• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Maine Brawl II Jan. 31 2009 DON'T TORTURE MY CATS

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
The Maine Brawl II

I have a fat *** cat and a nip addict. Don't mess with them. I will hunt you down and feed them your souls.

UPDATE:
Is anyone able to bring chairs?

Dazwa:
1 wii

Zesuben:
1 wii

Toil:
1 brawl setup

Jman:
1 brawl setup and 1 extra tv

NZA:
1 TV

Banks:
possibly some chairs

My contact information:
Justin.Kangas@hotmail.com
Jkangas@Lewistonpublicschools.org
207-578-2148
please call only the day of the tournament if you have questions/are lost. Otherwise please email.

28 Hersey St Apt #3
Portland, Maine 04103
Jan. 31, 2009
ITS THE BIG RED HOUSE. STREET PARKING BOTH SIDES OF THE STREET.

When in my apartment be respectful. Don't clog my toilet, don't touch my stuff unless it is related to smash and the tournaments, and don't touch the food in the cupboards or fridge/freezer. The food for the tourney will be on the counters. My girlfriend was nice enough to agree to this, don't make me regret it :)

Perks to my apartment:
No set time limit
A guaranteed copy of melee and 2 complete setups, plus 2 other tvs/monitor.
Food + potty right there.
TONS of street parking available

Starts at 11am, tourney's will go until I kick you out. In the future we will have more time. Please try to register ahead of time by visiting the official site:
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=3601

BRING SETUPS
The more Tv's and Wii's that we have the better. I can hook 1 Wii up to my computer and we can play via my monitor (19"). All of the matches played on that setup will be recorded directly onto my computer. Also, if you plan on bringing a set up try to show up NO LATER than 11:30 so we have time to hook everything up. I am pretty sure I have space for about 6-7 tvs. I already have 2 in my apartment.

ENTRY FEE
In order:
Brawl Singles - $10
Brawl Doubles - $5 per person
Melee Singles - $5
Melee Doubles - $5
Venue Fee - $5 (food, drinks, you are using my house)

Prizes are as follows:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3RD: 10%

TOURNAMENT DETAILS:

Tournaments will proceed as follows:
11-12 registration
Brawl Doubles 12:30 - finish
Half hour break for sign ups, food and free play
Brawl Singles Begin
Melee Singles begin (if there is not much interest, we may waive the entry fee)
Melee Doubles begin if there is interest. If not I am always open to a cheaper second brawl singles tournament.

If for some reason there is a big lack of interest in melee singles or doubles, we can replace them with a second brawl singles tournament with a 5 dollar entry fee.

BRAWL RULES:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.

Stages/neutral
Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter
Brinstar
Pokémon Stadium 1
Corneria
Delfino
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Norfair

Melee Rules
Since I never went to Melee tourneys, I borrowed Dazwa's :) Pretty much what I assumed they were.

• 4 Stock, 8 minute timer, items are set to "off" and "none," all matches are best 2 out of 3 with the exception of Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals (all to be played 3 out of 5)
• First game is double blind character, random stage.
• Second and third games, loser of the previous game picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character.
• No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If a tie still occurs, play a one stock match in the same match-up, character-wise and stage-wise
• Stage Strike: Each person strikes one stage for the entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen. The chosen stage may not be used during the entire set.
• You are responsible for your own controller. Any malfunctions that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
• Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound, Wobbling forever), are banned. Wobbling by itself is allowed, capped at 250%.

Starters
Final Destination
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story
Pokemon Stadium
Fountain of Dreams (SINGLES ONLY)

Counters
Mute City (SINGLES ONLY)
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Pokefloats
Kongo Jungle 64
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom 2 (TEAMS ONLY)
Termina (TEAMS ONLY)

All other stages are banned.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I was gunna question Delfino as a starter, but I saw it's Stage Strike and not Random. So no biggie. Although, IMO, Lylat over Delfino. Temp Walls are teh bad.

But with Stage Strike, no biggie really.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
so you feel lylat should be switched with delfino?

I don't mind switching it, or adding stages. This is only my second tourney to be hosted. Im open to advice.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I made the thread really early. The tourney will be split up between the three rooms in my apartment (not counting the bathroom!). Definitely have more tv's and food than last time.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
might is another way of saying you will definitely be there. Glad to hear it.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
And saying I will definitely be there is another way of saying MrEsc will be there, so be ready for his sick combo. Bring a pen and paper if you want an autograph!

Did you get homebrew installed, Jman?

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
I want to, Im just not sure how to do it exactly. Im going to look into it this week more.

Armus

Smash Cadet
I think we're going to go this time. *shrug*
As long as you don't care about minors in your apartment. LOL.

Except for Loki. He's like...19 or something? I dunno.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind minors. There won't be any alcohol so no worries about that.

Hoser

Smash Ace
I'll probably be here. My favorite stages are allowed here, so I'll do better then at LOBSTER3 (hopefully)

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Also, if anyone can bring chairs. Let me know. They would be useful.

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
Hehe, I have a tournament set up in Kittery the weekend after.

I might have to play a show the 31st, but if I'm not, I'll be there.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you said you could be coming hehe.

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
Hey Mainers & everyone else, you should think about having your tournament at HoloDek... We're a LAN center in Kittery, Maine. We have 8 Wiis and plenty of other good stuff. Restaurant and bar in venue!

Oh and by the way... we're hosting a SSBB tourny February 6th. Here's the info!

SSBB Singles & Doubles Tournament: Bashfest

A portion of the proceeds from this event will go to benefit the NH Teen Institute! We will be holding raffles for their benefit as well!

506 Rt. 1,
Kittery, Maine

Start Date/Time:
February 6th 2009
Tournaments 6:00 p.m.
Warm up 4:00 p.m.

Whichever tournament has less players will start first. Spillover date February 7th bright and early. Players can participate in both.

Singles
Doubles

Cost:
Door Fee: $10 (includes all day pass)
Tournament Fee(Singles): $15
Tournament Fee(Doubles): $30

Pot Splits: 60/30/10 for all tournaments

Rule Set: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187735

For Questions & Registration Call (207)439-4275 or email info@holo-dek.com
Reply here if attending for planning purposes.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
I don't think posting an add for your tourney in my thread is very tactful. You have a thread already. Ill consider the holodek in the future but it is expensive and not in a central location for most of the players which is why I host mine in Portland.

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
I don't think posting an add for your tourney in my thread is very tactful. You have a thread already. Ill consider the holodek in the future but it is expensive and not in a central location for most of the players which is why I host mine in Portland.
Posting about a Smash tournament in a smashboards thread that already has the attention of many players in a similar geographical area should be viewed as beneficial to the community as a whole... no? I'm sorry if it offends you, but I'm surely not trying to steal your contestants! The tournaments are on different weekends altogether. I'm just trying to get the word out.

We aren't charging much more than you are for a door fee, and we supply a spacious venue and it comes with an all day pass. The higher entrance fee only bumps up the prize pool! Also, a portion of the proceeds from our tournament will be going to charity.

I thought you might be excited to hear about it! I'm sorry if I offended you, I'd like to have a good relationship with the Smash community. I won't post ads in your threads again if you wish.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Dont replace Delfino with lylat. Delfino may have perks for certian characters but so does lylat (with the tilting). The striking process can take it out if its a hassle (and you can add lylat as well if you feel like it).

GenocideMachine

Smash Cadet
I'll try to show up -- sucks because I live disgustingly close (I'm at the USM campus in Gorham) but the shuttle buses, from what I understand, don't run to the Portland campus (which is like 2 minutes away from your apartment) on weekends. Of course, I can't drive. If anyone here is coming from USM in Gorham, pm me.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
I can possibly likely pick you up if you need. Gorham is like 15 or 20 minutes away.

GenocideMachine

Smash Cadet
I'll pay for gas if that's the case, but I'll try as hard as humanly possible to find another ride so you don't have to. If anyone is going through Gorham to get to Portland for the tourny, pm me.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
Getting closer. :D

I have to find a ride as well... Hmm... I'll get one.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
My Wii just got back today, with Brawl. :) I recommend shipping to Nintendo for any and all repairs, my Wii runs fine now. :D And now to practice some of these techniques I've been reading about...

Edit: Two days later, I now have a ride and a team member. I'm very excited, it's gonna be my first tournament. :p

Armus

Smash Cadet
My mom "doesn't approve" of my going to a person's apartment to play the vidja. LOL.

Looks like the Rescue Rangers won't be making it to this one.
I know you'll all miss us terribly.

Cam, you better kick *** at this one for me.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
I know very little about competitive Brawl and even less about competitive Melee. :p I dunno, if I have the money, I'll see about entering the Melee tournaments, but I don't think I'll have it and I don't think I'll do well at all. XD

Armus

Smash Cadet
Don't worry about it, brah.

I didn't do well at all in the first tourney I went to.

I tied with Banks.

Top Bottom