• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Shrine

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I guess you haven't looked at the Smash Dojo updates. Deoxys was confirmed as a pokeball and today's update Munchlax was confirmed at a pokeball pokemon. These are the only two pokemon that could of taken the spot of Lucario.

-Knight

Black/Light

Smash Master
I guess you haven't looked at the Smash Dojo updates. Deoxys was confirmed as a pokeball and today's update Munchlax was confirmed at a pokeball pokemon. These are the only two pokemon that could of taken the spot of Lucario.

-Knight
. . . How? Who said that they where the only pokemon from the newer gens that could get in?

People and their assumptions. . .

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
In fact, Lucario could be the next Pokemon to get Pokeball'd. No, I'm not anti Lucario, it's just you're making assumptions. Those two Pokemon may not have been competition in Sakurai's mind. The Pokemon Trainer and the Pokemon he has where not a part of the "competition" around here, you know?
Eh, it's not just assumption he's going by, it's history.

Do you really believe that Jigglypuff and Pichu would have been part of the game roster if Western civilization had anything to say about it? The only reason Jiggs was in the game since the beginning was because of her popularity in the homeland of Japan, and the same for Pichu(besides clone time). Sakurai has bent to the will of what was popular before, so Deoxys, Munchlax, Lucario, Gardevoir, etc. have definitely been on his mind at least once on whether they could be playable.

. . . How? Who said that they where the only pokemon from the newer gens that could get in?

Who else in the 4th gen has a good chance of making it in as playable?

As out-of-nowhere as Pokemon Trainer was, his inclusion still makes perfect absolute sense. But the list of both recognizable and player compatible characters in 2nd/3rd/4thgeneration poemon was dwindled slightly thanks to Deoxys and Munchlax being deconfirmed.

But if you do not believe that Lucario is one of the more likely candidates, then who do you think is more likely?

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Yes, remember what he wrote on Deoxys update?

"Now, this one's popular!"

Even though Lucario is more popular? Much more popular than Munchlax, and both Deoxys and Munchlax have been deconfirmed.

If that isn't hinting, then I don't know what is.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Seriously, ever since the Pokemon series icon was changed to be the same emblem used in Diamond/Pearl's touch screen when a battle begins 2 months ago, 4th gen content was as good as confirmed. It still took Munchlax to prove it completely though (not even Drifloon on Stadium 2 was enough)...

Lucario has his way paved for him. People just need to think about one thing: If Sakurai approached Gamefreak to get ideas/models/research/etc., dont you think that Lucario would have come up? And then, would Gamefreak, who spoils Lucario, really keep their mouth shut about his significance in the series? If they didnt, I cant see Sakurai not getting ideas about a playable Lucario...

Kirby knight

Smash Lord

I don't know have you ever heard of the word "popularity" I mean Pikachu was popular do you think they'd add a less popular character like Caterpie over it?

As of right now Lucario is the most popular pokemon of the D/P generation; I mean honestly I bet you think they'd add something like Bidoof over Lucario because you don't seem to know what "popularity" is.

-Knight

Black/Light

Smash Master
Eh, it's not just assumption he's going by, it's history.

Do you really believe that Jigglypuff and Pichu would have been part of the game roster if Western civilization had anything to say about it? The only reason Jiggs was in the game since the beginning was because of her popularity in the homeland of Japan, and the same for Pichu(besides clone time). Sakurai has bent to the will of what was popular before, so Deoxys, Munchlax, Lucario, Gardevoir, etc. have definitely been on his mind at least once on whether they could be playable.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81891&highlight=melee+poll+1999

If Japan liked Pichu than they sure as hell didn't vote for him.

"Yes, remember what he wrote on Deoxys update?

Even though Lucario is more popular? Much more popular than Munchlax, and both Deoxys and Munchlax have been deconfirmed."

All he is proving is that he doesn't give 2 craps about something being popular. And Lucario seems to only be popular in the US/Uk. . .Deoxy was more popular than he in Japan.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
It's just that most people see Brawl as a place for acknowledging Nintendo's achievements.
Surely Nintendo would want to recognize Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, and Pearl, as we've already seen acknowledgement for Fire Red, Leaf Green, and the games they were remakes of.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
All he is proving is that he doesn't give 2 craps about something being popular. And Lucario seems to only be popular in the US/Uk. . .Deoxy was more popular than he in Japan.
That still doesn't disprove the chances of Lucario being playable being higher than that of many other pokemon.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81891&highlight=melee+poll+1999

If Japan liked Pichu than they sure as hell didn't vote for him.

"Yes, remember what he wrote on Deoxys update?

Even though Lucario is more popular? Much more popular than Munchlax, and both Deoxys and Munchlax have been deconfirmed."

You're forgetting the fact that Lucario has his own movie, the only non-legendary Pokemon to play a main part in a movie..

Sakurai will know all about GameFreaks plans to make Lucario popular, infact, he probably knew about them before the movie came out.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
At the time of D/P's release (way before the release of D/P) Lucario and the Mystery of Mew came out to boost Lucario's popularity; I mean in such a short time Lucario became even more popular than Munchlax and Deoxys. I mean they have so much merchandise of Lucario it's almost like he's the Pikachu of the D/P generation.

Lucario is more popular than Deoxys in Japan.

-Knight

Black/Light

Smash Master
I don't know have you ever heard of the word "popularity" I mean Pikachu was popular do you think they'd add a less popular character like Caterpie over it?

As of right now Lucario is the most popular pokemon of the D/P generation; I mean honestly I bet you think they'd add something like Bidoof over Lucario because you don't seem to know what "popularity" is.

-Knight
. . . .What?
Pika=Mascot of pokemon. It's in the ranks of Mario and Sonic when it comes to game mascots. . . why the hell wouldn't he be in?

And who said that the 4th gen would have a PC? Who says that arvg people know wth Lucario is? Lucario has fanbase. . . in the states. Who said that it's enuff to get him in in Sakurai's mind? Hell, Sakurai pokey balled one of the most popular pokemon in the states and said it was "popular". . . how do you know the same wont happen here?

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Blacklight, you are incorrect. Lucario has a large fanbase in Japan as well, as shown by the massive ammount of merchandise revolving around him.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
. . . .What?
Pika=Mascot of pokemon. It's in the ranks of Mario and Sonic when it comes to game mascots. . . why the hell wouldn't he be in?

And who said that the 4th gen would have a PC? Who says that arvg people know wth Lucario is? Lucario has fanbase. . . in the states. Who said that it's enuff to get him in in Sakurai's mind? Hell, Sakurai pokey balled one of the most popular pokemon in the states and said it was "popular". . . how do you know the same wont happen here?
Lucario even has his own movie.

And the reason why you think Lucario wont be playable is because "Who said that the 4th gen would have a PC?"

That's like me saying, "Who said C.Falc needs to be in Brawl?"

Black/Light

Smash Master
You're forgetting the fact that Lucario has his own movie, the only non-legendary Pokemon to play a main part in a movie..
Actually, no, he aint the only non legendary to have a main part in the movies that they have to make every year.:ohwell:

"At the time of D/P's release (way before the release of D/P) Lucario and the Mystery of Mew came out to boost Lucario's popularity; I mean in such a short time Lucario became even more popular than Munchlax and Deoxys. I mean they have so much merchandise of Lucario it's almost like he's the Pikachu of the D/P generation.

Lucario is more popular than Deoxys in Japan."

Can someone please show me some actual Lucario only poke swag?

And Deoxy beat Lucario in a Japanese poll for "what movie pokemon do you want to be on the pokemon movie 10 ticket".

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
. . . .What?

Since when is Japan part of the United States?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
. . . .What?
Pikachu became the mascot of Pokemon due to it's popularity. It wasn't from the beginning. I'm pretty sure there was a poll in Japan that asked who the most popular Pokemon was, so they could have the main character have it in the anime, and it was Pikachu. GameFreak seemed to think Clefairy would be the most popular, which can be assumed due to how much Clefairy was talked about in-game in Red and Blue, it's high usage among trainers, and it even had it's own overworld sprite. (I think this is relevant... If not, then cut me a break with it being 3 AM, maybe?)

Anyway, I'll agree with others who say that with Munchlax as a Pokeball, Lucario's chances have been raised.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Lucario has fanbase. . . in the states.
Gee that line there.

I don't know if you ever heard of Japan; but Lucario is very very popular over there. (There is a JPN character list somewhere on here; it's a very interesting site you may want to take a look at so you can get a better view of the JPN audience).

-Knight

Black/Light

Smash Master
Pikachu became the mascot of Pokemon due to it's popularity. It wasn't from the beginning. I'm pretty sure there was a poll in Japan that asked who the most popular Pokemon was, so they could have the main character have it in the anime, and it was Pikachu. GameFreak seemed to think Clefairy would be the most popular, which can be assumed due to how much Clefairy was talked about in-game in Red and Blue, it's high usage among trainers, and it even had it's own overworld sprite. (I think this is relevant... If not, then cut me a break with it being 3 AM, maybe?)
That is very true.;) . But by the time Smash came out Pika was a mascot.

"Gee that line there.

I don't know if you ever heard of Japan; but Lucario is very very popular over there. (There is a JPN character list somewhere on here; it's a very interesting site you may want to take a look at so you can get a better view of the JPN audience)."

I said the states and I mean't "THE STATES". OMG, one site in Japanese has Lucario as one of their choices. . . wow, that completely tells use how much Japan likes him:dizzy:.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
I said the states and I mean't "THE STATES". OMG, one site in Japanese has Lucario as one of their choices. . . wow, that completely tells use how much Japan likes him.
Oh and you can tell us how much Japan likes him better than anyone else? Do you live there?

What baffles me is that you used to SUPPORT Lucario being in the game as playable(it's right there in the first few pages of this thread). What the hell happened??

Black/Light

Smash Master
Oh and you can tell us how much Japan likes him better than anyone else? Do you live there?
I actually know people who live there. Lucario's story, from them, = "Yay, a new legendary!" (after he was confirm nonlegendary)". . . F him).

But thats another story alltogether. I used the fact that, in a very selective poll of only Movie pokemon, that Deoxy beat Lucario (and all movie pokemon) in the "which pokemon should be on the 10th movie's ticket" contast to show that Deoxy was more liked in that respect in Japan.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
But thats another story alltogether. I used the fact that, in a very selective poll of only Movie pokemon, that Deoxy beat Lucario (and all movie pokemon) in the "which pokemon should be on the 10th movie's ticket" contast to show that Deoxy was more liked in that respect in Japan.
But why are you only going by what the Japanese find popular? That in itself is flawed. And just because Deoxys beat Lucario for a ticket contest you are to assume that that means Lucario is unpopular?

as I said before, what baffles me is that you used to SUPPORT Lucario being in the game as playable(it's right there in the first few pages of this thread). What the hell happened??

Black/Light

Smash Master
But why are you only going by what the Japanese find popular? That in itself is flawed. And just because Deoxys beat Lucario for a ticket contest you are to assume that that means Lucario is unpopular?

as I said before, what baffles me is that you used to SUPPORT Lucario being in the game as playable(it's right there in the first few pages of this thread). What the hell happened??
Like I said, I used this Japan contast to show that, amoung the movie Pokemon, Deoxy was the most popular (more so than Lucario). I stated that before and someone (I think you) said he was more popular.
(I also loosly use the fact that the Japanese pokefans I know says he aint too loved there)

That supports my "Deoxy was popular in both US and Japan yet he got the ball. . . why Is Lucario sooo different?" statements. (I could make a mini-essay about other reasons but it's late. . . you seem to like reading this thread, on on here somewhere.)

Last part. What happened? I stepped back and actually took a look at what was soo appealing about him to me. . . which was only the fact that it looked "coo" and that it would "play like Fox". Than I looked at the fact that alot of other people (99% of the Lucario fans I see on the different forums I go to) only liked the thing because it looked "coo". I tried but thats all it ever boiled down too. . . not uniqueness, just "coo/ fox looking".

And don't get me started on the Lucario Fans that b***ed and moaned everytime Blaziken pasted him on the last poll. I became indifferent to Lucario because of the fact that I couldn't see any real reason for him to be a PC . . . his fans made me disslike him.

Fawriel

Smash Master
In the end you guys can argue all you want, you still don't know what is most important to good old Sakurai.
He's not going to ignore the absolute fan-favourites like Ike.
But the most important question is whether Sakurai thinks a Pokemon deserves it, and that opinion is probably not based on popularity...

Munchlax was dismissed because it's just some cute thing without many special things about it. You could come up with a moveset, but it would most likely feel forced, and next to Pikachu and possibly Jigglypuff, it would add little to no personality.

Well, I guess I'm happy this little bugger's deconfirmed. We'll see what this means for Lucario, but I feel it's a positive development for him...

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
I new straight off the bat from the bad graffics that he was pokeballed. Like deoxys and other AT/pokeballs he had less than perfect graffics, unlike the PCs.
I kind off knew he wouldn't make it. He only had cuteness going for him (or at least in my eyes).

Lucario for brawl! (sorry, but due to school, I have a high chance of not being able to reply if any of you speak to me, sorry)

Cenedar

Smash Ace
So Munchlax is a pokeball... and we can hear the moans of misery coming from the Munchlax for Brawl thread:laugh:

i personally figured he would be a pokeball if he was in at all, I know Sakurai has come up with wacky movesets before but... I just didn't see much potential with the little guy, although I will say that I think it's hilarious that he eats items. Think about it, Smash ball appears and someone throws a pokeball, Munchlax munches on Smash Ball before anyone can grab it...

And just when you thought you couldn't hate Pokemon more lol.

Does this increase Lucario's chances? I think so. If anything it confirms without a doubt that 4th generation pokemon are in the game in some form, and Deoxys and Munchlax (two of Lucario's biggest competition it seemed) are now deconfirmed. But again, it's up to Sakurai in the end.

Lucario for Brawl

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Actually, no, he aint the only non legendary to have a main part in the movies that they have to make every year.:ohwell:

"At the time of D/P's release (way before the release of D/P) Lucario and the Mystery of Mew came out to boost Lucario's popularity; I mean in such a short time Lucario became even more popular than Munchlax and Deoxys. I mean they have so much merchandise of Lucario it's almost like he's the Pikachu of the D/P generation.

Lucario is more popular than Deoxys in Japan."

Can someone please show me some actual Lucario only poke swag?

And Deoxy beat Lucario in a Japanese poll for "what movie pokemon do you want to be on the pokemon movie 10 ticket".
Yes, he is the only non-legandary to have a main part in a movie. His part was even bigger than Mew's.

Lucario only Poke Swag? Have you even looked at the first page of this topic? Did you notice those key rings and other Lucario only merchandise?

And of course Deoxys bet Lucario, Deoxys is an unobtainable Legedary, you can receive 1 Lucario in D/P normally. That's like picking Togepi instead of Darkrai..

But well, now that you made that point, I guess Deoxys might take Lucario's place in Brawl.. Oh wait a minute! :laugh:

kaid

Smash Master
Lucario was the title character of his movie, just like Destiny Deoxys and pretty much all the movies bar Power of One. And before you say mew is too, read it again. It's not about mew, it's about the "Mystery of Mew", ie, it's connection to the tree.

My standard comparison is, The Hardy Boys and the old man's cabin. The Hardy boys are the main character, and while there IS an old man, his cabin is more important.

Mike966

Smash Cadet
That supports my "Deoxy was popular in both US and Japan yet he got the ball. . . why Is Lucario sooo different?" statements. (I could make a mini-essay about other reasons but it's late. . . you seem to like reading this thread, on on here somewhere.)
Lucario is different because he's fighting type, deoxys as a playable character would be very similar to mewtwo, and lucario is a combination between fighting skills and some kind of magic force, which makes him a unique choice for brawl.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Mike966
deoxys as a playable character would be very similar to mewtwo
No, he wouldn't.

Mike966
and lucario is a combination between fighting skills and some kind of magic force
So, in other words, he's like most of the other characters in the game.

I really really really really really really really really really really hope lucario doesn't get into brawl... Munchlax should have been a playable character... If lucario gets into brawl I'll just go insane

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
I really really really really really really really really really really hope lucario doesn't get into brawl... Munchlax should have been a playable character... If lucario gets into brawl I'll just go insane
It's a ****ing game. ONE character in a GAME would piss you off that much?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Oh well I'll personally call the pschye-ward for you if Lucario does get confirmed as a playable character(he has a great chance btw).

-Knight

Fawriel

Smash Master
*pats Megadio's shoulder*

I guess I can't change your opinion about Lucario now, can I?
Chances are that he will be in the game...

I really don't see how he can be so offensive to you, though... I'm not much of a Lucario supporter myself, if at all, but I find him absolutely agreeable. There's nothing too bad about him, is there?

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, I used this Japan contast to show that, amoung the movie Pokemon, Deoxy was the most popular (more so than Lucario). I stated that before and someone (I think you) said he was more popular.
(I also loosly use the fact that the Japanese pokefans I know says he aint too loved there)
Ah yes, the "oh wait he's not a legendary, now he's lame" example you gave. Sounds like your Japanese friends are only interested in a pokemon if it has high stats for the metagame. not very credible.

Why is Lucario different?

Because he hasn't been deconfirmed yet. :p

Honestly, this would only be agreeable if one is to assume that Sakurai is going to add one more poke-character NOT including anyone that has already been shown either in Brawl or Melee.

When you think in that mindset, then there is a small list of candidates, Deoxys, Gardevoir, Munchlax, Blaziken, Lucario, etc. From this list, you knock down the most unlikely and the ones that Sakurai turns into a pokeball. Which ones are you left with?

What it boils down to, basically, is whether YOU, blacklight, believe that there will be at least one more new pokemon character. If you don't, then you have no reason to be debating any of this because in your eyes NO other pokemon is a likely candidate. Otherwise, who do YOU think stands more of a chance?

Last part. What happened? I stepped back and actually took a look at what was soo appealing about him to me. . . which was only the fact that it looked "coo" and that it would "play like Fox". Than I looked at the fact that alot of other people (99% of the Lucario fans I see on the different forums I go to) only liked the thing because it looked "coo". I tried but thats all it ever boiled down too. . . not uniqueness, just "coo/ fox looking".

And don't get me started on the Lucario Fans that b***ed and moaned everytime Blaziken pasted him on the last poll. I became indifferent to Lucario because of the fact that I couldn't see any real reason for him to be a PC . . . his fans made me disslike him.
...That makes no sense.

Lucario is as original as Deoxys. In fact Deoxys is less original as he is nothing more than a space alien version of Mewtwo. Lucario is a substitute for no one.

It sounds more like you just got tired of being ridiculed for liking a monster based solely on aesthetics, but that is NOT a bad reason to like a monster. It's the only reason something like Jiggs becomes playable, pure LOOKs.

It doesn't make sense to me why you stop liking something because it's 'cool'. What other reason must you have? What justification are you looking for? Honestly, did you just stop liking him because everyone else liked him for what you for some reason consider 'wrong' reasons? Why is it wrong to like something because it's 'cool'? It could be a number of reasons, but I'm not here to pass judgement.

In the end you guys can argue all you want, you still don't know what is most important to good old Sakurai.
I'm sorry, but the way you keep 'defending' Sakurai's creative mind it's making it look like you know better than anyone what Sakurai would think. No one who is playing this guessing game of who's in and who's out is claiming to know what Sakurai will do next, but is it so wrong to guess?? Is it really taboo to defend why we think the chances of someone being in or out are high? Sakurai is not some inconceivable god, he is prone to logical decisions and actions just like all of us, and it's not THAT farfetched to try and use logic to see if one can predict what he'll decide next.

Even if he is deconfirmed, he might be a pokeball summon, so you might wanna re-adjust your sentence to something more like "i hope lucario doesn't get into brawl as playable"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In truth you will never find a reason why or why not Lucario should/ should not or will/ will not be in Smash other than opinion

Top Bottom