• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if it's been specifically said why. It could be because of a bug... Although, when I see Roy in that unused screenshot, the scabbard's pointing downwards, and if you compare it to his trophy where he's taunting, you can see the scabbard shift position. I'm sure the scabbard's intended to move in-game when he taunts. So, perhaps a reason why they dropped the scabbard was because they didn't have enough time or resources to program it in-game? Or maybe it's the same reason why Roy doesn't have his scabbard in PM (whatever reason that may be)?

Well, I think it would be nice to see Roy have his scabbard in-game this time around.
Maybe they couldn't implement it in gameplay because Roy was added late into development like the other clones.
That, or they just couldn't make it work out for whatever reason. Still, it would have been cool to see him with it.

And I think the PM team said they didn't put the scabbard because there would be file size and clipping issues.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
"Why doesn't Roy have his scabbard in-game? Tune in next week on Gaming Mysteries to find out!"

•Col•

Smash Champion
Speaking of that, did someone ever confirm why Roy doesn't have the scabbard during actual gameplay despite him appearing with it in almost everything else?
I have Action Replay for the gamecube and there was a code that would allow you to play as Roy with his sheath equipped. A LOT of his attack animations clip horribly with it, since he just uses the same animations as Marth. So yeah, the fact that he doesn't have unique animations is the reason why he doesn't have the sheath equipped during battle, unlike Marth who does.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I have Action Replay for the gamecube and there was a code that would allow you to play as Roy with his sheath equipped. A LOT of his attack animations clip horribly with it, since he just uses the same animations as Marth. So yeah, the fact that he doesn't have unique animations is the reason why he doesn't have the sheath equipped during battle, unlike Marth who does.
Ergo, if he at least had different animations, he'd have that badass scabbard in combat!

PROBLEM SOLVED! EVERYONE HAPPY!

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Ah, I see. That makes sense, I guess. Thanks for the information!

Ergo, if he at least had different animations, he'd have that badass scabbard in combat!

PROBLEM SOLVED! EVERYONE HAPPY!
We could very possibly see Roy with several new animations if he does return, so there is a possiblity we could see him with it.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I'm sure Roy would receive some new animations. Plus the fact he'd get more time and resources for development... It's possible we'll see the scabbard. Thanks for the info, Col.

But, most of all, I would like to see him better balanced. I mean, it's not like Melee where he was a late add-on, plus the fact that the game was rushed itself. That's why I'm very exited to see what would become of Roy.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm sure Roy would receive some new animations. Plus the fact he'd get more time and resources for development... It's possible we'll see the scabbard. Thanks for the info, Col.

But, most of all, I would like to see him better balanced. I mean, it's not like Melee where he was a late add-on, plus the fact that the game was rushed itself. That's why I'm very exited to see what would become of Roy.
I'm confident he'll be much better in this game. They had some good ideas for Roy, but due to his late addition, it all just didn't go together well and that was one of the reasons he was completely outclassed by Marth. I still love playing as him, though.

I'm pretty sure they'll rework on his unique attributes and fix the various problems he had.

Last edited:

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
I expect Sakurai to balance Roy out and make him stand out from Marth just like he did Luigi, Falco, and Ganondorf. We just have to wait and see how Roy plays out when he announced and when we finally play him.

Hopefully, he has his scabbard when we see gameplay footage of him. And I think the wiki said that he would have had a taunt similar to Marth's side taunt if the scabbard was programmed there.

We waited for Mewtwo along with a trailer and he got balanced and we can definitely wait for our boy Roy and his trailer and have him much more balanced than his Melee incarnation. Have faith in Sakurai that he will balance him, be able to add in a scabbard, and make him unique when he gets announced, so that there may be even more Roy supporters on our side.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I expect Sakurai to balance Roy out and make him stand out from Marth just like he did Luigi, Falco, and Ganondorf. We just have to wait and see how Roy plays out when he announced and when we finally play him.

Hopefully, he has his scabbard when we see gameplay footage of him. And I think the wiki said that he would have had a taunt similar to Marth's side taunt if the scabbard was programmed there.

We waited for Mewtwo along with a trailer and he got balanced and we can definitely wait for our boy Roy and his trailer and have him much more balanced than his Melee incarnation. Have faith in Sakurai that he will balance him, be able to add in a scabbard, and make him unique when he gets announced, so that there may be even more Roy supporters on our side.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm confident they will be able to improve on him a lot.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
We all know he's going to get a final smash, probably shown in an announcement trailer just like Mewtwo's trailer.

What you people think what his final smash would be? Will it be Critical Hit but with the fire or will it be something unique from Marth and Lucina?

Let's hope he doesn't get Critical Hit just like what happened with Falco's final smash in the game. It should be different.

I think his final smash could be like Project M's but Roy does a very high flip jump, holds his sword above him, charges it with fire, and shoots a wave of fire at his opponents with high knockback.

I think it could be a mix of these two animations. After multiple slashes like in Project M, he does a flip jump like in the first animation, and does the battle animation like in the second animation shown. What do you think of this?

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
We all know he's going to get a final smash, probably shown in an announcement trailer just like Mewtwo's trailer.

What you people think what his final smash would be? Will it be Critical Hit but with the fire or will it be something unique from Marth and Lucina?

Let's hope he doesn't get Critical Hit just like what happened with Falco's final smash in the game. It should be different.

I think his final smash could be like Project M's but Roy does a very high flip jump, holds his sword above him, charges it with fire, and shoots a wave of fire at his opponents with high knockback.

I think it could be a mix of these two animations. After multiple slashes like in Project M, he does a flip jump like in the first animation, and does the battle animation like in the second animation shown. What do you think of this?
Something similar to his Project M Final Smash would be cool to see, or they could also do something that involves his Critical Hit animation and he does something really flashy like a huge burst of flames or a barrage of sword attacks.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Something I did for fun one time on a stream while my mic was out of commission, figured I'd share:

I wound up proving Roy was truly the best fire wielder in Smash. :yeahboi:

And Ike's PM AI is... special.

Screw being a Marth clone. He is fire, he is death.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Something I did for fun one time on a stream while my mic was out of commission, figured I'd share:

No one stands a chance against the PH1R3! Excellent music choice, by the way.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Ready to set the world on fire? Heheheh...

people are going to think we're all pyromaniacs... and I'm okay with that lmao

Roy is truly the best fire wielder. Reason enough to have him return right there!

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Ready to set the world on fire? Heheheh...

people are going to think we're all pyromaniacs... and I'm okay with that lmao

Roy is truly the best fire wielder. Reason enough to have him return right there!
One of the main reasons I began to like Roy was because his color is red, my favorite color, he uses a sword, my favorite type of weapon, and he has fire, my favorite element. It's the perfect combination. (Just like the character in my profile pic and name).

Then I started to learn more about him and the series he originates from, and I grew to like him even more.

Last edited:

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
One of the main reasons I began to like Roy was because his color is red, my favorite color, he uses a sword, my favorite type of weapon, and he has fire, my favorite element. It's the perfect combination. (Just like the character in my profile pic and name).

Then I started to learn more about him and the series he originates from, and I grew to like him even more.
When I first unlocked Roy, I first played him in Training Mode. I kept on fully charging his Flare Blade in Training Mode and using the taunt where he says, "Hee-yah". Just loud and satisfying! I just love it!

I first knew Marth and Roy in Melee, but Roy was the one I liked more. Better and louder voice clips, superior standard B move, and much more.

But the way how his Flare Blade is in Melee just makes Roy awesome. If I had Melee and Project M, I would definitely keep fully charging his Flare Blade in Training Mode and using his taunts. I just like the loud noise he makes the standard move. I would also use his Double-Edged Dance and his Blazer because of loud he sounds along with the sounds he makes from them.

There's so much I want to do with Roy when he returns or if I were to play Project M.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
When I first unlocked Roy, I first played him in Training Mode. I kept on fully charging his Flare Blade in Training Mode and using the taunt where he says, "Hee-yah". Just loud and satisfying! I just love it!

I first knew Marth and Roy in Melee, but Roy was the one I liked more. Better and louder voice clips, superior standard B move, and much more.

But the way how his Flare Blade is in Melee just makes Roy awesome. If I had Melee and Project M, I would definitely keep fully charging his Flare Blade in Training Mode and using his taunts. I just like the loud noise he makes the standard move. I would also use his Double-Edged Dance and his Blazer because of loud he sounds along with the sounds he makes from them.

There's so much I want to do with Roy when he returns or if I were to play Project M.
Yeah, I always thought Roy was much cooler than Marth. I remember me and my friends always used to spam fully charged Flare Blade, it was just so satisfying to use. His lines and cries were also so awesome, and every once in a while I boot up Melee to play him for nostalgia sake and also due to the hype of him potentially coming back.

Project M Roy is also awesome, if you want to know. The various buffs and other changes they made to him make him even more fun and satisfying to play as, and you'll definitely feel right at home with him. You should definitely give that mod a try when you have the chance.

Last edited:

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I always thought Roy was much cooler than Marth. I remember me and my friends always used to spam fully charged Flare Blade, it was just so satisfying to use. His lines and cries were also so awesome, and every once in a while I boot up Melee to play him for nostalgia sake and also due to the hype of him potentially coming back.

Project M Roy is also awesome, if you want to know. The various buffs and other changes they made to him make him even more fun and satisfying to play as, and you'll definitely feel right at home with him. You should definitely give that mod a try when you have the chance.
I hope I do! I once had Super Smash Bros. Brawl and played it on my Wii U, but I sold it. I might get another brand new copy of Brawl and try that mod out.

Can Project M work on the Nintendo Wii U, just like on the Wii?
Does it have its own online service like For Glory?
Is the lag much less than what Brawl had? How is it?

Trust me, I have never played Project M, but I have seen a lot of videos about it, mostly Roy gameplay.

Last edited:
Together We Ride and Roy's Hope - Winning Road are great, but this also definitely needs to be in Roy's reveal trailer. It's too pivotal to the Fire Emblem series and Elibe to ignore:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I hope I do! I once had Super Smash Bros. Brawl and played it on my Wii U, but I sold it. I might get another brand new copy of Brawl and try that mod out.

Can Project M work on the Nintendo Wii U, just like on the Wii?
Does it have its own online service like For Glory?
Is there any lag?

Trust me, I have never played Project M, but I have seen a lot of videos about it, mostly Roy gameplay.
Yeah, you can play Project M on your Wii U. All you need is an SD Card that's 2 GB, but remember that it cannot be any bigger than that. Then go to the official site and download it from there. Just insert all the files into the SD Card, put it on your Wii U, load up Brawl, enter Stage Builder (Make sure there are no created stages, and those include the ones that come with the game when first booted up) and there you have Project M ready to go.

There is online if you download the homebrew version, and whether it's laggy or not, it all depends on how good your connection is. You can find various places that tell you how to play PM online.

Also, I once lost Melee and Brawl stopped working on my old Wii, so I was in a 5 year hiatus of not being able to play any Smash games aside from 64 on my Virtual Console. It wasn't until last year that I finally came back to the Smash scene. I managed to get another copy of both Brawl and Melee, and I kept playing them, eventually getting Project M too, and of course Smash 4 came, and I got it as well. I own all Smash games and play them all frequently.

Last edited:

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you can play Project M on your Wii U. All you need is an SD Card that's 2 GB, but remember that it cannot be any bigger than that. Then go to the official site and download it from there. Just insert all the files into the SD Card, put it on your Wii U, load up Brawl, enter Stage Builder (Make sure there are no created stages, and those include the ones that come with the game when first booted up) and there you have Project M ready to go.

There is online if you download the homebrew version, and whether it's laggy or not, it all depends on how good your connection is. You can find various places that tell you how to play PM online.

Also, I once lost Melee and Brawl stopped working on my old Wii, so I was in a 5 year hiatus of not being able to play any Smash games aside from 64 on my Virtual Console. It wasn't until last year that I finally came back to the Smash scene. I managed to get another copy of both Brawl and Melee, and I kept playing them, eventually getting Project M too, and of course Smash 4 came, and I got it as well. I own all Smash games and play them all frequently.
I'll go ahead and give Project M a try when I get the chance to. And I am very aware of Nintendo banning messages about Project M on Miiverse.
So is there any lag on the 4-Player battles?

I'll probably wait for Project M 3.6 to come out, so that I can play with his Awakening-like outfit.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
Together We Ride and Roy's Hope - Winning Road are great, but this also definitely needs to be in Roy's reveal trailer. It's too pivotal to the Fire Emblem series and Elibe to ignore:

I think Sakurai could go for either "Together we ride" or "Winning Road" for Roy's reveal trailer. Maybe "Winning Road" since Lucas has his Mother 3 theme in his reveal trailer.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I'll go ahead and give Project M a try when I get the chance to. And I am very aware of Nintendo banning messages about Project M on Miiverse.

I'll probably wait for Project M 3.6 to come out, so that I can play with his Awakening-like outfit.
Yeah, Nintendo's very picky with anything that even mentions Project M, and if there's any lag on 4 player battles, again, the main thing is going to be how good everyone's connection is.

I think Sakurai could go for either "Together we ride" or "Winning Road" for Roy's reveal trailer. Maybe "Winning Road" since Lucas has his Mother 3 theme in his reveal trailer.
I don't really think they will use "Together we Ride" since it was already used for Robin/Lucina's trailer. I'm thinking either "Attack" or "Winning Road", or they put both songs together like they did with Lucas's trailer.

Last edited:

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Nintendo's very picky with anything that even mentions Project M, and if there's any lag on 4 player battles, again, the main thing is going to be how good everyone's connection is..
Hey, sorry! I meant the "local" 4-Player battles with the CPU's. Do the "local" 3 or 4-Player battles have lag in them?

And when I meant the online lag, I meant the 1 vs. 1 online battles. Are the "online" 1-on-1 battles in Project M less laggy than Brawl's? I never had a chance to play Brawl's online service, so I don't know.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Hey, sorry! I meant the "local" 4-Player battles with the CPU's. Do the "local" 3 or 4-Player battles have lag in them?

And when I meant the online lag, I meant the 1 vs. 1 online battles. Are the "online" 1-on-1 battles in Project M less laggy than Brawl's? I never had a chance to play Brawl's online service, so I don't know.
Brawl's online was, to put it short, really not good. I guarantee you Project M's is miles better.

Last edited:

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
I wonder why Roy is called "Ginger Marth" by some detractors. Does it mean that Roy has the flaws in Melee that Marth surpasses?

The Awakening texture is in 3.5, you could use it now.

Mewtwo has one theme, and Lucas has two, so what I'm thinking is:

1st: Easily Winning Road to tease Roy, people would think it's Lyndis or something if the first theme is Attack, and I don't wanna be initially let down by thinking "oh crap Lyndis beat Roy's odds into the ground even more" or see Lyn fans get their hopes up.
2nd: Together We Ride, Attack, and/or segments of the series medleys, or something new, FE6 has a whole orchestrated soundtrack to draw from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jkNTREuGg0&list=PL7D08B8575C4E0733

I wonder why Roy is called "Ginger Marth" by some detractors. Does it mean that Roy has the flaws in Melee that Marth surpasses?
They're just being idiots, plain and simple. They'll find any reason to put down a character they didn't vote for.

Last edited:

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
They're just being idiots, plain and simple. They'll find any reason to put down a character they didn't vote for.
There's even a fan-made video where Marth called Roy a "low-class ginger", and Roy got mad about it, and a fight started.
Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PWtzfpAFqk
Start the video at 4:23, and at the end of the video, Roy finally beats Marth.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I would rather have his trailer start with Together we Ride and then end with Winning Road. Together we Ride would make the trailer hype while Winning Road will give the trailer a nice ending.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
I would rather have his trailer start with Together we Ride and then end with Winning Road. Together we Ride would make the trailer hype while Winning Road will give the trailer a nice ending.
That is a great idea! The ending of the trailer with "Winning Road" sounds perfect for Roy. This idea will do him justice if Sakurai goes through with it.

That's the only theme I wouldn't mind being first over Winning Road, since we'd all still know it's Roy. Good idea.

BrawlBRSTMs3 descends from the mass upload heavens to speak to mortals for the first time.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
That's the only theme I wouldn't mind being first over Winning Road, since we'd all still know it's Roy. Good idea.

BrawlBRSTMs3 descends from the mass upload heavens to speak to mortals for the first time.
Even though I would prefer his awakening design to be in SSB4, I wouldn't mind if it was his Great Lord design in Melee or a combination of the two. Regardless, he is still our boy that we will continue to support.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Which video was that?
Also, good to see someone agrees that Roy should have his Awakening attire. Like I said a zillion times, that outfit MUST be his primary attire. Any other outfit is second priority in my book.

Awakening attire Roy + Revamped moveset + New voice clips = SMX's wet dream

Which video was that?
Also, good to see someone agrees that Roy should have his Awakening attire. Like I said a zillion times, that outfit MUST be his primary attire. Any other outfit is second priority in my book.

Awakening attire Roy + Revamped moveset + New voice clips = SMX's wet dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Szf6aXoeE

I noticed that Roy palette, so I had to comment.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I hope Roy gets some different customs from Marth/Lucina. Even if he shares a bunch, that's fine.

Assuming he keeps Flare Blade as his neutral B (overhead swing, self-damage and insta KO all from Melee a la Doc or Mewtwo), I'd like to see a different version of Marth and Lucina's Storm Thrust. Instead of dealing one big hit from the sword and shooting off wind, it'd deal multiple hits at the sword and shoot off fire.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
I hope Roy gets some different customs from Marth/Lucina. Even if he shares a bunch, that's fine.

Assuming he keeps Flare Blade as his neutral B (overhead swing, self-damage and insta KO all from Melee a la Doc or Mewtwo), I'd like to see a different version of Marth and Lucina's Storm Thrust. Instead of dealing one big hit from the sword and shooting off wind, it'd deal multiple hits at the sword and shoot off fire.
There's a good chance that Roy and the other DLC characters may get custom moves. I know Mewtwo does not have any custom moves, but they could be paid dlc. What if Mewtwo has his custom moves when he becomes paid dlc?

About the one custom move you suggested for Roy, that is an excellent idea. I don't even approve of many wind moves there are in the game. So do you mean it is just Flare Blade and when he unleashes the move, it shoots a wave of fire at opponents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom