• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalblue

Smash Cadet
So how do you guys feel about there being two literal Roys in the game? I can't shake the feeling that'd cause issues somehow for Sakurai.
As a few others have said, there are so many solutions to this problem that it's pretty much a non-issue. My personal preference would be to add "Koopa" to all the Koopalings names and our boy would just stay as "Roy." Any of the other options are fine too, though. Honestly I could even see them just leaving everything as is and not worry about the fact that two characters happen to share the same name. Whatever may happen, as long as we have our crowd chant, I'll be happy.

Fair enough! Alright then; good luck to you all! I'd love to see all the favorite vets come back.
Roy has the tremendous advantage of being popular in Japan.

Consider that Lucas was the most wanted character for DLC in Japan, so Roy is in a similar situation.

Of course, there's also Wolf, popular in both Japan and the West, but things are already looking favorable for him, given he has popularity similar to Lucas (so if Nintendo was aware of Lucas's popularity, they were aware of Wolf's as well) and there's the new Star Fox game, so it makes sense to show him at E3.

And who knows? Maybe Roy DLC could tie with the upcoming Fire Emblem game, even if not by story, but by virtue of belonging to the same series. And this year is the FE series' 25th anniversary, with events related to it happening in Japan.

Roy may be likelier than people might believe...

As for me, Wolf is my only request and vote, as he's the only character I really want to see returning, but I won't deny that Roy's return would be great, as he would be another character to return from Melee (joining Dr. Mario and Mewtwo). Veterans returning are never a bad thing, to be honest.

While I don't expect all veterans to return (especially considering the issues Snake and the Ice Climbers have) and think that newcomers are just important for DLC distribution, it really says a lot when the first two downloadable characters are veterans.

Sakurai did say he dislikes cutting characters and only does so when really necessary, so I could see him bringing a few more veterans through DLC. Wolf and Roy are strong contenders right now. They're popular enough to have a lot of requests.
Good luck to you both as well! Wolf definitely deserves to return and K. Rool is the only newcomer I can think of that I'd be really excited about. It's so refreshing to have some mature, respectful discussions coming in from other character supporters. Hopefully in the end we will all get what we are wishing for.

rodriGOAT

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rod_elCrack
Just made an account to show my support for our boy. Please add me to the supporter list.

Also I don't think having Lucina in the game is a problem for Roy to comeback, as long as he has a different enough movelist he is fine just like Wolf in Brawl.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wouldn't want Roy to be pronounced as "Lord Roy" by the announcer. IDK why but it sorta bothers me. It would be the same thing as saying "Lord Marth" or "Lord Ike" in which all of them sound gimmicky. I would just have the all the Koopalings have the word Koopa added in to their names and the problem is solved just like that. It isn't really a hard problem lol.

Also I don't think having Lucina in the game is a problem for Roy to comeback, as long as he has a different enough movelist he is fine just like Wolf in Brawl.
If anything, it can be a Mario/Doc Mario/Luigi dynamic where Mario and Doc are pretty much exact clones albeit minor things and Luigi is the semi-clone with a distinct moveset. With that being said, Roy should keep his Neutral B since the old Melee one isn't used by Marth anymore and his down B counter (half the roster has a counter so that shouldn't be a problem). Maybe a new side B and/or up B can be implemented to his moveset.

Roy has the tremendous advantage of being popular in Japan.

Consider that Lucas was the most wanted character for DLC in Japan, so Roy is in a similar situation.

Of course, there's also Wolf, popular in both Japan and the West, but things are already looking favorable for him, given he has popularity similar to Lucas (so if Nintendo was aware of Lucas's popularity, they were aware of Wolf's as well) and there's the new Star Fox game, so it makes sense to show him at E3.

And who knows? Maybe Roy DLC could tie with the upcoming Fire Emblem game, even if not by story, but by virtue of belonging to the same series. And this year is the FE series' 25th anniversary, with events related to it happening in Japan.

Roy may be likelier than people might believe...
Didn't know it was FE's 25th anniversary. I think this should really help his chances of getting in seeing as he's the most likely FE character to get in at this point. Japan is our saving grace when it comes to getting our boy back in Smash lol.

rodriGOAT

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rod_elCrack
If anything, it can be a Mario/Doc Mario/Luigi dynamic where Mario and Doc are pretty much exact clones albeit minor things and Luigi is the semi-clone with a distinct moveset. With that being said, Roy should keep his Neutral B since the old Melee one isn't used by Marth anymore and his down B counter (half the roster has a counter so that shouldn't be a problem). Maybe a new side B and/or up B can be implemented to his moveset.
You're right I forgot Falco stopped being an exact clone in Brawl lol

Didn't know it was FE's 25th anniversary. I think this should really help his chances of getting in seeing as he's the most likely FE character to get in at this point. Japan is our saving grace when it comes to getting our boy back in Smash lol.
Yeah I don't think any veteran is going to get as many votes as Roy in Japan. Truly our greatest allies

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Exactly. :falcomelee::ganondorfmelee: were pretty much identical clones to :foxmelee::falconmelee:in Melee but when Brawl came around, Sakurai changed them up so :falco::ganondorf: were unique from :fox::falcon:. Even PM was able to make :roymelee: into a semi clone :roypm:so I don't see why it would be difficult to do the same thing in Smash 4.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
Saw some discussion today on another site where someone actually said that they don't get why anyone would even want Roy back because he was just a "bad Marth clone and he was even worse in his own game."
I cringed and squinted at my screen for like 2min trying to figure out if he was joking or not. Sadly, no jokes.
I still don't see why people can be so erm... dismissive, or unsupportive, of a veteran returning-- regardless of which veteran it is.
But the whole "worse in his own game" part got me, lmao. It always does.

The Japanese Smash/FE fanbase is much more loving of Roy than the western fanbase seems to be, which is a shame. I do wonder how different it would be in the West if the West actually got FE6 localized back then, though. He would probably have much more Western support than he does now.

I made a, uh. Sprite. Banner. Thing? How large are banners allowed to be for things like sigs (or anywhere here really)? I accidentally a big sprite and I'm not even sure if it can be used by anyone here, lmao. If not, I'll just throw it on Tumblr as "support Royboy" fanart and call it a night, but I would really like if it could be used in a neat way outside of Tumblr. If it can't be used here, then I can still link it here after I post it to Tumblr. |D"

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Haters gonna hate like usual. The butthurt is well and alive in these people because Chrom or (insert FE character) isn't nearly as popular as Roy in the fanbase. It can't be helped I guess.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I made a, uh. Sprite. Banner. Thing? How large are banners allowed to be for things like sigs (or anywhere here really)? I accidentally a big sprite and I'm not even sure if it can be used by anyone here, lmao. If not, I'll just throw it on Tumblr as "support Royboy" fanart and call it a night, but I would really like if it could be used in a neat way outside of Tumblr. If it can't be used here, then I can still link it here after I post it to Tumblr. |D"
As a signature? There's a certain max height (cuts off the pic if too big), not sure on the specific height though.

But yeah, FE6 should have been localized at the time. Damn you, NoA! Perhaps we'll see the game on VC (or a remake?) in the future.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I would buy FE6 in a heartbeat if it was on the VC.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
This is a little random, but I just realized something.

King K. Rool's support thread has A LOT more people than us currently. (Not just King K. Rool's but a few). I mean sure, there's people that aren't a part of this thread that are voting for Roy, but that's true for all of the other characters. We need to step up our game to the maximum so that we can see our boy in Smash 4. That means voting 20 times a day. Okay, that may be a little too much but we still need to match the numbers and support of the other cut characters/newcomers. RISE UP AND FIGHT! OUR BOY, ROY, FOR SMASH 4 DLC!

EDIT: Vote here for Roy in this poll: http://goo.gl/forms/3Djln6WV9F That's what is really annoying me right now. K. Rool is at top and we need support from here.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Characters like K. Rool has always gotten more supporters and whatnot. It's understandable too. Smashboards alone isn't everything, however. We're already reaching out to different social media to spread the support around as much as we can. We also have some upcoming plans that hopefully will be carried out soon. But, we can only do so much.

As much as popularity is a good thing, there are other factors to include as well. Even though a character might be #1 in popularity, the character might not even make it in. Still, if I were in charge I'd do whatever I can for that #1 character to be DLC, as long as the character's reasonable. Some major things that K. Rool has going for him (aside from popularity): DK character from a beloved series, villain, heavyweight & interesting moveset potential. So you could see where I'm coming from. Hopefully Sakurai sees the potential because I do think K. Rool should have gotten in the initial roster. Well, better late than never, right?

Anyway, Roy has some other things going for him such as vet status, fans that have supported him since he was cut, and potentially an easier character to develop. Then again, there are some things that may be against him as well. We will have to see what the priorities are, but we did get Lucas. I do think that Lucas was kinda in a similar boat, being that he was popularly requested and from a Japan-only game (though Roy does appear in Awakening so...). I wouldn't be surprised if we get more cut vets.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Then again, their needs to be a balance between bringing back cut vets and introducing new characters. Already, we have Mewtwo and Lucas confirmed and it's pretty obvious that Wolf is getting in. IC's are also likely some time later though most likely not apart of the poll. I think Sakurai will want to put some emphasis on newcomers in DLC.

With that being said, Roy is a step ahead of most requested vets. The only 2 I can think of that are more popular than him are Wolf and Snake and with the whole Konami issue, I think Snake might not make it in (though I do personally want to see him back). I'm guessing theirs going to be at least 5 characters for the ballot so I can see something like this.

1. Mewtwo
2. Lucas
3. Wolf
4. Roy
5. K. Rool
6. Third Part Character (Snake, Banjo/Kazooie, or Rayman)
7. Isaac
8. Ice Climbers

Lucas defiantly gives Roy being DLC a lot of credibility in the poll. This is a character who had his game exclusive to Japan and got in. Not only that, Lucas is a semi-clone and he got in well before anyone else (even some of the most popular characters that everyone has been asking for). With Roy being in the same boat (semi-clone character that has his game exclusive to Japan), his chances are a lot better than one might think.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
It would be cool to see newcomers, for example, I voted for Impa a few times. LoZ needs a new rep in these games, technically not getting a new one since Melee. I just want to see all of the cut characters that people have had attachments to in the series back. After that's all sorted out, and if Sakurai is willing, newcomers as DLC would be amazing.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
As a signature? There's a certain max height (cuts off the pic if too big), not sure on the specific height though.

But yeah, FE6 should have been localized at the time. Damn you, NoA! Perhaps we'll see the game on VC (or a remake?) in the future.
Thanks for the response, it is much appreciated!
Here is the Roy sprite I did (with and without smash ball), lmfao. They are entirely too big for signatures, but I wanted to share them with you guys anyway, because Roy's our Boy, haha. Click on them to see them in full size.
I ended up posting them to Tumblr too so hopefully people notice and vote for Roy. |D That would be neat.
Maybe I'll make a cut down version for sigs. But I would actually have to figure out how to compose that first, haha. Mfw GBA colour palettes...

It would be great to see a FE6 localization at least for VC. I would like to see one for all of them, but FE6 and FE4 are the two that would be the most exciting for me.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Here is the Roy sprite I did (with and without smash ball), lmfao. They are entirely too big for signatures, but I wanted to share them with you guys anyway, because Roy's our Boy, haha. Click on them to see them in full size.
I ended up posting them to Tumblr too so hopefully people notice and vote for Roy. |D That would be neat.
Maybe I'll make a cut down version for sigs. But I would actually have to figure out how to compose that first, haha. Mfw GBA colour palettes...

It would be great to see a FE6 localization at least for VC. I would like to see one for all of them, but FE6 and FE4 are the two that would be the most exciting for me.
Awakening design with Sword of Seals :love:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't either. It's either they think he's a long forgotten Melee character or they just want to convince themselves that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I want the Awakening outfit as well though Roy should have his Melee attire as an alt.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
You know I was thinking Roy could have Eliwood as an alt, then I remember that Eliwood's ultimate weapon was the Durandal, as sword bigger then Ike's Ragnell, so it wouldn't really fit as an alt for Roy. And Eliwood having the sword of seals would be weirder then Robin having Nosferatu.

I've never played FE6. I never played Roy in Melee. I have no sentimental attachment to the character. There are a panoply of characters from Fire Emblem I would prefer over Roy.

But if you like him, that's fine by me. More power to ya. :3
Inbox me if you're interested into getting into Roy's game (english translation) at some point to give him a chance.

Also, like I said once, I'd prefer to play as Eliwood and Lewyn much, much more than Roy, but Roy is important worldwide to Fire Emblem and Smash Bros. fans, he actually has a probable chance, he has a big impact on the life of the series and us westerners getting it period, and many, many more people worldwide would be happy about him than any of my picks. That's why I root for Our Boy. I'd still be able to rep Eliwood's genes and play as a cool guy and stuff, and I play as him in Melee/PM/Brawl- anyways so he'd transfer quickly.

@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 Didn't expect to find you here, Masonry!
sup my *****, you from Facebook?

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

That's so awesome... I'm like fangirling so much right now! Embarrass :laugh: Amazing work!!

Speaking of Tumblr, we were coming up with different way on reaching out to different social media. There's probably some others already created, but I've been making a blog dedicated to Roy's return. Well, actually my sister mostly did all the work since I don't use Tumblr that much, but she's pretty big on it lol. Name: roy4smash4, so hopefully I'll get the ball rolling from that side of the internet soon.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
If we're doing things on all fronts of the internet, I would be willing to start a dA group dedicated to the cause. If no one's done it yet, of course XD

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice

That's so awesome... I'm like fangirling so much right now! Embarrass :laugh: Amazing work!!

Speaking of Tumblr, we were coming up with different way on reaching out to different social media. There's probably some others already created, but I've been making a blog dedicated to Roy's return. Well, actually my sister mostly did all the work since I don't use Tumblr that much, but she's pretty big on it lol. Name: roy4smash4, so hopefully I'll get the ball rolling from that side of the internet soon.
ww Thanks so much <33

Awesome! I'll make sure to start following that Tumblr then-- *goes to the tumblr* *heart melts* aaahhh I love that theme more than anything goodness there's so much Roy everywhere-- okay, okay, followed.

There's a dA group already (Roy-Fan-Club) too that has "VOTE FOR ROY" plastered all over it, which is pretty great. They seem active too because like half an hour after I posted the sprites to dA, they added it to their group x'D So I'm not sure if another group on dA is necessary.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
ww Thanks so much <33

Awesome! I'll make sure to start following that Tumblr then-- *goes to the tumblr* *heart melts* aaahhh I love that theme more than anything goodness there's so much Roy everywhere-- okay, okay, followed.

There's a dA group already (Roy-Fan-Club) too that has "VOTE FOR ROY" plastered all over it, which is pretty great. They seem active too because like half an hour after I posted the sprites to dA, they added it to their group x'D So I'm not sure if another group on dA is necessary.
There is? Oh boy, leaving right now to join it. XD

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Kinda funny since I was thinking about starting something up on dA, but I don't go on there that much (used to years ago). Nice to hear there's already something, will check it out soon.

royalblue

Smash Cadet
Neat, the Tumblr is looking good! You have earned another follower. I know you already have a post about the ballot, but here's another one:

http://themaverickk.com/post/115244534156/seriously-guys-you-know-what-you-need-to-do-fire

That one has more notes than any others I've seen. I'm thinking that we can do what we are doing on Miiverse and all like/reblog it as much as possible to get it the most attention. And that goes for everything on the roy4smash4 Tumblr as well.

If we're doing things on all fronts of the internet, I would be willing to start a dA group dedicated to the cause. If no one's done it yet, of course XD
Deviantart has two Roy groups, but one of them has been dead for awhile. The founder has been taking very long hiatuses.

Here's the link to the other one that Adeptmune mentioned:

http://roy-fan-club.deviantart.com/

The founder is decently active and really cares about the club. If any of you want to join we're always looking for new members. I know the founder would be absolutely ecstatic! She's always sending out tons of invites.

They seem active too because like half an hour after I posted the sprites to dA, they added it to their group x'D
Haha, that was me. Your sprites were so awesome, how could I not add them?

Last edited:

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
Haha, that was me. Your sprites were so awesome, how could I not add them?
Ah ****, I flew away from my computer by a few feet after reading the end of that. There goes the fourth wall between my accounts, lmfao. But I'm glad to know that you guys are on there too xD Thanks for adding them too, by the way!

Also, reblogged that Roy post on Tumblr. <3 Don't even care if my followers start getting swamped with Roy, it's worth it, haha.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
ww Thanks so much <33

No problem.

Yeah, I was searching all day for the "perfect" theme, though I couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for (I'm too picky lol). I eventually settled with that, though I'm still going to touch up some things (such as the mouse). What I like about the theme is that the external links, suck as Facebook, Twitter, etc., are in reddish circles, which I think is a good eye-catcher. I also really like the Post of the Week box (originally "Blog of the Week", but I changed the text). I'm going to update it every Sunday, linking important/popular posts from whatever (Miiverse, vids, etc.) that has to do with Roy, to hopefully gain them some attention.

royalblue

Smash Cadet
Ah ****, I flew away from my computer by a few feet after reading the end of that. There goes the fourth wall between my accounts, lmfao. But I'm glad to know that you guys are on there too xD Thanks for adding them too, by the way!

Also, reblogged that Roy post on Tumblr. <3 Don't even care if my followers start getting swamped with Roy, it's worth it, haha.
Hahaha! Yeah I guess that goes for my accounts as well. And you're welcome! Roy art can be hard to come by sometimes, so I always get excited when I can add something new to the club.

My Tumblr is going to be drowning in Roy pretty soon too. I don't do too many reblogs, but once I start drawing again it's going to be Roy all day erryday.

Yeah, I was searching all day for the "perfect" theme, though I couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for (I'm too picky lol). I eventually settled with that, though I'm still going to touch up some things (such as the mouse). What I like about the theme is that the external links, suck as Facebook, Twitter, etc., are in reddish circles, which I think is a good eye-catcher. I also really like the Post of the Week box (originally "Blog of the Week", but I changed the text). I'm going to update it every Sunday, linking important/popular posts from whatever (Miiverse, vids, etc.) that has to do with Roy, to hopefully gain them some attention.
I had been tossing around the idea of making a Tumblr myself, but I'm so glad you beat me to it because you're handling it so much better than I would have. I love the "Post of the Week" idea!

Neo2k

Smash Rookie
I don't get the Roy hate.
He's a character. having more characters isn't bad, and I don't think he would over-saturate us with swordsmen.
Plus, I think (personally) King K. Rool is ridiculous.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him...just not...yet.
General concensus is that heavy characters suck. And he could end up like another, bottom tier Charizard and Ganondorf.
This is the song cut I'm most salty about. It's one of the few SSBB tracks I never replace when making PM/B- packs.

I want to see any of these on Wily's Castle badly. Originals or remixes, they'd be perfect.
Oh my god I would love an EXE/ Starforce Skin.

Last edited:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
Hahaha! Yeah I guess that goes for my
My Tumblr is going to be drowning in Roy pretty soon too. I don't do too many reblogs, but once I start drawing again it's going to be Roy all day erryday.
If you are going to do some roy art. can I have a link to your blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom