fun to watch, and have interesting combos off of their items.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman

Hello person I've never seen before. I was looking through this cause I was bored and I noticed you want to switch out of Pac-Man. Well I have one thing to say to you... Have you tried Robin? Think about, while Robin isn't that fast but their offense is pretty nifty. The books and sword aren't as easy to get as some of the other item users but it can open up a whole 'nother avenue of gameplay.

You could also try ROB cause his gyro does go away as easily as some of the other items but... Whatever.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I was redirected here to have one of my questions asked. That question is to determine other characters that can play a certain playstyle well.

Prior to this ask, I have assessed some things that I like with a character: I do like playing bait-and-punish characters, regardless of offense or defense, as I feel very comfy playing with Kirby (main) and Wario. I also seem to like floaty characters in general, as I do like playing characters like Samus and Rosalina & Luma. Characters like Zero Suit Samus I seem to struggle with since my playstyle doesn't mesh well with the character.

I'm looking for some characters that might fit this "bait-and-punish" playstyle, as well as some things to try out that might be good enough for me to understand with my mentality. Could you also please ask of some examples of how these characters might apply and work, if that isn't too much?

Thank you for the advice.

SapphSabre777 SapphSabre777 I suggest bump up that :4luigi:. He's floaty and has an amazing punish game, as well as a very rounded moveset.
Another bait-and-punish that's a bit heavier is :4myfriends:. Counter and smashes are very easy to bait into, not to mention he has some solid non-projectile spacing.

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
Hello everyone,

Until some time ago, I've always played Smash casually, with items on, illegal stages and free-for-all, so I used to main characters that I found funny and I had fun with, like DK, Wario or Bowser (heavy hitters = strong hits = best in the game am I right?)
But I decided to change that with this current itineration of Smash. Now, I want to get better in the competitive way of playing this game, but I can't find a character that fits me.
I like characters that are fun to watch, characters that can be played efficiently being fun to see, with an stylish way of dealing with their opponents. That is why I main Falco in Melee, because of the multishines, the d-air combos and all the mix-ups he has.
Unfortunately, I cannot find a character like him in Smash 4. I've tried many characters, but I don't seem to connect with them, so I came here to ask you if you could recommend one or two characters.

So far, my conditions would be these:

-viable competitively
-have some combos (even if it's only a throw to one attack)
-have a spike
-can play defensively if required

And these would be secondary conditions, but you can request a character that doesn't fit these

-have a zoning projectile
-can edgeguard

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! I'm looking forward to them.

Last edited:
Admittedly, your selection of :4cloud: is pretty good. But there's 52 characters to play as is, and plenty are what you're looking for.
I think you'd have fun trying to decode the mysteries of :4wiifit:. She has 2 projectiles, a Deep Breathing mode to become a heavy hitter, and some really weird properties to her moves, some of which can spike in unexpected ways.

TAFJ

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone,

Until some time ago, I've always played Smash casually, with items on, illegal stages and free-for-all, so I used to main characters that I found funny and I had fun with, like DK, Wario or Bowser (heavy hitters = strong hits = best in the game am I right?)
But I decided to change that with this current itineration of Smash. Now, I want to get better in the competitive way of playing this game, but I can't find a character that fits me.
I like characters that are fun to watch, characters that can be played efficiently being fun to see, with an stylish way of dealing with their opponents. That is why I main Falco in Melee, because of the multishines, the d-air combos and all the mix-ups he has.
Unfortunately, I cannot find a character like him in Smash 4. I've tried many characters, but I don't seem to connect with them, so I came here to ask you if you could recommend one or two characters.

-viable competitively
-have a spike

And these would be secondary conditions, but you can request a character that doesn't fit these

-can edgeguard

:4rob: and :4wiifit: immediately come to mind. :4rob: isn't as stylish, and :4wiifit: isn't as viable (mid-tier-ish imo), but I think both are good choices.
:4rob:has combos (mainly dthrow to uair), a spike (dair), zoning projectiles (lasers and gyro), and can edgeguard well with gyro setups at the ledge.
:4wiifit: can combo out of nair, has multiple spikes (you'd have to look up which cuz IDK), has two projectiles, and excels off-stage.

Other characters that could potentially work for you are Ryu, Pit/Dark Pit, Yoshi, and a few others that I'm missing.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher

I know this has been said before, but consider Robin. He isn't exactly the most aggressive character in the game, but he fits a number of your criteria. His SH game is fantastic, nair, fair, bair, and up air are all big moves that either SH auto cancel or have naturally low landing lag. His projectiles start and extend combos AND keep people out. His tome mechanic both prevents linearity and provides items to throw and z-drop and such with.

But, as I said, he likely lends himself more towards defense, what with having the slowest dash speed in the game and all.

Duck Hunt imo has a ton of room to implement offensive use of his unique projectiles, both on stage and off stage. His bread and butter is setting up frame traps and stringing hits with projectiles to rack damage. I struggle to fully recommend him though, since I feel he may not be good enough as-is to hold your interest. His SH game isn't really worth mentioning.

Others worth trying out: :4diddy:,:4peach:,:4bowserjr:(decent SH game, mecha koopa, a bit streamlined though),:4dedede:(bad, but Gordos are only really useful for traps, not walling),:4villager:(Ranai style may suit your needs),:4tlink:(bomb confirms are fun)

Keep in mind that you can play any character aggressively, but if you want one that can play in an aggressive manner effectively, probably look at the top characters mostly. Hope this helped, or better yet, hopefully you don't need this and already found your match!

Seevil

Smash Rookie
i don't really know who to main because i don't really have much of a play style. but in skullgirls i mained ms.fortune, as well as parasol / filia / elizia, and in blazblue i mained taokaka and rachel.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
i don't really know who to main because i don't really have much of a play style. but in skullgirls i mained ms.fortune, as well as parasol / filia / elizia, and in blazblue i mained taokaka and rachel.
First off, Taokaka yiiii~ Represent!

Now unfortunately that doesn't tell me much except that you like...female characters? Quite a disparate variety there. If you want to find a man, but you don't know what kind of playstyle you'd prefer, I guess the best thing to ask is, what kind of playstyle do you not want to play? Do you have any characters you just dislike and don't want to main?

Seevil

Smash Rookie
First off, Taokaka yiiii~ Represent!

Now unfortunately that doesn't tell me much except that you like...female characters? Quite a disparate variety there. If you want to find a man, but you don't know what kind of playstyle you'd prefer, I guess the best thing to ask is, what kind of playstyle do you not want to play? Do you have any characters you just dislike and don't want to main?
uhh i guess i dlslike little mac, now that i think about it, i kinda would like to be able to do things offstage sometimes. i don't really like the slower characters a whole lot for instance DK Ganon etc. but now that you mention it, i started thinking a bit an i think i'd like to main shiek, marth, zss, peach, zelda, roy, ryu, or link.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
uhh i guess i dlslike little mac, now that i think about it, i kinda would like to be able to do things offstage sometimes. i don't really like the slower characters a whole lot for instance DK Ganon etc. but now that you mention it, i started thinking a bit an i think i'd like to main shiek, marth, zss, peach, zelda, roy, ryu, or link.
Okay, that's a good first step. What I'd suggest you do is hit training mode and practice each of those characters until you get a feel for them, then take them online or have a few games with a friend and see which one clicks with you best.

There's no objective method of finding a main, it's just something you know has happened when it happens. Even then, you don't strictly need a main if you're comfortable playing different characters: the best player in my scene doesn't commit to one character, he has a few favourites that he's very good with and he can beat most of us with any of his six or so characters. If you feel restricted by picking just one character, then don't - diversity is the spice of life, right?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
So, I have a particularly hard time sticking to characters. I dunno if I get bored or discouraged or what, but it just hasn't worked so far. It's mostly a Smash issue, though. I do dabble in other games like BlazBlue and UNIeL, but I have pretty defined mains in those games. In BlazBlue, I like Amane a lot, I guess because of his strong but unusual spacing style and unique focus on chip damage, and I don't mind him aesthetically either. I don't know if there is any particular character that plays like him, or if it would help.

I've got a fair amount of experience with a few characters (:4robinm::4tlink::4greninja::4ness:) and can play most characters competently or better. I have picked up and dropped them for various reasons ranging from feeling their particular weaknesses hurt them too much, finding them too linear or boring, or just getting frustrated. I'm not super sure of what sort of player I am, despite playing the game since launch and having a decade of Smash experience under my belt. I've always been one to switch around characters constantly, even in other games like Tales of Vesperia lmao

Maybe I'm just not cut out to have a main. Indecision and boredom are ongoing issues I guess. If I had to pick, I would say I'm more of a defensive player, though my reaction time seems to be mediocre. I like being able to play safe, I like edge guarding, and I dunno, I need a character or two that can keep things fresh. I've tried damn near every character in the game. Nothing has stuck or clicked in that magic way, you know? Maybe Cloud will scratch the itch but he doesn't seem like my type of character.

I guess I want tips or suggestions, but I feel like I've read and watched every guide on picking a main and half a million forums posts on how people got theirs. I may just be overthinking things as usual and need a break from the game, but figured a post here could help.

:201h::201e::201l::201p:

Last edited:

TAFJ

Smash Rookie
Reading this I could suggest a lot of characters for a lot of reasons. :4olimar:is defensive, and his Pikimin "chips" away at your opponents. I don't know what you mean by weird spacing, but :4myfriends: and :4shulk:have huge swords. Patient minds with a good sense of spacing benefit them. :4peach: is a character that is defensive, has a high skill cap (for the challenge, and to not get bored), and can get the results to back it up. :4mario: and :4pit: don't have many weaknesses to get frustrated with. :4villager:, :4pacman:, and :4pit: are pretty good edge-guarders. :4villager:applying mid-long range pressure, and :4pacman: setting up crazy traps has it allure. Maybe even :4gaw: for his bizarre animations and his lack of representation.
I personally love :4rob: for its precise spacing, having projectiles so I can fight while not directly in my opponent's face, powerful options OoS and off of grabs, interesting Gyro set-ups, and along with all of this, not completely shutting down close-range. Its quick enough, but not too touchy or speedy. Heavy, without feeling stuck to the floor. Safe and defensive, but also proactive. Maybe you're looking for something similar?

I dunno

If you get bored frequently, have you considered playing two or three characters that are vastly different from each other? Not feeling like Villager today? Whip out your Charizard. Bad match-up? Throw out your Meta Knight. Usually I wouldn't suggest this because most people stick with a general playstyle, but if you're really that desperate...

What franchises do you like? That is usually a fantastic place to start. Even if you don't end up liking how your favorite characters outside Smash play, figuring out why could be a good next step.

Remember, sometimes characters don't immediately click for some people. You have to go around and really try to find a good fit.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Thank you for the suggestions. I will have to give them all a shot. ROB especially might be a good fit, since I'm a sucker for characters with item game. I will likely end up playing 2 or 3 characters, cycling through as I get bored, and maybe narrow them down as time goes on.

As for favorite franchises... I used to be a big Pokemon player, but I burned myself out of that series (400+ hours of IV breeding/EV training 60+ Pokemon in the span of a couple months will do that). I am a fraudulent FE fan Only played Awakening and loved it at the time, but can't say I look forward to Fates. I guess I like Animal Crossing as well. Mario is an old childhood staple but I'm not really attached to the characters. I guess I've never really been able to pinpoint my favorites. Shoot, I can't even decide on a favorite color.

If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be Robin. Robin was my most wanted newcomer and is my most played character. I'm a sucker for mages. Playing him against Marios and Foxes takes a toll on my sanity, but I click well with him for the most part. It took time. I still put him away pretty often because I dunno, he feels not good enough at times. I should probably just pick a secondary and/or git gud.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It's probably really dull and unhelpful advice, but maybe you just need to put more time into the overall cast to get it figured out.

Rosalina was my most wanted newcomer, but she felt weird to play to me early on and she took a backseat to Dedede and Greninja. Both those characters had their own issues I wasn't happy with though, so I spent much of the first several months of the game hopping across the entire cast trying to figure things out. And, unfortunately, every other character I tried had even more issues I wasn't happy with. Luigi's recovery was poor without his double jump and I can't mash hard enough for jumpless cyclone; the way Meta Knight plays feels very unintuitive to me (this can also be said for many other characters like Mario, Fox, Robin, Yoshi, etc.); Jigglypuff's lack of range weight and ground game were too depressing; Lucario felt like he had a bad combination of range/speed and relied too much on Aura Sphere to make up for it; many of Palutena's attacks felt needlessly laggy or weak (or both); playing Mega Man well for an entire match is too much of a mental strain and shorthop lemons were difficult for me back then; and the list goes on.

It wasn't until I came back to Rosalina a couple more times that I realized I'd been playing her all wrong, spacing with her wrong, underutilizing great moves such as jab grabs usmash and bair, and once that started to come together she went from feeling awkward to being the character I'd been looking for the whole time.

tl;dr It's possible that the character that fits you doesn't seem like they're The One because of a facet of their gameplay you may be neglecting.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I've got a fair amount of experience with a few characters (:4robinm::4tlink::4greninja::4ness:) and can play most characters competently or better. I have picked up and dropped them for various reasons ranging from feeling their particular weaknesses hurt them too much, finding them too linear or boring, or just getting frustrated. I'm not super sure of what sort of player I am, despite playing the game since launch and having a decade of Smash experience under my belt. I've always been one to switch around characters constantly, even in other games like Tales of Vesperia lmao
Thank you for the suggestions. I will have to give them all a shot. ROB especially might be a good fit, since I'm a sucker for characters with item game. I will likely end up playing 2 or 3 characters, cycling through as I get bored, and maybe narrow them down as time goes on.
Defensive Player? Mediocre reaction time? Playing Safe? Edgeguarding? Sucker for characters with item game? You my friend should try Pac-Man. He's so defensive that the best strategy against a lot of characters is running away and doing chip damage. Pac-Man also has 9 different items 8 Bonus Fruits plus a Power Pellet. He's also weird and plays differently than anyone else. I personally like Pac-Man because he can get really far without perfect pivoting or anything strenuous on the 3DS. The biggest problem, other than reflectors is that he can be demanding because he can't be auto piloted. You have to be thinking the whole time and mixing everything up to get in on opponents because Pac-Man has trouble against shields.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Pac Man is a character I've being very interested in. On paper, he seems to be a lot of fun and a great fit. He's just very hard to get right. I've been messing with him against friends and he's cool. Might try to buckle down and give him an honest effort for a while. Thanks for the advice, all. Gotta give it time and think more critically.

Onoh

Smash Cadet
NNID
benclaremom
Hello everyone,

-viable competitively
-have a spike

-can edgeguard

You sound like a :4diddy:type of person. Sure, he doesn't have as crazy combos or flashiness as :falcomelee:, but he has good banana setups, great aerials, and fast movement to approach and escape. I would also say :4fox:if you didn't care about the lack of a spike. For secondaries, I would highly consider :4rob:, and :4tlink: because of their edgeguarding and considerably fast playstyle.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Four is fine as well, 3 is just what I see as the most average. Technically speaking I have four mains in Sm4sh :4mario:,:4drmario:,:4marth:,:4lucina: but they're clones that I can put in rotation easily and not be messed up by slight playstyle differences, so it's really just 2 or 3. Alongside this I have 4 other characters I play which are more pockets, but I still put time into them. I haven't been to many tournaments yet, but the real test to how well your amount of mains will fare in your play will be if you're comfortable in tournament while having that many. You can have those mains, but it'll be up to you to decide how you feel with that amount once you start hitting up tournaments
So do you mean that picking three different character playstyles maximum is the ideal? I`m gonna give my examples that I have so far based on your previous advice, because I made a lot of progress (thanks btw):
64 mains: :mario64:(main),:falcon64:(secondary)
Melee mains: :marthmelee:(main), :drmario: (secondary)
Brawl mains: :marth:(main),:mario2:(secondary)
Project M mains: :ganondorf:(main),:marth::mario2::sonic:(secondaries)
Smash 4 mains: :4mario::4sonic:(?)(mains),:4drmario:and ? (secondaries). Not done with finding characters in Smash 4.
I plan to focus more on PM and Smash 4, because they are my favorites. However, I want to have at least 2 characters, because not only I find playing only one character boring, but I want to have as more characters as I can due to how fun the other characters are. As for PM, I transfer my Melee mains in PM, and basically find two other brand new characters since I assumed that I already mastered my Melee mains in PM. What do you think about it?

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
So do you mean that picking three different character playstyles maximum is the ideal? I`m gonna give my examples that I have so far based on your previous advice, because I made a lot of progress (thanks btw):
64 mains: :mario64:(main),:falcon64:(secondary)
Melee mains: :marthmelee:(main), :drmario: (secondary)
Brawl mains: :marth:(main),:mario2:(secondary)
Project M mains: :ganondorf:(main),:marth::mario2::sonic:(secondaries)
Smash 4 mains: :4mario::4sonic:(?)(mains),:4drmario:and ? (secondaries). Not done with finding characters in Smash 4.
I plan to focus more on PM and Smash 4, because they are my favorites. However, I want to have at least 2 characters, because not only I find playing only one character boring, but I want to have as more characters as I can due to how fun the other characters are. As for PM, I transfer my Melee mains in PM, and basically find two other brand new characters since I assumed that I already mastered my Melee mains in PM. What do you think about it?
That sounds perfectly fine to me. For another main in Sm4sh what are you looking for? Just a character you enjoy, or somebody to cover weaknesses?

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I've been thinking of expanding my list of characters who I play as. Here's who I rank at the moment:
Mains: :4megaman: :4kirby:
Secondaries: :4pit:/ :4darkpit: :4tlink: :4feroy:/ :4lucina:
For Fun: :4peach: :4sonic: :4palutena:
I'm not picky on what type of fighter I use, but I've been thinking of adding :4falco: onto the list after Keitaro did really well at Xanadu yesterday (or Tuesday according to the date). I'm more of a defensive player, but some of my characters like :4kirby: are suited as more balanced. Again, I'm not picky on who I play as for the most part. As long as I don't have to touch :4rob: or :4olimar: I'm good.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
That sounds perfectly fine to me. For another main in Sm4sh what are you looking for? Just a character you enjoy, or somebody to cover weaknesses?
Well... Basically I went through these steps and I think it helped me a lot:
1) I set my priorities about which Smash games I want to focus more on. I decided to focus more on PM and Smash 4. So I wanted to have between 2 to 4 characters.
2) For games that I try to focus less on, I only pick two characters. My first character was a character that I want him to be completely solo viable without having too many hard MUs (my main). For my second character, I just picked my favorite character to play outside of my main (my secondary). In Smash 64, since the game is pretty balanced, I chose :mario64: as my first character. The second one being :falcon64:, because not only he's someone that I enjoy, but I think he can help some MUs for Mario. As for Melee, I went :marthmelee:, because I love him and he fits my playstyle. As for my second character, I chose :drmario:, because I feel more comfortable with him than just:mariomelee:. The same case for Brawl, except :mario2: is my secondary.
3) For Smash 4, I try to pick three characters or four if one has the same playstyle. Smash 4 is the only game to where I have two mains. My two mains are characters that I enjoy the most out of the solo viable characters. One of the two is my favorite character and the other is a character that can help cover my first character's bad MUs while enjoying him at the same time. The others are just 2 secondaries. One of them, I just pick whoever I like the most. The other is if this character has the same playstyle as one of the three characters. I have:4mario::4sonic::4drmario:so far.
4) As the case for PM, I just went whoever I want, because the game is so balanced. So I picked my two favorite characters to play that feel different compared to the main Smash games in terms of moveset. I combine my two favorite characters in PM and my mains in Melee, because I feel that PM and Melee are very similar in terms of fighting games, but with slight differences. So I have :marth::mario2:as secondaries (and mains in Melee) and :ganondorf::sonic: as my favorite characters in PM, Ganon being my main.

So to answer your question. I try to find a fun character, but this is the hardest part for me, because I enjoy so many characters outside of my mains in Smash 4. Plus, I try to wait that every DLC character has been released in order to make my final decision. I choose between::4fox::4falcon::4marth::4metaknight::4pit::4myfriends::4shulk::4megaman::4ryu::4feroy:and maybe:4cloud:. So yeah so many options for me. Also, do you think that:4mario::4drmario:count as one same playstyles or two different playstyles?

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
W
Well... Basically I went through these steps and I think it helped me a lot:
1) I set my priorities about which Smash games I want to focus more on. I decided to focus more on PM and Smash 4. So I wanted to have between 2 to 4 characters.
2) For games that I try to focus less on, I only pick two characters. My first character was a character that I want him to be completely solo viable without having too many hard MUs (my main). For my second character, I just picked my favorite character to play outside of my main (my secondary). In Smash 64, since the game is pretty balanced, I chose :mario64: as my first character. The second one being :falcon64:, because not only he's someone that I enjoy, but I think he can help some MUs for Mario. As for Melee, I went :marthmelee:, because I love him and he fits my playstyle. As for my second character, I chose :drmario:, because I feel more comfortable with him than just:mariomelee:. The same case for Brawl, except :mario2: is my secondary.
3) For Smash 4, I try to pick three characters or four if one has the same playstyle. Smash 4 is the only game to where I have two mains. My two mains are characters that I enjoy the most out of the solo viable characters. One of the two is my favorite character and the other is a character that can help cover my first character's bad MUs while enjoying him at the same time. The others are just 2 secondaries. One of them, I just pick whoever I like the most. The other is if this character has the same playstyle as one of the three characters. I have:4mario::4sonic::4drmario:so far.
4) As the case for PM, I just went whoever I want, because the game is so balanced. So I picked my two favorite characters to play that feel different compared to the main Smash games in terms of moveset. I combine my two favorite characters in PM and my mains in Melee, because I feel that PM and Melee are very similar in terms of fighting games, but with slight differences. So I have :marth::mario2:as secondaries (and mains in Melee) and :ganondorf::sonic: as my favorite characters in PM, Ganon being my main.

So to answer your question. I try to find a fun character, but this is the hardest part for me, because I enjoy so many characters outside of my mains in Smash 4. Plus, I try to wait that every DLC character has been released in order to make my final decision. I choose between::4fox::4falcon::4marth::4metaknight::4pit::4myfriends::4shulk::4megaman::4ryu::4feroy:and maybe:4cloud:. So yeah so many options for me. Also, do you think that:4mario::4drmario:count as one same playstyles or two different playstyles?
Doc and Mario are close enough for me to where they don't feel different, but Doc you need to play more defensively with and Mario you just go in with. I count them as similar for myself. It depends on if you think you've felt capable with switching between them so far. I do.

There are SO many fun characters in this game, I agree with that. Let's see, :4myfriends::4kirby::4link::4mario::4marth::4pit::4sheik::4tlink::4wiifit::4zelda::4falcon::4lucina::4robinm::4metaknight::4darkpit::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4ness::4rob::4feroy::4ryu::rosalina::4diddy: Are all characters at some point I have enjoyed a ton. That's like half the cast. So yeah, decisions are hard. I have trouble sometimes, but end up coming back to my already mains and not picking up anybody in the end. I can't say exactly who you'd like best, they're all great characters that you listed. I'm secretly thinking marth, only because you main him in other games and I think he compliments the Marios very decently. Unless you seriously want to decide on that third/fourth main right this moment, I'd probably just keep using those characters you listed in rotation as that place for now. I'm waiting for that very small chance of Icees returning before deciding on bringing up one of my secondaries/pockets to maybe "replace" them, and for now I'm just playing :4ness::4kirby::4sheik::4zelda:, whichever or I'm in the mood for is filling that spot until I truly decide.

But if you want an answer, I'm gonna say marth. Not because you should, and that doesn't mean you have to. But if you focus on Marth, or any other character I could've chosen instead, you'll start to go more in-depth with that character. Going more in depth with a character helps you understand on a deeper level whether you really want to put in work with that character, and if you actually enjoy them. So I say go marth. And if you don't like how his most in depth playing is, go to another character. That's the best input I can make. Hope it helps.

Kulty

Smash Ace
W

Doc and Mario are close enough for me to where they don't feel different, but Doc you need to play more defensively with and Mario you just go in with. I count them as similar for myself. It depends on if you think you've felt capable with switching between them so far. I do.

There are SO many fun characters in this game, I agree with that. Let's see, :4myfriends::4kirby::4link::4mario::4marth::4pit::4sheik::4tlink::4wiifit::4zelda::4falcon::4lucina::4robinm::4metaknight::4darkpit::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4ness::4rob::4feroy::4ryu::rosalina::4diddy: Are all characters at some point I have enjoyed a ton. That's like half the cast. So yeah, decisions are hard. I have trouble sometimes, but end up coming back to my already mains and not picking up anybody in the end. I can't say exactly who you'd like best, they're all great characters that you listed. I'm secretly thinking marth, only because you main him in other games and I think he compliments the Marios very decently. Unless you seriously want to decide on that third/fourth main right this moment, I'd probably just keep using those characters you listed in rotation as that place for now. I'm waiting for that very small chance of Icees returning before deciding on bringing up one of my secondaries/pockets to maybe "replace" them, and for now I'm just playing :4ness::4kirby::4sheik::4zelda:, whichever or I'm in the mood for is filling that spot until I truly decide.

But if you want an answer, I'm gonna say marth. Not because you should, and that doesn't mean you have to. But if you focus on Marth, or any other character I could've chosen instead, you'll start to go more in-depth with that character. Going more in depth with a character helps you understand on a deeper level whether you really want to put in work with that character, and if you actually enjoy them. So I say go marth. And if you don't like how his most in depth playing is, go to another character. That's the best input I can make. Hope it helps.
Oh thanks. I appreciate it. When it comes to listing characters that I enjoy, it's not all of them, because just like you, I enjoy pretty much everyone in the cast except :4olimar::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4ness:.:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4duckhunt::4zelda::4peach::4palutena:are okay, but they're just too complicated or boring to me. The characters that I listed are my favorite characters to play for competitive fun. The rest, I play for casual fun. As for:4marth:, I still like him, but I feel that he's not the :marthmelee::marth:that I know and love to play. I try to pick another character just for a change of pace. I'm patient enough to find the last character, because I want to take the time to take the right character, so that I don't have to change constantly. Plus, I like to play so many characters at the same time. It makes it a lot more fun. Btw, I did make a thread on Mario boards about this question that I asked between Doc and Mario: http://smashboards.com/threads/mario-and-dr-mario-in-one.424479/

Last edited:

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
I currently play Lucas as of right now, but I am looking for a character to pick up alongside him. I love how Lucas plays, with his amazing combo-game, spacing game and amazing recovery but I am looking for a character that has... less... lag on their grab. I don't want to play Ness because I suck with him and his recovery sucks, so I'm looking for a character that has what Lucas has but with less lag. Good combo game, great recovery (I absolutely hate being gimped) and good spacing game/no laggy grab. Any suggestions? I'm in need of some advice here.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Hello. I'm a :4kirby:/:4jigglypuff: main who has a :4ness: Secondary and a pocket :4marth:. My playstyle is usually very aggressive, although I can play very slowly depending on the opponent.... I would like to "hear" you guys' opinions on who should be my second secondary character. I play many characters, but the only good ones I have are Kirby/Puff/Ness (still training Marth XD). The others are:
:4villager::4sheik::4pikachu::4ganondorf::4bowser::4tlink::4falcon:. Which one I will have the most sucess and fits more my playstyle? (I have the feeling it's going to be Sheik). Yup, that's quite some extraneous paraphernalia in number!

Last edited:
Top Bottom